Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4210 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

The Next Joker? Who And Why...

• 57 results
    Avatar image for liquidsnakezero
    LiquidSnakeZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LiquidSnakeZero

No Caption Provided
    Okay for the next Batman movie who would you chose to be the next Joker and why? I think it should be 2 time Best Actor Academy Award winner Daniel Day Lewis. He was Heath's mentor for a bit and a dear friend. Day Lewis is one of hollywood's golden geese. You May Have seen him in "There Will Be Blood" or "Gang's of New York" Or Even The Boxer. Daniel is legendary for his preparation of roles. Actually mastering every role he has ever encountered. Anyone disagree to him? I think he would knock Heath Ledgers performance out of the park. 
    Oh and don't say no one will ever be good as Heath because if Jim Carry or Johnny Depp had done the role everyone would say no one would ever surpass them. No one ever expected Heath Ledger to do as well as he did. In 1989 everyone said Jack Nicholson's joker was immortal and would never be surpassed and look what happened nineteen years later.

No Caption Provided
                                                                                                                            >>>>> Daniel Day Lewis =D
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Dont really know too much about him. But there is bound to be another person to reprise Joker sooner or later... may it be another 19 years or not... It's bound to happen.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheBug

This gentleman is the next Joker. His take is obviously heavily influenced by Ledger, and yet he has his own unique charm. 
    Check out his vids, its almost like a mini series.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @TheBug said:

"

This gentleman is the next Joker. His take is obviously heavily influenced by Ledger, and yet he has his own unique charm. Check out his vids, its almost like a mini series. "
    Yeah he is alright.
    Omega-Mekix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Omega-Mekix

I think that it is possible for someone to replace, even outshine, Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. But this was one of his last great performances (he was in the making of another movie) so we may want to respect him by leaving his Joker as he left it. 

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phorqe

Nothing irritates me more thane people trying to emulate Ledger's performance. Having someone try to re-do what Ledger did would be silly and a complete bastardization. Joker is insane, it wouldn't be out of the question to have the character be played differently as his psyche is in constant flux. 

If Heath didn't die there wouldn't be all this f'n buzz about him. He's this generation's Cobain. He was moderately talented but will be hyped up by all the people that want to say "What if---"

Please save yourself some humiliation and get off this dead guy's dick.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TazzMission

retire the joker heath did a amzing job with the charachter. the next bat flick needs the riddler with edward norton as the role
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ARMIV
    @TheBug said:

"

This gentleman is the next Joker. His take is obviously heavily influenced by Ledger, and yet he has his own unique charm. Check out his vids, its almost like a mini series. "
    Pretty darn good at it.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

It would be a long time befor will get another good Joker.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    500 Days of Summer star, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

No Caption Provided
    Rothschild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Rothschild
    @TazzMission said:
    "retire the joker heath did a amzing job with the charachter. the next bat flick needs the riddler with edward norton as the role "

Yeah Right!!! Ledger aint the alpha and omega of the Joker... Great acting job, So Was Jack's, but NO! Other people can be the joker, I agree with the Thread Starter who said Daniel Day-Lewis, he's a  GREAT actor, check out Gangs of New York, Teh Crucible, Last of the Mohicans, There will be Blood... The man is a genius at his craft...
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By burr787

I don't think that there should be another Joker until they start another set of Batman movies. It just wouldn't make any sense, if you get someone to act like him then that just wouldn't be the same and if you make if act like the more Mark Hamill Joker than that wouldn't match the movies feel.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By likalaruku

If there was a non-Nolan film & it used the RIP style Joker, I'd pick either Johnny Depp (Sweeney style) or David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust style). If it's the super classic Joker, then Jim Carey (Cable Guy style). 

I stopped paying attention to actors & Hollywood in the mid 90s, so I have no idea who the hell is acting anymore. I could only say "this or that guy" from a TV series.
    Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

Daniel is too old. 
    @Roxanne Starr said:

" 500 Days of Summer star, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

No Caption Provided
    "
    why?
    tht Joker Blogs guy is cool...
     Curtis Armstrong does a nice Joker voice..
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By warlock360

Luke Skywalker

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @MoonKnightFan123 said:
    " Daniel is too old. 
    @Roxanne Starr said:

" 500 Days of Summer star, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

No Caption Provided
    "
    why? tht Joker Blogs guy is cool...  Curtis Armstrong does a nice Joker voice.. "
    'Cause he looks like the Joker?
    Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phorqe

The only person with the drive and motivation to play the Joker is HANSEL! 

mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mv
    @LiquidSnakeZero said:
    "

Okay for the next Batman movie who would you chose to be the next Joker and why? I think it should be 2 time Best Actor Academy Award winner Daniel Day Lewis. He was Heath's mentor for a bit and a dear friend. Day Lewis is one of hollywood's golden geese. You May Have seen him in "There Will Be Blood" or "Gang's of New York" Or Even The Boxer. Daniel is legendary for his preparation of roles. Actually mastering every role he has ever encountered. Anyone disagree to him? I think he would knock Heath Ledgers performance out of the park. 
    Oh and don't say no one will ever be good as Heath because if Jim Carry or Johnny Depp had done the role everyone would say no one would ever surpass them. No one ever expected Heath Ledger to do as well as he did. In 1989 everyone said Jack Nicholson's joker was immortal and would never be surpassed and look what happened nineteen years later.

>>>>> Daniel Day Lewis =D"

Yep
    Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Tmul501

I agree that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a good choice. He's a good actor. I really like Daniel Day Louis. He's an excellent actor, but just because he's a great actor and has a similar hair line to ledger's doesn't mean he's a good choice. He's too old for the part IMO. And the guy in the therapy begins video...He's just doing an impression of heath ledger doing the joker, he's not 'being' the joker. I highly doubt he'd even be considered for the part. 

Who ever it is will have a lot of pressure on them. Even if they do amazing many people will say it sucks because it's not heath ledger. But, I do hope they use the joker again in a future film.

Adlyn Armon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Adlyn Armon

The guy from the Joker Blogs, definitely. He's fantastic, and gets better every episode. The eighth and most recent one is the best thus far.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arjuna

Jack Nicholson!  ...  Yes, again! 

It'll be like Frank Miller's version of Batman, where Batman's an old-man.  Joker can be an old man too! 

I say this kinda jokingly as an off-the-cuff idea.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arjuna

I don't think that they'll do the Joker again.  Maybe they'll mention him...  No reputable actor would want to sully Heath's Joker performance with their own.  They wouldn't wanna touch it with a ten-foot pole.  They'll either introduce new antagonists, or bring back old ones.

comicace1395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By comicace1395

Johnny Depp. He can play pretty much any role. And at the begin of Dark Knight Heath Ledger smiles and when he does he looks just like Johnny Depp.

NagolNuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NagolNuff
    @TheBug: he's pretty good with practice he might be amazing, but he's pretty much copying heath, which I don't mind, cause I never liked it when they replaced the character with another actor with one reason or another,always seemed to kill it for me, we pretty much need a heath clone to continue and this guy is doing it for me, he needs to work on his acting and his voice, but he has the look down
    TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TazzMission

the only person imo who can do joker is mark hammil. other than that i cant think of anyone else. 

as for depp for some reason i see him as mad hatter 

edward norton for riddler
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey

@LiquidSnakeZero said:

"

>>>>> Daniel Day Lewis =D"

Lewis would be by far one of the best for the part.  I don't think he would do it tho.  I don't see Lewis doing a roll done by someone else before him, and with the problems of getting into the character of the Joker and what it supposedly brings to the actor he would.  Jack told Heath not to do it because it brings you to dark places, and we know what Heath said about it, and what it caused him.  Still we can only dream he do the part, he would be great.  I don't think it would be that difficult for most actors to do it.  Where the problem is, do they do Heaths version of the Joker since it's in Nolans world, or do they do their own Joker.  Personaly I think that Jack and Heath both did great jobs, and what they were both lacking was what the other brought to the character.  Jack had more of the wacky humor that Joker has, and Heath brought the sadisticness that Burtons Joker was lacking.  Combine the 2 and you get Mark Hamills version. (even it's animated)
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By goldenkey
    @Arjuna said:
    "Jack Nicholson!  ...  Yes, again!  It'll be like Frank Miller's version of Batman, where Batman's an old-man.  Joker can be an old man too!  I say this kinda jokingly as an off-the-cuff idea. "

Agreed.  I don't see another actor wanting to step into Heaths shoes unless they are desperate for work and want to get thier name out there.  It'll be an unknown because of that.  What else would they have to lose.  But a fifty year old version of the Joker is something new, something fresh, and Jack would perfect for it.  Plus he wants to do it.  Why not.  Right there W.B. would millions just because Jack would be doing the Joker all over again.  Then he'd get the best actor nom for his Joker and this time the situation is differant.  They didn't give it to him the first time because it was, well the Joker, and they don't give Oscars for comic book rolls, and people complained about it because he deserved it then.  Heath changed that, all bets are off now.  Jack would end up surpassing a man who surpassed him with the same roll he did alomost 20 years earlier.  Ironic isn't it. 
    TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TazzMission

no i want joker to be retired from film heath made the joker perfectly. 

i would say though the next thing they can do is have someone whos well good to play harley quinn
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By Moomin123

For me, a Heath Ledger look alike will do. I think Johnny Depp will do good, They were both in "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" and they look very much alike. See. 

Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1

no... they don't

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Moomin123: they have the same facial hair, that's about it...

My vote: The guy for the Joker blogs. He has Ledger's mannerisms down flat and looks a decent amount like the Dark Knight version. 
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Moomin123
    @Venom-Hulker_1 said:
    "no... they don't "

Well if they were both wearing Joker make-up they would.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Moomin123
    @Moomin123 said:

"
    For me, a Heath Ledger look alike will do. I think Johnny Depp will do good, They were both in "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" and they look very much alike. See. 

"

Okay, I admit that these photos that I've chosen are bad. But here's 2 pictures which might change your mind. But to be honest, I have a feeling you won't change your minds. 

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By The WeatherMan

You CAN have too much of a good thing. Thats why I don't think the next Batman movie should have the Joker in it again. Okay, something like a cameo appearance or a mention, or like a flash shot of his cell and a shadow just sitting in the middle of the room. But thats it. You don't get to see his face, you don't get to hear his voice, you just get to feel his presence. Just to wet the appetite. I think it would leave a much better impression. 

Next movie should have a different villain. Riddler is always welcome, maybe Hush? He could be a great broken mirror image of Batman. Penguin? Not in the main villain role, but sure. My bet is on the Riddler though.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Moomin123
    @The WeatherMan said:
    "You CAN have too much of a good thing. Thats why I don't think the next Batman movie should have the Joker in it again. Okay, something like a cameo appearance or a mention, or like a flash shot of his cell and a shadow just sitting in the middle of the room. But thats it. You don't get to see his face, you don't get to hear his voice, you just get to feel his presence. Just to wet the appetite. I think it would leave a much better impression.  Next movie should have a different villain. Riddler is always welcome, maybe Hush? He could be a great broken mirror image of Batman. Penguin? Not in the main villain role, but sure. My bet is on the Riddler though. "

I think the Riddler will be the next villain. But if they do decide to use the Joker again in another film, then I think Johnny Depp could be good. David Tennant would be a good Riddler.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By G'bandit

Jim Carrey looks just like him and can make the voice. 

There's a picture in the net where he looks just like Heath's Joker.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By UnsolvedParadox

Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be an interesting choice, but he'd have to adhere to Heath Ledger's portrayal pretty closely. 

I actually like the idea of The Dark Knight Returns a few years after the 2nd movie, and a slightly older Joker being portrayed by Johnny Depp if Christopher Nolan is set on revisiting the character.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Croaker

Now, first of all, DDL is one of my favorite actors. Definitely among the top 5 and sometimes I rate him the best. I love My Left Foot, Last of the Mohicans and Gangs of New York.

But I wouldn't want him to play Joker. I think he's about 20 years older than Ledger (though, he looks great for his age) and is, IMO, a completely different sort of actor (and of much greater caliber). He could copy Ledger's mannerisms, but it would make me feel kind of hollow (partly because, although Ledger did pretty good, there's room for improvement which this continuity no longer allows).

Gordon-Levitt might be able to pull it off as he is Ledger's age, looks a lot like a him and has proven himself as an actor.

Though I love the Nolanverse Batman movies, I kind of wish the slate could be again be wiped clean and the key roles be recast. Joker's role might be one of those that has become untouchable for quite some time.  Adrien Brody could have done a Killing Joke-esque Joker (he even kind of looks like him in that), but his appearance is so radically different from Ledger is not possible in this movie series.

All in all, I'm very much for the idea of bringing Joker back. I want him to taunt Batman from inside his asylum cell.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Croaker
    @goldenkey said:
    "

@LiquidSnakeZero said:

Jack told Heath not to do it because it brings you to dark places, and we know what Heath said about it, and what it caused him. 

*rolleyes* 

OH PUH-LEEZE! Ledger didn't die beacuse of his role as the Joker. He died because he OD'd after a long time of insomnia (which he had long before signing up for DK).  

And Nicholson didn't say anything about the role affecting anyone's mind. He was just being a vain prick because someone else was cast for a role he is well known for.
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Silver Knight75

Crispin Glover 

He has some of the physical traits of Joker and has been known to play some strange characters

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#43  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @TheBug said:
    "

He's a really amazing Joker
    Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Croaker
    @Silver Knight75 said:
    " Crispin Glover  He has some of the physical traits of Joker and has been known to play some strange characters "
    He's a quirky guy, but I just can't see him being able to be menacing.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MKF30

I personally would love to see either of these two as the next Joker(if they bring back the character within the next ten years) 

Brad Dourif(who I read Ledger was actually very much inspired by, if you check out Exorcist 3, watch Brad's performance...Ledger definitely took some cues there but implemented his own style) 

Crispin Glover: 

Honestly, either of these guys are awesome actors for the role if you think about it, and picturing make up either is a dead on ringer...especially Crispin...his facial structure screams "classic Joker"  

And Brad has that aura about him, he's one of the best character actors ever... 

Both are quirky and have a unique style, forget the typical choices of Johnny Depps and Daniel Day Lewis's.....and Depp really? The guys a good actor but I don't think his style fits Joker at all...I think you have to get an actor that's lesser known(much like they did with Ledger) since Depp was an original rumor....and someone that will surprise you... 

You see, Depp is in every other movie it seems...and would be like ohh typical, let's cast Depp as "the joker" lol.. I'd love to see either Brad or Crispin be the next Joker....check out their roles in other movies and you'll see what I mean about "a disturbed, unique style" to their acting...that would just scream Joker.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @MKF30: 

I think Crispin would be great!  (I think Brad is extremely tiny, if I remember correctly, and all the other actors would tower above him.)

I saw that movie with the mouse and it was awesome!!! 

And I incorrectly told you that I never worked for DC. I did...when I letterered all those Big Books. But I never lettered any mainstream DC books involving the "DC Universe."
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MKF30

Brad's not really tiny lol, he's 5'9 :P  usually when someone says really tiny I think 5'4 minus lol. 5'8 is average height, 5'9 is fine IMO. Not the tallest but certainly not the shortest either.

Glover is 6'1(little bit taller then Brad) , Not that Joker is really a "tall character" anyway lol but I think either can definitely pull it off. Yeah, Willard where he controls the Rats is awesome, there was a sequel via the books but never made it to film yet. 

Ohh cool, ok. Cool to know I also made a mistake when I said Alan Moore worked for MKvs.DCU, I meant Alex Ross lol....:P

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @TheBug: Damnit, I was gonna put a JokerBlogs vid up. xD
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

How about we make him look like he does in the comics by getting an Italian Mobster looking guy

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MKF30

They kind of did that in the first one(original Michael Keaton film I  mean) a little bit, well the mobster part anyway..lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.