Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4241 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Off My Mind: Mark Hamill's Last Joker Performance?

• 70 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Mark Hamill is largely known for two roles, Luke Skywalker and the Joker. Whenever the Joker makes a new animated (or video game) appearance, right away people state that Hamill is the only person that should do the job. Recently when Joker appeared on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, people were pretty clear on what they thought of someone else playing the Joker.

No Caption Provided

Mark Hamill played the Joker from 1992 to 2004. He's returned to the character for numerous products. He will once again give life to the Joker in the upcoming video game, Batman: Arkham Asylum 2. But will that be his last time?

No Caption Provided

In an interview with IGN, Hamill talks about how he was hesitant to return for the sequel, thinking they wouldn't be able to top the original. He wanted to go out "on a high note." One interesting comment he made leaves you to wonder if this will be his last time performing as the Joker.

"This will be my last, there's no question about that. But it's the last hurrah."

Does he mean this will be his last time voicing the Joker for a video game or the last time he will voice the Joker period?

No Caption Provided

As much as I love Hamill's Joker, I don't feel he's the only one that should voice him. I don't go into a rage like some do if it's announced that someone else will provide their interpretation. I do enjoy Jeff Bennett's version on Brave and the Bold and I cannot wait to hear John DiMaggio's take on Batman: Under The Red Hood. I don't understand when people refuse to give anyone else a chance. It would be like saying no comics should be drawn unless your favorite artist drew it.

When it comes to the business side of these projects, there are lots of factors to consider. With Brave and the Bold, maybe Hamill simply didn't want to or couldn't commit to the Joker's few appearances. Perhaps it was a matter of trying to keep the two franchises separate. Kevin Conroy has made several appearances on the show, but as characters other than Batman (as Phantom Stranger and the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh). Hamill has been on the show twice though as the voice of the Spectre.

I can understand if Hamill wants to stop doing the Joker. As he said, it would be nice to go out on a high note. It's good to know that he has such respect for the character and isn't simply willing to jump into the role as long as he gets paid for it. Fans may have no choice but to accept someone else as the Joker.

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Joey Ravn

I completely and deeply respect Mark Hamill for his role as the Joker all these years. He's unique at getting the very essence of the character in each and every of his performances. His contribution to the Batman mythos has been HUGE. If he wants to "retire" now, I wouldn't complain. He has more than earned it :)

Mr Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Mr Bubbles

NO!!!!

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By chalkshark

A lot of fans were, shall we say, less than enthused over the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Most were won over when they finally saw the performance. People will embrace a new voice for the Joker when they hear another one they like. It's success won't always depend on Mark Hamill's pipes.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By johnny_spam

What sucks is when message boards run rampant with people saying new actors suck and whine how it's not the definitive voice actors and refuse to accept any other actor they need to understand that these characters are open to interpretation and that's why they are successful.   

The point of Batman characters  in particular is they're open interpretation they are not meant to have one single vision.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3

I hope he doesn't  retire but I understand if he wants too move on with his life.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dondasch

Oh good, first to comment.  Let's see, where to start:

As far as this line goes:  

"As much as I love Hamill's Joker, I don't feel he's the only one that should voice him. I don't go into a rage like some do if it's announced that someone else will provide their interpretation. I do enjoy Jeff Bennett's version on Brave and the Bold and I cannot wait to hear John DiMaggio's take on Batman: Under The Red Hood. I don't understand when people refuse to give anyone else a chance. It would be like saying no comics should be drawn unless your favorite artist drew it. "

This is, in fact, a misconception.  I, for one, have listened to every voice incarnation of Joker, and frankly, all except Mark Hamill suck, so it's rather difficult to make that statement.  Not everyone goes into a rage, or anything of that nature.  The bar has been set to an extremely high level and for a long period of time by Mark Hamill.  He's simply the best Joker voice there is, hands down.  I enjoy Batman:  Brave and the Bold but find the Joker voice actor annoying.  There is a possibility I'll find the voice actor for the Red Hood DVD annoying, but that's hard to say at this point.  I'll give it a listen.

It's not a matter of refusing to give anyone a chance.  They are given their chance, and fall flat on their faces.  As far as comics go, the same applies.  If you come to expect a high level in the drawing and rendering of your favorite character, then why not expect that same high level in others?

Edit:  Meh, so I wasn't first.  Dodgy net connection

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @johnny spam: If you look at the comments on our youtube channel (I linked to it in the article) you can see that there is a different amount or respect. I'm so glad that the CV registered users have more respect and are more articulate than what is often seen elsewhere.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

New people open new doors for these characters, simple as that. And his Joker is a classic, but that doesn't mean he can be the ONLY classic :)

Knox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Knox

Wow, people are very understanding

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Joey Ravn said:
    " I completely and deeply respect Mark Hamill for his role as the Joker all these years. He's unique at getting the very essence of the character in each and every of his performances. His contribution to the Batman mythos has been HUGE. If he wants to "retire" now, I wouldn't complain. He has more than earned it :) "
    this pretty much sums up what I wanted to say. 

I think also that this issue will coincide with the whole who should play the Joker in the next Batman film debate... we have to at some point accept other people will step into the shoes of characters we love. Hopefully they do it justice :) 
    Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Golden Cod

I think it's Hamill's talent.   His voice-work is so believable and he is just as interesting to watch in the sound booth (link of Hamill working on Darksiders game).   He actually acts out his characters in the sound booth as he's voicing them!

On a tangent, would anyone else like to see Mark Hamill act / voice a Sith Lord?   Age hasn't been too kind to him (he's 58) yet despite that, I can't help but think about how his Joker-voice and Palpatine-esque appearance could create a super-cool Star Wars villain.

I'm not trying to be a jerk by bringing up his appearance but rather thinking how to get the man a last hurrah in the franchise that launched him into stardom and to return as an antagonist seems like a rather fun way to do it.   

Watch that video link if you don't believe me!

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

wait isnt he working on directing his own movie???

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Theodore

Can't wait to hear DiMaggio. I loved Mark Hamill but I can understand that he is done with the Joker, he has been doing it for a long time. Thank you Mark.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dondasch

Looks like it's time to get Arkham Asylum and the sequel to prepare for the grand and well deserved exit/retirement of Mark Hamill's Joker.

Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ekasra

I'd be a little disappointed if this was the last time we hear him as the Joker. He pretty much made that role and is well known in the voice acting community for it. I hate to bring a Star Wars reference into this, but it's almost like Anthony Daniels wasn't doing C-3PO.

weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weapon154

Like you guy, it is more than disappointing, he nailed the role and gave us fans his best he could and if he's leaving the role, then don't you think they'll just get a good enough replacement for him?   

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Cant lie, for the longest time I wasn't even aware that Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill was the voice of the Joker.  Its also understandable why fans react negatively when an established voice/character changes but its bound to happen. I admit I was disappointed when Starscream and Megatron weren't voiced by their classic counterparts from the cartoon but it didn't make or break the movie for me. And I'm always disappointed when someone other then Kevin Conroy voices Batman. Joker however seems like one of those characters that anyone with a crazy laugh can pull off, but thats just me.

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By The Jeff
    @G-Man:  I read this article on IGN and was under the assumption it was his (The Joker) last time in an Arkham game, not the character entirely
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I just looked up on www.imdb.com and Larry Storch, Agarn from F-Troop was The Joker in the late '60's animated Batman. I wonder if he was the voice of The Joker in the Scooby Doo meets Batman episodes... 

I think Mark Hamill's performance as The Joker is incredibly remarkable. It's such a change from Luke Skywalker. Except for Return of the Jedi, maybe... 

I wasn't a real big fan of the WB version, The Batman or The Joker on that one. 

This latest verion, Batman: Brave and the Bold, seems pretty good. 

I'll wait and see on Under The Red Hood...     

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

Let's hope John D'maggio does good! :D

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'm sure that there'll be more who take on the Joker as either voice or on-screen actors.  But Mark Hamill has always been my favourite.  He always seemed to know how to make him sound so malicious, yet not spiteful, and always full of laughs... While it's sad he wont be the Joker any more, I'm just happy we've been treated to his Joker for so many years :)
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Sparda

I think that Hamill said the same thing for the first Arkham Asylum. I can't imagine anyone elsing voicing the Joker. It always seems weird when somebody does. Hamill just has the best version.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrMiracle77

As I played through the first Arkham Asylum, I couldn't help but notice an interesting effect: Conroy and Hamill are so firmly imprinted in my mind as Batman and Joker that the use of their voices helps to suspend disbelief.  As I wandered through the game and listened to Hamill's voice taunting through the Asylum loudspeaker, I never once thought to myself "that's someone playing the Joker".  I only thought, "that's the Joker."  Their voices turned Arkham from a really good video game into a full interactive cinematic experience.

The same held true for Conroy.  I never once had any trouble recognizing when Batman was thinking or when he was speaking.  I had no trouble separating Thomas Wayne's voice from the others as well.

So a tip of the hat to Kevin, Mark, and Arleen too for keeping these characters alive and very much 'animated' for the past 20 years.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sora_thekey

Well in this case all I can say is that the characters are timeless, but the people responsible for bringing these characters to life are not. Which is why if Hamill wants to give up the character it's totally his decision, there will be other people who can do just as good a job, or even better!

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By KRYPTON

Maybe he is Retiring from acting. I don't mind someone else taking the role. But, the End? I bet Mark Hamill deserves a well needed vacation, from acting.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#26  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

I don't Mind someone else as the Joker. Mark Hamill has gave inspiration to other actors to play the Joker. 

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

This also doesn't mean its his last Voice over work either.  Just the last time he will play the Joker.  And we will get other talented voice over artists for different Joker jobs.
    He also was the Fire King guy from Avatar (Airbender), the buisnessman who turned Victor Freize into Mr. Freeze, the Specter, as well as many others all over different cartoon shows.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By goldenkey

Hamill just does such a supurb job on the Joker its hard not to want anyone else.  He does what Jack and Heath both couldn't do.  Bring the scary and the funny.  Heath had funny moments, but not clowny moments just crazy.  Hamill really took to the character well and in my opinion people should try and copy it.  Don't make it your own because Hamill Joker is THE joker.  When they try to make it thier they just mess it up.  His evil laugh is hands down the best the tho. 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By goldenkey

he'll be back
    Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#30  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

Mark Hamill has my respect for being the absolute bestest voice for the Joker. It will suck for him to leave, but will never be forgotten by us fans. However, there can be a new voice for the Joker, they just have to pick the right man for it and not some random guy that will over exaggerate him. For example: (Not counting the movie versions)

Kevin Michael Richardson voice as The Joker on "The Batman" wasn't that bad. In fact, he did pretty well on the show. But the character design should've been alot better.  

Richard Epcar voice as The Joker on "Mortal Kombat vs. DCU"  was great, at least for me. He's some what like Mark Hamill's Joker but more gruffier. His jokes are also ok too.

Jeff Bennett voice as The Joker from "Batman: Brave and the Bold" fit's well for a 1960's Joker, but would totally fail if he's "the new guy" for the Joker. 

James Patrick Stuart voice for The Jester, an alternate version of The Joker, from "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths"...meh. Ok, but not good enough.  

I too will be looking forward for John Dimaggio as The Joker for "Batman: Under the Red Hood" There can be a new voice for The Joker, and when he come and does well, he'll get as much respect as Mark Mamill did. More or less.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Thats a shame, he was great.

Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lustwish

Hamill is Joker

Aheld92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aheld92

while i don't mind Hamil is done (even though he's amazing) a really good voice-over artist cool easily closly match him. Please don't make the brave and the bold guys the new joker though he sucks
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrMiracle77
    @Nerd Of A Hero: 

Jeff Bennett sold me on one line: when Joker is pulling different weapons out of his pockets, he whips out a pie and says, "too fruity".
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sexy_merc

Mark Hamill is the only Joker. Kevin Conroy is the only Batman. End of story.
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The WeatherMan

One thing is for sure, I cannot wait to get my hands on that game!
    yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By yo_yo_fun

I am completely open to someone else voiceing the Joker, but Mark Hamill made his mark almost 18 years ago & people just can't picture (or listen) anyone else play the part.

I know I get excited when I heard Mark play the Joker & espcially when Kevin Conroy plays Batman. I feel that Kevin is THE BATMAN, no one can replace him...nor Mark Hamill for the Joker.
    People hate change & I hate it as much as anyone but I guess you just have to be open minded about that. I understand that he can't voice every Joker episode or game but I hope this will not be his last time.

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By spystreak

no one else can come close to what Hamill did he in my personal opinion is the best at joker's voice and that's not going to change anytime soon
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I'm pretty bummed about it 
    Mark's brought something really special to the character 
    and I think a lot of kids in their 20's now hear his voice in their head any time they think about the Joker at all 
    he was great on Avatar: The Last Airbender too, for a little as he had to say for the most part

still a shame 
    he IS the voice of insanity........but in a good way?

RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40  Edited By RedHurricane24

I'm as old-fashioned as the next guy, which refusing to hear someone other than Mark Hamill as The Joker. But if Heath Ledger could top off Jack Nicholson's rendition, then it's time to give John DiMaggio a chance to see if he can top off Mark Hamill's legendary performance.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41  Edited By The Lobster

THANK YOU!!!!

I'm so sick of people typing a rage because Kevin Conroy of Mark Hamill wasn't hired to play Batman and the Joker. They don't even give the other actors a fair chance, once the role is announced and it's not one of the two, people freak out. 

How about a little more variety in our voice actors? Anyone who thinks Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill should be the ONLY actors to voice Batman and Joker should think of it this way. Don't you think that if Batman was voiced by the same guy over and over and over again you'd eventually get sick of him? it's like eating your favorite food, if you eat nothing but your favorite food your eventually going to get sick of it and want something else.

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spiderbuck1

Mark Hamill is a legend.

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Adam Michaels

Mark Hamill as the Joker is classic. 

But if I'll be completely honest. I much prefered Kevin Michael Richardson as Joker in The Batman. The series had its flaws (although I enjoy it immensely), but KMR voicing the Joker is not among them. He truly did make the character sound looney! 

Nevertheless, even if I prefer KMR personally, there's no doubt that Hamill is the voice of Joker for so many people.
    DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DarkSyde79

Hamill’s done his thing as the Joker but in the end, we’ll get over it. No one can play a role forever!!! 

Avatar image for amazingspidermike
    AmazingSpiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always preferred him as Cock-Knocker, if you ask me.lol

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SoA
    @Sexy Merc: 
    truer words have never been spoken
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By Silver Knight75

That's too bad. He does it so well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Mark Hamills Joker is on the same scale as Nichlson and Ledger

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Dark Cell

oh god he cant go! he's freaking awesome!

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bruce Vain

Jeff Bennet blows as the Joker I'm sorry.  

I see what you're saying about giving another actor a chance to voice the Joker. But the problem is that Mark & Kevin made such an imprint on us that when you see an image of Joker or Batman you hear THEIR voices & not the other voice actors. Same goes for like Freeze, Harley Quinn or Two-Face.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.