Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4237 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

The Cult of the Joker

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided
    While still in the process of catching up on my the back reading while I missed from a month away from comics, I finally caught up to this month yesterday and so started in on the first entry in the list, that being Detective Comics.  Detective Comics is in a strange area these days, with its first story arc kind of falling flat, and things seemingly not improving much from there.  There are numerous things wrong with this series but the beginning of the issue gives a good example of what is wrong.  Since the Joker's disappearance a group of followers have gathered to demand that he be returned or that Batman face the responsibility of his actions which led to the disappearance.  Coincidentally though last night I watched the Spike Lee movie Summer of Sam for the first time.  It details the somewhat real life events of the paranoid hysteria which surrounded New York City during the murder spree of Son of Sam, most of whom lived in a sense of near constant vigilance over the threat that he posed.  While he was not necessarily always on everyone's mind, he was in fact universally reviled.  And he killed 6 people, not the hundreds that the Joker has, and indeed after he killed he claimed to be part of a massive cult, which are seemingly just the creation of a madman with nothing to do with reality.  Of course comics can and often do represent an extreme of society to create a somewhat fantastical setting, this development in Detective Comics has pretty much lost touch with reality altogether.  Detective Comics won't fail of course - if DC were ever to fall on hard times it and Action Comics would be the last two titles to go - but it sure seems like the concept behind it which is giving us such out-of-touch plot devices will have to change sooner rather than later.  
    Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Jayso4201

Coolio article!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

I stopped reading Detective Comics after issue 2. Just did not seem that important to pick up.

PS Coolio article.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Jockerz are awesome. From Batman Beyond.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: Sure but that is a dystopian idea, of course there have to be weirdos there
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Sam Berkowitz was universally reviled???...........................Okay

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz: PREJUDICE!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @ReVamp: Sure but that is a dystopian idea, of course there have to be weirdos there
    I think the Jokerz from Beyond make sense more because it's in the future and what the Joker actually did would have been desensitised over time, also it would have been distorted and changed to suit peoples beliefs, kind of like how Neo-Nazis see Hitler.   On the subject of Detective Comics I'm going to be dropping it after this issue, Batman running in to a crowd of Jokers oh a whim with no back-up plan just doesn't sit right.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ReVamp

LOL. I just said Jockerz for the hell of it, I'm not trying to make any logical argument whatsoever.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: Thats the second time today you accused me of something :P 

@spiderbat87: I agree, though I am curious to see if they can make more out of Charlotte
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz: Eh, I'm crazy. =P

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Soulstealer

@spiderbat87 said:

@RazzaTazz said:
    I think the Jokerz from Beyond make sense more because it's in the future and what the Joker actually did would have been desensitised over time, also it would have been distorted and changed to suit peoples beliefs, kind of like how Neo-Nazis see Hitler. On the subject of Detective Comics I'm going to be dropping it after this issue, Batman running in to a crowd of Jokers oh a whim with no back-up plan just doesn't sit right.

Goblin cult exists in Amazing Spider-Man and Norman is both in my opinion crazier and more dangerous than the Joker. Joker's got a higher body count and all but really let's be honest, the idea that it took off with Bikers isn't all that surprising...counter culture is counter. That's not to say that all Bikers are sociopaths or outcast (meaning extreme and violent outcasts in this context), that's to say that sociopaths and outcast have more room to flourish in counter culture elements and with the concept of the Jokerz I feel the same could be said.

Long story short, crazies exist in all societies and cultures and if you give crazies a common interest you can find them together. lol So I don't think it's as fantastical as you think otherwise serial killers wouldn't have trading cards or be getting fan mail. Not saying everyone that is into this takes this stuff seriously, but there are always people that do.

@ReVamp said:

LOL. I just said Jockerz for the hell of it, I'm not trying to make any logical argument whatsoever.

Also agree with this, but likewise I thought a logical argument could be made, so I had to give it a go. XD

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Soulstealer: Interesting, and crazies do congregate I guess, but so many in one place is kind of unrealistic
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Soulstealer: Serial killers have trading cards? 0_o
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By CATPANEXE

Persons heavily guided by insanity, particularly flavored with criminal tend to gravitate towards each other in groups, or the be grouped together due to not fitting in with others. Hence cults. I can't understand where evidence indicates that as unrealistic when it lines up with reality.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Hector

This book must be a hit with the Juggalos. haha!

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Soulstealer

@RazzaTazz said:

@Soulstealer: Interesting, and crazies do congregate I guess, but so many in one place is kind of unrealistic

Why? I know it's 2012 and all but there are very much hate groups, not to mention quite a few groups dedicated to much more horrendous past times. To be honest I don't see serial killer lovers (or even super killer lovers) being that much worst all things being considered. Besides, to be honest with the internet existing groups are even easier to get together no matter the interest.

So the world is as horrible as the people in it, one way or another.

@spiderbat87 said:

@Soulstealer: Serial killers have trading cards? 0_o

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/T12DAUK5BHP08CH2T

Edit: @ CATPANEXE

Very much agreed.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

Reminds me of the Bat cult/gang from the Dark Knight books.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By jrock85

This issue was weird.

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By superbatprime

It's art imitating life... This happened already.

The point was proven after the Dark Knight was released... you couldn't move on the internet without bumping into 50 bazillion angst ridden teenagers posting vids of themselves wearing LedgerJoker makeup cackling away in nasal voices and asking us if we wanted to know how they got those scars ( tbh I was never sure if they meant the liquid latex ones on their faces or the mental ones that drove them to debase themselves in front of the world on Youtube).

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BatteredArmor

hmmm...so you want to change the plot devices in Detective Comics, well only one thing can change the cult of Joker

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for counterfeit_skeleton
    Counterfeit_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have played off the "Occupy" Joker cult thing, I liked the idea. It could have tied back into the Dollmaker, since that was left unresolved...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.