Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4241 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Super Sanity?

Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What the heck is Super Sanity? And why is it worst than being insane?

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By G'bandit

Do I have to give this explication again..

Super sanity is worse than been insane because you can do anything you want and you wouldn't feel guilt.. Normally crazy people do things and then they are regretting it all their lives even if they did it willingly. If you are super saner you wont feel guilt and will laugh at death..

I explain it in a thread more detailed once and it nearly gave me a headache and I almost became psychotic trying to justify the death of others by the joker XD

But that's super sanity, kill with no remorse even if is a young boy on a bird costume

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By likalaruku

Super sanity is probably Grant Morrison's way of saying that while the Joker is a certified sociopath, he's still sane & has a really high IQ, or that he's like one of those stoned hippies who think they're more in-tune with the world when they're high. lol.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

Super-sanity is DC way of saying " The Joker knows he's in a comic book".

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @G'bandit said:
    "Do I have to give this explication again..

Super sanity is worse than been insane because you can do anything you want and you wouldn't feel guilt.. Normally crazy people do things and then they are regretting it all their lives even if they did it willingly. If you are super saner you wont feel guilt and will laugh at death..

I explain it in a thread more detailed once and it nearly gave me a headache and I almost became psychotic trying to justify the death of others by the joker XD

But that's super sanity, kill with no remorse even if is a young boy on a bird costume

"
    Well said
    tyciol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By tyciol

I think it depends a lot on how sanity and insanity are defined. If we define sanity as normalcy then Joker's obviously insane, he's not your normal human being. If we however define it as correctly interpreting reality: Joker doesn't actually seem to be out of touch with reality. There are many villains out of touch with it and who commit heinous acts with a viewpoint that conflicts with reality that they think justifies it.  Maybe I missed it, but Joker just seems to have a very different set of right/wrong, justification, morality and purpose in his life.

Deadman Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deadman Wade

Well, the Joker does what he does to make things more interesting. He doesn't like the life style of the cows that live average lives and do common average things. He wants to spice life up so to speak, and he knows he can get away with it the way he always does. To do things unthinkable, unpredictable, and controversial against an opponent who would risk his life to keep him alive just to temporarily put him away in a mad house makes him enjoy his misery of his failings of a normal life (death of his wife and disfigurement). Just my perspective.

joshua50187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshua50187

super sanity is not a sociopathic tendency to not feel remorse. super sanity is "seeing reality", when we "normal" people see something; anything, we rationalize and alter our beliefs based upon our own perception of reality, such as our view of justice.. good guys believe they are doing good and bad guys believe they are doing good also, the bad guys know that it is wrong in society, but they each do it for something they believe is good like money or fame or anything (justice like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we claim justice when we won WW2 but if hitler had won he would have also called it justice), where as super sanity sees them both for what they really are without any personal views or opinions getting in the way. its hard to fathom or even to give a proper example of this but i'll try.. ex: a man holds a gun to someones head and pulls the trigger and they die, we "normal" people would see two things a murderer and a victim. whereas super sanity sees only a man pulling a trigger and a bullet passing through another mans head and that man dying.. you would say same thing right, not really there is not a distinction between culprit and victim.. think of it this way while every one else sees a murder happening super sanity sees a man getting in the way of the bullet even if they understand that the shot was meant to hit that person in the head.. i know that this doesnt explain it correctly or even effectively but when i visualize this type of scenario i laugh about it too so really i can see where the joker gets his sense of humor.. also the reason it is worse then insanity is because when people are insane their delusions are able to be corrupted like how batman defeats the ventriloquist by pitting his dual personality towards each other... try to visualize all of this while thinking of this quote "Genius doesn't determine what you do, but how effectively you do it" that the best way i can explain it hope it helps

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@joshua50187 said:

super sanity is not a sociopathic tendency to not feel remorse. super sanity is "seeing reality", when we "normal" people see something; anything, we rationalize and alter our beliefs based upon our own perception of reality, such as our view of justice.. good guys believe they are doing good and bad guys believe they are doing good also, the bad guys know that it is wrong in society, but they each do it for something they believe is good like money or fame or anything (justice like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we claim justice when we won WW2 but if Hitler had won he would have also called it justice), where as super sanity sees them both for what they really are without any personal views or opinions getting in the way. its hard to fathom or even to give a proper example of this but I'll try.. ex: a man holds a gun to someones head and pulls the trigger and they die, we "normal" people would see two things a murderer and a victim. whereas super sanity sees only a man pulling a trigger and a bullet passing through another mans head and that man dying.. you would say same thing right, not really there is not a distinction between culprit and victim.. think of it this way while every one else sees a murder happening super sanity sees a man getting in the way of the bullet even if they understand that the shot was meant to hit that person in the head.. i know that this doesn't explain it correctly or even effectively but when i visualize this type of scenario i laugh about it too so really i can see where the joker gets his sense of humor..

This is one of the best explanations I've seen. The concept of "super sanity" is hard to define, but it all comes down to perception. Whereas normal people perceive some kind of boundary between the concepts of "right" and "wrong," someone looking through the lens of super sanity sees no such boundary, and in fact disregards "right" and "wrong" altogether. To the super-insane, there are no evil things or good things; there are only things.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Rumble Man

@War Killer said:

Actually

Immoral = knows its wrong, does not care (light and dark, I chose dark)

Amoral = does not know what is right or wrong (the hell is light and dark? I only see orange and pink)

@joshua50187:

So open minded neutralness based on affirmed facts and logic?

---

Its just random psycho-babble to justify joker's mindset which is random

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twentyfive

Super sanity is just another one of those dumb things or terms that can be attributed as Grant Morrison's. Right up there, but not quite on par with the stupidity that is Damian Wayne.

m_plutar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_bandit said:

Do I have to give this explication again..

no, thats not super sanity...... thats sounds more like antisocial personality disorder, a mental illness upon which the individual has no regard for right or wrong. It is very common for a person with this particular illness to often become engaged in illegal behavior that eventually leads them behind bars. In addition, a person who has this disorder can be violent, liars, cheaters and are generally not able to behave or function in a work or educational environment. Depending on the severity, this type of behavior can "sometimes" be known as Sociopathic Personality Disorder.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

It means that no rules apply to you.

Rules apply to Joker he just does not listen.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@pyrogram said:

@theacidskull said:

It means that no rules apply to you.

Rules apply to Joker he just does not listen.

If he doesn't listen i means it doesn't apply to him :P, he is incapable of understanding of why killing someone is bad.

The joker is more than aware that is what super sanity means, and it does apply to him. He will go jail if he is caught.

ikildu1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ikildu1st

Hello! im a fan of the joker and googled looking for the authors interpretation of what he meant at the time and decided to create an an account and chime in instead. I am oficially insane since the age of 13 according to the state of pennsylvania you know the state where american draculya lives lol and then changed states to texas where im technically by law sane for now. to avoid imprisonment i must be "sane" because as the doctor said people like me dont get out but because of my age i did and voila technically functional member of society full time employed paying taxes and never letting anyone into my home because its nintendo gothic horror fueled masturbation .... technically.

in learning to be "normal" i learned things like be stupid dont let them know your plan not just just cuz they will be scared of the result even if the result is by my definition good for them but because they wont understand until possibly years later and may stop you or hault their progress youve planned out for them just out of spite once they understand it even if all the necessary actions have already been taken. also people like a show make em feel good about themselves make em laugh even and especially at their own truths i choose to let this evolve natural but the joker believes in a more directness you really gotta sell them on the transition from where or who they are make it feel like they were always to become like harley quinn

remember there are only three questions in life 1 where did i come from 2 who am i 3 where am i going.

combine that with good and evil or "sanity" is a matter of majority rather than reason or deduction and ip so facto the jokers wish to evolve batman a person who acts with disregard but still with reason than say harley quinn who he appreciates but who follows out emotion and heart (totally my dream girl) but the jokers personal batman obsession to desire for an intellectual mate for life will always overpower even if its not reciprocated even if it means death upon recievership

super sanity its apparently up there with terms like psycho and sociopath BS buzzwords that sound good but have no actual connotation like antisocial personality disorder 3 and 4 : D still makes me wonder why meds dont work on me and the jokers seemingly prescribed none at all

Zusty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshua50187: That's just claiming that morality is subjective and relative, which I and most people don't agree with. What Hitler did was morally wrong whether or not he understood that.

I think, from Morrison's view, it's sort of saying that the Joker perceives such a different reality that it's hard to call him insane by our standards of reality.

It's really just silly pseudopsychological sophistry. Your view of it is just wrong, though, because moral anti-realism is dumb and incorrect.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.