Heath Ledger's Joker in comparison to...

Posted by AliceHatter (115 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious to know what the rest of the comic vine community thought of Heath Ledgers Joker? I know it was last year or thereabouts, but it only really just crossed my mind. How does everyone think he shaped up? Personally, I quite liked it when I first watched it, but after reading The Killing Joke and other Joker themed comics, I preferred the skinny joker in the dirty purple suit.

No doubt, Heaths was good, but it didnt really respect the source material... 

For example, the Joker in the new Arkham Asylum trailer looks bloody brilliant. So purely insane and evil at the same time. That rendition of the Joker feels more like the one we saw try to make Commissioner Gordon go insane. He looks like he really did shoot Oracle (Batgirl at the time)

For that matter, was he better than Jack Nicholsons Joker ???

Share your thoughts
#1 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

I can sympathize with your disenchantment. I too was okey with Ledger at first, but in the 4 months that followed, I reread every comic  had with the Joker in it & boughts some more, & the more I read, the less impressed I was with the movie.

I hated Nicholson's Joker, & I hate Ledger's Joker. Since I have to put up with Ledger's angsty fans, I probably hate his Joker more than I should, but things as simple as not trying to sounding like Mark Hamill, lip-smacking constantly, & looking like Beetlejuice outshadow his performance. I know, I should be blaming the director, the makeup artists, & the costume designer & yes, I'm shallow like that. I demand continuity & character perfection, but instead I have to deal with cosplaying Marty-Stews in acted-out fanfics. & while that other guy made an awesome Two-Face, Nolan fucking-up the origin story & adding Racheal into the mix wasn't exactly forgivable either. In the end, I was more impressed with "Batman Confidential: Lovers & Madmen" which came out afterwards, & it had no actors at all.

My opinion on Nicholson's Joker also came after the big reread. While he looked like the Joker very much, he was totaly out-of-character, unless you look back to the Silver Age. The things I remember the most were that he thought of Batman as little more than an annoying fly in his ointment & he was interested in a woman. In the comics, he commits mayhem as a means to invite Batman to a brawl after f**king with his head & raising his blood-pressure though the roof, & he's just not flirtatious, I've seen him sucker-punch several women after telling them they're pretty, like saying a painting is lovely & then spray painting over it. He also seemed too reliant on his henchmen, like he actualy expected them to accomplish something. In the comics, the henchmen are like little exposable playing pieces or resurved jokes to be tolds at a latter time.

The only Joker I really like is Mark Hamill. Grew up with him for 10 years & now he's back, even if his voice has aged & even if it's only for a little while.

#2 Posted by 1eyejoker (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny you mention The Killing Joke, cause I thought Ledger's Joker pefectly represented that version. A man not motivated by anything but just looking to fuck shit up. And just like in Moore's story he attempts to drive one of Gotham's upstanding citizens insane like him, proving his one bad day theory. Only instead of Gordon he does it to Dent and succeeds.

Now if you're purely hung up on looks, "skinny joker in the dirty purple suit," then I could understand why you didn't like Ledger.

And yes, he was better than Jack's Joker.

#3 Posted by FRESH416 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be the best joker

#4 Posted by CrossKill (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently this guy would be the best joker ^

#5 Posted by JAMES MICAHEL PYM (49 posts) - - Show Bio

best joker, was ledger, could've stuck more to the comics i admit that but still he won an oscar.

#6 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither Joker scared me but Ledger was awesome.

#7 Posted by Shiinma (4 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion L's Joker fitted Nolan's interpretation of Batman rather well. His take on Batman makes me think, that Nolan wanted to do a sort of a what if movie - how would the superheroes act in real-life (or as close to it as you can get). And Joker was...fleshy. Quite real even - just a crazy guy in facepaint a terrorist, a danger that is quite real IRL. I like every interpretation of Joker - be it Ledger, Nicholson or a comic version - all fit their worlds quite good in my opinion.

#8 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shiinma said:
"In my opinion L's Joker fitted Nolan's interpretation of Batman rather well. His take on Batman makes me think, that Nolan wanted to do a sort of a what if movie - how would the superheroes act in real-life (or as close to it as you can get). And Joker was...fleshy. Quite real even - just a crazy guy in facepaint a terrorist, a danger that is quite real IRL. I like every interpretation of Joker - be it Ledger, Nicholson or a comic version - all fit their worlds quite good in my opinion."

agreed
#9 Edited by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Hamill,in my opinion was definetely the best Joker.

#10 Posted by The Dave (142 posts) - - Show Bio

"In my opinion L's Joker fitted Nolan's interpretation of Batman rather well. His take on Batman makes me think, that Nolan wanted to do a sort of a what if movie - how would the superheroes act in real-life (or as close to it as you can get). And Joker was...fleshy. Quite real even - just a crazy guy in facepaint a terrorist, a danger that is quite real IRL. I like every interpretation of Joker - be it Ledger, Nicholson or a comic version - all fit their worlds quite good in my opinion."
 QFT

ps. Comparing him to Mark Hamil is unfair imo since most of us grew up listening to him as the joker. Not to mention its a slightly different form of media. (Easy to look the part when its a drawing)

#11 Posted by Nort (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Mark Hamil could pull off a live action older version of Joker. So if they were to do a adapation of The Dark Knight Returns Mark Hamil would be awesome playing him.

#12 Posted by avengpymhawk (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey good Ol' Jack Nickolson represented the best Joker ever.
#13 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shiinma said:
#14 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

ledger really suprised me when he played the role because i was expecting a part 2 version of  jack nicholson but man right when you see joker do the pencil trick every one in the theatre yelled holy ****. the one things heath creeped me out with was when he kidnapped that reporter and roars look at me! heath ledger r.i.p

#15 Posted by Serpent (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit, I like Ledger's joker.

He's not the true Joker to me, but I like him for what he is: a reimagining of the Joker.  Not the real joker, just an alternate take on him.

He was what was right about that movie.  Batman in the movie failed to live up to my expectations.  He was a grunting incomprihencible character.  The Joker though.. he was a feast for the imagination.

#16 Posted by Maverick7 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the Arkham Asylum Joker. Mark Hamill is the best Joker voice.
#17 Posted by Phished0ne (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally i strongly disliked Ledger's Joker, although it seems damn near blasphemous to say this out loud around anyone.    One reason, not enough corny jokes, the joker is supposed to be insane and cracking the worst jokes you've ever heard, he is a failed comedian after all. That version of Joker fit in well with Nolan's vision, but it urks me as a fan of old-school joker.

Jack Nicholsons's Joker missed something also.  And Hamil's was pure genius as far as i am concerned.   

But the real king of Joker was Cesar Romero the concept of the Joker fits so well with the campy style of 60s Batman,  and Cesar had it nailed.

#18 Posted by Daredevilwithoutfear (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Jack's Joker but i agree with many it was missing something. I was never a fan of Ledgers Joker as well. I mean do not get me wrong he was good but not the best Joker ever he only gets the praise he gets due to his death and that is the honest truth and I agree with Phised0ne it is damn near blasphemous to say it loud around anyone.

To me the best Joker even though he was just the voice was Mark Hamill all the way..

This is how I would to this

Live Action Movie Joker I give it to Jack Nicholson
For the voice of the Joker Hamill no Doubt goes to him

Like I said Heath's acting was awesome but the version of The Dark Knight Joker in Nolan's vision is missing alot with the character.

#19 Posted by bigalow (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Ledgers joker was the best so far,and had street cred which the charecter needs,his joker was based on the jokers first apperiance in batman #1 in 1940(back when the joker was scary),back than the joker was a powerful guy who could go toe to toe with batman in a fist fight and sometimes even win,not like todays weak,too skinny,crappy and unscary depictions of him that we've had for a long time.They need to show him like he was in TDK and origional 1940's version,Frank miller does this and it works,also Alex Ross had some good notes on the charecter in one of his art books called mythology.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.