Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4240 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

can any do justice to heath ledgers joker

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By grimreaper1980

i don't think so

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Jack Nicholson was better

JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JackAs

Morgan Freeman.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By MrMiracle77

That's like asking if anyone could do justice to Raul Julia's Bison. 

Another actor will eventually have another take on the character, and may very well be just as celebrated for their performance.

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By likalaruku

Mark Hamill was better. He only did voices, but he did it for over 10 years without pissong me off once. As for Ledger, I bitched about him for a solid year.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @likalaruku said:
    " Mark Hamill was better. He only did voices, but he did it for over 10 years without pissong me off once. As for Ledger, I b@tched about him for a solid year. "
    Of course Hamill is the Joker. I too b@tched (just clean up the language ;-))about Ledger I did not care for his portrayal at all. But I loved Jack's live performance (sorta bias since he is my favorite actor)
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By likalaruku
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @likalaruku said:
    " Mark Hamill was better. He only did voices, but he did it for over 10 years without pissong me off once. As for Ledger, I b@tched about him for a solid year. "
    Of course Hamill is the Joker. I too b@tched (just clean up the language ;-))about Ledger I did not care for his portrayal at all. But I loved Jack's live performance (sorta bias since he is my favorite actor) "

When it comes to movies, I'd prefur not to give any credit to the actors at all. If they look good, it's because of the costume designer & makeup artist, if their portrayal is accurate, it's becaus eof the direction, if they sound like thir acting doesn;t suck, it's because of the script. An actor is little more than a glorified marionette.
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andferne

Yes

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Silver Knight75

I think Crispin Glover has some potential.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " Jack Nicholson was better "
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF

I honestly believe that Johnny Depp could play an amazing Joker, Im not saying it would be better than Heath Ledgers take on the character but i think it would come close to the same villain, since Joker was done so amazingly by Heath i really want Johnny to play the riddler, i think that would be the next best character for him to play out of the Batman Rogue gallery.
    Avatar image for marshall_madness
    Marshall Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marshall Madness

Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was a talented and interesting take on the character. However, it was not REALLY the Joker that we all have known. Nicholson's portrayal was much closer to the original essence of the character. Both were worthy adaptations and great performances, but to think no other actor could take on the role or "do it justice', just because the two previous incarnations were so well done is ridiculous. 

slap_nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By slap_nuts
    @Marshall Madness:
    @Marshall Madness:
    Agreed.. Heath Ledger was an interesting take and not a bad rendition, but others could do it justice if not better.  
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CylonDorado

Maybe if they reboot the franchise again, because if they change his attitude and personality at all, people will be like, WTF? Also, I think they're worried that the comics Joker would come across as a bit... gay in live action (think about it). Which is an explanation for why I think Jack Nicholson's performance was closer, but more like the Joker on prozac.
    Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Croaker

Yes. Goddamn 100% yes. This is an iconic character open to interpretations. No one OD'ing at a young age will get the role frozen forever.

Ledger's ghost will hang over the role for years, but I can guarantee you there are people who can top his performance. Or could if they were given the chance. The problem is people won't let you surpass a dead man.

I know people will hate me for saying this, but could you start giving the "RIP HEATH" messages a rest? It reeks of hypocrism and idolizing a dead celebrity. The man was lucky enough to be a film star, leaving behind a loving family. I'm not saying I'm happy he died, but his death shouldn't affect the work he performed. I highly doubt the man himself would even like this worshipping.

The role of Joker is a "loan", just like James Bond or Santa Claus. No one gets to own them and never will.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Croaker

@likalaruku said:

When it comes to movies, I'd prefur not to give any credit to the actors at all. If they look good, it's because of the costume designer & makeup artist, if their portrayal is accurate, it's becaus eof the direction, if they sound like thir acting doesn;t suck, it's because of the script. An actor is little more than a glorified marionette.

Think so? Imagine Steven Seagal doing the role. Who could possibly be more of a marionette? Except Keanu Reeves, perhaps.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By IrishX
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    "Jack Nicholson was better "

Agreed.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @IrishX said:

" @Son_of_Magnus said:

Agreed. "
    He was better as in being Whacky evil Joker... but HEalth was better at being the New Joker all the new fans love... and i think Johnny depp can do justice... if he were to be the Joker 
    eserrano05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eserrano05

in the end in depends on which director/creative team you like better tim burton did a great job at making a creepy yet goofy atomsphere that nobody else was able to recreate so it had to be rebooted and taken in a different direction more gritty and dark both performances reflect the style of film 

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Croaker
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    " @IrishX said:

" @Son_of_Magnus said:

Agreed. "
    He was better as in being Whacky evil Joker... but HEalth was better at being the New Joker all the new fans love... and i think Johnny depp can do justice... if he were to be the Joker  "
    I pray Johnny Depp will stay away from Batman movies. I see his ubiquitous shower fresh mug enough - namely in his blood brother's self-replicating adult fairy tales.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By bingbangboom

I think they can, I mean it is just a role and people have done it before. I really think that the Joker was to play a part in the third movie and he will not be in it.

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Silver Knight75

Crispin Glover

Staticoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Staticoss
    @JackAs:
    i hope that is a joke
    Rob.H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rob.H
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    I absolutely agree with this.   

In fact, I'd love to see Tim Burton put out another Batman flick.
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By grimreaper1980

okay, have you guys even seen the dark knight, if you think that jack nickolson is better, than you obviously haven't. but the crispin glover idea sounds interesting, i don't know about johnny depp though, unless he was gonna play the mad hatter, lol

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Caligula

Heath was awesome. but there will be another. and he may be even better.

but Pesonally I liked Cesar Romero's Joker. and Hamill is the the Joker.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Erik

The guy who played Joker for a cut scene on the Birds of Prey television series.

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mokey

Mark Hamill could outperform Heath's Joker in his sleep.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Croaker
    @erik said:
    " The guy who played Joker for a cut scene on the Birds of Prey television series. "
    I believe that was Mark Hamill himself.
    RiddleMeThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By RiddleMeThis

@DEGRAAF said:

"I honestly believe that Johnny Depp could play an amazing Joker, Im not saying it would be better than Heath Ledgers take on the character but i think it would come close to the same villain, since Joker was done so amazingly by Heath i really want Johnny to play the riddler, i think that would be the next best character for him to play out of the Batman Rogue gallery. "

I WILL hang myself if Johnny depp so much as contemplates the idea of being in ANY batman film! 
    Also, I get that heath ledgers preformance as the joker was different, but i wan't a little more... crazy funny, not crazy dark/depressing... 
    I mean, what happenned to the guy who kills a few people, has a laugh and gets sent off to arkham? 
    Maybe the whole "I fell into a vat of chemicals now i'm crazy as heck" doesn't wash with Nolan...
    The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The Dave
    @likalaruku said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @likalaruku said:
    Of course Hamill is the Joker. I too b@tched (just clean up the language ;-))about Ledger I did not care for his portrayal at all. But I loved Jack's live performance (sorta bias since he is my favorite actor) "
    When it comes to movies, I'd prefur not to give any credit to the actors at all. If they look good, it's because of the costume designer & makeup artist, if their portrayal is accurate, it's becaus eof the direction, if they sound like thir acting doesn;t suck, it's because of the script. An actor is little more than a glorified marionette. "
    This is true.. its liked blaming Arnie for Batman & Robin when it was the writers/casters/directors fault.. Arnie just did the work he was asked to
    The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The Dave
    @Croaker said:
    "

@likalaruku said:

Think so? Imagine Steven Seagal doing the role. Who could possibly be more of a marionette? Except Keanu Reeves, perhaps.

"
    Actually that's the point.. Steven Seagal would be terrible, but it wouldn't be his fault because the studio was stupid enough to give him the job in the first place.
    RiceFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RiceFox

That wasn't the Joker... That was just some guy.

Above average movie, the end.

Avatar image for mistahpyramidhead
    mistahpyramidhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Johnny Depp? But, really, nobody can replace Ledger :[

Avatar image for daredevilwithoutfear
    Daredevilwithoutfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rob.H said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    I absolutely agree with this.     In fact, I'd love to see Tim Burton put out another Batman flick. "
    I Agree with you on saying Jack Nicholson was better not that Im not saying Heath did not do a good Job he did and Yes I do like Heath Ledger but come on I really did not feel the essence of Mr J with Heath at all With Jack Nicholson I do, With Mark Hamill voicing him I do even with Cesar Romero I do but in all Honesty when I watch Nolan's take on the Joker he feels just like some Guy with messy Make up  and a terrorist just causing Chaos.. Yes the Joker is does Chaos but I did not feel the Mr J signature to it at all.. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.