Heath Ledger Wins Golden Globe

Posted by G-Man (34320 posts) - - Show Bio
We all feel that it was Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker in "The Dark Knight" that really made the movie shine.  It seems we weren't the only ones that felt that way. 

In tonight's Golden Globe ceremony, Heath Ledger won an award for Best Supporting Actor.  The others in this category were Tom Cruise - "Tropic Thunder," Robert Downey Jr. - "Tropic Thunder," Ralph Fiennes - "The Duchess" and Philip Seymour Hoffman - "Doubt."  Often it seems that when an actor is nominated after their death, they seem to get the award in their honor.  Whether or not that was the case, he did do a superb job.  He gave us a performance of the Joker that we hadn't seen before.  It's one that we won't easily forget.

Congrats Mr. Ledger.  You did good.
Staff
#1 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
Heath Ledger definately deserved to win the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor... but in all truth I was scared that they may have given the award to someone else... seeing as how so many critics harshly critiqued The Dark Knight... but this is really a great thing here... no one had a better performance this year in an acting role than Heath Ledger as The Joker...
#2 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
Heath Ledger definately deserved to win the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor... but in all truth I was scared that they may have given the award to someone else... seeing as how so many critics harshly critiqued The Dark Knight... but this is really a great thing here... no one had a better performance this year in an acting role than Heath Ledger as The Joker...
#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of all the nominees, alive or dead he was the best. Congrats to my home boy, he was from my home town and a great actor, still miss him dearly

I think this is one of only 4 post humous awards ever give at the globes.. may research that..

#4 Posted by Nitric (948 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember hearing a bunch of hype about this a long time ago.. How he should win all kinds of awards.. and before I saw the movie, I thought that was a horrible Idea, that is, to just give awards away because he died. But now that I've seen the movie a few times, I completely agree with the decision tonight. He was great, and he deserves it.

#5 Posted by Acheron (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't disagree with that. His performance was phenomenal.

#6 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats awesome, he sure as hell deserved it. His portrayal scared me it was that good, RIP Heath

#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I always loved his acting, but if none of his other good movies got him awards, at least this one did, 'cause he totally deserves it

#8 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
Rest In Peace Heath Ledger... you finally got the respect you deserved today with your Joker performance in The Dark Knight...
#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"I always loved his acting, but if none of his other good movies got him awards, at least this one did, 'cause he totally deserves it"
didn't he get one for brokeback?
#10 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"aztek the lost said:
"I always loved his acting, but if none of his other good movies got him awards, at least this one did, 'cause he totally deserves it"
didn't he get one for brokeback?"
I think so, but I've never seen that one so I don't know if its any good :P

I mean all the movies of his I watched as a kid that I loved, he never got recognized for any of those (10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, etc.)

I haven't really seen his newer films yet apart from The Dark Knight
#11 Posted by The Finder* (201 posts) - - Show Bio

is this a chat thread? :-P

#12 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
The Finder* said:
"is this a chat thread? :-P"
its a news blog
#13 Posted by Lindsay Lohan (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Most overrated performance since Halle Berry in Monster's Ball.

#14 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio
Lindsay Lohan said:
"Most overrated performance since Halle Berry in Monster's Ball."
Please, don't insult us.  If you absolutely must troll at least be good at it.
#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio
NiteFly said:
"Lindsay Lohan said:
"Most overrated performance since Halle Berry in Monster's Ball."
Please, don't insult us.  If you absolutely must troll at least be good at it."
It's not possible to be good at trolling.
#16 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I will have to seriously disagree with that one.  Trolling can be an art-form.  Your average troll is to trolling as script-kiddies are to programming.

#17 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
NiteFly said:
"Oh I will have to seriously disagree with that one.  Trolling can be an art-form.  Your average troll is to trolling as script-kiddies are to programming."
Agreed.

Looking at the Trolling Greats. http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/poo_poo_list/
#18 Posted by ThE FL@$H (116 posts) - - Show Bio

sigh... tsk tsk tsk... heath rules... period...

#19 Posted by Matches (224 posts) - - Show Bio
.Mistress Redhead. said:
"

Out of all the nominees, alive or dead he was the best. Congrats to my home boy, he was from my home town and a great actor, still miss him dearly

I think this is one of only 4 post humous awards ever give at the globes.. may research that..

"
YOU'RE FROM PERTH!!!?? I WAS BORN IN PERTH! Subiaco baby!, Eagles man through and through lol!
aaannnyyywwwaaayyy

Great performance, no surprise at all, he has a Oscar around the corner aswell I would assume, just a damn shame he won't be able to get up and receive it himself. I still think Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder was great cuz I didn't actually know it was him till the credits LOL. dont shun me for that ive got it left rite and centre already.
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"NiteFly said:
"Oh I will have to seriously disagree with that one.  Trolling can be an art-form.  Your average troll is to trolling as script-kiddies are to programming."
Agreed.

Looking at the Trolling Greats. http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/poo_poo_list/"
Nobody on this list is good at trolling.That isn't what the list is about.
#21 Posted by dr.x (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Next  is  the  Oscars

#22 Posted by ArtJoker (521 posts) - - Show Bio

All Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

He was awesome. Fully deserved the award. Congratulations and may you rest in peace.

#24 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy he wasn't overlooked for being in a comic movie

is that the first a golden globe won by someone who was competing for a comic movie?

#25 Posted by Damnation Lee (763 posts) - - Show Bio

Good job Heath. May you rest in peace.

#26 Posted by Aurora (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Heath Ledger was amazing...everyone doubted how he would do before the Dark Knight came out, and then it did, and he blew us away. His performace was an inspiration for the rest of us who want to become actors; he deserves this award, no doubt about it.

#27 Posted by HalJordan1986x (4760 posts) - - Show Bio

He deserved it

#28 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Great empty gesture...giving an object to a deceased person who can't enjoy it. That's just sad, like a poor man's paintings selling at high rates after he dies.

#29 Posted by BriClops (40 posts) - - Show Bio

he did an amazing job, it would have been a hard award to give to him though, i mean the guys from tropic thunder were outa this world great, i mean geez Robert downey was soo good in that movie and Tom was never seen like that, they gave him like gorilla arms, but alas the better man won. But it will always be a three way tie for me lol

#30 Posted by Echoes (154 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"Heath Ledger definately deserved to win the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor... but in all truth I was scared that they may have given the award to someone else... seeing as how so many critics harshly critiqued The Dark Knight... but this is really a great thing here... no one had a better performance this year in an acting role than Heath Ledger as The Joker...
"
*calls BS on underlined*
#31 Posted by Lady L (311 posts) - - Show Bio

he did deserve it cuz he actually made me believe that he was mad for some time

#32 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
Echoes said:
"King Saturn said:
"Heath Ledger definately deserved to win the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor... but in all truth I was scared that they may have given the award to someone else... seeing as how so many critics harshly critiqued The Dark Knight... but this is really a great thing here... no one had a better performance this year in an acting role than Heath Ledger as The Joker...
"
*calls BS on underlined*"
Brother that aint BS.  I just read a review about a critic who said that The Dark Knight was overrated and its Plot was all over the place and it was an average film at best...

No Lie Man
#33 Posted by Xeron (293 posts) - - Show Bio

Those other 4 didn't really have THAT memorable performances.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.