Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4233 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Strange they've never found out his real identity

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Croaker

I mean, in Legends of the Dark Knight #50 Batman finds out who his cousin is. Tracing him there shouldn't be too hard.

bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By bioghost

then joker would have to kill his entire family just so to prove that he doesn't exist.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Resonate

Dunno, but it would defeat the character you know? Hes the only character in comics that really is a true mystery

bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bioghost

true and we like to stay that way.
    the only person that batman has no idea what he is

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3

Whit Joker his a cousin, I Thought his family was dead.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Croaker

I agree that exposing his real identity would seriously hurt the character, but my point is that the whole cousin thing seems like a plot hole.

Yes, his family may be dead, but records of their existence remain. All Batman (or the cops) really need to do is find out the name of Melvin's mother's sister or brother and his/her son's name and voilá. they'd know who the Joker is/was.

Punchinello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Punchinello

They wouldn't need to have a surviving relative to find out whom he used to be; what about DNA testing?

I hope DC keeps him 'unknown', or there goes another fantastic character. I don't know what to worry about anymore, however, because of what's going on in RIP.

organiczulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By organiczulu
    Croaker said:
    "I agree that exposing his real identity would seriously hurt the character..."

I disagree. I think exposing the character even a little would make him more relateable. In the sense that everyone does has past, including the joker. Making him some what more human/realistic, creating an in depth persona, and possibly expanding the plot. It would also make him that more interesting.
    I find it odd that the DC universe keeps wanting to play it that the joker has no real possible identity. 

Im not saying give us the whole life story on him but it would be nice to know where the f*cker came from. No character in gotham figure it out? c'mon now.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Korg
    organiczulu said:
    "I disagree. I think exposing the character even a little would make him more relateable. In the sense that everyone does has past, including the joker. Making him some what more human/realistic"
    You aren't really supposed to relate with him. He's a sociopath. I think giving him a name/civilian identity at this point would be superfluous, and detract from the character as a whole.
    shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Honestly I can't imagine a scenario in which it would be of any interest to reveal who he is. They could retcon something awful like he's Bruce Wayne's bastard son from the future or evil twin brother or something but it'd just turn people off in droves. Its like Wolverine is really James Howlett? Woopdidamndoo that was worth 30 years of waiting. What a let down.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Resonate
    Shatterstar said:
    "Honestly I can't imagine a scenario in which it would be of any interest to reveal who he is. They could retcon something awful like he's Bruce Wayne's bastard son from the future or evil twin brother or something but it'd just turn people off in droves. Its like Wolverine is really James Howlett? Woopdidamndoo that was worth 30 years of waiting. What a let down."
    there is truth in this statement
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Killing Joke is the only time I care to ever see Joker as a real person, even if the story possibly isn't true. Joker is the Joker I could care less about his past, and this is the only time I'll say that about a character I love.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Meteorite

Heaps of characters identities have never been revealed, Mandarin and Mad Thinker just to name 2.

organiczulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By organiczulu
    "Shatterstar said:
    "Honestly I can't imagine a scenario in which it would be of any interest to reveal who he is..."
    Very true. I can't imagine a scenario either.
    Its just the joker isn't a super being, with super hero/godly powers and he isn't immortal. He was written as a human.  So where's a glint of his human past?
    Maybe im just too girly and watch too many soap operas? But it feels like a flaw in the character.
    Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Croaker
    inferiorego said:
    "Killing Joke is the only time I care to ever see Joker as a real person, even if the story possibly isn't true."
    You and I and so many agree with this. So if they were to ever expand upon his days as a normal man, Killing Joke's orgin should be the foundation, IMO. "Hush Returns" didn't work, though. I think the reason was that The Joker was far too sane; he remembered his wife completely and had even a photo of her (if the whole house blew up, how did he get it?). He acted like a normal husband hellbent on avenging his wife; they just completely cast Joker's current persona aside in favor of exploring his past.

I personally like The Killing Joke origin because of the "normal man goes insane" -scenario. Having him be a career criminal before falling into the chemical vat only emphasizes he did crime for work. Meaning he didn't probably choose it as his tool of causing chaos because of acting according to the hopeless outlook on life he displays so clearly in Killing Joke (and Emperor Joker, for example). It is more loyal to his character to choose crime to cause chaos, not to actually make him able to support himself or benefit from it personally. This would thrust him in to the category of common criminals (even Batman doesn't actually believe The Joker is a common criminal. Whenver he says so, he's just trying to antagonize the Joker). The Joker is a distrupter of order; he could take over the whole of Gotham's criminal enterprise if the actually wanted to, but chooses not to. Killing Batman would help him complete his criminal career if he wanted to reach the top, yet he never actually does it.

They could start with baby steps: just tell the man's real first name, for godssakes. Or just verify it's either Jack, Jasper or whatever. They don't have to blow their load with one story. DC could just make a revelation, see how the majority of readers and critics respond and move on to reveal one of the origins is the real one and so on.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By NightFang3
    Croaker said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "Killing Joke is the only time I care to ever see Joker as a real person, even if the story possibly isn't true."
    You and I and so many agree with this. So if they were to ever expand upon his days as a normal man, Killing Joke's orgin should be the foundation, IMO. "Hush Returns" didn't work, though. I think the reason was that The Joker was far too sane; he remembered his wife completely and had even a photo of her (if the whole house blew up, how did he get it?). He acted like a normal husband hellbent on avenging his wife; they just completely cast Joker's current persona aside in favor of exploring his past.

I personally like The Killing Joke origin because of the "normal man goes insane" -scenario. Having him be a career criminal before falling into the chemical vat only emphasizes he did crime for work. Meaning he didn't probably choose it as his tool of causing chaos because of acting according to the hopeless outlook on life he displays so clearly in Killing Joke (and Emperor Joker, for example). It is more loyal to his character to choose crime to cause chaos, not to actually make him able to support himself or benefit from it personally. This would thrust him in to the category of common criminals (even Batman doesn't actually believe The Joker is a common criminal. Whenver he says so, he's just trying to antagonize the Joker). The Joker is a distrupter of order; he could take over the whole of Gotham's criminal enterprise if the actually wanted to, but chooses not to. Killing Batman would help him complete his criminal career if he wanted to reach the top, yet he never actually does it.

They could start with baby steps: just tell the man's real first name, for godssakes. Or just verify it's either Jack, Jasper or whatever. They don't have to blow their load with one story. DC could just make a revelation, see how the majority of readers and critics respond and move on to reveal one of the origins is the real one and so on."
                  I think something like that could work but what about his son Anarky?
    Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Croaker

Isn't that scenario wiped out from the continuation?

I mean, after Anarky was cancelled the possibility has never been addressed in other magazines. Slapping it to another universe would also go hand in hand with the origin and existence of Duela Dent (assuming Joker of that universe really was her biological father).

But eh..I don't know. I'm not totally against Joker having a child. He did display a humane need to pass on his genes by trying to knock Harley up during Last Laugh. He is one diverse psycho: on the other hand he is willing to let Superman kill him for nothing just to make him suffer emotionally Then again, he often shows a keen sense of self-preservation which is uncommon for the truly insane. Which I why I don't get people who are fanatically against the "super-sanity" explonation.

And Anarky, too, was/is an uncommon anarchist. So in that sense, it was good foreshadowing. I think the most common argument against it (and a valid one it is) is that the Joker is far too frigid and asexual to be a daddy. And rape just ain't his style.

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18  Edited By likalaruku

He burned off his own fingerprints with acid. What fun!

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By likalaruku
    Croaker said:
    "I agree that exposing his real identity would seriously hurt the character, but my point is that the whole cousin thing seems like a plot hole.

Yes, his family may be dead, but records of their existence remain. All Batman (or the cops) really need to do is find out the name of Melvin's mother's sister or brother and his/her son's name and voilá. they'd know who the Joker is/was."
    I think having a solid past could potentially restrict things from happening in the future. As long as he hides his identity & ignores his past, like Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter, it's anything-goes & there will be less plotholes (provided that things like family or potential identity keep their heads in the sand).

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Croaker
    likalaruku said:
    "He burned off his own fingerprints with acid. What fun!"
    You mean Anarky?
    likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By likalaruku
    Croaker said:
    "likalaruku said:
    "He burned off his own fingerprints with acid. What fun!"
    You mean Anarky?"

No, the Joker. In Batman confidential 22, the Joker was getting his fingerprints taken at the police station, but all he left were patternless markings. He tells the baffled cop looking at them that it took lots of acid. He's a masochist on the side, so it's not suprising.
    Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Croaker

Wow. I always had the idea the chemicals messed up his prints just like they turned his hair and nails green.

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By likalaruku
    Croaker said:
    "Wow. I always had the idea the chemicals messed up his prints just like they turned his hair and nails green."
    I used to believe that he had his fingerprints hot-ironed off, which sounds painful, but acid is over-the-top!
    NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By NiteFly
    Shatterstar said:
    "Its like Wolverine is really James Howlett? Woopdidamndoo that was worth 30 years of waiting. What a let down."
    I thought origin was an awesome story line.
    likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By likalaruku

Woot. Today I got Batman Confidential 24. It sure didn't take the Joker very long to identify Batman in disguise, did it?

capsvibranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By capsvibranium

to me, it seems like some of you might be missing the point of the joker.  he doesn't have a background because of what he represents:  chaos.  if you give him a name, a family, an identity, then you attach some sort of logical order to his life, and this would be completely paradoxical to the character himself.   even though we'd have our fun sifting through the comics, looking for hints, and following the storyline if they gave the joker a past, remember that the idea is always bigger than plot.  we're not meant to relate because we live inside the safe and structured world of our minds, where things make sense and we go about our existence with a sense of the rules.    the joker is not this, never will be this, and never should be this.  he is a human without a past, an isolated incident, just as all anarchy is. 

chex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chex

I like his having multiple fake past back stories.  It's just enough to satisfy, but doesn't ruin the his mysteriousness.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Batmanx2005

@chex: I always assume his real name Jack Napier. I agreed that he is the villians with the mysterious past. In Arkham city in one of his interview tapes he finally unitentionally remember his past only thing he never mentions his real name only his deceased wife and how it all goes to become what he is now. He is a very interesting character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.