Black Awful Joke

#1 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

When Joker said the world is a black awful joke, what did he mean?

#2 Posted by Onemoreposter (4006 posts) - - Show Bio

He's obviously a racist and is talking about people of a darker persuasion in gotham.

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

When I read the name of the thread

Then I clicked on it, I thought you meant.....never mind what I thought

#4 Edited by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you never hit a bl...oh wait, never mind then.

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

He meant the world is a twisted place with no real merit and that life itself is a joke, which it is. Essentially, he was referring to the way people construct a system of morality which is based more around the occupation of wealth and status than a legitimate view of right and wrong. The world continues to exist in this self-perpetuating cycle of birth, work, death in which no real Existential value is attained and life is entirely meaningless, yet it's also the most important thing there is; thus, life is an awful joke. 

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (57918 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

He meant the world is a twisted place with no real merit and that life itself is a joke, which it is. Essentially, he was referring to the way people construct a system of morality which is based more around the occupation of wealth and status than a legitimate view of right and wrong. The world continues to exist in this self-perpetuating cycle of birth, work, death in which no real Existential value is attained and life is entirely meaningless, yet it's also the most important thing there is; thus, life is an awful joke.

So he's basically saying that what's the point in Batman protecting a world when we're all going to eventually die anyway and why bother trying to change a world that's is always been, and will always be a twisted place. <-That the world doesn't deserve saving. So 2 Meanings, was I correct?

#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Fadetoblackbolt I think has it right.

And you're all terrible people lol

#9 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

Fadetoblackbolt I think has it right.

And you're all terrible people lol

So I'm right?

#10 Posted by Loki9876 (2995 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

oh god joker was right. (kinda)

#11 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

oh god joker was right. (kinda)

Joker's always right, watcha on about.

#12 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

That's beautiful.

#13 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he said the exact quote in Killing Joke where in he was probably remembering himself as the unfortunate engineer who went through a trauma gonga line. I'd say he meant that everything in existence is so vulnerable to chaos that expecting the universe to reward anyone for morality and being a good person is ridiculous. No matter what you do or don't, you'll get whatever the cosmic roulette decides.

#14 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

So much racism!

#15 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny enough things like this are why I always loved Joker, he always saw things in a way nobody else could see (which I think is what really gets to Bats). The older I get the more I realized he's not an insane man in a sane world, he's a sane man in an insane world..........either that or he's freaking nuts lol

.............o yea ya'll mothersuckers got some race issues

#16 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically that life sucks and then you die.

#17 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walker696 said:

Funny enough things like this are why I always loved Joker, he always saw things in a way nobody else could see (which I think is what really gets to Bats). The older I get the more I realized he's not an insane man in a sane world, he's a sane man in an insane world..........either that or he's freaking nuts lol

.............o yea ya'll mothersuckers got some race issues

#18 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Croaker said:

Well, he said the exact quote in Killing Joke where in he was probably remembering himself as the unfortunate engineer who went through a trauma gonga line. I'd say he meant that everything in existence is so vulnerable to chaos that expecting the universe to reward anyone for morality and being a good person is ridiculous. No matter what you do or don't, you'll get whatever the cosmic roulette decides.

So he's basically saying that what's the point in Batman protecting a world when we're all going to eventually die anyway and why bother trying to change a world that's is always been, and will always be a twisted place. <-That the world doesn't deserve saving. So 2 Meanings, was I correct?

#19 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose, but it's not death the Joker is worried about. Death is the ultimate joke for him. I think that even the Joker is trying to change the world for the better, in his horrible way. While he's laughing about the world being a putrid place (and making it worse), he kind of tells his "audience" to look at Batman, who is doing it right.

Guess the difference between them boils down to Batman saying it all adds up in the end and the Joker constantly challenging that.

#20 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: It ain't racist black humor is dark comedy/gallows humor/dead baby comedy not funny jokes made by dave chapelle or chris rock

Black humor is like lulz on the internet, when people laugh at others misfortunes. Tragedy is comedy.

Think of it as a Rape/Holocaust/9 11 joke

#21 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nerx said:

@Jnr6Lil: It ain't racist black humor is dark comedy/gallows humor/dead baby comedy not funny jokes made by dave chapelle or chris rock

Black humor is like lulz on the internet, when people laugh at others misfortunes. Tragedy is comedy.

Think of it as a Rape/Holocaust/9 11 joke

I know, Dark Humor is basically any comedy or jokes that could come off as offensive.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.