Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4237 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

The better Joker: Jack Nicholson or Heath ledger?

• 114 results
    modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The better Joker: Jack Nicholson or Heath ledger? (194 votes)

Jack Nicholson 24%
    Heath Ledger 74%

I know this has been done before, but not in the form of a poll question. Simply put, which one did you find better? and why? Be as descriptive as possible, folks.

• 
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Jack never really striked me as the Joker.He seemed more like a serial killer rather than the Joker.While Heath is the best interpretation of the Joker in the cinematic universe.His portrayal is the closest one to the comic book Joker.

Maybe I should've added Mark Hamill to the polls.

Yea,it would've been good.

Seeing as how Ledger's obviously the more popular choice in this thread, I'm gonna pit him up against Hamill in a second thread.

Then he would probably lose.

I don't know, there are a lot of Nolanites in Comicvine lol

There are also a lot of Nolan haters.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jack was brilliant but Ledger was legendary.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@rustyroy said:

This.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ledger gave a performance that will

be remembered for decades. Jack did great, but not as memorable. I don't enjoy the cartoony type Joker.

Also lol at the people saying Ledger only is praised because he died.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By modernww2fare

Ledger dominated this one for sure

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#56 frozen  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Jack never really striked me as the Joker.He seemed more like a serial killer rather than the Joker.While Heath is the best interpretation of the Joker in the cinematic universe.His portrayal is the closest one to the comic book Joker.

Seeing as how Ledger's obviously the more popular choice in this thread, I'm gonna pit him up against Hamill in a second thread.

But also alot of TAS fanboys.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 frozen  Moderator

Ledger dominated this one for sure

Because he should. Jack was okay, but that was about it. Ledger truly was legendary.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Which are you?

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@modernww2fare said:

@tdk_1997 said:

I was just pointing it out is all

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 frozen  Moderator

@modernww2fare: I love TAS and the Nolan films, while Nolan's films did not get everything right, neither did TAS. Conroy's voice is overrated beyond hell, his voice does not work for every film. For example, there is no way it would fit with Peter Weller in DKR or Greenwood in Under the Red Hood.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare: I love TAS and the Nolan films, while Nolan's films did not get everything right, neither did TAS. Conroy's voice is overrated beyond hell, his voice does not work for every film. For example, there is no way it would fit with Peter Weller in DKR or Greenwood in Under the Red Hood.

Not to discredit those voice actors who did a great job, but I can easily see him using his Batman Beyond voice in DKR, and his Arkham games voice in Under the Red Hood. And ANY voice can work in the Nolan films LOL as long as it doesn't sound like he smokes 10 packs of cigarettes a day.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

Not to discredit those voice actors who did a great job, but I can easily see him using his Batman Beyond voice in DKR, and his Arkham games voice in Under the Red Hood. And ANY voice can work in the Nolan films LOL as long as it doesn't sound like he smokes 10 packs of cigarettes a day.

His Batman Beyond voice was not very different to his JLU voice and Bruce was in his 80s in Batman Beyond. In DKR he was 55 years old, and DKR was based on Dirty Harry. For a TAS episode, they specifically used Ironside's voice (the man who plays Darkseid) and not Conroy's voice:

This was from an episode of either TAS or The New Batman Adventures, not using Conroy's voice.

Loading Video...

As I said, DKR was actually based on the fourth Dirty Harry film, Weller's voice fit perfectly too.

Loading Video...

Conroy's voice does not fit well with the Nolanverse, it hardly conveys any emotion, far too monotone.

Loading Video...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Ledger. Nicholson was fine for it's time, which was still dealing with the after effects of the camp-era and the grim new post-crisis world... and they didn't have Killing Joke to work off. But looking at it today, those old batman movies look very poor in comparison to those of today.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By modernww2fare

@frozen: boy, you're really not keen on Conroy's voice. Monotone and lack of emotion you say?? With BTAS he actually made his Batman and Bruce Wayne voices distinct without sounding retarded (I'm looking at you Bale, except for Batman Begins). I can see what you're saying in his more recent movies, but in BTAS he showed plenty of emotion! Just look at this scene for example after failing to save Gordon from being shot

Loading Video...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 frozen  Moderator

@modernww2fare: I have seen that scene, that is one of the few examples that he displayed emotion, and it isn't too great. His voice sounds too stretched, still does not match up to Greenwood's voice in Under the Red Hood, where not only did you feel the emotional punch of the story but also the emotion within their voices.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By modernww2fare

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare: I have seen that scene, that is one of the few examples that he displayed emotion, and it isn't too great. His voice sounds too stretched, still does not match up to Greenwood's voice in Under the Red Hood, where not only did you feel the emotional punch of the story but also the emotion within their voices.

he sounds fine. There's a reason he's been hired as the voice of the Bat for 20+ years

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 frozen  Moderator

@modernww2fare: And yet I still bet he did not get paid as much as Bale.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

How the hell can you compare them in that department?? of course live action movies make more money than cartoons.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

How the hell can you compare them in that department?? of course live action movies make more money than cartoons.

Because your statement of 'being the voice for 20 years' does not mean much.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By modernww2fare

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare said:

@frozen said:

Because your statement of 'being the voice for 20 years' does not mean much.

But I'm comparing Conroy to the other voice actors, not Bale. And of course it means a lot. If his Batman voice wasn't as good as everyone says it then I doubt he would've been hired to voice him for that long, ya' Nolanite you

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to like Jack's portrayal of the Joker before there was anything to compare it too but looking back it was actually pretty over rated. Jack basically played the same character he always plays. While Ledger's portrayal might not have been a perfect representation of the Joker it was still a valid interpretation and he did an amazing job acting in it. Personally I'd love to see the next version of the Joker to hit the big screen be played as really gay. I'd like to see Guy Pearce have a go at the roll because his character in Pricscilla Queen of the Desert is actually pretty close to how I imagine the Joker to being. He might be too old for the role now or at least he will be before the Joker gets another live action appearance.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I liked both. I definitely liked Heath's Joker more than Bale's Batman. My rank for Batman live action actors from best to worst would be Keaton, Kilmer, that guy in the video, Adam West and then Clooney. :P

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare said:

@frozen said:

His Batman Beyond voice was not very different to his JLU voice and Bruce was in his 80s in Batman Beyond. In DKR he was 55 years old, and DKR was based on Dirty Harry. For a TAS episode, they specifically used Ironside's voice (the man who plays Darkseid) and not Conroy's voice:

This was from an episode of either TAS or The New Batman Adventures, not using Conroy's voice.

Loading Video...

As I said, DKR was actually based on the fourth Dirty Harry film, Weller's voice fit perfectly too.

Loading Video...

Conroy's voice does not fit well with the Nolanverse, it hardly conveys any emotion, far too monotone.

OMG I KNEW I WASN'T HAVING DEJAVU. When I finally saw DKR it felt like I had seen it years before but you know that couldn't have been possible.

bernardopina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really to compare apple with bananas. It's just different, each actor with his special interpretation that made Joker legendary on cinemas. But if i am to choose just one, it would be Ledger. Just love that dark insanity side of the Joker, more than the goofy Joker from Nickelson.

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

If he's included then my votes go Mark>Heath>Jack. Mark is my favorite, Heath is the best live-action we've seen, and Jack was funny but like @tdk_1997 said he didn't really feel like the Joker I fell in love with in the comics.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ClarkKent12

Heath; Jack was revolutionary and so receives much more praise than I feel he deserves, Heath was the better Joker though.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Jack's Joker made me laugh a bit and he would do things for the sake of art in a creepy sorta way.

Ledger's Joker scared the crap out of me and and would be the one you REALLY want to keep an eye on.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish Heath Ledger was alive right now and they make a Killing Joke movie :( He was perfect and improvissed so much.. And the saddest part is i grow up watching him

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say Ledger's Joker is better, but I think it has more to do with his role in the film and Nolan's direction than Heath himself.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By modernww2fare
    Loading Video...

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ledger easily.

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hoplite91

It's a non-issue. Jack was perfect for his universe, Heath was perfect for his universe. Neither one of them should have to be compared to anybody.

Also, just to be controversial: Troy Baker has the potential to stand with the holy trinity of Nicolson/Hamill/Ledger.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best Joker: Heath Ledger R.I.P.

Avatar image for ramiaquizzlinger
    RamiaQuizzlinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jymevans said:

IMHO .. Jack,

Because: I didn't really feel that Heath was the Joker from the Comic.

Thank you! I think Heath did a great job, the writing for the movie just didn't match Joker.
    So... Jack.
    Now, best Joker ever? Mark Hamill. Not only did he send shivers down my spine every time he laughed, he just epitomizes the character IMHO.

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By I3IO_HAZARD

Anybody who says nicholson did much better is probably a hipster or something

Ledgers performance was legendary...LEGENDARY

burgerkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Both were awesome but I would have to go for Mr. Ledger.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#89  Edited By JakeN7

Nicholson was more faithful to the character.

Ledger had a far better performance.

Mortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heath ledger, no contest.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Black_Arrow

@frozen said:

The second one is a little more debatable but in DKR Peter Weller was absolutely perfect. I always imagine Conroy voice as mainstream Batman. In alternate universes I usually imagine other voice casts.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ledger.

Sometimes I think that Nicholson just acts like that in real life.

Also, just to be controversial: Troy Baker has the potential to stand with the holy trinity of Nicolson/Hamill/Ledger.

I could definitely see Baker becoming the next Joker voice actor for the next few years... or decades.

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both did great but Ledger is what made The Joker legendary for non comic readers.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ledger's Joker is the Tupac of CBM's, you can't go against him.

HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heath Ledger by far. Never really understood the appeal of Nicholson's joker. There was nothing that unique about it. The only cool thing about his joker was just the fact that he was the first live action joker.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

For me Ledger was better. Nothing against Jack, his Joker was awesome. I just wasn't interested in having a Joker who was funny as well as a bit dangerous again. Ledgers Joker was exactly what I wanted, sadistic and dark.

Jay_Russ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jay_Russ

Heath Ledger, no debating it. Everything that Joker is, Heath captured it perfectly. He gave arguably the greatest villain performance ever in a movie.

prisoner19997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it really depends on what you are looking for.

The Nicholson joker was perfect for that movie and he was supposed to be that cheesy cartoon character, whether you enjoy it that way or not and Jack Nicholson did a ripper job of that, like he nailed it. Whereas the Ledger joker was intended for a dark, sinister movie so he was required to play a dark, sinister character and so Heath absolutely filled the brief for his particular film.

Remember It's not about which type of joker you prefer, it's about who could play him better. So the lot of you can stop crapping on about "jack nicholson was too camp" and "heath ledger only gets creds out of sympathy" because for the time and type of their individual movies, each was perfect for their own.

However, I did vote for Jack Nicholson EVEN THOUGH I liked the Dark Knight movie better, because I think that when you really get down to it, as flawless as Heath's joker was, Jack Nicholson would have been very, very well suited to Nolan's dark sinister joker AND he was able to pull off the 89' version better than anyone else could've. Whereas Heath Ledger, while owning Nolan's joker, could never pull off Burton's and make it as successful as Jack did and thats what I think distinguishes the two

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both. But I'm going to back whoever gets the least approval, so Jack all the way.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.