Why Does John Keep Killing Other Green Lanterns?

#1 Posted by Craig Lovecraft (202 posts) - - Show Bio

I know he had good reasons for doing it, but why do they keep resorting to having John kill off other Green Lanterns? First he killed Mogo and recently he took the life of another lantern. Do you guys feel this trend is going to continue? Is John going to become the guy who takes out other Lanterns just so that no one else has to get their hands dirty?

#2 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

ummmm.....no.

#3 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is the one that does what must be done and can take the consequences.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23767 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz:  
 

Because he is the one that does what must be done and can take the consequences.

That is the case most of the time..but if you read the latest GLC, he could have easily silenced that Green Lantern who was about to blab by knocking him out, he didn't have to KILL him, it was overrating if you ask me.
#5 Posted by Dernman (14891 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman: Knocking him out would have been insufficient. They had no way of knowing if or when help would arrive. So when the GL awoke he would not only give the info to them but John would have lost his chance to silence him.
#6 Posted by The Stegman (23767 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: Yeah, but John mustered up enough strength to escape moments later, who's to say he couldn't have knocked him out, then escaped?? Help didn't arrive until he had already flown a good distance away.
#7 Posted by Dernman (14891 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman: But John didn't know he was going to have a chance to escape until it was given or the fact that the escape would have worked out. So he couldn't have passed up that chance.
#8 Posted by The Stegman (23767 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: Still, If i were him, I would have taken the chance that the escape could work, I would have knocked the dude out before he could say anything and at least try to escape before out and out killing him....that's just me of course
#9 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Because he is the one that does what must be done and can take the consequences.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

He was on the front line and knows what it is like to kill someone first hand. He does what needs to be done and does what is best for the Corps. He is willing to make the sacrifices and hard decisions.

@The Stegman: If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

#10 Posted by The Stegman (23767 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF:  
 

@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.
#11 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:


@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (23767 posts) - - Show Bio
@royale_with_cheese:  
 


@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:


@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else. 

I just gave another another chance of action that would have worked equally as well
#13 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@royale_with_cheese:

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:


@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else.

I just gave another another chance of action that would have worked equally as well

No, not really. First of, Kirrt's will was completely broken (that much was obvious), and had he been knocked out instead of killed, that would have only delayed his inevitable betrayal. From John's point of view, he was willing to die for the corp, and was ready to do so in this given instance. He wasn't certain whether the cavalry were coming to rescue them or not, nor was he certain whether or not he and his fellow captured lanterns would survive the torture. If anything, his final discharge from his was his way of saying "I'm not going down without a fight", as opposed to an actual escape plan.

#14 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

@The Stegman said:

@royale_with_cheese:

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:


@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else.

I just gave another another chance of action that would have worked equally as well

No, not really. First of, Kirrt's will was completely broken (that much was obvious), and had he been knocked out instead of killed, that would have only delayed his inevitable betrayal. From John's point of view, he was willing to die for the corp, and was ready to do so in this given instance. He wasn't certain whether the cavalry were coming to rescue them or not, nor was he certain whether or not he and his fellow captured lanterns would survive the torture. If anything, his final discharge from his was his way of saying "I'm not going down without a fight", as opposed to an actual escape plan.

lol i'll just apologize now, it seems that i dont know what we are talking about. I thought John was in a life or death situation against another corps member. I agree with @The Stegman: I dont know the exact situation of what is going on but if he was just trying to stop another corps member about speaking the truth that throws a bigger question imo in to the fold. Johns could have knocked out the other corps member and restrained him if necessary. I seem to need to pick this issue up.

I Think the big question is why is John hiding the truth, he has always been about doing what was right. He has had issues with the guardians before about them keeping secrets im surprised he didnt side with the corpsman that knew the truth. Again i dont know the full going ons of the story tho.

Can someone please fill me in on what the secret was

#15 Posted by Greenflashlight (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that John does not kill a fellow lantern ever few issues, but when you look at his history he has always done what needs to be done, yes he has killed people and planets but it was always necessary at the time then every thing works out in the end and you get this feeling like well was it really necessary? I love the Green Lantern books but I do not want a Green Lantern killing other Lanterns every other book. The next time a Green Lantern has to kill a fellow GL I want Kyle to be the one to do the deed

#16 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@royale_with_cheese said:

@The Stegman said:

@royale_with_cheese:

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:


@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else.

I just gave another another chance of action that would have worked equally as well

No, not really. First of, Kirrt's will was completely broken (that much was obvious), and had he been knocked out instead of killed, that would have only delayed his inevitable betrayal. From John's point of view, he was willing to die for the corp, and was ready to do so in this given instance. He wasn't certain whether the cavalry were coming to rescue them or not, nor was he certain whether or not he and his fellow captured lanterns would survive the torture. If anything, his final discharge from his was his way of saying "I'm not going down without a fight", as opposed to an actual escape plan.

lol i'll just apologize now, it seems that i dont know what we are talking about. I thought John was in a life or death situation against another corps member. I agree with @The Stegman: I dont know the exact situation of what is going on but if he was just trying to stop another corps member about speaking the truth that throws a bigger question imo in to the fold. Johns could have knocked out the other corps member and restrained him if necessary. I seem to need to pick this issue up.

I Think the big question is why is John hiding the truth, he has always been about doing what was right. He has had issues with the guardians before about them keeping secrets im surprised he didnt side with the corpsman that knew the truth. Again i dont know the full going ons of the story tho.

Can someone please fill me in on what the secret was

He wasn't hiding the truth, he was about to tell the truth when the other lantern he was with during that torture session the one that didn't break stopped him and didn't mention to the reinforcements about what John did.

Now I agree with royale, yes John could have knocked the guy out and tried the escape but what's to stop those torturing them from knocking John out should he fail the escape, if John was knocked out or killed for trying to escape when the other lantern wakes up who'll be there to stop him from spilling the beans.

#17 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

He wasn't hiding the truth, he was about to tell the truth when the other lantern he was with during that torture session the one that didn't break stopped him and didn't mention to the reinforcements about what John did.

Now I agree with royale, yes John could have knocked the guy out and tried the escape but what's to stop those torturing them from knocking John out should he fail the escape, if John was knocked out or killed for trying to escape when the other lantern wakes up who'll be there to stop him from spilling the beans.

wait wait wait.....

From what i understood about the situation before you posted this, John Stewart killed a fellow Corps member bc the corps member was going to reveal the truth about the corps.

Now it sounds like

A.) John Stewart was the one with the knowledge of the truth and he killed the other Corps member to save himself while both of them were being tortured

or

B.) They were being tortured, both knew a secret about the corps and the other member cracked from the torture and Johns killed him before he could reveal the secret

#18 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

@Steps said:

He wasn't hiding the truth, he was about to tell the truth when the other lantern he was with during that torture session the one that didn't break stopped him and didn't mention to the reinforcements about what John did.

Now I agree with royale, yes John could have knocked the guy out and tried the escape but what's to stop those torturing them from knocking John out should he fail the escape, if John was knocked out or killed for trying to escape when the other lantern wakes up who'll be there to stop him from spilling the beans.

wait wait wait.....

From what i understood about the situation before you posted this, John Stewart killed a fellow Corps member bc the corps member was going to reveal the truth about the corps.

Now it sounds like

A.) John Stewart was the one with the knowledge of the truth and he killed the other Corps member to save himself while both of them were being tortured

or

B.) They were being tortured, both knew a secret about the corps and the other member cracked from the torture and Johns killed him before he could reveal the secret

There were more than two I think four or five. By the end of the torture session three remained John, another lantern and John's victim. The GL that was killed by John was about to spill the beans on the secret before John killed him, after killing him which I also think helped in his escape (giving him more reason to escape more will to escape because he didn't want that GL he killed to have his death be in vain) John was able to break free from his captors which a few panels later encountered the GL reinforcements. John was about to tell Guy what he did before the third lantern the one that broke free along with John cut him off and redirected the conversation. IIRC it wasn't really a secret more like the navigation codes or something similar to Oa which was the target of the antagonists in this arc and seeing as how these antagonist (to avoid spoiling much) are almost completely resistant to the will constructs of the GL's they could have very well conquered Oa given the chance or that was probably what John was thinking I was thinking that too.

#19 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps: lol oh, thanks. In that case i change sides yet again and stand with my first claim, He knew it needed to be done and knew what needed to be sacrificed for the betterment of the corps

#20 Edited by master_wright (59 posts) - - Show Bio

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

#21 Posted by daredevil21134 (11347 posts) - - Show Bio

@master_wright said:

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

They hold him back outta fear of him becoming more popular than Hal Jordan.Because we all know how great the GL movie was right.

#22 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@master_wright said:

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

All of this.

#23 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@master_wright said:

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

They hold him back outta fear of him becoming more popular than Hal Jordan.Because we all know how great the GL movie was right.

#24 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@master_wright said:

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

They hold him back outta fear of him becoming more popular than Hal Jordan.Because we all know how great the GL movie was right.

#25 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with superdork's statement.

#26 Edited by cassiuss (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question i think thats something the average person counldnt even truthfully answer until they were actually in that situation.

#27 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the writers want him to do the dirty work that must be done, in order for Kyle, Guy and Hal reputation to be safe.

#28 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle i could see. but you think hal and guy have a good reputation??

#29 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what? Green Lantern rings don't kill people. BLACK MOFOS with Green Lantern rings kill people.

Cool points if you know what I'm referencing.

#30 Edited by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Guy Gardner is known for his bad behaviour, he pisses people, but he is not known for being a mass killer. He's more like a rebel man. Hal, everybody knows in a way, the "bad" things he has done in the past are not really his "fault". You know, like the Parallax thing, he was possessed. John is the only one taking charge of bad stuff on himself, the real John. So he's not the cool guy Kyle is, he's not the "excuses" guy Hal is, and he's not the "i'm a bad ass but i dont really do bad things cause inside i'm soft " Gardner is. The bad stuff John does, it is on him, always. No reputation, no excuses.

#31 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

John honestly didn't need to kill him, if he knocked him out he could've had the job done.

Some people are saying that the corps will now excecute him and he'll be replaced by this new Green Lantern.

#32 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in reference to killing Mogo, the writers were going for a dramatic moments after a strong series of dramatic moments and somewhat jumped the shark. In reference to the second, I think the writers thought it would be a good idea to have another court trial in comics story arc (which have generally been pretty uninteresting)

Moderator
#33 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

Some people are saying that the corps will now excecute him and he'll be replaced by this new Green Lantern.

I wont be surprised. DC never cared about him, they never gave a chance to John Stewart character. They treat him like a sidekick to the three other GL. Good for DC to replace a character they treated like garbage with another character from ethnic minority ...So progressive. For my part, if this happen, that would be the end between my money and DC comics. You cant treat a character like shit and get rid of him with that shameless ways.

#34 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? Bad writing to introduce a Justice League "In Blackest Night" ripoff.

I liked Tomasi's previous GLC/GLEW runs but this one really is not as good. It is even stupid at times, like with the whole Hiroshima/Nagasaki comparison.

#35 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

That Guy Gardner speech was just awful, i dont know how they can allow writers to print such stupid things. I'm starting to get very angry with GLC run.

#36 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

John honestly didn't need to kill him, if he knocked him out he could've had the job done.

I understand what you are saying. I didnt buy it, it was so forced from the writer. I was upset with the fact that Guy killing prisonners is not a big deal for the corps, and in the other hand Tomasi forces John to do something which wasnt needed. I think like i said earlier, they wantJohn to remain the least popular member, the one nobody loves because he's always doing bad things. Gardner is the hero, John a sidekick, so they have to fill the plot.

#37 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its just a really poor attempt at making him a compelling character. The irony of the situation is that he killed a fellow lantern to protect the corps while the Guardians are planning on destroying and replacing them anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.