Off YOUR Mind: Would Joker be a Good Villain in the Marvel Universe?

#201 Posted by Botiste (50 posts) - - Show Bio

The the Joker's profile fits a little like the Marvel villain Arcade. His rogue gallery would include the Marvel Knights, Daredevil, Punisher, Spiderman, Luke Cage, and Iron fist. The Joker is a cerebral villain so he would have to combat deep thinking heroes with a supporting characters. Truthfully speaking, I don't think Joker handle much anyone outside of Batman by himself in his own universe other wise we'd see more of that. The Joker is Gotham's vllian, not much of a world wide threat.

#202 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so , but he must target one guy only... I'm thinking about daredevil... 
but in that case, he'd get exposed to the punisher, and I don't know if he can live very long there

#203 Posted by Sifighter (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't marvel make a joker and call him zodiac,

#204 Posted by Sifighter (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't marvel make one and called him zodiac

#205 Posted by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't he duble crossed by Carnage at one point

#206 Posted by ComicFan258369 (1 posts) - - Show Bio
#207 Posted by kilon (122 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the joker could be a good villain in the mu. i could see him fight daredevil or spider-man. daredevil is the most likely candidate to fight the joker cause he dealt with psychopaths alot. i can't see joker against the punisher and wolverine cause if it's happens both would kill him instantly without any thought or remorse and their goes the clown prince of crime.

#208 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio

As I know the Marvel universe, he'd burn the entire place to the ground and the civilians would cheer him on

#209 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher villain.

#210 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravisher said:

joker would be dead

hes lucky batman keeps him alive

Agreed. IMO DC heroes try harder 'not to kill' whereas Marvel heroes are more likely to cross that line when necessary. Wolverine would slice and dice him, THE END. It'd be like, remember when Wolverine fought the Joker in Issue 216? WHO? Exactly!

#211 Posted by Twoface777 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I think maybe a villain like Clayface or maybe MisterFreeze would make a great villain in Marvel.

#212 Posted by BumpyBoo (9402 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of whether or not he would be killed, or whether or not he would fit: the Joker would make a good villain WHEREVER he went. His awesomeness is transcendent.

Moderator Online
#213 Posted by spidershamrock (1183 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker would not work within Marvel purely because they would put him in some ridiculous crossover and he would end up as the head of SHIELD or something stupid... oh wait they already did that

#214 Posted by Caedus_bane (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only heroes in Marvel that would have any time for the Joker would be the street level heroes. DD, Cage(or at least older Cage), and maybe even Spider-man. Where 616 is at now, I doubt he would work very well.

#215 Posted by MurieC16 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, after all of the chaos and mayhem he has put the DC Universe through......I can't even picture him in the marvel universe...

#216 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidershamrock said:

Joker would not work within Marvel purely because they would put him in some ridiculous crossover and he would end up as the head of SHIELD or something stupid... oh wait they already did that

Thsts because Marvel/DC suck at making crossovers with one another...

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#217 Posted by chrisp0394 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowk357: The joker only creates so much chaosin the DC universe because it is just a constant battle to try and get batman to kill him. He would not be able to create a conflict with someone like wolverine or the punisher, because they wouldn't waste time on his elaborate schemes, they would just kill him. See, you need to actually care about other people in order for the Joker to inflict emotional pain on someone.

#218 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6917 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher kills him the first day in town

#219 Posted by batfan1939 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtisticNeedham: That IS his motivation -- utter chaos and evil; doing wrong for the sake of doing it!

#220 Posted by batfan1939 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker is too... loose for the MU.That said, I could see him as a behind-the-scenes supervillain, with grandiose traps and such (someone mentioned Arcade), but really I think he'd end up dead the minute he hires a mutant as a henchman. You know what he's like with his henchmen. He'd have to be the Joker more like Hamill, that always had another trick or trap. Think Arkham City or Killing Joke.The minute he went street-level, he'd be dead.

"In other news, a self-proclaimed supervillain -- disfigured to look like a clown -- was killed during an attempted bank robbery by a 15-year-old mutant he attempted to take hostage..."

The whole idea behind mutants is that they're everywhere, and they're otherwise normal people... until they're not.

#221 Posted by TheRealTomato (1 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part the Marvel Universe has too many powerhouse heroes localized in one area (NYC). It would be too difficult for the Joker to pull off a crazy scheme without being quickly apprehended. I suppose thats why Marvel has it own Joker-esque character in Loki. The difference is Loki is mad powerful and could hold off several heroes at once. However I do think the Joker would fit well in a Wolverine one-shot. I could just see the Joker getting a kick out of driving Wolverine into berserker rages.

#222 Posted by SoopDawg (10 posts) - - Show Bio
@5ive
Who are all of thses villians that Marvel heroes are killing? Can someone answer me this?
#223 Posted by RonaldReznick (3 posts) - - Show Bio

A good writer could make anyone seem to be a plausible threat. Joker may have to change or evolve a little, but I think he could match wits with some of Marvel's best supervillains. Joker is a good anarchistic planner. He could use that to his strengths, rather than rely on physicality. A more cerebral Joker can be far more terrifying than one that plays it fast and loose. Look at Arkham City for an example of that kind of Joker...he planned. He antagonized, but he always kept Batman a good distance from himself, because of his physical limitations.

Adapting to Marvel would take a little getting used to, sure, but the evolution of the Joker and seeing him adapt to the Marvel U would be awesome.

#224 Posted by SamCopsey (5 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is everyone's just saying the joker would just get killed but The joker's not going to get in a one on one fight with anyone who would kill him, in actual fact the joker works so much better when you dont even know hes done something until it's to late. I'd love to see him just piss of the hulk and then somehow escape to watch the chaos from a safe distance or pay some mutants to carry out some schemes for him. That's so much more his style i think. Also because batman is never going to kill the joker I normally feel joker is going easy on him. Joker either wants to kill batman in the perfect way or do something soo bad that batman has no other choice than to kill him. He wouldnt play nearly as nice in a marvel universe i think. (well maybe he would with spiderman or something)

As far as The Punisher is concerned if he meets the Joker he'll probably get gassed on smilex and die. Joker's not the kind of guy to just get shot.

#225 Posted by TheGodofThunder (598 posts) - - Show Bio

all the people who say that marvel can't handle the joker need to get off the fanboy wagon.

#226 Posted by 5ive (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoopDawg: Sabretooth just recently came back from the dead, and Fantomex shot a reborn Apocalyspe in the head not too long ago. My point is marvel is a lot more violent and a villain with not a single power probably couldnt get away half of what the joker does

#227 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zeeguy91 said:

@sethysquare said:

One problem with Marvel is that they dont know how to write good villains.

I mean look at every single DC character. They have their arch nemesis and many of the popular heroes got their own rogue gallery.

Which villain does Iron Man have? Captain America? Other than Loki, what does Thor have?

Spiderman is probably the only hero in marvel that successful manage to gather a rogue gallery.

Iron Man has Mandarin...but not much else.

Captain America, though, has Red Skull (although he's dead now) and Baron Zemo, who are two great villains.

And besides Loki, Thor has the Enchantress, Surtur (although he died), Ymir, and Executioner.

Although, I do agree. DC does have a larger roster of great villains. Don't get me wrong, because Marvel does have fantastic villains. I mean, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Galactus, Annihulus, Red Skull, the Masters of Evil, Mephisto, Kang, Ultron, Mr. Sinister, Loki, Kingpin, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, etc. are all phenomenal villains. And I honestly think that the Avengers are stronger villain-wise than say the Justice League. However, I just think DC in general has a more expansive list of worthwhile villains.

Luthor, Joker, Brainiac, Black Adam, Sinestro, Gorilla Grodd, General Zod, Ra's al Ghul, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Darkseid, Deathstroke, Blackfire, Trigon, Prof. Zoom, Krona, Atrocitus, Doomsday, Bane, pretty much the entirety of Batman's rogues gallery really. Not to mention the countless more minor villains that have pulled some real nasty stuff in their careers (Dr. Light, Manchester Black, Anton Arcane, Parasite, Black Manta, Nekron, Black Hand, etc). Plus, with the New 52, DC has enacted a mandate to expand its list of villains and has added several that will probably go down as classic DC villains. For example, the Court of Owls, Mob Rule, The Inquisitor, Terminus, etc. So, yeah. In the category of villains, at least, DC has Marvel beat.

Agreed. On top of that even say Captain Atom has a arch nemesis Major Force. Captain Marvel has Black Adam. Green Arrow has Merlyn. Hawkman has Gentlemen Ghost and Hath-Set. I feel like many of the minor heroes also have a great rogue gallery of their own.

#228 Posted by Jackass_Cowboy (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. I feel Joker's potential in Batman is pretty...weak. Joker could do a lpt better outside DC and expose himself to a more different enviroment with heroes such as Iron man, Spiderman and numerous other eligible superheroes. And as we all know Marvel requreis more colorful supervillians than Mr.Hyde, Shark man and Arcade. I mean think about it, Arcade! A mindless lunatic that stays on an abandoned theme park. In conclusion, Joker would be a LOT better in Marvel than in DC. Besides, if Joker decides to switch sides, Deadpool will have a playmate!

#229 Posted by 00 Raiser (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Joker would have killed most of the Marvel Universe.

#230 Posted by SoopDawg (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@5ive: No Marvel hero is killing villians like people in this thread are trying to make it out to be. People are saying that the Punisher would have killed the Joker already. I think it would be the other way around. The Punisher is nowhere near the detective that Batman is and he has nowhere near the resources that Bats have. The Punisher would be dead with a quickness, all he has is the nerve to kill and the Joker has been dealing with criminals that are killers for quite awhile. That's my point.

#231 Posted by jm122313 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

No way the Joker would be a good villain in Marvel comics

#232 Posted by Hadez (164 posts) - - Show Bio

he'd die really quick in Marvel U

#233 Posted by Mikey Venture (69 posts) - - Show Bio

@hypCOMICAL:@hypCOMICAL said:

"Norman Osborn is pretty much the Joker of the marvel universe"

Not to sound like a turd, but what makes you think that ?

#234 Posted by ALFMutant (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker without Batman = The X-Men without Magneto or Green Lantern without Sinestro, we can't think about it.

#235 Posted by 5ive (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoopDawg: I get what your saying but part of the reason why Joker is still alive is because of Batman. He wont kill him nor has he allowed others to kill him (ex: Gordon or Jason Todd). No one in the Marvel universe is bent on upholding the no kill rule.

#236 Posted by SoopDawg (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@5ive:

Like who? Punisher? Wolverine? Who else? Superman has killed before but major villians are still alive. The Joker is no pushover and I think the Punisher can't handle him. With Wolvervine....all I have to say is that Magneto is still alive.

#237 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6361 posts) - - Show Bio

With prep, and thereby getting the drop on him, Joker has a hard enough time trying to kill Batman.

As others have already pointed out, he only remains alive because Batman won't take a life.

Though he should make exceptions ... how many innocents does the Joker have to kill before Bruce gets his head out of his arse and puts the Joker out of everyone's misery ... including his own. As far as I'm concerned, after the umpteenth time the Joker gets away to wreak havoc, the blood he perpetually spills starts to be on Bruce's hands as well.

Wolverine, without doubt, and with but a splash of realism, would punch three tidy holes through the Joker's ugly mug.

#238 Posted by JBBuc (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I would LOVE to see the Joker come to the Marvel U. let me list some Marvel heroes who I think would make a great story for the Joker coming to Marvel:

Like many have stated, I would like to see Joker versus either the Punisher or Wolverine. However, He could be in a mini-series against Any of the following: Ghost Rider, Hawk Eye, Deadpool, Red Hulk, Skaar or Cyclops

That is my list because for two reasons. First, I think that any of those characters would allow the Joker to be the Joker. Putting the Joker against Spiderman just wouldn't work Joker is, as someone else already stated, too hardcore for the pages of Spiderman. The same could be said of the Avengers. Those titles are not dark enough. These are the characters that would be up for the challenge and can descend into the depths in pursuit of the Joker. And the other thing is that in the end, Joker could be as absolutely DEAD as he deserves to be.

#239 Posted by ohrenclez (77 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont't think that the heroes of the MU could fight the joke without turning mad...the only reason why batman can is because he is basically the joker's counterpart as alan moore has shown....nobody can fight the joker as long as batman has without becoming an arkham inmate himself

#240 Posted by david_maurer (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I've always felt that the closest thing Marvel has to The Joker is Norman Osborn, so I imagine they'd give him the keys to the city! :)

#241 Posted by Hit_Monkey (889 posts) - - Show Bio
#242 Posted by jorgebeatsemile (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@ScreamingGhost said:

Joker just doesn't seem to line up with anyone in the marvel stable. Maybe Punisher or Daredevil but neither feels right. Chances are someone would end up killing the Joker because like stated before MU is less forgiving. Then again who knows Joker has given the League a run for its money in the past who knows what'd he would do to the Avengers. It would be very interesting to see this as a mini series, with DC and Marvel swapping there major villains. Then playing out how the two sets of heroes would deal with these new villains.

Maybe a lesser-known villain like the spot might work against the question, dontcha think?

#243 Posted by joeymatt5 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

not a good bad guy for marvel

#244 Posted by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

No the Joker should stay with Dc he would get killed off in Marvel pretty quick.

#245 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is more suited to Batmans world where there are less over the top superpowers. Xavier would simply stop Joker without breaking a sweat.

It would be funny to see Joker lure Wolverine into some building and Wolverine looks at some jack in the box confused only for it to spring open "Boom your dead HA HA." and the building proceeds to explode.

Of course, Wolverine would walk out barely anything more than an adamantium skeleton but then regenerate back; find Joker; and maybe be smart enough to cut his laughing head off.

#246 Posted by That60sGuy (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

I think Joker would make a cool Moon Knight villain. Give the already crazy schizophrenic man someone even more psychotic to fuel the crazy. That encounter would be...CRAZY.

This.

#247 Posted by That60sGuy (288 posts) - - Show Bio

daredevil already had a villain that was very "similar" (copied) from Joker - The Jester.

#248 Posted by marginal (5 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker is portrayed as a master criminal. The original and currently dominant image is of a highly intelligent psychopath with a, sadistic sense of humor.

He would kick *** , because hes average smart , and sometimes to much for bats, he kills because its fun, and you dont want to see him mad...

Rule nº1: dont piss off joker.

#249 Posted by stevsmit80 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Joker is an awesome character that should stay in the DC universe. He'd be too much for Marvel.

#250 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

He would be a good but VERY short lived villain.

With no-one to keep him alive and people like Punisher, Wolverine, Ghost Rider and all the other slightly lax moraled individuals running around New York. He would wind up dead very quickly.

For the truth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.