Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4198 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Who Can Replace Joker After Batman: Arkham City?

• 65 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Batman: Arkham City is probably one of the most anticipated video games of 2011, but it will also mark the end of an era as Mark Hamill, the quintessential Clown Prince of Crime for the past two decades, has said that he will officially walk away from doing the voice of the Joker after this project. With this comes the difficult choice for casting directors of deciding who will take over as the vocal chords behind that infamous rictus grin.  

No Caption Provided
    This got me thinking that maybe I could lend Andrea Romano and other casting directors a hand. Romano, the DC Animation casting director who of course introduced us to Hamill as the Joker, will probably have the biggest hand in selecting a replacement for most projects involving the Joker. So with that, here is a comprehensive list I made of possible candidates for a new Ace of Knaves.  
     == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Kevin Michael Richardson 

An extremely accomplished voice actor, Kevin Michael Richardson has been doing the voices of various comic book and video game characters now for almost 20 years. Bishop, Tombstone, Lucius Fox, Mammoth, Trigon and many others from both the Marvel and DC Universe, Richardson is a possible front-runner for the role after serving as the Joker for the entire five season run of The Batman in the mid-2000s.    

Richardson’s Joker was part of a push for a more realistic Batman as a supplement building up to Batman Begins in 2005 and thus was forced to play a bit more of an urban thieving jester than the genius psychopath with a sadistic sense of humor. Preferring a straight jacket with torn sleeves, bare feet, and dreadlocks to the more traditional custom tailored suit and slicked up hair, Richardson’s Joker still got across that most basic of dynamics, that the Joker must be the yang to Batman’s yin. Throw in a sinister cackle cross bred with a hyena for his laugh and Kevin Michael Richardson did something that you want to see from whatever actor takes the role, he worked with it and tried to make it his own. Add in his experience already working with Andrea Romano on several projects to put him a little higher than a lot of the competition.  

No Caption Provided

John DiMaggio 

Another top of the line voice talent, John DiMaggio is best known as Bender from Futurama and Marcus Fenix from Gears of War. He also got at least one shot as the Joker when he voiced the Harlequin of Hate for the recent Batman: Under the Red Hood straight to DVD movie from DC Animation.  

Strongly criticized for his portrayal of the Joker, I actually enjoyed his performance except for the fact that he didn’t make it his own. It seemed more like he was trying to blend Heath Ledger from The Dark Knight with Mark Hamill’s vision of the Joker instead of bringing something unique to the table. If he should land the role, I hope that whoever the casting director is works with him on trying to make the character more his own instead of trying to give fans what they expect from the character because he definitely has the chops to reach greatness. John also has the advantage of having worked with Andrea Romano as he also portrayed Aquaman and Gorilla Grodd in episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.    

No Caption Provided

Jeff Bennett 

Another 20-year veteran of the voiceover business, Jeff Bennett is playing the most active version of the Joker at the moment in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon. The cartoon is a campier version of Batman and his rogues gallery that harkens back to the original run of the comic series of the same name from the 1950s, and so Bennett’s Joker is not nearly as sadistic or sinister as we’ve become more accustomed to. There are some episodes that have shown that he maintains his obsession with Batman, but the overall tone of the show prevents Bennett from ever showing that real dark side that fans have come to expect from the Joker. Not to say he couldn’t do it, but if Bennett were to become to the number one candidate, he’d have to show that he has the range to take the character where the fans want to see it go if it would be a permanent fix.  

Being the Brave and the Bold Joker has afforded Bennett the chance to work with Andrea Romano, but it’s more likely that the campy scripts of Brave and the Bold have written off his chance of becoming the Joker full-time. Not to mention, he seems to be just imitating other campy voice versions of the Joker from decades earlier and hasn’t made the character his own at all.    

No Caption Provided

Scott Cleverdon 

Not many people may know of Scott Cleverdon, but when sitting down to make my list, he was one of the first names for me to come to mind of people who have never played the Joker. Comic book fans may know Scott best for his portrayal of Carnage in the mid-1990s Spider-Man cartoon as well as his brief stint in Batman Beyond as Jack of the Royal Flush Gang.  

It is his experience as Carnage that really piqued my interest because there are few maniac villains who could come close to the seeming randomness of the Joker’s ways, but Carnage is definitely one. Carnage kills because he loves to kill and that easily could transition into the Joker. The Joker and Carnage are seen as so similar that they even teamed up in a 1995 one-shot crossover versus Spider-Man and Batman. Obviously, Cleverdon would need a bit more control with the Joker to get that calculating nature across if he were to become a candidate, but his high-pitched hyena giggle that he used with Carnage could work very well with the Joker. He has never worked with Andrea Romano and bringing the two of them together could also lead to an interesting exploration of the character.   

No Caption Provided

Michael Nicolosi 

Another candidate who has never played the Joker, but is familiar with sadistic clowns is Michael Nicolosi. He may not have the voiceover experience as some of the others on this list, but he did do a fantastic job as the Clown form of the Violator in the late-1990s HBO Spawn animated series. Obviously, in terms of language used, the Joker will be much more toned down than the script used on a premium channel, but Nicolosi provided that perfect calm before the storm. As Violator, he had a cool demeanor that put enough unease in you to know without seeing it that there was a monster just bubbling below the surface, which is literally the case in Violator.  

Michael Nicolosi hasn’t worked with Andrea Romano either, but if he can flick that special switch on and off with the Joker like he did a decade ago with Violator, then he might be someone who should be given a look for those really dark storylines involving the Clown Prince of Crime. 

No Caption Provided

Frank Welker 

This candidate is probably the biggest wild card (pun intended, pun always intended), but is also easily the most experienced voice actor on this list with more than 40 years under his belt. Frank Welker played the campiest version of the Joker on this list when he played him as a part of The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians in 1985. He has also played nearly every character imaginable and if you saw the list, you’d understand why I think he has the range where, if no others rose to the challenge, Frank could steal the title for himself and provide us whatever version of the Joker we want. Whether a dark, sadistic murderer, an aloof thief and eternal foil to the Dark Knight, or a campy jester prancing around with exploding whoopee cushions, Welker could get the job done.  

Andrea Romano and Frank Welker worked together on the 1980s Jonny Quest and several other cartoons so these wily two veterans are probably very well acquainted with one another, which makes you think that if Welker hasn’t been used before for some other projects involving the Joker, then maybe he doesn’t have it in him to play the more serious Ace of Knaves.    

No Caption Provided

Jack Nicholson 

Here’s the long shot, and I know how much of a long shot this is, but hear me out on why this could work and why DC Animation should pursue Jack. The reason why this came to mind is I just moved and was looking through my video games and I came across my copy of From Russia With Love from the last generation of consoles and thought how great it was for Sean Connery to reprise his role as James Bond more than four decades after he shot the corresponding film.  It’s not like he had a lot on his plate though due to the natural ageism that comes in Hollywood. There are simply less roles out there for older actors.    

So here is an opening for the Joker, a role that Jack Nicholson defined for many people back in 1989. Movie roles are starting to dry up a bit for him. I’m sure he could find time in the basketball off-season to head over to a recording studio and reprise a role that many still see him as being the best live action version of. Even if he only does it for one movie or one video game, the appeal for all of us Batman fans out there to hear Jack do the Joker again would make it one of the best selling DVDs or games of that year. Gimmicky yes, but gimmicks sell and you can’t tell me you wouldn’t be curious. 

Me, Ray Carsillo 

Ok, honestly, this has been a dream of mine for years and at this point it’s probably the best way to get my name out there. If somehow Andrea Romano sees this, then maybe I’ll have a chance because I love the Joker so much I even have my own set of razor blade playing cards.    

My name is Ray Carsillo and yes, I have done voiceover work before. Not a lot, but I have a radio/TV background and voiced a couple PSAs and commercials. You would have to trust me on this until you heard it, but I have the most maniacal laugh of anyone you’ll meet and can change my demeanor on a dime if necessary. I think I’ve shown my passion and more than any of these others guys on the list, I come cheap (I used that same line on the folks at Comicvine). All I’m asking for is a tryout…and if you would like a sniff of my flower?  

-Ray “StrongProtector” Carsillo       
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Kevin Micheal Richardson...hes got the voice!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By Caligula

DiMaggio, I loved him in Under the Hood. I think he was my favorite Joker ever.

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By GraveSp

I really liked  John DiMaggio

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

My vote vote goes for Jack Nicholson, Scott Cleverdon or John DiMaggio. I think John DiMaggio or Scot Cleverdon have the best chance for the character. Jack would be great but I'm not sure he has much of a chance though or even if his joker will work in that universe.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @G-Man:  Nice article i was wondering the ame myself, Hamills work has bene steller and will be missed. Personaly I liked John Dimaggio's works on Under the red hood thought his joker came across well. Saying that Michael Nicolosi's work as the vindictor is probably my all time favorite animated vilains (as a huge spawn fan). I was hoping he would be back in next series of spawn animation if it ever happens, His Joker would be intresting i imagine.  Out of loyalty to the vine thou you complete my top 3 picks since it was also be kinnda cool. 

the rest while also intresting posabilties just dont fit for me.
    Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Jayso4201

NO ONE will replace Mark Hamil for me I've grown up with him as the Joker for years. Jack and Heath both made wonderful performances but Mark has been the quintesential Joker for years he'll be hard to replace. I did like the fella from Under the Red Hood.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By ComicCrazy

John DiMaggio definitely
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

Who criticized DiMaggio? He was great!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @lazystudent: Ray actually wrote this one. There was a glitch and it showed me on the forums.
    Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By darth_brendroid

I'd like them to give Jack a go. If they can't, on of the other former Joker's could work just as well.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Bestostero

sad to hear that he won't voice joker at all anymore...

Well i thought John DiMaggio did a good job in under the red hood...

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @G-Man:  yeah i gathered after i posted it i remember you posting a link to picture that had your real name on it lol. But i didnt go back and edit it since i gathered it was probs to late anyways.
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bobby X

DiMaggio 

Jack Nicholson is a complete fantasy. He will NEVER voice the Joker in a DC direct to Blu-ray /DVD movie or television series. They will never be able to afford him.
    KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KZR

John DiMaggio is quite good but Mark Hamill is gonna be hard to replace.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Darkmount1

DiMaggio would be okay for me.  To me, Cleverdon will always be Carnage.
    Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

you

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FLStyle

Scott Cleverdon was great as Carnage, I'm sure he'd make a decent replacement.

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Band Lone

Stupid move..

Duude they're paying you to talk! What better job than that?!! 

I wish I had a voice acting career..

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

I like very much John DiMaggio

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait? we're allowed to suggest ourselves?  Hell I'd have to throw my hat into the ring then.  I do alot of acting and my most well recieved performance was as Renfield in a dark, serious production of "Dracula" I won't lie that I tried to sneak a few elements of the Joker into the part, and it worked out well...

But as for people who could honestly be in consideration... I think if they could get him, Robin Williams would be the best person for the part.  His voice is so versatile and he has a great way of portraying dark characters with sick senses of humor.

Maybe even Charlie Adler would be a good pick.  As far as I can tell he's only done light, funny voice-over roles, but he can do the freaky shrill laugh that would be great for the Joker.  He also has it in him to do a veryt theatrical bad guy, which the Joker certainly should be.

As for the talents you've listed. I think DiMaggio would be the best pick.  Richardson and Bennet are both great actors who I have enjoyed in countless roles, but I just couldn't get very invested in either of their portrayals of the character.  Also I wouls say that John brought plenty of his own elements to the part.  First he played the character in a lower register which by itself gave him a much different sound than Hamill.  But beyond that he made the character a bit snarkier than we;ve seen him before, like he was having more fun pushing Bat's buttons than the other's.

As for you, I would have to hear what you sound like (as I'm sure you would need to hear me) before I say one way or the other. But as my opinion isn't the one that counts, chase the dream, good sir. ;)

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Isn't Jeff Bennet Johnny Bravo?

Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!: yes he was, along with countless other roles over the years.
    I_Am_Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By I_Am_Dark

DiMaggio. If I hadn't known it was him, I would've mistaken him for Mark in the first few scenes of the Red Hood movie.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Pokeysteve

I thought DiMaggio was the weak link in Under The Red Hood. His Joker was awful and just like ol' Ray I too thought his version was too Ledgery.  

They should just hold auditions. Someone out there has to be able to do that laugh. It's all about the laugh. Hamil was the best because he mixed it up. Watching Batman: The Animated Series you can hear Joker never laughs the same way twice in a row. Dammit Hamil!! 

matrix10st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matrix10st

I persoanlly like kevin michael richardson and jack nicholson But maybe if we heard a sample of Ray's voice i would go towards him but until that day or if it even happens gooo ray Team Joker-Ray  go But i thinkn Kevin is the more accurate choice but he is more of a street voice i dont know if i can imagine him voicing a suited joker with slick pointy green hair i mean maybe if the voice he used previously was toned downed and just alittle less loose but more sinister and arkham crazy like a literal arkham

Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Achilles.

Crispin Freeman. Does a great job on Alucard.

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Sadhu

DiMaggio gets my vote!
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28  Edited By The Lobster

John Dimaggio....

Wait am minute, everyone on IMDB, ComicVine, and various other websites loved his portrayal. It's practically unanimous that most Joker fans think he is best replacement. Who criticized his portrayal cause they're in a minorities.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dark Cell

U cant replace Mark, however Scott Cleverdon  is the bests choice on that list. Having said that they should stop using the joker as the antagonist and use someone else after Mark leaves.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I concur with all who said Cleverdon. Its not a name I ever would've picked, but as soon as i saw the picture from the 90s Spidey cartoon I had that "lightbulb moment." As long as its not Jeff Bennett. I loathe his performance on TB&TB. His voice is so incongruous with the character, and even in the Emperor Joker episode, I feel like he's not drawing on the zaniness of the character. This may be more a criticism of the show, but I think the tone would be perfect for someone who would play it like Cesar Romero did.

Honestly, this just shows how perfect Hamill was. He could express the goofy, crazy Romero side, the cold, calculating Nicholson side, and (strangely enough since he came before) the terrifying, amoral, psychosis of the Ledger side. NO other actor has balanced the role like Hamill, and I'm sad to find out he will be relinquishing the role.

DKing_CiCADA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DKing_CiCADA

I <3 John DiMaggio's voice. I also like the idea of Scott Cleverdon

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32  Edited By DMC

Two thumbs waaaay way  up for Kevin Micheal Richardson. 

No Caption Provided

I saw plenty of The Batman and he definately has the skills to do it. What convinced me was his portrayal of Mr J in Batman vs Dracula and "The Laughing Bat" episode where he becomes Batman. 

Just AWESOME  ^_^

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mumbles

bender!

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chris2KLee

As much as I didn't enjoy "The Batman", I did think the Jokers voice in that was pretty good.

Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DMC:  Oh man, that picture just gave me an idea.  James Woods would make an amazing Joker!
    WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WizardShazam

Not  DiMaggio. As much as I would love watching an Aquaman spin-off of Brave and the Bold, his Joker annoyed me every time he opened his mouth in Under the Red Hood. Cleverdon is certainly an interesting pick and one I would not mind hearing, though I am sure there are plenty of talented voice actors out there that would drop everything to voice the Joker.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#37  Edited By JonesDeini

Jack would be awesome. Like the voice actor on The Batman as well. 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NightFang3
    @Achilles. said:
    " Crispin Freeman. Does a great job on Alucard. "
    This.
    Avatar image for lovingdamnation
    Lovingdamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Lovingdamnation

Nicholson gets my vote

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By darkcloakx

kevin michael richardson for me. beside hamill 

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I agree with everybody I think John did a great job.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42  Edited By kennybaese

DiMaggio all the way. If they really let him cut lose, especially in the Batman: Arkham games, I think he would be absolutely fantastic.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By SuperXAsh

I liked DiMaggio's Joker, though it'd be nice to see Richardson's Joker voice in a more sinister slightly traditional role. 

*shrugs* 

The dude who voiced Clown from Spawn would be pretty spooky though.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By goldenkey

I don't like any of those choices.  they need to find a regular film actor, not a voice over actor.  Professional voice over actors just OVER act way to much.  It's what kills half of Marvel animation. 
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#45  Edited By Dracade102
    @Bobby X said:
    " DiMaggio   Jack Nicholson is a complete fantasy. He will NEVER voice the Joker in a DC direct to Blu-ray /DVD movie or television series. They will never be able to afford him. "
    This. times a millions.
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dorsk188

I like DiMaggio as Bender and Jake the Dog, but his voice is too distinctive.  I want someone's voice who I can't quite place where I've heard them before. 

Alternatively, they could get SomeRandomGuy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSsWVwFpNzs#t=8m39s

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula said:
    "DiMaggio, I loved him in Under the Hood. I think he was my favorite Joker ever. "

Agreed After Mark Hamill he would be the best choice.
    MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By MrMazz

I actually really liked Jon Dimaggio as the Joker he would work really well him or Kevin Michael Rishardson would be great

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ssejllenrad

Heath Ledger? hehehe!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Trodorne

So only the joker can replace the joker. i mean it would be innevitable the someone will try to copy cat the joker and his type of crimes there are quite a few copy cat criminals, so think that someone out there would be that deranged to become the next joker. 

or we could end up seeing something like in Batman Beyond where a copy cat gang would appear called the jokers gang where they commit crimes looking like a bunch of circus clowns.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.