Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4233 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Could Someone Else Fill The Joker's Shoes?

• 64 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Should the Joker take a vacation?
    Should the Joker take a vacation?
    The Dark Knight was a really good movie.  I think we can all agree that it was really the Joker and not Batman that truly made the movie.  It's unfortunate what happened to Heath Ledger but does that mean we shouldn't see the Joker on screen again for a while?  MTV spoke to producer Chuck Roven at the People's Choice Awards and he said that director Christopher Nolan and writer David Goyer are "talking and thinking" about it.
    “We have to separate the actors from the role,” said Roven when asked whether they would’ve done anything different with Heath Ledger’s villainous Joker if they knew the actor wouldn’t be reprising the role.

"On a personal level, Heath was a friend of mine. We had worked together before ‘The Dark Knight,’ but I still think that ‘The Dark Knight’ is its own thing, and we have to separate them,” added Roven.
    I think it could be done.  It's going to be hard.  People will probably be resistant at first and possibly criticize the creators but like Roven said, we need to separate truth from reality.  We've seen many different Batmen since 1989.  Each time, movie goers were willing to accept the next guy playing the Dark Knight.  The same goes for James Bond.  Those are the lead characters in their own franchise.  While it will be hard seeing someone else in the role of the Joker without thinking about Heath Ledger, if written well and acted well, it will work. 

Should another actor simply try to mimic Ledger's performance?  I say no.  The Joker isn't always written the same exact way from comic to comic.  Different writers have added their little bits to his character.  I think if you get an actor with talent, he can take the role and make it his own.  There was a time when people thought only Cesar Romero could pull off the Joker.  The same could be said after Jack Nicholson played the role. 

After seeing the Dark Knight, I think the Joker is an important part of Batman's mythology.  Having him escape from Arkham Asylum and returning to terrorize Batman is what we all want to see.  We just need to accept that it will be with a different actor.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Precise

Well, the new guy will have his job cut out for him. I'm sceptic but willing to give the new guy a chance =)

Shadow-Knight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shadow-Knight.

it was sad about what happed to Heath but I don't think he would what the joker to die with him, I would give a new Joker a chance.

Avatar image for xbilliexshearsx
    xbilliexshearsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xbilliexshearsx

The Joker is too much of a crucial character to batman to never have him in a movie again.  Heath Ledger is going to be hard to live up to.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4  Edited By DMC

Only if it's an older Joker for a "Return of the Dark Knight" conclusion

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Slinger

I wouldn't want to see the Joker in the next Batman movie anyway. Batman has a huge list of bad guys to pick from, by the time they want to use the Joker again people will be less resistant to a new one. I remember people being up in arms at Heath Ledger's Joker, saying he couldn't do better than Jack Nicholson (I personally think he didn't, but am in a minority.) People will hem and haw about it, but we'll see the Joker on film again.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By The WeatherMan

I honestly thought Heath would suck at playing the Joker. The guy from that movie about gay cowboys?! Are you frigging serious?! Turns out, he really was. "Why so serious?" he asked the audiences and they were left speechless. I would give the new Joker a chance, but I would be quite skeptical about it. Plus, I'd rather see Riddler in the new movie, rather than the Joker.

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SilverZeo

If they could replace the voice actor for Iroh on Avatar... but these are bigger shoes to fill, not to mention the ego for the dude who could pull it off.

Avatar image for flash_is_the_best
    Flash Is The Best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flash Is The Best

no way show heath some effing respect! no more joker in batman movies again

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The Hottness

It'll be another 20 years before someone even has the balls to try... 

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Nighthunter

Between Nickolson and Ledger there were 20 years of gap, I know there will be more jokers and there should be more, but doing it in the next film which comes in 2 or 3 years is a slap in the face for the perfomance

Avatar image for contagiousthoughts
    contagiousthoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh god you all need to get over it sorry but if the man playing batman can change every other movie then the joker can too Anyway I doubt joker would be the only threat in the movie and very much doubt he'll be the main one this time around that would really be boring so no disrespect to heath but a director made dark knight the movie it was not a single actor so again... GET OVER IT AND LET HIM DO HIS JOB HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING!!!

Push

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Push

Crispin Glover, I think looks like and would make a perfect Joker!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By King_Saturn
    Crispin Glover as The Joker... well he does look the Part... but I think we should move on from The Joker... let Heath Ledger shine as The Joker since his performance was amazing...
    Push

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Push

I totally agree, and not saying Joker should be in a batman or otherwise movie anytime soon, as he's had his fair share of the spotlight! But, Crispin, I think, would be awsome when the Joker comes a knocking next time (ten years, perhaps, at least)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn
    Push said:
    "I totally agree, and not saying Joker should be in a batman or otherwise movie anytime soon, as he's had his fair share of the spotlight! But, Crispin, I think, would be awsome when the Joker comes a knocking next time (ten years, perhaps, at least)"
    Yeah I Could See That
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I agree with you G-man.

Yes Heath was fantastic.. (of course he was he is an Aussie ;-P we do make the best superheroes and villians) but as Gman said the Joker has many faces and we have had actors do the role in the past so I think if someone could come in with their own twist that would work..

I mean we have had several different Batmans, Personally i kinda miss Michael Keaton.. i did love him in the role.. but the others.. did a reasonable job as well. Christian being the best since.

I say give another actor a go at the role and hopefully they wont try to mimic Heath... or stuff up the role.

Deo Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deo Wade

Heath's performance is the stuff of legends, but Batman without the Joker is absurd. If anyone could pull it off it'd be Johnny Depp a.k.a. The Acting Chameleon.

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By likalaruku

I wasn't very impressed with Ledger's Joker at all. Too much add-libbing, the costume & make-up were just an awul mess, etc. Wasn't impressed by Nicholson's Joker either; too out-of-character.  Yes, I'm an accuracy troll. I'd like to have a comic reader as a director, a comic reader writing the scripts, comic-based costumes, no add-libbing, lots of referencing, & spo-on personalities.

Deo Wade said:

"Heath's performance is the stuff of legends, but Batman without the Joker is absurd. If anyone could pull it off it'd be Johnny Depp a.k.a. The Acting Chameleon."
    Yah, after Sweeney Todd, I could see JD as a RIP style Joker. I'd also like to have an attractive man play him for once, so double yeah. As for HL, I'm not even going to cut him slack for being dead. People die every minute, wah wah, cry me a river. I'll tip my hat to Frank Gorshin though. Can't really imagine anyone who'd make a better Riddler.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't know if I could look at Crispin Glover playing the Joker without thinking of George McFly.

No Caption Provided

Not saying he couldn't do it but...
    -Bloodpool-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By -Bloodpool-

Na! If the actor bombs there goes the whole franchise once again to the gutter.. Leave Heath as the joker and move on. Because the odds are that people are going to forget that is a movie and will be the whole movie comparing Heath's performance with the new guy and If the new kid can't over shadow Ledger or at least get to the same level of performance;  the critics and fan will murder the movie franchise with their hate mail and stuff..

Deo Wade said:

"Heath's performance is the stuff of legends, but Batman without the Joker is absurd. If anyone could pull it off it'd be Johnny Depp a.k.a. The Acting Chameleon."
    Agreed IF someone could do it; it could be him.

But then again, I think we should just move on and look for another villain and not another actor. There is less risk for the franchise this way. 
    systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By systech

I don't think that you can replace the Joker at all in this generation of Batman films. Maybe next, but not by Christopher Nolan.

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I don't known who should be Joker in the next Batman Movie, but I hope they will do good such
    like Heath Ledger. I really want to see another villain in Batman 3 if they make it. The villain I would like to see
    would be Firefly.

mrenb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrenb

Why the insistence of using Joker again?  He's pretty much the same in terms of Lex Luthor in one respect; he's been used too frequently as the Nemesis.  Let's assume the Joker is in Arkhum Asylum, and move on to different villains.  Perhaps someone admires The Joker and becomes....The Riddler?  Why not?  I think the postings about Crispin Glover as Joker...Spot On.  I think he'd be the only choice, really, and while I could envision it, I just don't think using the Joker again is necessary by any means.  This isn't about Ledger, it's actually about the usage of the character itself.   Lex Luthor, Joker, they've had their time in the movies, we all know about them, quit beating a dead horse and give us some different villains.   *sigh*

Push

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Push
    G-Man said:
    "I don't know if I could look at Crispin Glover playing the Joker without thinking of George McFly.
    No Caption Provided

Not saying he couldn't do it but..."

Ahh, the good ole 80's days :-) He has come along way since then, though.
    MIssfitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MIssfitt

I think the true question lies with, what actor is going to want to take the role?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I'd rather see Deathstroke then an attempt to bring back the Joker.

Allenheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Allenheart
    MIssfitt said:
    "I think the true question lies with, what actor is going to want to take the role?"
    O_O OMG you imagine that they start a stupid "Joker curse" thing like they did with Superman.. Gosh such ignorance in the old days..

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

G-Man said:
    "I don't know if I could look at Crispin Glover playing the Joker without thinking of George McFly.
    No Caption Provided

Not saying he couldn't do it but..."
    LMAO

MC FLYYYYYYYYYY
    The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The Psyentist

Well, I know someone who would KILL to be the Joker...

I wouldn't mind someone taking up the role if they were good. I mean he IS like Batman's nemesis. I was mad that he got killed in the 1989 Batman. But the Joker could be put on hold for a bit.

And how else could there be a decent Harley Quinn? <3

Daemon707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Daemon707

the joker was  was an amazing charoter but i think that there should be a new joker although i lover joker from the Dark Knight i think it is safe to say that there should bet a new joker

mrenb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrenb

The Psyentist brings up a good point!  I hate to say, but I forgot about the potential of Harley Quinn being used.  Then I could definitely see Joker popping up again, with HQ counseling Mr. J, then breaking him out of Arkhum, etc.  That would be sweet.  Chaos ensues, and other villains running amok causing Bats to go batty. Pun intended.

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#33  Edited By TwilightThunder

Oh come on people, enough with the "Heath Ledger" Crap, i bet y'all were enraged when they announced him as the joker, i was one of those too, and i'm still thinking about his performance being the "best of all time" As lots of people say. I mean, if he wasn't dead he would've done a "nice performance" Instead of the people's "ONE OF THE F*CKIN' GREATEST ACTORS OF ALL TIME!"

So, please... Batman has changed through the ages, i liked Michael's Keaton Bruce Wayne, but he wasn't really that scary playing Batman, Val Kilmer did a goob job playing Bruce (although his movie SUCKED BIG TIME) and finally, we have Christian Bale, in my opinion, the ultimate actor, playing both Batman and Bruce Wayne.

AND NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANOTHER "JOKER FILM" I'd like an underworld take on Batman this time, i want him fighting the mob, i want him fighting with Deathstroke and Deadshot, i wanna see Batman in another pulp take (thanks to Christopher Nolan) Breaking some knees and beating thugs to a pulp in the alleys of Gotham City!

drone.devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By drone.devil

I'd be open to another actor.  he had just better not suck.  Heath set the bar pretty high.  The idea shouldn't be to replicate Heath's performance over again though....besides it is not as if the Joker even maintained a singular persona over the course of the film.  There was a range in his mania which made him so good at manipulating the actions of so many different personalities.

on the other hand....i don't really want to see the Joker playing a large part of the third film....its unnecessary.  Batman was the star of Batman Begins, and the Joker was clearly the star in Dark Knight.  Its time for a new personality to lead the third film.  Even if the new personality equates to a matured Batman further honing his skills.

roguextea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By roguextea

i think that heath did a pretty good job as joker, he was awesome!!!!  can't really imagine anyone who'd make a better joker though,  but when i saw crispin glover, maybe, he can do it! maybe!!

WhalePuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WhalePuncher

Heath Ledger was good, but I think I could take another actor as being the Joker. However I don't think the Joker should play a big role in the next movie. I think it should be a role that has more screen time than the Scarecrow's role in the Dark Knight, but not much bigger.

As for the actor to play the Joker, I think Heath Ledger did an excellent job, but I don't think anything he did was incredibly new or groundbreaking. He seemed just like a darker version of Mark Hamill's representation of the Joker in the animated series. And in that last sentence, I present my opinion of who should play the Joker in the next movie.

The joker wears make-up and messed up clothing, so you can cover up for Mark Hamill's aged appearance if he just has a minor role. But sadly, Mark Hamill appearing in the next Batman movie is an unrealistic dream of mine :(

Avatar image for wonderwomanlover
    WonderWomanlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WonderWomanlover

I believe the Joker is too crucial,  just to see him ride off, sticking his head out of the cop car nearing the end of the movie; not knowing where he went to, kind of a question mark. They could incorporate the joker, but have another villain as his muslce, or an introduction, i.e My personal favorite, BANE!
    I hope they use Bane, he's kicks ass so much.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WARLOCK2792

NO, it CANNOT be done.  He Ledger's performance as Joker was given way too man "haunting" remarks, and praised by just about everyone who saw the movie.  If Halle Berry was replaced as Storm, nobody would really care.  But if Professor X was replaced by another actor, that would by horrible.  That latter sums up what my feelings are.  The new actor could even by somewhat good, but the comparison between the two would be too much for anyone to enjoy the character's revival.  Leave the Joker alone, and get a new villain. 

ThE FL@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ThE FL@

i agree... heath's performance took a lasting impression on audiences... its like cesar romero and jack nicholsons jokers... they had a lasting impact on people... i would rather see a new joker after 10 years maybe... because lets face it... with the performance of heath... it would be pretty hard to live up to... i was also one of those skeptics who thought that heath ledger as the joker was a bad move... but when i saw his performance... he became one of my fave actors of all time... in par with marlon brando and charlto heston... hahaha... im not overreacting but the prformance gave a lot of impression in me... come on guys... its true...

for a new joker... maybe they should use another villain... more also in line with the madness of the joker... maybe doctor hugo... played by sir anthony hopkins... he could do the role like hannibal lecter... intelligent and respectable on the outside... but mad and sadistic on the inside... it would be really cool to see that the man who controls arkham... was also a villain...

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Static Shock

No Heath = No Joker.

But, I could give Crispin Glover a chance.

Punchinello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Punchinello

I'd refuse to see any further additions to Nolan's batverse if somebody else reprises the role of The Joker. It is true that not all Jokers on screen should be 'copying/imitating' the prior Joker, but that's for different directors; so Heath's Joker should not be replaced with a new actor in Nolan's bat!franchise. It'd be the same if Burton made another (god forbid) batman movie, but had somebody else playing the role of Bruce/Batman, Joker, or another character. =/ Both acting and character portrayal wise; it'd be shite. That's just my two cents, though. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Rod12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Rod12

If they decided to bring back The Joker (Heath Ledger) his version of the character I think the only actor capable of performing Heath Ledger's version of The Joker is actor Johnny Depp or actor David Tennant. The simply thought or idea of the return of The Joker in the 3rd Batman film should be considered when coming up with the story for the 3rd film. But only bring back The Joker if there is a real purpose or reason for The Jokers return don't just bring him back because you want to see The Joker be the villian again in the 3rd Batman Film and don't bring him back so in the end you will kill the character off like Harvey Dent was done in the end of The Dark Knight. But on that issue I believe Harvey Dent is dead but Two Face is still alive but thats just me. But over all the idea of the return of The Joker is a good idea if it is done right for the story, the character and the right actor is chosen. But if that doesnt accure simply leave The Joker locked up in Arkam in the end being a haunting shadow or thought in the mind of Batman and simply leave the character alone and just continue honoring Heath Ledger and his performance as the greatest comic book villian ever brought to the big screen.

Avatar image for shawn_the_devil
    Shawn The Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shawn The Devil

I will go with Jim Carrey, I think on his Former movie Characters like the Grinch, The Mask, The Cable Guy, The Riddler, 23, and Me, myself & Irene. He brings more Comedy and less Mental Stability to the Role.

Avatar image for bastion_the_master__sentinel
    Bastion the Master--Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe jim carey

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

I really, really, don't need to see Joker in the next Batman movie. I don't really like the character at all (even though I liked TDK a lot). Let us see Riddler or some other Batman villain instead >.>

Cara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cara

There is no need to bring the joker back in THIS series of batman movies, Heath Ledger did an AMAZING job,  bringing the character back with a different actor and they may as well just hang a lantern off his nose for the whole movie , one that screams " HEY! I'm here to remind you this is just a movie! don't get involved in the story... ... see this isn't even the same guy as before! .......... its a movie! ".

take into account  the number of other villains in the batman franchise, and the fact that the Joker was Heath Ledger's last role, and I think it would be bad taste to force the character back up on screen.

and By the way , to those who mentioned Jim Carrey, ... just no .. he's already played the Riddler once, it would just be awkward seeing him crammed into the joker role. ( even though he probably could pull it off )

Avatar image for misterbulletproof
    MisterBulletproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop talking about Depp OK, ¡Heath was 28 when he was doing the role, Johnny is now 45! sure you think "the makeup can help" but with the Joker was different, he just had those horrible scars and that poor clown makeup, Johnny would be kinda of an aged Joker, like the ones from Kingdom Come and the Dark Knight Returns. Also ¿Glover? the idiotic loser George Mcfly? please.

drone.devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By drone.devil

...Jim Carrey is an AWFUL choice.

Personally, I like The Riddler or Hugo Strange for the 3rd installment.  The Riddler would be more recognizable though.  I can already hear the general public bitching and moaning about how Nolan had to go and create a new character with Hugo Strange when batman already has a really cool list of villains like Bane or Clayface.

It sounds stupid but some people honestly though Jigsaw from the last punisher bomb was a rip off of the Saw character.

Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1

What about Johnny Depp, Jim Carrey, or Hillary clinton?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

If Jim Carrey plays the Joker..I will never see another Batman movie again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.