Favorite Joker Origin story?

#1 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

What is your favorite Joker Origin mine is the one where he was the mobs best hit man who was introduced to chemicals and went crazy. It is the coolest to me and explains his genius level knowledge of engineering and chemistry. As well as his fighting skills and his pin point marksman ship

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the more sympathetic one from "The Killing Joke".

#3 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his background to be anonymous

#4 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that he's so messed up and delusional that he creates his own false origins.

#5 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

The Killing Joke did a good one.
#6 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke is the best!!

#7 Posted by General Jupiter (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Lovers and Madmen for the origin

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the fact that he has multiple origins and noone really knows where the hell he came from or why he does what he does its better that way
#9 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump lol

#10 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" I like his background to be anonymous "
#11 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke but I love that nobody knows.
#12 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" I like the more sympathetic one from "The Killing Joke". "
agreed
#13 Posted by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke.

Why? I think the story is far more interesting than him being an already unstable career criminal. It makes his character creepier because he used to be a normal man who simply went irredeemably insane.

#14 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke was the best written Joker origin in my opinion. But I totally agree that it's best that no definitive answer has ever been given.

#15 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Dini, the Joker works better without a definitive origin because it keeps him from becoming a tragic figure. He is a psychopath and the world's greatest at that and making him a martir takes the vibe away from him

#16 Posted by Erik (32220 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them all. It is part of his appeal to me. 

#17 Edited by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Lovers & Madmen. It reflects the modern Joker best.  I reguard The Killing Joke as outdated & almost out of character for the Joker, but it still holds to Oracle.

#18 Posted by xxSadisticSmilexx (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to have to agree with every one else, I enjoy the Joker's lack of a background.  It's part of his appeal.  Yet if I had to pick one, it would be the Killing Joke for sure.  Which that actually brings a question to mind... and I am curious to what D.C. would actually say.  Seeing as how D.C. claims he has no definite background, and the Hush series is one of the stories that is widely received as part of the Batman continuity... would the Joker's proven "Killing Joke" past in Hush Returns be slightly disproving of that?  I really wish the writers would have taken in consideration that he is best left without a background.

p.s.  Grant Morrison... I hate what you have done to my fav hero.  How dare you not only make him look different, but you also changed the very foundation of the Clown Prince, his personality.

#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker is less a person, in my opinion, than a force of nature. He is chaos personified. And because of that, I prefer him to not have a strict origin, though the Killing Joke is easily the best if I had to pick one.

#20 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to pick one, I'd say him falling into a vat of chemicals to the one I prefer the most.

#21 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way it was handled in Dark Knight, where you don't really know anything about him. I always kind of disliked the chemicals making him crazy origin. Why can't he just be crazy?

#22 Posted by TGalinsky (236 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him not having a background and having it be mysterious 

#23 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@TGalinsky said:
" I like him not having a background and having it be mysterious  "
My thoughts exactly.
#24 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxSadisticSmilexx said:

"p.s.  Grant Morrison... I hate what you have done to my fav hero.  How dare you not only make him look different, but you also changed the very foundation of the Clown Prince, his personality. "
You don't even know what has planned yet. Don't judge a book by it's cover. 

As for me, I like The Killing Joke.
#25 Posted by The_Jokes_On_You (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I perfer that the Joker not have an origin. Mainly because I think the Joker is better that way. The fans can think of all these horrible things that happened to him but we will never truely know for sure. Plus, I'm afraid if they do make a definite Joker origin it won't be disturbing enough for anyone to truely think that that situation made him the one and only Joker.

#26 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"What is your favorite Joker Origin mine is the one where he was the mobs best hit man who was introduced to chemicals and went crazy. It is the coolest to me and explains his genius level knowledge of engineering and chemistry. As well as his fighting skills and his pin point marksman ship "

Was that the golden age Joker?
#27 Posted by Daredevilwithoutfear (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke is the Best one hands down

#28 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10211 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"The Joker is less a person, in my opinion, than a force of nature. He is chaos personified. And because of that, I prefer him to not have a strict origin, though the Killing Joke is easily the best if I had to pick one. "

@EisforExtinction said:
"I like that he's so messed up and delusional that he creates his own false origins. "

@Caligula said:
"I like his background to be anonymous "

He is Chaos, he is the Theory that Random Acts of Injustice in the universe are evidence that there is no Justice, Morality, Good or Evil. 
Batman is the Theory that Random Acts of Injustice are evidence that the universe, have Justice and taht make the universe be about Justice, Morality, Good and Evil. 
Thats why one can not live without the other.
#29 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Brave and the Bold 33 the other day, in i we see another Joker origin where he was always evil and psychotic, even in his childhood.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.