is the joker the best villain ever?

#1 Posted by enterthejoker (24 posts) - - Show Bio

i think so, considering he has no "powers" but can still hold his own against even superman. what do you think?

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
I believe he is one of the more interesting and entertaining villains out there...not sure about the best though =\
#3 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he's not.

#4 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that he is...but your reasons are kinda dumb

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Fanboy reasoning at its finest.

Put Joker up against Superman for three seconds with no prep and no editorial protection ("We can't let him die! He makes us so much cash!") and he is dead. As hell.

#6 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz said:
"I believe he is one of the more interesting and entertaining villains out there...not sure about the best though =\ "

Agreed
#7 Edited by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Lucifer Morningstar, He's the freaking devil you can't be more of a villain than that
#8 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
"No, he's not. "
#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
"
Lucifer Morningstar, He's the freaking devil you can't be more of a villain than that "
true...

No Joker is just the craziest.
#10 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely not, there is one fictional villain who forced London into a state of grief and turmoil after killing their beloved fictional hero somewhere around the 1900 (this really did happen in real life). And nearly sent the writer of the Sherlock Holmes series homeless.

Joker may be famous, but take it from a DIE-HARD villain lover that he isn't nowhere near the fame and reputation that the villain from the Sherlock Holmes series, Professor James Moriarty has obtained.

Alot may disagree with me on this, but it is a fact that Moriarty did make a major impact on fictional history and the name of villainy by only making two appearances in the series.

Don't believe me, I would suggest hitting the roots of villainy that grew way before Joker's time.

#11 Posted by entropy_aegis (15060 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
"No, he's not. "

LOL this.It's all subjective.
#12 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

He's possibly the most evil.

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Joker
  • Darkseid
  • Doctor Doom

Those are the Big 3 of Villainy. Arrange them as you will and you're still correct.
#14 Posted by ombla2 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

one of the best...

#15 Posted by Renton (166 posts) - - Show Bio

He's my favourite, thats all I care about

#16 Posted by craigbo180 (196 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" Fanboy reasoning at its finest.

Put Joker up against Superman for three seconds with no prep and no editorial protection ("We can't let him die! He makes us so much cash!") and he is dead. As hell. "
Yeah you don't say. How does that in anyway detract from Joker as a villain? He is an excellently written character who effortlessly portrays the true insanity and all the evil it can bring. Joker is simply a much more interesting villain than anyone else I can think of and that's why in my opinion he is probably the greatest villain there has ever been. If the question was who is the most powerful villain or who is the strongest villain the joker wouldn't win but when you are asking about the best, Joker has to be right up there.
#17 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

i only like joker in shows and movies, comic joker can kiss my ass.

#18 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@craigbo180 said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:

Put Joker up against Superman for three seconds with no prep and no editorial protection ("We can't let him die! He makes us so much cash!") and he is dead. As hell. "
Yeah you don't say. How does that in anyway detract from Joker as a villain?"
It limits the amount of credible stories you can write with him outside of a Batman comic.
#19 Posted by craigbo180 (196 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @craigbo180 said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:

It limits the amount of credible stories you can write with him outside of a Batman comic. "
I don't know about that, Joker has genius level intelligence so a good writer can write what I is considered a "credible" story in a comic book, not sure I have read to many of those to be honest. Joker is primarly a Batman villain and that is where he is at his brilliant best.

Dude's who are super powerful are great and they have their place, but whats even scarier is a normal ass dude who is crazy enough to take on earths greatest heroes.
#20 Posted by theindomitableman (60 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Joker is annoying like Deadpool but without fighting skills.

#21 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio
@craigbo180 said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @craigbo180 said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:

It limits the amount of credible stories you can write with him outside of a Batman comic. "
I don't know about that, Joker has genius level intelligence so a good writer can write what I is considered a "credible" story in a comic book, not sure I have read to many of those to be honest. Joker is primarly a Batman villain and that is where he is at his brilliant best. Dude's who are super powerful are great and they have their place, but whats even scarier is a normal ass dude who is crazy enough to take on earths greatest heroes. "

Joker is the greatest villain in "comics", anything related to comics, and any other media that has his snarling grin. I personally disagree with the fact that Joker reaches number 1 as a "comic book" villain.

BUT, he isn't the greatest villain of all time. Despite how many modern day fans disagree, it's a full fledged fact that there are other's who simply made a much larger impact than the Joker.

#23 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker is a very complex and complicated villain. That makes him unique. That is all I can say.

#24 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a villain can only really be compared to their nemesis, e.g. Joker, Batman. Sure, against Batman, he is the ultimate villain, weak enough to take out with extreme force, strong enough to withstand the Bat, smart enough to counter Batman, and always crazy enough to come up with new and wacky ways to attack Bruce.

#25 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7701 posts) - - Show Bio

Naw man. Flat Top is.

#26 Edited by Mr. Ubiquitous (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

HELL NO!!!!...There IS no other KING of the villains but one,...Dr. DOOM!!!!

Even the HISTORY channel, raked DOOM# 1   ;)

and FYI...George Lucas loosely based Darth Vader from Dr. Doom....
#27 Posted by PowerHerc (82612 posts) - - Show Bio

Imo:  No.
#28 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12851 posts) - - Show Bio

its all opinion based

i would put him in the top 10

#29 Edited by The_Jokes_On_You (73 posts) - - Show Bio

He is my favorite but even I have to know that he isnt the best villian ever.

However, in the comic book world I am sure most people have to agree that he is somewhere up there. I mean look at all the crap he has done.

Comic book wise, he might be the craziest. But unless he starts eating people I don't think he'll top Dr. Lector's insanity in every other form of media.

The reason why the Joker is used to so much is that writer's can do alot with him and he is a fun person to write and  according to alot of actors fun to play.

Your reasons are bogus though. You didn't even list specific events or anything.....

#30 Posted by Iridium (131 posts) - - Show Bio

While I certainly think he is an iconic villain, I tend to think is "focus" is not grand enough ... chaos / mayhem / a good laugh / kill Batman ... etc.  What can I say, I have a warm stop for the "conquer all that exists" type villain.

Doctor Doom
Thanos
Darkseid

... to name a few.

If I had to pin an 'all time favorite' though ... I vote Doom.

#31 Posted by enterthejoker (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@craigbo180: that's my piont! and too all u pepole who dont aggree then he's the best BATMAN villain... aggreed?
#32 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@theindomitableman said:
No. Joker is annoying like Deadpool but without fighting skills.

*Slaps theindomitableman*

And yes, Joker IS the best villain ever made.
#33 Posted by Samimista (20647 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say the best villain ever but he's on the top ten list.

#34 Posted by Final Arrow (24383 posts) - - Show Bio

I would not say the best, but he is up there. I also think it depends on what you consider a villain and what your own mind set is.

#35 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

More like best Batman villain

#36 Edited by Cervantes (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to beat Darkseid from JLU the animated series swatting Batman and Superman around after Lex resurrected him and Darkseid thanked him by blowing his ship to atoms: 

"It seems I have you to thank for my resurrection. Though your world will die slowly, I grant you a quick death..." 

Joker is top notch, for sure, but how will he respond to Batman, Inc.? Here's a few thoughts on a team he's forming...

JOKER, INC. 

#37 Posted by Cervantes (634 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow

True, and Darkseid in JLU animated series was AWE-SOME. But we'll see how Joker deals with Batman, Inc. I have my own theory... 

JOKER, INC.
#38 Posted by enterthejoker (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renton said:
He's my favourite, thats all I care about
exactly my point!
#39 Edited by enterthejoker (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@craigbo180: agree 100%!
#40 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, I like Maxwell Lord the most.

#41 Posted by DedmanWalkin (2598 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the best villain. He has accomplished more with less resources than any other villain alive.

#42 Posted by thanobomb1124 (2012 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol@DH69

#43 Posted by The Stegman (23748 posts) - - Show Bio

well he's not the "best" since most of his plans fail..then again that can be said about most villains...however i will say he's the most interesting I.M.O

#44 Posted by DedmanWalkin (2598 posts) - - Show Bio

His plans don't fail as they are not made to win. His objective is to get Batman to kill him. Success for him means that he is dead and no more stories about him can be told.

In Kingdom Come, the Joker's death precipitates the fall of the world.

#45 Posted by Billy Batson (57905 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor>the Joker

BB

#46 Posted by enterthejoker (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@craigbo180 said:

@AtPhantom said:
" @craigbo180 said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:

I don't know about that, Joker has genius level intelligence so a good writer can write what I is considered a "credible" story in a comic book, not sure I have read to many of those to be honest. Joker is primarly a Batman villain and that is where he is at his brilliant best. Dude's who are super powerful are great and they have their place, but whats even scarier is a normal ass dude who is crazy enough to take on earths greatest heroes.

100% think your right. if anyone here has read last laugh, then that proves it isn't as easy as it looks to take down one ordinary guy, even for superman and umpteen other heroes put together! that story was "credible" ,and is among other credible storys involving joker and super powerd heroes (eg. Empreror Joker)

#47 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

the joker is a great villain because he has nothing to loose. he has no friends, no family, no emotions, no honor, dignity, and so on.

he is a great villain because all he has is batman, and he puts every minute of everyday planning on how to make him hurt

he isn't the best, but he is pretty damn crazy

#48 Posted by DedmanWalkin (2598 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker isn't crazy.

#49 Edited by Batmanfan27 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

-Joker

-Doctor Doom

-Thanos

-Darkseid

-Magneto

There is no order

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.