Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4212 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Should his face be re-attatched after Death of the Family?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SupBatz

Joker is one of the most iconic comic book characters in existence. And ripping off his face was a big change on the part of DC.

And while his face being re-attatched in a horror movie-like fashion suits Snyder's current direction with the character, I pose a few questions for what the future of the character holds:

First off, should this become Joker's new, permanent look? Or should they find some way to re-attatch his face?

Second, if they did reattatch his face, how would it be done? Obviously there are unlimited opportunities for it to happen in a comic book universe but how would you have it happen? Would he go to some magical entity and demand it? Would this entity perhaps reattatch it without his consent?

And lastly, will it matter - can Joker survive Death of the Family? The writers seem to be making a huge deal about "Nobody is off limits" with regard to death. Is it possible that they'd actually kill the Joker...?

TheJokerha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheJokerha

YES! Yes it should be reattached, grown back, healed, what ever.

I know its produced some creepy art but it is seriously taking away from my enjoyment of this story line. It doesn't feel like Joker. Which is strange because he is more "Joker" than ever when it comes to story.

From what I've seen, the face seems to be rotting. So reattaching it would require a lot more than regular medical science could provide. But it would be a piece of cake for a lot of DC characters to do.

Story wise, it would be an ironic and dramatic twist for Joker to be the one who dies. Maybe that even being part of his plan all along. But he is too great a character, has too many fans ( like me ) and they make waaay to much money off of him for him to stay dead Even if he does buy it temporarily.

And that's also a good reason to believe he will get his normal face back. Marketing. Can you imagine his current incantation on a child's sleeping bag or pajamas fighting Batman? Even if the kid was cool with it many parents would be freaked out and not hand over the money. And DC make more money off of movies, tv, and merchandise than the comics.

Got to admit it, though. This artist makes it look seriously bad ass.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/2757698-tt_15_08_600_1__super.jpeg

fran24ksawtgpb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fran24ksawtgpb

It has to get reattached, because as it was said before, it just doesn't feel right to have him walking around without it, he's too much of a "diva" and his vanity wouldn't really allow it, so Snyder's gonna have to tell something really interesting and intriguing for me to believe it ... since Tony Daniel didn't really explain, or if he did, I haven't seen it yet ...

I'd be greatly disappointed if they killed The Joker, because that's just way too expected, what would be the thing that would completely destroy the Bat-Family and Bruce's morality and all that stuff ? if they killed. and which better character to start it with than The Joker, but it's just too expected, as I said, I hope Snyder is a bit more creative with that, what he's done in Batman has been tremendously great, so it'd be, for me at least, a huge disappointment if it happened.

And, of course, there's also the fact of how incredibly popular he is and all that, so I find it really hard DC would kill their most notorious and admired villain.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By EdBlank

At this point it would be like attaching a leather coat to a living cow. After a year that face is dead. It should probably be shriveled and hardened by now, too. So yeah: magic, time travel, super science to cover his face with stem cells whoch would grow into a face - somethign besides normal surgical techniques would be in order.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Joker will, at some point, have a more traditional face. Frankly, he should be dying as it is running around with that much exposed raw skin.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By serpent222

First off, I'll go ahead and vote for keeping him that way for now. Yeah, it doesn't feel like it is the Joker, but I like that. I don't pick up the new 52 to see the same characters replayed, I want changes, and this is one in a dark direction that kind of follows suit with Scarecrow building for a very dark world for Batman. I can see where it would hurt marketing, but seriously look around at what sells. Among kids, Joker will be best known from whatever cartoon is running. His likeness is still cartoonish and all over toys and such. There is enough in the different continuities to stick to other looks for Joker.

Second, IF they fix his face, I think it will come in the form of the new 52's introduction to Thomas Elliot. Perhaps he never became Hush. Maybe he did and turned over a new leaf (on that note, I know when Batman was thought to be dead, Elliot stood in for Bruce Wayne. I never got why. Was there a reason he helped the Bat-family, or was it for his own gains and they just exploited it?). Whatever the case, I figure that Joker is beaten so severely that he spends a while in emergency surgery. During that time, Elliot repairs his face, against his wishes, as a favor to Bruce Wayne (if they are buddies) or Batman (if he was Hush and has turned sides).

Finally, yes, I expect Joker to die. I agree that it would be a bit predictable, but I think it can be handled incredibly well. Outside of Joker, I can't see anyone else dying save Commissioner Gordon or Alfred, and neither seem like good candidates.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

The very idea of Joker running around with his face shoddily attached to his head is idiotic to me. So yes, his face should be reattached. Use comic book logic or science and have Hush put it back on him, then forget that it ever happened.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Stormbox

@The_Tree said:

The very idea of Joker running around with his face shoddily attached to his head is idiotic to me. So yes, his face should be reattached. Use comic book logic or science and have Hush put it back on him, then forget that it ever happened.

Agreed

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By SupBatz

@serpent222 said:

Second, IF they fix his face, I think it will come in the form of the new 52's introduction to Thomas Elliot. Perhaps he never became Hush. Maybe he did and turned over a new leaf (on that note, I know when Batman was thought to be dead, Elliot stood in for Bruce Wayne. I never got why. Was there a reason he helped the Bat-family, or was it for his own gains and they just exploited it?). Whatever the case, I figure that Joker is beaten so severely that he spends a while in emergency surgery. During that time, Elliot repairs his face, against his wishes, as a favor to Bruce Wayne (if they are buddies) or Batman (if he was Hush and has turned sides).

That's a pretty great idea. It'd be the perfect way to re-introduce the character.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By Dracade102

@EdBlank said:

At this point it would be like attaching a leather coat to a living cow. After a year that face is dead. It should probably be shriveled and hardened by now, too. So yeah: magic, time travel, super science to cover his face with stem cells whoch would grow into a face - somethign besides normal surgical techniques would be in order.

Realistically, this is what should have happened. It's just a lump of dead skin now, it's not like reattaching it after an entire year is going to make it any less dead.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they give Joker a face-stealing gimmick after this, despite the absurdity of that idea.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss

Oh, it will be. It has to be, if for no other reason than at some point that meat will begin to rot away. That and Joker is far too iconic to undergo such a dramatic change permanently.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TDK_1997

Yes,it should.It would be strange for him to walk until the end of his life with straps around his face.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Would a dip in a Lazarus Pit fix his face?

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By clemj

after this, him staying like this would have no purpose, we won't be shocked again

they should change this, into something even more scary!!

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I saw Snyder said in the Vine interview that it'd be

close to completely rotted off by the end of #17, and that it had already started to rot in the #16 eps

Be interesting to see how they go about portraying joker in future eps!

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wouldn't his face grow/heal back with a normal complexion? (Not white anymore since it'd be new skin) or would it just part of his physiology by now

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have thought he would make an appearance in Forever Evil with that exchange between Penguin and Bane.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.