Is The Joker Gay??? (Serious Question)

• 72 results
#1 Posted by HomasTardy (127 posts) - - Show Bio

We've all seen how Harley Quinn shows her affection for him almost constantly. However, why does he never act on this?

This is complicated as we saw in "The Killing Joke" how he had a girlfriend who's death may have helped him turn from simply 'The Comedian' to 'The Joker'.

The Joker's facade naturally makes his sexuality ambiguous however, this makes it even more interesting. Thanks for reading, let's see some good posts!

#2 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

no, he's asexual

#3 Posted by JokerisnotGay (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

no, he's asexual

you are asexual?!?

#4 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

He's batsexual

#5 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

@JokerisnotGay: I'm not joker, am I

#6 Posted by JokerisnotGay (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

@JokerisnotGay: I'm not joker, am I

Hahaa, that is really funny...asexual man

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24950 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think sex actually means anything to him making this question irrelevant

#8 Posted by HomasTardy (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I don't think sex actually means anything to him making this question irrelevant

So assuming he is asexual, why do you think it was specifically his sexuality that was lost?

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

To the Joker, everything is laughable. The idea of two people romantically involved would be deconstructed in his mind to the point where it simply meant nothing.  

His sexual orientation means nothing to him. It's a bad joke. 

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24950 posts) - - Show Bio

@HomasTardy: I don't think he has any true sexuality so I'd have to say it was all lost specifically

#11 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

It's quite clear that he's so completely insane that sex and romance means literally nothing to him.

#12 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by The_Storm_Goddess (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is not gay or straight...he just doesn't care.

#14 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think that joker is gay...He's just only misunderstood.

#15 Posted by SUNMAN (7256 posts) - - Show Bio

Think he's either bisexual or pansexual. I know there is a quote from some writer saying he is like a homophobic nightmare or something. So I could certainly see how the character could pull on some people's insecurities

#16 Edited by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: what is pansexual?

oh and by the way if you're asexual you are not necesarry aromantic but I think that Joker is also aromantic.

#17 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@HomasTardy: Maybe Joker is asexual, and maybe all this stuff people are saying is a bunch of bunk. Generally, in Joker's 70+ years of existence, he's been portrayed as heterosexual. One could interpret Synder's portrayal of him as homosexual. Personally I see it as an obsessive infatuation devoid of sexual overtones.

So, I'd say say even today, when the Joker wants to get his wick wet, he goes with chicks.

#18 Posted by Joygirl (20063 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's been making him really gay but in general, I believe him to be generally hetero with a crush-like obsession with Bruce.

#19 Posted by tupiaz (2229 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

@SUNMAN: what is pansexual?

oh and by the way if you're asexual you are not necesarry aromantic but I think that Joker is also aromantic.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pansexual

Why has nobody posted this already? http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/136/

#20 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: I was afraid that something weird was going to pop up.

#21 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

To the Joker, everything is laughable. The idea of two people romantically involved would be deconstructed in his mind to the point where it simply meant nothing. His sexual orientation means nothing to him. It's a bad joke.

This. This. Thissy-this this.

I feel like with his meta-comic awareness he knows that acting that way will make someone, somewhere, uncomfortable. And it really clashes with the stoic masculinity of Batman.

@SUNMAN: That was Grant Morrison. He also said Batman would be healthier if he were gay.

#22 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

He is obsessed with Batman he doesn't even think about sex. So who knows and besides not wanting to sex Harley doesn't make him gay maybe she annoys him.

#23 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

If Joker's ever sexual, it's for one of two reasons.

A: To make someone uncomfortable ("Arkham Aslyum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth", "Death of the Family").

B: To control someone (Harley).

But it's never genuine.

#24 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

He just likes playing with people's feelings, whether they are a man or woman

#25 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6432 posts) - - Show Bio

Has he ever been shown being sexually attracted to anyone, or shown in sexual act? If not, he may be asexual.

Has he ever been shown being romantically attracted to anyone? Like, not joking or making flirty comments, like, being properly infatuated with someone? If not, he may be aromantic.

I don't think I've really seen him show much attraction towards Harley, but most of you have probably read more comics than I have.

Some people just aren't into all that stuff. It'd be kinda cool if he was a confirmed asexual or aromantic(It's referred to as Double-A when you're both), as I don't know of any in comics. Are there any already?

#26 Posted by fran24ksawtgpb (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I also think he's asexual but y'know it kinda depends on the writer, it's also been said that Harley kind of woke up his sleeping libido and that's why he hates her, cause he ain't got time for that kinda thing. I don't think he's gay either, and I agree with this obsessive crush he's got with the Dark Knight but I don't see it as being sexual. I'd say that when he's extremely bored and doesn't have anything else to do he goes to Harley. I think he just doesn't give a fuck about that kinda thing.

#27 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Batsexual.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33970 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought the Dark Knight Returns kind of implyed he was gay

#29 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on evidence, my guess is Joker is a bisexual polygamist or he is very flexible and can probably have relations with either humans and/or other species.

#30 Posted by NiKva (94 posts) - - Show Bio

He's flamboyant, but he isn't involved in any gay relations.

#31 Posted by Ms. Omega (4508 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

Lmao

#32 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1112 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his sexuality has been impled but never talked about head on. I think he blows kisses and slaps Bats on the butt to get under his skin. But he clearly favors women, and in a large part Harley, I just dont think he favors the mundane task of being in a relationship with her.

There are a few books that suggests he likes women...but he has violent and destructive fetishes with them.

• 'Killing Joke' he sexually assualted and took pictures of a nude and bloody Batgirl, but yet he beat Robin with a crowbar and left him to die with a bomb in a warehouse in 'A Death In The Family'.
  • 'Dark Knight Returns' after waking from his coma, it's implied he raped Selina Kyle while having her dressed as Wonder Woman
  • 'All Star Batman' he is seen having a encounter with a young woman to suddenly turn around and beat her to death
  • The Current "Death of the Family" storyline he again targets Batgirl, but this time he seeks to Marry her, but he chooses to play mind games with the remaining members of the Bat Family

I fully believe Joker is straight, I just feel bad for the women he has been with

#33 Posted by The_Storm_Goddess (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's slept with Harley more than a few times, but it's just cause he was probably bored. I think he really doesn't have a sexual preference and I don't think he cares for sex much at all. He uses Harley an wants to keep her around, but it's apparent he plays mind games with her. She's totally in love with him, but she could walk off a bridge and find another tomorrow. I think it's like one person said...he's all about control. Sex is about control for him.

#34 Posted by SUNMAN (7256 posts) - - Show Bio

He's gay for Batman

@The_Storm_Goddess said:

I think he's slept with Harley more than a few times, but it's just cause he was probably bored. I think he really doesn't have a sexual preference and I don't think he cares for sex much at all. He uses Harley an wants to keep her around, but it's apparent he plays mind games with her. She's totally in love with him, but she could walk off a bridge and find another tomorrow. I think it's like one person said...he's all about control. Sex is about control for him.

pretty sure there is no proof he's ever slept with Harley

#35 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the joker can be whatever. i think to the joker sex is means nothing to him.

#36 Posted by Hesajoke (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there is only the implications of homosexuality in Synder's work because it plays upon the core demographic fear of their own sexuality. But then so what if Joker is gay for Bats? Maybe he can only get off whilst a lady is in cape and cowl? Does that really change the overall character?

#37 Posted by The_Storm_Goddess (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: Has he ever slept with Batman? It's more implied. He's insane. I don't think he cares about sex at all. I don't think he's straight or gay. I think he really just doesn't give a flying whoo ha. It's power and control he seeks. He's in a cat and mouse game with Batman and he still isn't entirely sure if he is the cat or mouse.

#38 Posted by SUNMAN (7256 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Storm_Goddess: I was just joking. He's never slept with Batman in canon. I mean we can psycho-analyze this fictitious character all we want and depending on the version I'd have different things to say. But bottom line for me if we want to be real is DC will probably never clearly define Joker's sexuality for the foreseeable future or show him sleeping with anyone. He may have kissed Harley once or twice but to me it never meant anything it was just Joker being random.

To my knowledge its never been implied they've actually slept together. Joker's had Harley wrapped around his fingers since they first met he doesn't have to do much. I'm not saying your necessarily wrong, but if you have a specific scan or can tell me a specific instance I am curious to read about it.

You will find people who say Joker is written as gay, but it was more out of an agenda to illicit fear or uneasiness from the reader. I'm sure Morriosn would talk at great lengths about it if he wasn't under contract from DC not to talk about certain Bat characters sexualities.

I can't find the quote but I'm pretty sure it was Morrison that said something to the effect that Joker was a gay or homophobic nightmare.

#39 Edited by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker isn't gay. Maybe bisexual (strong arguments can be made for that one), but not gay. Though it's never shown explicitly, Harley and the Joker have sex regularly (as can be inferred from several references across a number of titles, most recently in the Suicide Squad issue in which she slaps the Joker's face on Deadshot). Now, might he be gay for Bats? Very, very possibly.

EDIT: Also, though some may not consider it canon, there is an Easter Egg in Arkham City (maybe Asylum? I can't remember now) that settles it: a pregnancy test lying on the ground in Harley Quinn and Joker's hideout. The result is shown to be positive.

#40 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

He's Batsexual.

#41 Posted by DaemonTheDemon (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm..asexual.

#42 Posted by The Stegman (25077 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure he's made a reference to getting it own with Harley before. 

However, if Batman came on to him, I think he'd take the offer.

#43 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

He is very gay for Batman.

#44 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

He's Batsexual.

That answer is actully relevant after all the Joker did "touch" Batman in Arkham Asylum: A serious house on a serious earth, he has also referenced how he would want to experiment with Batman's dead carcass, and then there is the fixation that he has with Batman.

#45 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

To the Joker, everything is laughable. The idea of two people romantically involved would be deconstructed in his mind to the point where it simply meant nothing. His sexual orientation means nothing to him. It's a bad joke.

This

#46 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldnt dismiss the idea if he was :D

@Solarflare32 said:

He's batsexual

good one :D

#47 Posted by Jessica_Majestic (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

That's just messed up :p

#48 Posted by xxSadisticSmilexx (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

He's gay for Batman

@The_Storm_Goddess said:

pretty sure there is no proof he's ever slept with Harley

Actually in the No Man's Land Story arc. The first issue where DC decides to make Harley a comic character after her run on the animated series. She is telling about her first night with him and it's... pretty heavily implied they did a bit of a tango in the bed,.

#49 Posted by Sarleeko (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised no one mentioned Batman Beyond. Isn't it sort of implied that the twin clown girls are Harley and the Joker's granddaughters?

#50 Posted by xxSadisticSmilexx (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I never seen it that way. If you think about it, the twins are around Terry's age. Given the fact the Joker, well what happened to him any way, went down when Tim was still a kid would make it a bit hard for Harley and him to have children.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.