Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Why Does DC Hate John Stewart? And Why Won't They Put Him In JL?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

@gljs: well, a recent poll from IGN showed that a whopping 61% of the public prefers John over Hal, even after DC has been shoving him in the background for nearly a decade. That alone amazed me. Sadly it's highly likely they'll still keep pushing Hal and put him in the JL movie over John.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#252 the_stegman  Moderator

I've said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again. Hal deserves the spot on the first JL movie just as Barry deserves the Flash spot, not Wally West. They are apart of the founding seven and whether you like them or not, they need to be in the film.

mousecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I grew up with the JL cartoon starting 7, so I'd rather have them.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#254  Edited By Captain13

@the_stegman: didn'.t happen in the cartoon andthat turned out awesome, so?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 the_stegman  Moderator

@captain13: That's a cartoon, this is a live action film, it will reach a larger audience, Hal deserves that attention.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#257  Edited By Lvenger
    OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@lvenger: Lol, you're just mad you didn't get the result you want, fanboy. If the vote turned out differently, you wouldn't complain. Also, that site is not just comic book fans. And it captures the demographic the studio is looking for.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger: Lol, you're just mad you didn't get the result you want, fanboy. If the vote turned out differently, you wouldn't complain. Also, that site is not just comic book fans. And it captures the demographic the studio is looking for.

Pahaha, you're just showing yourself up now friend. I'm not a fanboy about anyone, I can assure you. I like John and he could work in a Justice League film. I just think Hal would be a better fit. And let's talk about the term 'fanboy' shall we? If I rabbitted on like a broken record about John Stewart this and Hal Jordan sucks that as much as you do, then I might be the fanboy. But until then, you might not want to throw stones in your glass house.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 the_stegman  Moderator

@outlawrenegade: Those "comic book fans" aren't even comic book fans, they're just nostalgic for the JL animated series, so excuse me if I don't take that poll seriously.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all honesty, the most I've cared about John is in the JL/JLU series. That's when he was given the most amount of attention and characterisation. In the comics, John's personality has been all over the place. From racial activist due to Dennis O'Neil's views and stances on the controversial issues to a bit of a cocky guy whose mistake destroyed Xanshi. Then there was the short lived Mosiac mini series. Next, not many writers used him properly except maybe Joe Kelly in his Justice League run. By contrast, the JL/JLU series fleshed out John's character and his Navy background along with giving him a bigger voice. Hopefully Van Jensen and Venditti will be doing that in their GLC series.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Yeah, but it indicates that John is still the most popular lantern with the general public rather than just a dwindling niche of people.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 the_stegman  Moderator

@outlawrenegade: Lol, the people on that poll aren't "the general public" they are nostalgic JL fans, if anything, they are the dwindling niche.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Since the show still airs every Saturday morning and has for nearly a decade now, I would say the audience for the show has been in the millions, while comics --at best--reach 100k--on a really good day. And many of those readers prefer John--especially after his last issue.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In my opinion it would be a bad move to have John Stewart as the Green Lantern in a Justice League movie. John is an interesting character but I have always found him a little bland and the only time he was interesting to me was in the JL cartoon. I think many people long for him to be portrayed as he was in that cartoon and want him in the Justice League movie, Problem with that is you can not just bank off of what fans of a cartoon that is nearly a decade old now want.

Hal Jordan is the Green Lantern that most of pop culture knows and that is who WB will put in a Justice League movie because of that fact. They want to bring in the most money and the way you do that is by showing the most well know characters in a big flashy movie.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer John but he is so quiet and serious. And thanks to Geoff Johns is the first person to pull the trigger on his on team members. That doesnt change the fact i would want him on the JL team in the cinematic universe (along with Wally West)

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degraaf: @br_havoc: John's role in the comics is improving. GLC 22's preview features him heavily as a leader. GLC 21 was well writeen and has outsold Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and all the GL spinoffs. Check it out if you haven't already.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@outlawrenegade: Agreed. He was awesome in GLC #22 as well. About time DC started giving him some personality.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John should stay as far away as possible from the JL movie.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Superbat420

@skewer: lol Bruce Tim didn't realize his potential? He was there just because he was black and dc has stated that many times

myround0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_recovery: DCEU does hate John Stewart. That is a fact. He has taken the mantle and elevated the Green Lanterns thanks to his Justice League 2001-2006 run. DCEU took him off the air in 2006 and have ZERO plans in using him again. That is until a new MANAGEMENT TEAM IS INSTALLED IN DC.

myround0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: Comic books do not sell that well anyway...Fans and the audience in general likes to watch, see, visualize, more than read...John was huge in the Justice League, there needs to be more animated adventures with John Stewart, slap Hal Jordan in a few films and have people get use to seeing his face. But John should be the lead character; the fans know him...

KidChampion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Geof Johns and Dan Didi are Hal's goonies

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.