Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1833 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Why Van Jensen Is The Best Thing To Happen To John In Years

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

First

Nrama: You mention humor and fun, and I know your Pinocchiotitle had quite a bit of humor. Is this Green Lantern Corps title going to have humor woven into it? With Guy, I could always see humor, but with John, it's got to be a little tougher, isn't it?

Jensen: There's definitely going to be humor. And the thing with John that I want to bring out is that he's a well-rounded person. He has a humorous side, he has a serious side, and he does have a fun side.

I think his character has not been painted as fully in the past as some other characters, so we really want to explore all the sides of him. And not just kind of leave him as that stern, good soldier type, but show him as being a lot more than that.

Second

Nrama: You've told us in the past that we'll also see Fatality, Kilowog, Salaak, Soranik Natu and a few others. What role does Fatality play in the book with John at the center? Is their relationship continuing?

Jensen: Fatality plays a pretty central role. [She and John] embarked upon this relationship in recent issues, and it's something that, for John, is going to be a bit of a struggle...

So the two of them, they're really trying to forge a relationship together, and Fatality is very much committed to that. But then on Fatality's side, she's a Star Sapphire, so she's very committed to love and a more peaceful existence. And being in the Green Lantern Corps doesn't exactly jibe well with an existence of love and peace. So there's some conflict there of Fatality not really supporting John continuing in his role with the Green Lanterns and the Corps.

Third

Van Jensen: John has an interesting background in that he's both an architect and has military experience. So he's uniquely suited, with his background, to playing a very key role in facing all the questions and uncertainty about rebuilding the Corps. There are a lot of questions about training the Corps, rebuilding the Corps. Even just thinking about what the mission of the Green Lanterns will be going forward, now that they aren't relying on the Guardians for guidance as much.

So through all of the big questions and uncertainty, John's going to provide some leadership going forward.

http://www.newsarama.com/17812-durlans-change-shape-of-green-lantern-corps-as-new-era-begins.html

I'm a huge John fan and have been waiting for something more than the stern, ultra serious version of the character for so long. I'm a huge fan of GL: Mosaic and I hope I get even an ounce of that with this upcoming book. I'm tired of him being written as "boring" and being left in the background.

My interest is peaked by this

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

John is finally getting the attention he rightfully deserves.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SUNMAN

the book hasn't even come out yet, you guys shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. Any writer can have a good interview doesn't mean it translates to the comics

wait till the comic comes out first.

Also not thrilled about revisiting the exploding planet yet again. Do something creative with it in regard to John or just leave it alone imo

Will see how this comic is. If you ask me the best thing to happen to John Stewart was the Justice League cartoon

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blkson

Can't wait to read this. John having an ongoing series is loooong over due. With the media fiasco that surrounded the possible death of the most prominent black hero in all of DC comics not to far in the past, I imagine DC really wants this book to excel.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@blkson: @sunman: @black_claw:

How can you not appreciate a writer who does his research?

No Caption Provided

http://van-jensen.tumblr.com/post/51611993476/im-in-the-midst-of-reading-green-lantern-mosaic

You can't get Mosaic in hardcover or trade paperback because DC has never released the series that way. The dude went out of his way to get Mosaic. That's a fan who will probably give us more of the John we love. With Green Lantern Corps 21, Superman: Unchained, Batman: The Zero Year, and Man of Steel all coming out the same week, June 12th can't come soon enough. Start saving your cash, boys!

Edit- I'm pretty sure that Crimson Dawn is the basis for the Red Lanterns, btw.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawrenegade: will see. I already got overly excited when the New 52 came out only to be disappointed. I'll give the title a chance but I'm not going to assume he kills it. Been disappointed by too many creators who gave good interviews.

Just hoped he watched the Justice League cartoon series too

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blkson

@outlawrenegade: yo I'm excited!This book will mos def have my money. I am a little worried though, not about Jensen, but about DC. The editors at DC never just let the writers write.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

http://van-jensen.tumblr.com/post/51611993476/im-in-the-midst-of-reading-green-lantern-mosaic

You can't get Mosaic in hardcover or trade paperback because DC has never released the series that way. The dude went out of his way to get Mosaic. That's a fan who will probably give us more of the John we love. With Green Lantern Corps 21, Superman: Unchained, Batman: The Zero Year, and Man of Steel all coming out the same week, June 12th can't come soon enough. Start saving your cash, boys!

Well I'm sold. Mosaicis the definitive Stewart arc for me, even though the rest of the writers seem to feel the Xanshi arc was instead.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

No Caption Provided

all of the blackest night/alternate corps stuff was based on concepts originally imagined by Alan Moore if im not mistaken. he was rather unhappy about it.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Captain13
    blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: already got my issue. It was pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing how John will interact with the new guys/gal. They look like the stereotypical team though. There's a angry warrior dude/tank (Jruk), a smart guy (Maro) , a woman (Feska), and I don't really know what type of character Ergann is but, well see. The art was amazing man, I like what Mr Chang is doing. I don't like how bright skinned Yrra was in this issue but, I do like Chang's art.

I give it a 4/5

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.