Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4241 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Off YOUR Mind: Would Joker be a Good Villain in the Marvel Universe?

kuma_far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By kuma_far

The Joker would be pretty damn dangerous if let loose in Marvel. He is really intelligent, not only like a chemist and inventor but as a tactical mind, even if most of his motives are chaotic his method are very well planned. He is also the deadliest non cosmical threat in DC Universe having dozen or even hundred confirmed one on one kills. During the Infinity Crisis he served the Royal Flush Gang all alone. He is a great fighter (Batman noting how unexpectedly fast he can be in multiple stories) feels little to no pain and his chaotic fighting style can get the drop from character less talented in close combat. He haves inmunity to poison and to mind reading (or a least resistance) and a uncanny skill to avoid death.

I can see him making Daredevil life living hell. And torturing most of the Heroes sent to fight him. Punisher would only get the drop on him if he caughts the Joker off-guard.

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By jcbart

@tylerlugowski said:

I think the Marvel universe couldn't handle The Joker. That's just my opinion. I think Joker should stay in DC.

Don't you mean Joker couldn't handle the Marvel Universe? He'd have been dead long ago with the likes of Wolverine, Nick Fury, Punisher and X-Force about.

Especially given The Days of Preemptive Future storyline in Uncanny X-Force. Psylocke alone would take him out. Psylocke. Let alone other characters or even villains who wouldn't stand for his ways (since villains in the MU have more morality as a whole than DCU villains).

oldstevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By oldstevens

If it was done well and handled well then it would be an interesting cross over. I don't think he would own the Marvel universe as some people think he would however he would cause some carnage and would cause some headaches for people like Daredevil and the none mutant members of the universe.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Novemberx2

well that's a tough one... a really tough one

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By kagato

@Top Flight Security said:

lol He'd probably team up with Deadpool and kill the entire Marvel roster.

This made me laugh, mostly because i could see it happening lol

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By Superguy0009e

He would be dead already.

Probably that or on the Thunderbolts

kimi74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By kimi74

Great question.. I like the idea of Joker going up against a telepath. The challenge, physically & mentally, could be fascinating to watch. Especially if the Joker plays on the history.. Pushes and pushes the telepath to breaking point. Batman can handle the psychological attacks - he's done it for so long. But a telepath, someone dealing with their own demons (Psylocke comes to mind, or Cable), could be really good if written well... He couldn't stay in the MU forever... Just feels wrong. But a visit, sure! Bring it on!

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By SupremeHyperion

Joker would be dead. if it wasn't the punisher, daredevil, etc,etc who killed him in the first book I'm sure doctor doom or even kingpin would end him for just being annoying and having no real purpose besides to annoy batman.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Deranged Midget

Would a character like Joker even last in the Marvel Universe when there's people like Frank Castle running around?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By crusader8463

He would be dead by the end of his first week. The Punisher would just roll up and kill him. If it wasn't him, marvel has a ton of people that would just kill him the second he started dancing around or threatening to bomb something. Even the villains wouldn't put up with his shit because he is too much of a wild card and the second he started trying to muscle in on someones turf he would be taken down. The only reason he is such a threat for Batman is because Batman never kills and the Joker uses that to his advantage.

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61  Edited By IronAngelX

I think the Joker would be perfect for someone like Daredevil or the Punisher. I couldn't really see him going up against any major super-powered individual or group. I do think that Marvel and DC need to put their heads together and come out with something of a cross-over series. There's a lot of characters that have been introduced that would be cool to see share some on-panel time.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62  Edited By Zeeguy91

Idk. Joker's just too engrained in the DCU for me to imagine him anywhere else. But, you know two great Marvel villains who I feel would fit right in in the DCU? The first I'd say is Galactus. DC, like Marvel, has boatloads of cosmic characters running around. Imagine if Galactus was pitted against the Anti-Monitor, for example. I would just give them my money. Also, I think Annihilus would fit in well as sort of a terrorist in the Anti-Matter Universe. I could definitely see him battling it out with the likes of the Weaponers.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Crackdown

Then in a twist of fate, Moon Knight would show up, carve his face off, and kick him into a glass recycling churn

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By wdchefdave

Spider-man has a goblin or two...

Daredevil had a "Jester"...

And, Punisher would definable not get the joke!

Nope, Joker belongs to the Bat!

He rarely plays with anyone outside the Bat Family.

(Moon Knight would be fun... only he may be even more insane than Joker!)

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Decept-O

I think a lot of posters have already summed up, the Clown Prince of Crime wouldn't last very long in the Marvel U.

Vincie_Pooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By Vincie_Pooh

I wanna see him interact with the other bad guys in Marvel. I could just see him and Green goblin working together and making chaos.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By evilvegeta74

I have to say that there are some serious vigilante's in marvel that would kill Joker without a blink.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Barkley

not really

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BushidoBlack

@turoksonofstone said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Pretty much. The Punisher would take care of him.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By feargalr

I literally have no idea where or how the Joker would fit into the Marvel universe....

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By karrob

@ARMIV2 said:

If handled right...and kinda only put in very specific stories...maybe...

He wouldn't own the Marvel Universe though.

Well said!

Hero4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Hero4life

Personally, I think Marvel has already been trying to copy Joker. Just look at Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, and Arcade.

Arcade was basically joker only difference didn't paint his face.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By z3ro180

if joker can give batman a hard time then he can give spiderman a really really really hard time

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@kuma_far said:

The Joker would be pretty damn dangerous if let loose in Marvel. He is really intelligent, not only like a chemist and inventor but as a tactical mind, even if most of his motives are chaotic his method are very well planned. He is also the deadliest non cosmical threat in DC Universe having dozen or even hundred confirmed one on one kills. During the Infinity Crisis he served the Royal Flush Gang all alone. He is a great fighter (Batman noting how unexpectedly fast he can be in multiple stories) feels little to no pain and his chaotic fighting style can get the drop from character less talented in close combat. He haves inmunity to poison and to mind reading (or a least resistance) and a uncanny skill to avoid death.

I can see him making Daredevil life living hell. And torturing most of the Heroes sent to fight him. Punisher would only get the drop on him if he caughts the Joker off-guard.

I absolutely agree. Most of these other comments assume that:

1. Most marvel characters have no compunction with killing (which isn't true)

2. The character they've decided to pit against the Joker would survive the first encounter.

Anyone who assumes that most Marvel characters can easily "take out" the Joker is also assuming that those same characters could easily best Batman, who the Joker sometimes outwits, outplays, or just plain kills the loved ones of.

Pazuzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Pazuzu

Honestly even if he was paired with a hero like spider-man He would easily push them to kill him,

Joker VS a super-powered Hero in the marvel Universe would end with a dead joker

Either by his main hero or another hero just passing through.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#76  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Joker would be dead, but he'll still come back to torment the lives of every hero. That'll be a laugh...

>:D

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Mycroftian

The thing that makes Joker great is his relationship with Batman. Strip him of that and I don't think he'd really be that compelling a villain. I'm sure it would be possible to write a decent story with Joker in the Marvel U, but I think the character loses something without his eternal foil, and wouldn't make for nearly as good a villain.

spinningwebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By spinningwebs

I think he'd work best as a Spider-man or Daredevil villain. Punisher wouldn't be good cause he wouldnt really have the same kind of relationship that could develop with the others.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TheCowman

Sure, he'd work fine.

He's so tied into Batman that it'd probably take awhile to establish a good relationship with the hero he'd be menacing, but you could do it. Probably one of the lower tier "street" heroes; Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, etc.

As for whether or not he'd be killed.....

Well of course he wouldn't. I mean, yes, realistically Joker stands zero chance against someone like Wolverine. Hell, Batroc the Leaper could take him out in a straight hand to hand fight. The Joker doesn't get killed because he's an A-list villain; and A-list villains never permanently die. They're too popular.

Operating on realism, Joker'd be dead within a week in Marvel OR DC, since most villains would be happy to snuff him out just as much as the heroes.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
    Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

He would be a good villain until he gets caught because I think that more characters are willing to kill in the Marvel U than in DC.

kuma_far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By kuma_far

He doesnt seem like a fighter, but he took out the Royal Flush Gang by himself, he gives Batman too much fight. Batman is a master martial artist that could easily overpower the Joker, but the Joker is ridiculous resourceful and skilled in combat, I think he could outsmart wolvie or the Punisher. He is alive thanks to that resourcefulness, he haves always another weapon in the sleeve or another wacky plan. He sure haves some plot armor, but which villain dont?

jimmyziogas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jimmyziogas

I feel like the original Joker required a certain amount of "suspension of disbelief" to accept him as a formidable foe for Batman. The fact that he was retconned and made into a comlete psycho makes him more believable, and it also allowed Batman to evolve with him. No one can really agree as to the amount influence that Marvel's darker toned series and their success had over Batman's evolution, but we all agree that in the end, Batman is way more badass. The Joker's constant ability to surprise the reader, and delve more thoroughly into his depravity and lunacy with each issue makes him one of the all time great villains, and I feel like he would make an impact on nearly every issue he touched. I agree that he wouldn't work well with lines like the Silver Surfer or the Guardians of the Galaxy, but he might fit in well with the likes of Iron Man, Spider-Man, Blade, Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Captain America, or even the X-Men lines if it was done well and with a lot of thought. That being said, we all look at major cross overs as a money motivated thing these days. I think it would be cooler if with all the social media at our disposal, the two major companies would create some type of official online battles, created by the fans, and include a voting system . I feel like nearly all readers want to see the varying contests of stregnth between the two universes [or multiverses] and their vast array of characters and timelines, so why not give it to them in a format they actually have an impact on. Creating matchups, submitting new ideas,casting ballots and voting would really make this medium interactive on a whole new level. An app or website could even use existing artwork, and minimal ad generated revenue so it would be cheap to run and still make money. I know it would really be something I would love as a fan of both companies.

PS: Not that I don't love comicvine's but we all love original content more:)

Avatar image for bamfsniktfwip45
    BamfSniktFwip45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BamfSniktFwip45

I don't want to really get into this rage over wether or not he'd die. Frankly, yeah theres tons of heroes in marvel and DC both who COULD and WOULD or probably SHOULD kill the Joker, but while he's a psychotic villain he also is a master of escape or else he'd be long dead by now.

Who's book would he be in? Who'd be his nemesis? Certainly NOT spiderman, or the x-men or the avengers or the fantastic four... But another street level guy... punisher and daredevil are good choices because Joker is most famous for running gangs and mobster style crime organizations. It wouldn't have to be just about the joker, the hero would have to fight his way up the food chain to reach him first. (Frankly I'd like to see Joker V Deadpool for the sheer comic slapstick value of it.)

What I want to point out is, the Joker, to me, would be pretty redundant in Marvel... we've already got a whole slew of Goblins who do essentially the same shtick, act crazy and laugh at people. We've already got FAR better mobsters and gangsters than the weirdo Gotham mobs (Penguin? Joker? Two Face?) in the form of the King Pin, Quartmain, and Mr. Negative. Joker just seems incompatible with Marvel to me... and honestly he's way to hyped in DC too...

Think of Batman. Batman is the worlds greatest detective, the worlds greatest strategist, a master of technology and martial arts on the same level as GODS, NEW GODS, TIME TRAVELERS and SUPERMAN, but yet somehow it's believable that he is incapable of putting this insane sewer trash into prison? I guess I don't get it.

(Lex Luthor V Dr. Doom is WAY more interesting to me.)

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#84  Edited By cosmo111687

I don't think that the Joker would work in the Marvel universe because he just wouldn't be as interesting when you remove him from Gotham and when you dissolve his relationship with Batman. In Gotham, he's the living personification of madness, the twisted heart and soul of Arkham. And as such, he makes the perfect adversary for Batman. Even his colourful wardrobe and personality are in total contrast with the Dark Knight's. But those would be lost if he fell into Marvel's hands. There's no room among the larger-than-life superheroes, Heli-carriers, and Punishers for a dapper old-school comedian who's most vicious weapon to date is a crowbar.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Lurkero

Joker is only a good villain because Batman won't kill him. MAYBE Spiderman in the Marvel universe, but I don't see Joker meaning much to Marvel.

fraffly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By fraffly

I also don't think the Joker would survive the Marvel U for more than 5 minutes, there are a lot more characters with no compunctions about killing than even in the DCnU. But put him in the Carnage Symbiote and you have a powerful and barking mad villain who goes well with everyone from Spider-Man over Wolverine up to the Hulk.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nah, lol Joker just doesn't belong in the 616 reality because there are just so too many heroes that walk the fine line between killing and no killing that they wouldn't put up with his antics for long. I namely think of that whole spread that shows Punisher ready to put a bullet in Joker's head. That was no show of force obviously. Castle meant business and he would have done the deed had Batman not been there to stop him. A crossover every once in a while is fine and its shown in the past to be effective. But to permanently move him there, definitely not. He'd be just a constant mind#$%^ to those he did screw around with, and no I don't believe on his own he'd be effective against the Avengers or even X-Men, even if the events of Last Laugh would have us think otherwise. Nah, just keep him where he is in Earth-0 now where he belongs ^^.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By aaunderoath

Lamest villain of all time .. sorry I know I'm the only one that thinks this but if he were in the Marvel U I'd say he'd work being a Daredevil, Hawkeye, or Winter Soldier villain

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#89  Edited By Green ankh

I think the only Marverl id see Joker with is the Punisher. TO work with others i think you'd have to tweek Joker to much to fit.

matchstick76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By matchstick76

Moonknight will kill with him. He's the Batman of Marvel U...but as stated, less forgiving.

faceforest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By faceforest

My opinion, you people give the Joker far too much credit. The way DC writes their heroes you're lucky to see any sort of bloodshed. Joker would be dead. If not from the heroes, from other villains that don't like competition. You could pit him against a range of Marvel characters. Spidey and Daredevil are good ones, Moon Knight and the Punisher, members of Heroes for Hire. Putting him against other villains would be fun too. Especially Bullseye, Task Master, or if he issued a challenge to King Pin. But the one guy I'd love to see him go toe to toe with is Deadpool. If you wrote him like he was in the late 90's early 00's, or basically like DPKTMU, that would be a great story.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By mattwing87

Marvel doesn't need Joker. It has Norman Osborn. He may not be as ruthless as the Joker but he pretty damn close at times.

Xtremesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Xtremesteve

DC sucks. If Marvel had the Batman franchise the whole company would tank.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

He would become the most hated villain among anyone in the marvel universe, he'd probably piss off Deadpool the most.

tuananhxu99001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By tuananhxu99001

I don't think so, most of marvel characters are too powerful for Joker and none of them are cool enough, Punisher is too brutal, Daredevil is... no. And the environment is too "bright" for Joker, you see Gotham,it's a "dark" place.

Batman is the perfect hero for Joker, no killing, smart, had a cool origin/personality not too powerful compare to Joker and got humiliated by Joker lots of times.

If Joker is in Marvel,a hero for him should be an out-law one or at least give Joker some superpowers...

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By VyseCarma

Joker would have been great for marvel, way back when their heroes refused to kill. The fact that Marvel now pushes the "Flawed Hero" element means somebody, somewhere, no matter how Lawfully Good the are will be pushed to the edge of insanity and beat Joker to death with something.

I must say, though, I'd love to see Joker vs Cap. Cap has to be along the same lines as Batman and so he would probably be the best option to throw Joker at. Another thought, with Joker in the Marv-U does that mean Harley has left the DCU as well?

tuananhxu99001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By tuananhxu99001

And no one in the Marvel universe can stand Joker's craziness...

pmvaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By pmvaun

The Joker needs Batman just like Batman needs the Joker. I am sure if you put the Joker in the Marvel Universe he would settle down have some kids and become a politician or something. Joker does what he does because it is a fun game with Batman. Batman won't kill him so he knows he can't really lose. But in the end the wrong guy always goes to Arkham Asylum...

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@Pazuzu said:

Honestly even if he was paired with a hero like spider-man He would easily push them to kill him,

Joker VS a super-powered Hero in the marvel Universe would end with a dead joker

Either by his main hero or another hero just passing through.

The Joker currently lives in a universe with Superman and Green Lantern. Both of these guys could rip planets in half, and have killed previous, yet the Joker lives. Is this due strictly to their mercy?

If Marvel heroes are so ready to eliminate their foes, how come there are so many? Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Doctor Doom, etc all live.

jpblair88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By jpblair88

Joker would kill Spider-Man in some ironic hilarious way and then the Avengers would make sure to crucify him publicly. Joker only works with Batman. I personally would rather see what DC would do with the Marvel characters. It would make sense for the US government to put together a super team in light of the Justice League forming. so there you have the Avengers. X-Men could be a bit trickier but it would be fun to see what Geoff Johns would do with them. could be awful though. I could see them as a new version of Outsiders in a story kind of similar to The Ravagers. Wolverine in the place of Fairchild. add in Rogue, Gambit, Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Psylocke as the rest of the team on the run from Weapon X Program. Cyclops and Phoenix have a strained and semi-secret relationship because Cyke works for SHIELD and Jean Grey is an open telepath who works for Charles Xavier of a metahuman rights organization. Beast also works for SHIELD and Storm is part of the Global Guardians formed by the UN.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.