Off My Mind: Is Joker's Blood Toxic?

• 68 results
Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio
The Joker is Batman's most dangerous villain. It turns out his actions and mind aren't the only thing about him you need to worry about. Did you know, that even his blood can be used as a weapon?  

When we last saw Joker, he was at the mercy of Damian Wayne and a crowbar. In the upcoming issue #14 of Batman and Robin, Joker shows off his insane and brilliant mind. He takes his beating from Damian with that eerie grin of his. At first you might think it's simply because he's crazy or perhaps he actually enjoys taking a beating.  

The truth, the Joker always has a plan in mind. The rusty wheels and cogs in that mind of his are always in motion. Somehow the Joker has already planned for this sort of incident.  

As his blood starts flying, Joker has a little surprise in store for young Damian. 
 == TEASER == 
If the Joker's blood is indeed as toxic as his mind is, I have to wonder how long this has been the case. Joker has shown in the past that he has a knack for creating deadly toxins. We may not know the full details of his past (and apparently he's not so sure of them himself) but he obviously has an extensive knowledge when it comes to dealing with creating deadly mixtures.  

The deadly Joker Venom is no longer just part of a weapon (usually a flower on his lapel), it is now inside his body in his blood.  

It's hard to figure out what Joker's overall motives are. As brilliant as his crazy mind is, he does often get apprehended and that makes you think it's what he wants. Perhaps he gets bored after a while and doesn't mind taking some time out to just relax at Arkham Asylum (or whatever place they decide to lock him up). He knows and we know that eventually he will escape with minimal effort.  

The Joker has angered loads of people. As dedicated as the law enforcement officers are, I'm sure Joker's taken a beating during his booking process. Besides being a violation of his rights (but who really cares since it's Joker, right?), everyone will soon learn that beating up the Joker isn't a good idea.  

What this means for Damian remains to be seen. There have been different degrees to the Joker Venom in the past. With Damian getting exposed, we have to assume this isn't a deadly dose he'll be receiving. Maybe even Joker couldn't survive with a deadly strain running through his veins. If this is just enough to paralyze Damian, will Joker take the opportunity to do to Damian what he tried doing to Jason Todd

Since Grant Morrison is writing the issue, there are obviously many angles to consider. We still don't have all the answers to what Joker was planning as Oberon Sexton. Joker claimed he wanted to help this Batman (as he knows it's not "his Batman") against Doctor Hurt. We'll have to see if he decides to use the crowbar to escape police custody or to take out his Robin issues on Damian. 

Besides the crazy action and violence, I think it's important to acknowledge the cunningness of the Joker's mind. I would assume he somehow put the Joker Venom in his blood (I could be wrong but I can't recall it ever being shown in his blood before). I don't think this is a result of the chemical bath he took that turned him into the Joker in the first place. As crazy as he may be, he does excel at mixing and creating this deadly mix of chemicals. He may have been immune to the toxin before but how would he know it wouldn't have an effect on him when introduced into his bloodstream. There's also the fact that he knows it would be a weapon while getting beaten to pulp. You can't deny the Joker has a brilliant mind. It's just too bad he's "crazy as a coot."
Staff
#1 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait !!!

#2 Edited by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

He uses the Joker Venom for years. He could have used it on himself and so his blood became tainted. I do remember reading somewhere that when a mosquito sucked some of his blood, it died. He is definitely very smart, it may not be obvious sometimes but he certainly is.

#3 Posted by Zghost (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I recall joker being immune to "joker venom", maybe the reason he is immune is because he put it in himself first as a test subject?  As far a the Joker being crazy, in recent years I would have to say hes been getting more sane as the randomness is a bit less and he is planning and replanning much like batman does.  I def like it that they are showing how smart he is, but at the same time i would like the crazy joker to come back where you got ?!?!?!? kind of moments more.

#4 Posted by aZuLPiNoY (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is hands down my FAVORITE villain.  As long as the writers don't jack him up like they did with Norman Osborne, I don't think I can be mad at anything he does as a villain!  I like the toxic Joker blood idea they're bringing up!
#5 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like I have been waiting so long to read this issue...
#6 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

when does this come out? I heard it might be pushed another month to accomodate ROBW..
#7 Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmoothJammin: Pretty sure it's out on September 9.
Staff
#8 Posted by KurtWagner (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else noticed that Joker's face ont last panel of the second page reminds this Conrad Veidt's photo:

*yes, i know that J was drawn of Veidt's Man Who Laughs.
#9 Posted by MarchToWar (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Well bad enough to turn his hair green and skin white    

#10 Posted by NightFang (10078 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that Joker!

#11 Posted by ComiCCloseup (287 posts) - - Show Bio
@KurtWagner:
OMFG Sick man that is disturbing and creeping me the F out lol
#12 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't poison Ivy once use the Jokers blood after discovering it is indeed toxic?

#13 Posted by Chicago_Bruce (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering though, are we supposed to treat the idea of The Joker's blood being toxic as new information? It seems, since he was always immune to Joker Venom, perhaps we are now learning that he has always been the source. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that he drains his body of blood for each Joker Venom batch, but rather replicates or synthesizes what he's already got. Just a thought.

Looking forward to this issue very much! Can't stand waiting!

#14 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Batman (Bruce Wayne) immune to the toxin at this point?

#15 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

Um...didn't this get established back in Batman #663 when the mosquito bit him?

#16 Posted by BrianDusel (75 posts) - - Show Bio

That is an interesting thing I dont think many people even wondered about before now.  So does he use his blood in his Joker Venom?
#17 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1853 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Joker's blood is toxic. Bruce wayne beat the Joker up in the Hush storyline and Joker was bleeding a lot. Bruce was not affected. Maybe the roomwas pumped with a gas version Joker venom.
#18 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

I NEED THIS COMIC ASAP!

#19 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crimson Eagle said:
" I don't think Joker's blood is toxic. Bruce wayne beat the Joker up in the Hush storyline and Joker was bleeding a lot. Bruce was not affected. Maybe the roomwas pumped with a gas version Joker venom. "
Nicely pointed pout the joker has bleed.  But the Joker did "die" with the bullet in the head during Grant's run.  Maybe this is a new an improved joker :D
#20 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Damian haven't received a serum to make him immune to the Joker's toxins. Not including Batman RIP, but this is the first time Damian has encountered the Joker. 

Even so, I still can't wait for this issue.

#21 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it wrong to root for the crowbar?Would it not be irony of ironies that he gets to off that robin like he did the other.Im sure lazrus pit wil fix it but still.
#22 Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts said:
" @Crimson Eagle said:
" I don't think Joker's blood is toxic. Bruce wayne beat the Joker up in the Hush storyline and Joker was bleeding a lot. Bruce was not affected. Maybe the roomwas pumped with a gas version Joker venom. "
Nicely pointed pout the joker has bleed.  But the Joker did "die" with the bullet in the head during Grant's run.  Maybe this is a new an improved joker :D "
This is why I was wondering if the venom in his blood is a new thing. You know he's always playing around with his chemistry set when he's not out murdering people. I think this is something that's been added. So now if he gets beat up between getting arrested and taken to the police station, people will be in for a surprise. 

As for the mosquito, it would take a tiny amount to have an affect on a mosquito. To have an affect on a person would have to be a much stronger strain.
Staff
#23 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

damn the joker...he's just soo good.:P

#24 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @Crimson Eagle said:
Nicely pointed pout the joker has bleed.  But the Joker did "die" with the bullet in the head during Grant's run.  Maybe this is a new an improved joker :D "
This is why I was wondering if the venom in his blood is a new thing. You know he's always playing around with his chemistry set when he's not out murdering people. I think this is something that's been added. So now if he gets beat up between getting arrested and taken to the police station, people will be in for a surprise.  As for the mosquito, it would take a tiny amount to have an affect on a mosquito. To have an affect on a person would have to be a much stronger strain. "
I think G-Man cracked the Morrison code before reading the issue :D
That makes so much sense.  Joker tried poison smiling fish, but what did that really do?  If that even his blood becomes another weapon.... limitless.  So now mosquitoes become dangerous. 

I hope its a new thing.  It seems like a very local next step in jokers evolution.
#25 Posted by FrandyCelestin (2 posts) - - Show Bio

First Poison Ivy's blood is toxic. Then Bane's blood is toxic. Now the Joker's blood is too! That is such a stupid creation. It seems like all of the caped crusader's rouge gallery are now dehumanized. Remember writers Keep it simple stupid. The joker is a fine character all ready. You are basically turning him into Jimmy Olson with all that stupid powers he recieved through out his history.
#26 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

either way, it's creepy looking

#27 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (571 posts) - - Show Bio

venom blood or not, preview looks killer. sucks that it got delayed until September.

#28 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is already Bad@$$ he doesn't really need this "JokerVenom" stuff, they should save it for a 3rd rank villain or a Joker wannabe story

#29 Posted by TravKing (4 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome
#30 Edited by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio

When Joker was "transformed" his whole body went thru a psychological(Super Sanity) chemical physiological (&physical..its hinted that he cant process pain the way we do &has unheard of control over his body) it only makes sense to assume his blood also underwent drastic changes, and its also safe to assume the joker toxin..which puts ppl into jokerlike rictus..is based on his chemical/genetic template..so base traces would be present in his blood..but not to the same extent as the weaponised version..Venom

Cant wait to see where they take this..as long as its not havin Bruce come back from the dead to see a Dead Damian... Thatd be tragic sure..but I wana see where Ibn alXu'ffasch goes ..theres SO much potential there..dont wana see that wiped for some cheap Joker Spree revival

#31 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was in the Batman and Son trade where the mosquito thing happened. and then he spit in some guys face too, so i guess it's body fluids in general. 

also, Damian smiling?  Creepier than the Joker.
#32 Edited by NightFang (10078 posts) - - Show Bio
  @FrandyCelestin said:

" First Poison Ivy's blood is toxic. Then Bane's blood is toxic. Now the Joker's blood is too! That is such a stupid creation. It seems like all of the caped crusader's rouge gallery are now dehumanized. Remember writers Keep it simple stupid. The joker is a fine character all ready. You are basically turning him into Jimmy Olson with all that stupid powers he recieved through out his history."

Poison Ivy has always been poisonous, it just make sense for her blood to be deadly. Bane's blood isn't poisonous. He just uses a super drug called Venom that makes him crazy at times, it's a major part of his history. In the old days Joker would always escape getting arrested by the cop's and would check death as if he was immortal so I don't really see the problem with his blood turning into Joker Venom.  

@Joe Venom said:

" Joker is already Bad@$$ he doesn't really need this "JokerVenom" stuff, they should save it for a 3rd rank villain or a Joker wannabe story "

You do know the Joker Venom been using sense he first appear right in different ways, right? 
#33 Posted by simonchan (101 posts) - - Show Bio

wow... crazy

#34 Posted by knife (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Why wouldn't Joker's blood be toxic, he was created by it in a way.
#35 Posted by Chaos Burn (1785 posts) - - Show Bio
@KurtWagner:  I read somewhere that the Joker's look was in fact based on 'The Man Who Smiles'
#36 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if it isn't toxic it looks pretty purple and nasty.  Purple blood isn't normal.

#37 Posted by ClayfaceTheTerror (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if it does have to do with his blood its probably something he put into his blood to make it that way, then again it doesn't actually show that it was his blood that did it at all, it could be something entirely different. I guess it will be explained in the issue. One things for sure though, he won't be killing Damian, because in the beginning of the last comic it showed him and Batman being captured by Dr. Hurt, and that this whole story is a flashback.
#38 Posted by deacon11 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't remember the joker using his own toxin like this before. it really just makes him all the more creepy and messed up, something i think the art in the sequence really portrayed well

#39 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker Blood,yum................ 
Vampires be Warned!
#40 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is so freakin' awesome!

#41 Posted by emaldona (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn joker such a bad ass

#42 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1853 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:
" @Silkcuts said:  
This is why I was wondering if the venom in his blood is a new thing. You know he's always playing around with his chemistry set when he's not out murdering people. I think this is something that's been added. So now if he gets beat up between getting arrested and taken to the police station, people will be in for a surprise.  As for the mosquito, it would take a tiny amount to have an affect on a mosquito. To have an affect on a person would have to be a much stronger strain. "

I think G-Man cracked the Morrison code before reading the issue :D
That makes so much sense.  Joker tried poison smiling fish, but what did that really do?  If that even his blood becomes another weapon.... limitless.  So now mosquitoes become dangerous. 

I hope its a new thing.  It seems like a very local next step in jokers evolution 

I think that Grant Morrison has a new story arc in mind that involves the Joker and the rest of the Bat- Family. 

BTW,(just thinking out of the box)  could this new Joker venom be a mind control? 
So whoever comes in contact with the blood become a "Joker Zombie." 
#43 Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pizawle:  
@emaldona:

He just sits there and takes a beating...from a freakin' crowbar!
Staff
#44 Posted by karrob (4280 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep!

#45 Edited by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe this is the seeding for a Joker Junior story like in Batman Beyond return of the joker 
The Joker did say that Damian Wayne sounds just like him

#46 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker can take a beating

He should really learn from all of his mistakes

#47 Posted by evodmasters (571 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows? Maybe all this time he has made joker venom from his blood.

#48 Posted by DarkSyde79 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not surprised. Toxic blood would make sense... to an insane person. :oP 

#49 Posted by harleyquinnhawkgirl (336 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG this looks absolutely insane! I had a feeling the Joker would be too much for Damian to handle alone.
#50 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat little new concept for him. Maybe I will check this out I guess. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.