Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4240 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

How do you feel about the Joker having tattoos?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flameboy298
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm fine with them all except the "damaged" tattoo on his forehead.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dr_Harlequin

I think of the Joker to be a classy guy. I don't think tattoos add anything to that class, in fact I think it takes some of it away. No offense to people who have tattoos, but I'd rather him not have it.

I mean look at him. Because he has to have those tattoos, we get a Joker with his shirt unbuttoned to show off them off; which is once again another thing to make me view him with degraded 'class'. And we also have a 'damaged tattoo' on the forehead, which of course speaks for itself. :)

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think of the Joker to be a classy guy. I don't think tattoos add anything to that class, in fact I think it takes it away. No offense to people who have tattoos, but I'd rather him not have it.

I mean look at him. Because he has to have those tattoos, we get a Joker with his shirt unbuttoned to show off them off; which is once again another thing to make me view him with degraded 'class'. And we also have a 'damaged tattoo' on the forehead, which of course speaks for itself. :)

Why do you think of him a classy guy?

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think the tattoos look dumb.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: The way he is usually depicted to dress in a nice purple suit is a start. There was also Heath's fugly facework, but he was still dressed nicely.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_harlequin: I'd say he's dressed as good as Heath was dressed so far from what we have seen in the set photos.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Joker's a creature of passion and change, he doesn't have a stable mindset and his motives might change at a moment's notice. These are the the constants of his character, the foundations from which other interpretations are built from. So tell me, from those foundations, how do you get a character who would sit in a tattoo parlor, or wherever he got them, and have them applied? Probably going back multiple times to have them finished? That'd require constancy, something the Joker fundamentally is not. And why does he even need them? He has neon green hair, bleached skin, and dresses fabulously, for goodness' sakes! Why does he need 'Damaged' tattooed across his forehead to show off he's a crazy son of a b****?! And it's not like he's some small time crook nobody knows, so they need to quickly get across the kind of character he is: He's the Joker. Everyone knows who he is to some degree. So what is the point of the tattoos? They go against his character to begin with, and there doesn't even seem to be a good reason for them. So what's the deal?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

The Joker having tattoos is probably what I'm least concerned about regarding either him or Harley

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idude said:

I'm fine with them all except the "damaged" tattoo on his forehead.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: The way he is usually depicted to dress in a nice purple suit is a start. There was also Heath's fugly facework, but he was still dressed nicely.

You think that suit is nice? I've always found Joker to be tacky in most of his iconic attire. Though, I figure it's meant to be "funny." It's still tacky though.

@jonsmith said:

The Joker's a creature of passion and change, he doesn't have a stable mindset and his motives might change at a moment's notice. These are the the constants of his character, the foundations from which other interpretations are built from. So tell me, from those foundations, how do you get a character who would sit in a tattoo parlor, or wherever he got them, and have them applied? Probably going back multiple times to have them finished? That'd require constancy, something the Joker fundamentally is not. And why does he even need them? He has neon green hair, bleached skin, and dresses fabulously, for goodness' sakes! Why does he need 'Damaged' tattooed across his forehead to show off he's a crazy son of a b****?! And it's not like he's some small time crook nobody knows, so they need to quickly get across the kind of character he is: He's the Joker. Everyone knows who he is to some degree. So what is the point of the tattoos? They go against his character to begin with, and there doesn't even seem to be a good reason for them. So what's the deal?

Maybe he likes to feel the pain of getting tattoos? He's not all that inconsistent. You can normally count on him to have some sort of love-hate relationship with Batman, at the very least, and I feel once you introduce even a little consistency, it becomes like Jell-O. There's always room for more.

With that said, consider this: Joker gets tattoos as a way to help him pass time until his next plan. Of course, as you say, he's not going to go to a Tattoo parlor, but I can easily imagine him sitting in a chair while Harley inks him up and he seeths over his latest lost tooth thanks to Batman.

As for damaged? Consider that a final "screw you" from Ms. Quinn on the way out, because that's what she views him as. Damaged goods.

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Maybe he likes to feel the pain of getting tattoos? He's not all that inconsistent. You can normally count on him to have some sort of love-hate relationship with Batman, at the very least, and I feel once you introduce even a little consistency, it becomes like Jell-O. There's always room for more.

With that said, consider this: Joker gets tattoos as a way to help him pass time until his next plan. Of course, as you say, he's not going to go to a Tattoo parlor, but I can easily imagine him sitting in a chair while Harley inks him up and he seeths over his latest lost tooth thanks to Batman.

As for damaged? Consider that a final "screw you" from Ms. Quinn on the way out, because that's what she views him as. Damaged goods.

I don't think Joker would let Harley tattoo anything on him that HE does not want. The damaged on his forehead is so childish and not Joker-like that it hurts. Joker is an egoist, he thinks he looks great the way he is.

Not to mention it will distract me when there will be a close up of his face. This is simply a terrible choice by the designers.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivke: I could imagine Harley KOing Joker or possibly drugging him before giving him the tattoo. It's not about what he wants in that case.

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Well, if Harley did that I don't think she could walk for a long time after the beating she gets from Joker...

Besides yes, they released a pic where Joker was crouching on a chair and Harley was inking him. Like he would want all those stupid tattoos.ahh

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivke: Actually, I imagine that being done right before Harley walks out the door for the last time. Aside from that, one-on-one I doubt Joker could beat Harley, and he'd probably think it was funny the next day.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Awful. How do those tattoo's reflect on his character at all? It's distracting, it's superficial, it is a bad design choice by the designers.

If it has a meaningful backstory, I might forgive it, but I'm not yet sold.

- TAS

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flameboy298

@vivke: The image you're talking about is the most obvious case of photoshop.

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: As I see it, Harley does not strike back most of the time when Joker hurts her. There are a very few times (some from kid's comics, one from No Man's land when she was enhanced by Ivy, one from a seperate comic, and some from the New 52) where she kicks Joker's ass. Still in No Man's land Joker chokes her later and she does not fight back, he kicks her in the face etc. The reason he wins is also because Harley is submissive.

In New 52 she really fought back. That is true. But she still ended up in a dungeon. And also Joker's threshold of pain is terribly different than normal people's.

But I digress. Sorry.

Yeah, he might or might not find it funny next day.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivke: Perhaps, but I figure DC will do their best to avoid the Feminazies and SJWs. They'll likely avoid a Harley that lets Joker beat her.

Aside from that, Harley is difficult to catch too with her gymnastic ability. I feel at least she can avoid Joker.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@vivke: Perhaps, but I figure DC will do their best to avoid the Feminazies and SJWs. They'll likely avoid a Harley that lets Joker beat her.

Aside from that, Harley is difficult to catch too with her gymnastic ability. I feel at least she can avoid Joker.

I agree with that they will try to satisfy everyone especially people who scream abuse (honestly I do not like their relationship either). But unfortunately they should show first the nature of their relationship so that Harley can move on. I'm sure this is why they do this scene where Joker hits her so hard she fells to the ground.

On the earlier photos of Harley, already in the Suicide Squad, we can see that she is throwing away her 'PUDDIN' choker so I'm guessing she will move on but for that Joker has to do something pretty bad first. And they will have to show it.

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: I know it was a mash up and it looked terrible but I honestly read somewhere that it was official. Lol. Okay. Nevermind.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ScouterV

@vivke said:
    @scouterv said:

I agree with that they will try to satisfy everyone especially people who scream abuse (honestly I do not like their relationship either). But unfortunately they should show first the nature of their relationship so that Harley can move on. I'm sure this is why they do this scene where Joker hits her so hard she fells to the ground.

On the earlier photos of Harley, already in the Suicide Squad, we can see that she is throwing away her 'PUDDIN' choker so I'm guessing she will move on but for that Joker has to do something pretty bad first. And they will have to show it.

I think, at best, the violence will be heavily implied with maybe some scars, some silhouetted action, etc. I think if he does anything in the moment, Harley will likely retaliate then and there. I don't know, but I just feel there will be some "female empowerment" undertones to Harley's character.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dr_Harlequin

@vivke: I agree that they need to show why Harley would leave him. This is what Assault on Arkham failed to do. The fact they may use that as it's source material bothers me a lot because I thought it was awful.

And they have Margot Robbie on a decade-long contract as Harley, I find it strange though that she might end up leaving him in the beginning. That would probably mean she will go a long time without him in the DCCU.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

@mercy_ said:

The Joker having tattoos is probably what I'm least concerned about regarding either him or Harley

qft. someone gets it.

Vivke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivke: I agree that they need to show why Harley would leave him. This is what Assault on Arkham failed to do. The fact they may use that as it's source material bothers me a lot because I thought it was awful.

And they have Margot Robbie on a decade-long contract as Harley, I find it strange though that she might end up leaving him in the beginning. That would probably mean she will go a long time without him in the DCCU.

I personally liked Assault on Arkham though Joker was terribly out of character. Like the moment he was talking about Harley's skin like that. Not Jokerish at all. You can't distract Joker with "trivial" things like how good Harley looks... I hope they do not use that as a source. Though now in Suicide Squad he looks like a pimp. So who knows? lol.

Yes, it's a bit early for Harley to leave Joker right at the beginning but since it is a Suicide Squad movie and sequel I don't think it would be good if they were "together". Also in my opinion not many people would like to see their true, realistic relationship through several episodes. Because the viler Joker gets, the more terribly he treats Harley. Since they mostly take the New 52 as a source I can imagine that Joker won't be tame and obviously they won't tone him down for Harley's sake.

Not to mention Jared Leto is usually a support actor and does not play in sequels. So they just hopefully and conviniently end the relaionship of Harley and Joker here in the beginning.

jcass10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're explained well, I have no problem with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ridiculous, it was done to make the Joker "edgy", you know, stuff that teens eat up these days.

Avatar image for blackwidowquinn
    BlackWidowquinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlackWidowquinn

You do have to remember 'Suicide Squad''s Crew isn't the first to do Joker with tattoos...

No Caption Provided

Frank Miller was... the reason for the tattoos may be deeper than we think, or they may be trying to copy Miller and make him edgier.... I have no issues with His or Harley's. I like a little change now and then... it's good sometimes. His tattoos are the last thing I care about regarding the movie...

Heck maybe they aren't looking at them as something Joker just sat down and got at a Tattoo Parlor... maybe they're looking at them more in the form of scars.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.