Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4198 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Literature to Comics: A Joker-Work Orange

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By biggkeem89

So, while I'm out on vacation with  nothing to do save studying my LSAT prep book, I decided to combine my love for comics with my passion for literature. So the first of my comparisons between everyone's favorite "Clown Prince of Crime" The Joker, and Anthony Burgess's famous novella(and film) "A Clockwork Orange". 
    Let's take a look at the main character of the novel Alex. Alex leads a gang that terrorizes the streets. The beat, rape, steal, and commit horrible acts just because of Alex's obsessive love for chaos and violence. Alex is fragrantly flamboyant and proud of his work. However, he isn't just an animal. Alex has a hint of refinement with a love for classical musical. Alex serves as a picture of what I like to call "controlled chaos". He controls and spreads chaos to the world around him. The Joker is the epitome of the idea of "controlled chaos". He has dedicated himself to the spread of anarchy against the ultimate characterization of order(Batman). Like Alex, Joker every act serves to feed his own love for violence and the spread of chaos. The Joker is also not just a wild creature. He is elaborate and loud, proudly shouting his greatness and views to the world, even in the face of Batman himself. Even the makeup worn by Alex in the film is strikingly reminiscent of the Joker. Uncanny, isn't it? 
    Now let's look at Alex's rehabilitation in prison. In prison, Alex is subjected an experimental treatment( the Ludovico Technique) designed to rid him of his obsession with violence. This technique is protested by the prison priest, but pushed by the prison officials. He is eventually broken, and even the slightest hint of violence or sexual deviancy causes him to become unable to function. This is very much reminiscent of Joker's many trips to Arkham Asylum. He is always subjected to the newest treatment in order to try to break through the lunatic's mind. When the technique is questionable, some always protests(Batman), but it is usually pushed by Arkham's administrators. However, unlike Alex, the Joker does not break, and succumb to the treatment. Joker chooses to constantly reinvent himself, and defy the reprogramming.  
    Finally let's look to the end of "A Clockwork Orange". After nearly being driven to suicide by those seeking revenge for his violent activities, Alex breaks his programming and his mind returns to its previous chaotic state. In the end, he has recruited a new gang, and after seeing his former friend with a family, contemplates a family of his own with the hopes that he will have a son that will share the same chaotic nature as he. The same can be said for the Joker. In "The Killing Joke", we are treated to an origin of the Joker(which is debatable) that sees him in his previously life as a failed comedian creating a family. It can be argued that if this origin is true, then  maybe somewhere deep inside, the Joker may be seeking a family of his own that shares his chaotic nature. This could explain his affinity for Harley Quinn, and his efforts at times to influence others to follow his path. 

This discussion can also apply to Carnage( and probably more so than the Joker). What do you think?

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sydpart2

some interesting points...I wrote a fan fic awhile back where I had Joker running through and destroying someone's house while belting out "singing in the rain"...but I'd disagree with the family point.

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By batmanary
    @biggkeem89 said:
    " So, while I'm out on vacation with  nothing to do save studying my LSAT prep book, I decided to combine my love for comics with my passion for literature. So the first of my comparisons between everyone's favorite "Clown Prince of Crime" The Joker, and Anthony Burgess's famous novella(and film) "A Clockwork Orange". Let's take a look at the main character of the novel Alex. Alex leads a gang that terrorizes the streets. The beat, rape, steal, and commit horrible acts just because of Alex's obsessive love for chaos and violence. Alex is fragrantly flamboyant and proud of his work. However, he isn't just an animal. Alex has a hint of refinement with a love for classical musical. Alex serves as a picture of what I like to call "controlled chaos". He controls and spreads chaos to the world around him. The Joker is the epitome of the idea of "controlled chaos". He has dedicated himself to the spread of anarchy against the ultimate characterization of order(Batman). Like Alex, Joker every act serves to feed his own love for violence and the spread of chaos. The Joker is also not just a wild creature. He is elaborate and loud, proudly shouting his greatness and views to the world, even in the face of Batman himself. Even the makeup worn by Alex in the film is strikingly reminiscent of the Joker. Uncanny, isn't it?  Now let's look at Alex's rehabilitation in prison. In prison, Alex is subjected an experimental treatment( the Ludovico Technique) designed to rid him of his obsession with violence. This technique is protested by the prison priest, but pushed by the prison officials. He is eventually broken, and even the slightest hint of violence or sexual deviancy causes him to become unable to function. This is very much reminiscent of Joker's many trips to Arkham Asylum. He is always subjected to the newest treatment in order to try to break through the lunatic's mind. When the technique is questionable, some always protests(Batman), but it is usually pushed by Arkham's administrators. However, unlike Alex, the Joker does not break, and succumb to the treatment. Joker chooses to constantly reinvent himself, and defy the reprogramming.   Finally let's look to the end of "A Clockwork Orange". After nearly being driven to suicide by those seeking revenge for his violent activities, Alex breaks his programming and his mind returns to its previous chaotic state. In the end, he has recruited a new gang, and after seeing his former friend with a family, contemplates a family of his own with the hopes that he will have a son that will share the same chaotic nature as he. The same can be said for the Joker. In "The Killing Joke", we are treated to an origin of the Joker(which is debatable) that sees him in his previously life as a failed comedian creating a family. It can be argued that if this origin is true, then  maybe somewhere deep inside, the Joker may be seeking a family of his own that shares his chaotic nature. This could explain his affinity for Harley Quinn, and his efforts at times to influence others to follow his path.  This discussion can also apply to Carnage( and probably more so than the Joker). What do you think? "
    Well actually the Family idea does really make sense, and even more so if you take PumpkinBomb's theory that Joker might be Batman sent back in time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.