What is the Joker most afraid of?

#1 Posted by Graysonfan11 (172 posts) - - Show Bio

Some say batman but i am skeptical

#2 Posted by Dracade102 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio

He might be afraid of loosing his edge on insanity and turning debilitatingly crazy... But I'm not sure.

#3 Edited by rico_3088 (486 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

this

#5 Posted by KenTheProfile (402 posts) - - Show Bio
@Graysonfan11
that Macho madness is storng then his madness. 
no actually the death of Batman. with out him the joker has no perpose.
#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Batman Beyond cartoon, he was pretty scared of a Batman that makes jokes about him. He got pretty pissed about it too.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: getting pissed and being scared are 2 totally different things

#8 Posted by katanalauncher (934 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone else killing Batman I guess.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: True, but he's never been that angry before. It had to have been triggered by something. I say it was fear.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I took it for frustration because the Batman he was so obsessed with wasn't capable of carrying on their game anymore. Yes Bruce Wayne was still alive and there was a new Batman but it wasn't the way he wanted it to be. If you really get down to it his real worst fear is losing the real Batman because without him Joker doesn't really know who he is or what his purpose is

#11 Posted by Icarusflies (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

@rico_3088 said:

The have a superman/batman comic about what joker is afraid. it is issue number # 65 http://www.comicvine.com/supermanbatman-sweet-dreams/37-177933/ check it out not one of the better stories but worth a read. If i remember Joker was afraid that no one was scared of him and that he was a real clown (funny)

Yep, I was going to say this.

He was terrified of being laughed at.

#12 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

Bees ;D

#13 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio

The scarecrow doused him with fear gas once...it didn't work,and he then proceeded to beat him with a chair...I don't think he fears anything

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

The scarecrow doused him with fear gas once...it didn't work,and he then proceeded to beat him with a chair...I don't think he fears anything

I was just about to reference this.

#15 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd disagree with those saying nothing and say that he fears a world without Batman. Because without Batman he has no purpose.

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

I'd disagree with those saying nothing and say that he fears a world without Batman. Because without Batman he has no purpose.

he wouldn't exist without Batman though....or would he??
#17 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Great moment, and it's generally the view point I take.

@The Dark Huntress said:

I used to feel this way and for a while during Morrison run on Batman and Robin it was this way. Then at the end he concluded that without Batman he'd become a vigilante himself. The Clown Prince of Crime turning hero struck him as the ultimate joke and his new driving purpose. Then of course Bruce Quickly punched him out before he could start his new Journey.

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, obviously.

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini: which only supports my theory because without Batman he was starting to become a different person

#20 Posted by XLR87T3 (3024 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael Jackson.
#21 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@JonesDeini: which only supports my theory because without Batman he was starting to become a different person

Yeah, I could see how you interpret it that way. He tried the game with Dick and it just wasn't the same. As he said "the little bird and I are too much alike". But he wasn't lost, he found a purpose almost immediately. first his purpose was to get revenge on the Black Glove and Hurt. And as soon as that was over he decided to be an antihero. I don't think Joker fears anything. Least of all he'd fear losing his purpose. I ascribe to the "hyper sanity" theory when it comes to Joker. He makes himself over almost daily, reprograms himself so to speak. I think many great writers have effectively used this aspect of the character to great effect. Just recently Snyder had him in the process of doing this during his Detective run. Once the new "O.S." takes hold he acts based on his new purpose/motivation.

I think fear is a concept so foreign to him that it can't register or be felt by him. I really don't think his mind can process it. He can see it, manipulate it in others for his needs but he himself lacks the ability to feel it. In that sense he's similar to how James Jr. doesn't feel empathy but could see it in Dick and knew how to use it against him as a weapon. The one time I can say I've seen the Joker genuinely afraid was when Manhunter used all his telepathic might to force sanity upon him and he immediately felt the weight of his sins and begged to be put down before he could kill again and that moment was quite, quite fleeting. Perhaps he felt fear during Hush when Bruce nearly killed him, but I think that in a sick way he enjoyed that moment. Despite him begging to be spared I think he relished in the possibility of Bats killing him when he was in fact innocent.

#22 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

On top of Scarecrow's gas, which can be explained away as an immunity to the chemical itself, Raven once dug into him and used her powers to bring out his deepest fear, SPECIFICALLY trying to see what he was afraid of. All he did was laaaugh and laaaugh and laaaugh. I don't think he's afraid of anything.

#23 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini:

When did the manhunter do that to him that sounds awesome also when did he decide to become an antihero cause i gotta pick that up

#24 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm sorry someone had to say it

commitment

#25 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor:

Ha! Good one!

And to answer your question to the best of my ability I think the Manhunter thing happened in that "Emperor Joker" story. And he decided to go all vigilante during Batman and Robin I don't won't to spoil too much about that but he plays a big role in Morrison's run on the book.

#26 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2014 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

well 90s joker did want to kill batman so badly and rule the city 
the whole purpose thing was just brought out in modern comics to establish this psychotic relationship between batman and the joke , and making good stories that make readers doubt batman's sanity this story trend has to stop
#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

Not really, as it was shown that with Bruce gone, he just became Oberon Sexton. The Joker as a persona ceased to exist, but the "man" himself didn't.  

Joker doesn't fear anything, his super sanity supersedes fear.
#28 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: I hadn't read that far @____________@

#29 Posted by Billy Batson (58305 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfunny jokes.
BB

#30 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

do crazy people get scared?

#31 Posted by stikfigureman2 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking a world where he is the only person alive.

#32 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Not having Batman around to play with.

#33 Edited by entropy_aegis (15437 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an attention seeker,his greatest fear is people/Batman ignoring him.As a result he loses his unpredictability in such circumstances and it kinda becomes easier to anticipate him/get inside his head.But you never know,he's an inconsistent character,writers can always alter him anyway and nobody can complain.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@cattlebattle said:

I was just about to reference this.

This could also be because of his chemical immunity though that concept was added to the character years after his encounter with Scarecrow.

#34 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Joker doesn't scare lol. Any idea what comic that one from though? I would love to see Joker beat Scarecrow with a chair!

#35 Posted by entropy_aegis (15437 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@cattlebattle said:

Joker doesn't scare lol. Any idea what comic that one from though? I would love to see Joker beat Scarecrow with a chair!

Knightfall.

#36 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Thakns!

#37 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

A routine. As a creature of chaos, Joker would fear being forced into an orderly schedule. Now place him somewhere where he can't get out of, and you have Joker's Hell.

#38 Posted by Hazlenaut (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

Boredom: he hates status que and loves a challenge. If he wins he want to make sure that is a big show. If he dies he wants to with a boom.

#39 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

he wouldn't exist without Batman though....or would he??

Well, he certainly wouldn't be COMPLETE without Batman.

#40 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

do crazy people get scared?

they're scared of pills

#41 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes scared of reality.

#42 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

People not laughing

#43 Posted by Tigerstriper (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

I think that at his core he's afraid of Batman, but at the same time he can't function without him.

One one side, his fear of Batman is why he goes to such lengths to antagonize him. He wants to drag Batman down to his level. To beat what he fears most the only way he knows how.

On the other side he can't exist without him. Have you ever heard of someone being fascinated by something that scares them? Like watching a horror movie, being too scared to look, but peeking between your fingers. During the "Emperor Joker" storyline, he kept killing Batman over and over, but he could never rid himself of him because he cannot keep him out of his mind. not for long anyway.

There have been times when he becomes infuriated at the thought of someone else killing Batman. The caped crusader is HIS to conquer, and nobody else.

#44 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's capable of maintaining fears. Even though losing Batman has proven to always be a boiling point, he has coped even with that (turning sane, becoming a vigilante or turning himself in & becoming a vegetable).

Scarecrow's gas did work on even him on a non-canon (?) Batman / Superman story where he was afraid people thought he was funny instead of being terrified of him. In his hallucinations, he was practically drowned in the picture with a car full of other clowns. And Raven's powers made him experience his fears (which he laughed off). He might "fear" something as in being caught off guard by something, but I think any of those will work just once.

#45 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

....clowns....

#46 Posted by GalacticRavenous (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Penguin. If he saw him he would explode.

#47 Posted by Darizuka (8 posts) - - Show Bio

i think its safe to say what Joker fear the most is being sane..

to be as boring as ordinary people

and no longer have a good punchline.

#48 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

To be sane and not for people to care about his "humour," shall we say.

#49 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

He fears His past He Has forgotten and tHe trutH His past Holds.

June'sVeryOwn

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.