Why Does DC Hate John Stewart? And Why Won't They Put Him In JL?

#101 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

John is so boring.

#102 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251: except for Kyle...right cause I mean he is basically the Star of the book for a lot of the series.

Anyway I love John Stewart in the JL Animated series. I hope he makes a comeback because that version of him was really awesome.

- Well, i haven't exactly been reading the GL corps, but i was under the impression that Stewart and Gardner were the main characters of the GL Corps New 52 series, and i am fairly certain that i am correct.

- However, Kyle Rayner is indeed the star of the GL New Guardians New 52 series.

#103 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio
@savagedragon said:

@thejman251: except for Kyle...right cause I mean he is basically the Star of the book for a lot of the series.

Anyway I love John Stewart in the JL Animated series. I hope he makes a comeback because that version of him was really awesome.

- Well, i haven't exactly been reading the GL corps, but i was under the impression that Stewart and Gardner were the main characters of the GL Corps New 52 series, and i am fairly certain that i am correct.

- However, Kyle Rayner is indeed the star of the GL New Guardians New 52 series.

Stewart always plays second fiddle to the White characters--even in GLC, in which he is co-star. First he played second fiddle to Hal, then Kyle, and now guy. Even on the covers.

@wboy said:

John is so boring.

And John is not boring. He's underused due to always being shoved in the background. There is a difference.

#104 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the big two publishers put people on teams because of films

#105 Edited by Black_Claw (2888 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'm glad that John is gonna be taking center stage in GLC, I really think he would've fit a lot better in the JLA as the person who can take on Hal, because Simon is just a rookie who doesn't have a chance in hell of taking on of the most skilled Lanterns out there. Plus, John is a former Marine so it would make perfect sense for him to be on a Government created team.

#106 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12516 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'm glad that John is gonna be taking center stage in GLC, I really think he would've fit a lot better in the JLA as the person who can take on Hal, because Simon is just a rookie who doesn't have a chance in hell of taking on of the most skilled Lanterns out there. Plus, John is a former Marine so it would make perfect sense for him to be on a Government created team.

this.

#107 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Because he's the most boring of the Earth Green Lanterns

So the only human ever to become a guardian is boring? Maybe because Johns and the other GL writers have done nothing with him. He was interesting in Mosaic and the cartoon, so?

And that's my point. Some people will consider him boring because he's never used. He's never at the center of galactic conflict. He's never the main character.

I didn't find him interesting in the cartoon, either honestly. Of course, that's my opinion, but it doesn't take too much to interest me.

#108 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreadmaster: I would guess you would be in the minority. John Stewart has a very strong fan base from the cartoon who found him interesting. If he weren't than DC would have been able to kill him off without a hitch. That wasn't the case.

#109 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw said:

I don't think he would have said yes to the offer though, or at least I wouldn't think it would be in his character considering how he was portrayed, along with Guy, as wanting to leave Earth and just be a GL full time without an Earth based secret identity early on in GL Corps.

#110 Posted by Black_Claw (2888 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreadmaster: I would guess you would be in the minority. John Stewart has a very strong fan base from the cartoon who found him interesting. If he weren't than DC would have been able to kill him off without a hitch. That wasn't the case.

One can only guess that the fan outcry was the real reason why DC made him the main character of GLC.

#111 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

John Stewart has been in the JLA.

#112 Posted by Black_Claw (2888 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in the DCnU.

#113 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12516 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

his membership was wiped out post flashpoint

#114 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

Did your brain get wiped out post flashpoint too? So now DC hates every character that hasnt been in the JLA post flashpoint? So that would be every character accept 6? You know just because DC storylines were erased from continuity at flashpoint doesnt mean DC as a comic book company didnt exist before flashpoint.

#115 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12516 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@rich711 said:

Did your brain get wiped out post flashpoint too?

Wow, thats really necessary and a totally non-douchey statement

So now DC hates every character that hasnt been in the JLA post flashpoint?

When did i say this?

So that would be every character accept 6?

i think you mean except

You know just because DC storylines were erased from continuity at flashpoint doesnt mean DC as a comic book company didnt exist before flashpoint.

I dont recall ever stating anything to the contrary. calm the fu*k down

#116 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it when people throw temper tantrums and insist that the other person needs to calm down.

#117 Edited by BR_Havoc (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

My opinion is John has always been the forgotten Green Lantern. Fans love Hal they always did but when the Justice League cartoon was coming out Hal had recently murdered the whole freaking Corp and was possessed by Parallax it was the low point of the character and his popularity fell. So I believe that and Dwayne Mcduffie influenced why they picked John to be in the cartoon. You can't say DC hates John Stewart because he has been able to get away with a few things Hal would of never been aloud to do. Its just he has never had the popularity of Hal he is the B Lantern along with Kyle and Guy.

#118 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12516 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

I love it when people throw temper tantrums and insist that the other person needs to calm down.

where did i throw the temper tantrum?

#119 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters gonna hate

But seriously, I like all the 2814 lanterns a lot...except for Baz, but that's only because I haven;t seen him much in comparison to the others

#120 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: I could not agree more with you on your opinions on Hal and John.

#121 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread's still going?

Also, is being in the Justice League currently (since he's been a member in the past) the only indicator that a character is valuable?

If he weren't a character they valued, he wouldn't be in any books. He wouldn't have been a headliner of Green Lantern books for the better part of the last decade.

#122 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread's still going?

Also, is being in the Justice League currently (since he's been a member in the past) the only indicator that a character is valuable?

If he weren't a character they valued, he wouldn't be in any books. He wouldn't have been a headliner of Green Lantern books for the better part of the last decade.

Headliner is pretty strong when John wasn't used by Geoff Johns during his entire 9 year run. He wasn't the main character in any story and was hardly even used as a background character. The only thing Johns did with him was make him destroy Mogo. That's not what a writer does with a character he wants to increase the popularity of. on the other hand, he faps to Hal Jordan every minute of every day. For more in depth criticism, look here:

http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2012/09/speaking-power-to-stupid-the-ever-dumb-green-lantern-comics-of-geoff-johns/

#123 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@superdork:I was referring to the Green Lantern Corps book, not Green Lantern. Geoff Johns was writing a Hal Jordan book and expanding the Green Lantern mythos. Peter Tomasi and others were writing a John/Guy/Kyle Green Lantern book.

I know there's a lot of contention between people about who the main Earth Green Lantern should be...and personally I don't have a dog in that fight. When I got into DC comics, Kyle was GL, so that's who I attached to. Wally West was the Flash. For me, I didn't develop the attachment to Hal and Barry Allen that some of the readers older than me had, so they felt these new up-and-comers were an intrusion on their franchises. When the older characters returned, I felt the same way.

But ultimately, what's the point? If characters we enjoy are being written at all, that's a good thing. If you feel a character should be "bigger", buy more books. Sales ultimately drive who gets a high profile, at the end of the day. I'd prefer to read a Wally West Flash to a Barry Allen Flash, but I'm still enjoying the current book.

#124 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio
Or they could let Jon Stewart form his own Justice League.

#125 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@superdork:I was referring to the Green Lantern Corps book, not Green Lantern. Geoff Johns was writing a Hal Jordan book and expanding the Green Lantern mythos. Peter Tomasi and others were writing a John/Guy/Kyle Green Lantern book.

I know there's a lot of contention between people about who the main Earth Green Lantern should be...and personally I don't have a dog in that fight. When I got into DC comics, Kyle was GL, so that's who I attached to. Wally West was the Flash. For me, I didn't develop the attachment to Hal and Barry Allen that some of the readers older than me had, so they felt these new up-and-comers were an intrusion on their franchises. When the older characters returned, I felt the same way.

But ultimately, what's the point? If characters we enjoy are being written at all, that's a good thing. If you feel a character should be "bigger", buy more books. Sales ultimately drive who gets a high profile, at the end of the day. I'd prefer to read a Wally West Flash to a Barry Allen Flash, but I'm still enjoying the current book.

Well, even the other writers didn't do anything with John. When John was Hal's partner, he wasn't used. When John was on JLA, the writers didn't do anything with him. When John was sharing a book with Kyle, Kyle was the main character and John was a background character. When John shared a book with Guy, all he did was murder Kiirt.

• What did John do in Rebirth?
  • What did John do in Sinestro Corps War?
  • What did John do in Rage of the Red Lanterns?
  • What did John do in Secret Origin?
  • What did John do in Blackest Night?
  • What did John do in Brightest Day?
  • What did John do in War of the Green Lanterns?
  • What has John done in the New52?

A whole lot of nothing while Hal, Guy, and Kyle all had their own books, were heavily involved in all of the above events (besides Secret Origin), and were made central to the mythos. The best you can say John did was cameo to destroy a planet. Fail. Now they bring in another brown-skinned lantern and DC editorial tries to kill off John even though he's the most prominent black superhero outside of comics. Looks pretty suspicious to me. Looks like fanboy jealousy due to mainstream popularity to me.

I can't buy more books with John if DC doesn't give him a solo title with a solid creative team. He's always just been featured in other books, so that even if fans did support him, editorial could say this book is selling because of: Hal/Guy/Kyle.

DC editorial/publishing is treating a highly loved and respected character like complete SHITE! And I don't have to take it up the azz while DC continues to disrespect its black heroes by shoving them in the background unless they need to say, "Look we're not racist."

#126 Edited by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Please don't think I'm being disrespectful or trying to antagonize you...but why do you like John Stewart?

You've pointed out that you feel he doesn't get used much (or well). While I don't agree I understand your point of view.

What has he done in the past that really made you into the character?

#127 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

Please don't think I'm being disrespectful or trying to antagonize you...but why do you like John Stewart?

You've pointed out that you feel he doesn't get used much (or well). While I don't agree I understand your point of view.

What has he done in the past that really made you into the character?

Sorry, I really don't mean to come across as combative, but this really irks me. As for why I like the character, I love his Green Lantern: Mosaic title, a critically acclaimed and well known series that DC has never collected in TPB or HC. The depth and quality of the book are Morrison-level. It's some of the most clever writing I've read in a mainstream comic. He's an intellectual who uses his abilities and mind to protect the mosaic world. He's their Master Builder. At the end, John becomes the first and only human/mortal Guardian of the Universe. The entire series is just brilliant.

Then there's his appearance on JLU, in which he's a tough as nails marine who doesn't take **** from anyone. Kyle Rayner, Supergirl, and Flash look up to him. He's popular enough that people thank Green Lantern when Booster Gold saves the day (lol). He has real history and interesting relationships with his war buddy Rex Mason, his girlfriends (Katma Tui, Hawkgirl, and Vixen). He's one of the most powerful, useful, and proactive members of the team. He's really funny--especially if he's with Flash or Batman. He's a well-developed character who is often at the center of a storyline, driving it forward. He's a big dawg in the DCAU in every imaginable way. He's iconic. He's handsome. And he just happens to be Black. Even better, he doesn't fit any negative stereotypes like being a criminal or being the largest person in the room or shuckin&jivin etc.

Grace has some great points about him here starting at 8:50 in the video below.

Finally, there is no reason that the writers should not know what to do with him when he has so much about him that needs to be explored. I saw this from a fan on here:

Again, the problem is lack of development. Not his personality. For most of Geoff Johns's run Hal was a Mary Sue. Read Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night. Zero personality. He's only recently gotten one in the New 52. And you could switch out Hal in any one of those pre-Flashpoint stories with any other human lantern.

--

Anyhoo, being a strict military guy works for Captain America, Batman (to some extent), Cyclops, Cable, and a bunch of other characters, so I call BS. It's development. I can make John more interesting in one Comicvine Post than Johns has in the 10 years that he's been on Green Lantern. Just watch:

John Stewart wasn't actually a marine. He was only honorably discharged as one. In reality, he did covert missions for the United States Delta Force. He served with distinction. Silver Star. Bronze Star. Legion of Merit. Purple Heart. John has them all. By all accounts, John was a brilliant soldier and brilliant leader. He earned awards for shooting pistols and rifles. He's got training in unconventional warfare, underwater and above surface demolitions, air combat control, and combat instruction.

His family has a long history in the military. John was born and raised on bases abroad. His first trip to the United States was to attend West Point. While there, he made a name for himself as a boxer and as an excellent scholar. Four years later, he serves in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans, the Congo, and all across Latin America. His father fought in Vietnam. His older brother was also involved in special forces work until he lost his legs on a mission. His brother now works in the U.S. Treasury. His mother is a military surgeon.

The thing is, John had a habit of getting into trouble. He got into fights while standing up for fellow soldiers. He questioned leadership when it ran contrary to his beliefs. And on some missions, he got too close to his targets. In one case, he fell in love with a Mexican drug cartel leader's daughter. He tried to extricate her out of the organization after his mission went South, but she was killed. He feels responsible--because he is.

Worth noting is the fact that John served with Steve Trevor, Rex Mason, Rick Flagg, King Faraday, Sargeant Rock, and other DCU military heroes.

Due to John's extensive travel, he knows many languages, and he knows about many different cultures. But he doesn't feel at home anywhere. After requesting to resign from the military, he is honorably discharged, and the marine cover identity is given to him.

He travels the country righting wrongs for a few months. Eventually, he's drawn into a conflict involving the Green Lanterns on Earth, and he's recruited into the corps. He excels in space combat and diplomacy. He makes a name for himself as an incredible Green Lantern, but he still gets too close to the people he protects, and he still questions his superiors.

John is a workaholic because it distracts him from the fact that he feels most at home when he's not at home. He fits in with foreign cultures more than he fits in with his own. And the Green Lantern Corps needs bright lights like John Stewart now more than ever as the galaxy grows darker.

His love interests include: Katma Tui, his fellow corps member. Melani Tsai, his land lady and close friend on Earth. Fatality, a member of the star sapphires. Candy Johnson, his special forces contact with the CIA. Askari Asani, a princess on an alien world. And many others.

Personality: Think Jack Reacher meets Daniel Craig's Bond meets Captain America with some manly, Wolverine-type humor.

And I saw this in Wizard Magazine.

Just badass, man. John is a total badass and he's humble about it. He really reminds me of Denzel Washington in Man on Fire and Two Guns.

#128 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

i dunno

#129 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc jest prefers hal

#130 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

@skewer said:

It's a good thing Bruce timm realised his potential years ago. If only DC would do the same.

Bruce Timm realizes everyones potential, no joke

#131 Posted by Franchise1590 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

John Stewart is my fave.lantern with Kyle being a close 2nd.

Hal is a mary sue, anyone could play jis role. John is way more badass and Kyle is moreore relatable.

John is highly underrated and has amazing versatility as a character.

#132 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

@superdork: Not to mention in JLU, he's actually seen as the Head GL who went to war with Despero

#133 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not a lead. He has never been written as one and his character has never been developed fully. He is a utility player. His weakness is not serious or interesting, his strengths are not unique, his origin story is boring, he has no gimmick, his motivations are common. He is easily the least interesting of the 4 lanterns. He is not exciting, he is not fun, he is not unique. Until some writer takes on the challenge of giving his character something specific they can build on, he will stay where he belongs on the b-list with the other undeveloped characters. He is the hardest to write for, think about it;

Hal Jordan; test pilot, no fear, womanizer. Writers have endless examples to pull from

Guy Gardner; cop, hothead, egomaniac. Again, plenty to work with.

Kyle Rayner; COMIC BOOK ARTIST. He is what every comic book creator would do with a ring.

John Stewart; Architect.... How many great characters do writers have to pull from? None. What are they going to pull character elements from Fountainhead and Pillars of the Earth? Superman thinks like a journalist, Batman a detective, Wonder Woman the contradiction of female warrior, Hal a daredevil, Aquaman a king. But an Architect....

Sure maybe it can be done but it doesnt write itself. It's not like Iron Man who is a gadget maker. He makes buildings. There is a reason there have been so few books about Architects.

#134 Posted by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

He is not a lead. He has never been written as one and his character has never been developed fully. He is a utility player. His weakness is not serious or interesting, his strengths are not unique, his origin story is boring, he has no gimmick, his motivations are common. He is easily the least interesting of the 4 lanterns. He is not exciting, he is not fun, he is not unique. Until some writer takes on the challenge of giving his character something specific they can build on, he will stay where he belongs on the b-list with the other undeveloped characters. He is the hardest to write for, think about it;

Hal Jordan; test pilot, no fear, womanizer. Writers have endless examples to pull from

Guy Gardner; cop, hothead, egomaniac. Again, plenty to work with.

Kyle Rayner; COMIC BOOK ARTIST. He is what every comic book creator would do with a ring.

John Stewart; Architect.... How many great characters do writers have to pull from? None. What are they going to pull character elements from Fountainhead and Pillars of the Earth? Superman thinks like a journalist, Batman a detective, Wonder Woman the contradiction of female warrior, Hal a daredevil, Aquaman a king. But an Architect....

Sure maybe it can be done but it doesnt write itself. It's not like Iron Man who is a gadget maker. He makes buildings. There is a reason there have been so few books about Architects.

Except he was a lead in the Justice League cartoon and the main Green Lantern

Further:

First

Nrama: You mention humor and fun, and I know your Pinocchiotitle had quite a bit of humor. Is this Green Lantern Corps title going to have humor woven into it? With Guy, I could always see humor, but with John, it's got to be a little tougher, isn't it?

Jensen: There's definitely going to be humor. And the thing with John that I want to bring out is that he's a well-rounded person. He has a humorous side, he has a serious side, and he does have a fun side.

I think his character has not been painted as fully in the past as some other characters, so we really want to explore all the sides of him. And not just kind of leave him as that stern, good soldier type, but show him as being a lot more than that.

Second

Nrama: You've told us in the past that we'll also see Fatality, Kilowog, Salaak, Soranik Natu and a few others. What role does Fatality play in the book with John at the center? Is their relationship continuing?

Jensen: Fatality plays a pretty central role. [She and John] embarked upon this relationship in recent issues, and it's something that, for John, is going to be a bit of a struggle...

So the two of them, they're really trying to forge a relationship together, and Fatality is very much committed to that. But then on Fatality's side, she's a Star Sapphire, so she's very committed to love and a more peaceful existence. And being in the Green Lantern Corps doesn't exactly jibe well with an existence of love and peace. So there's some conflict there of Fatality not really supporting John continuing in his role with the Green Lanterns and the Corps.

Third

Van Jensen: John has an interesting background in that he's both an architect and has military experience. So he's uniquely suited, with his background, to playing a very key role in facing all the questions and uncertainty about rebuilding the Corps. There are a lot of questions about training the Corps, rebuilding the Corps. Even just thinking about what the mission of the Green Lanterns will be going forward, now that they aren't relying on the Guardians for guidance as much.

So through all of the big questions and uncertainty, John's going to provide some leadership going forward.

http://www.newsarama.com/17812-durlans-change-shape-of-green-lantern-corps-as-new-era-begins.html

#135 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: If you have to say he was "A" lead then he was not "THE" lead. Superman is THE lead of his show, Batman is THE lead of his show. If it's John and Guy (and Kilowog and Tomar-re etc...) than they are not the lead they are an ensemble. He's the good cop to Guy's bad cop. John Steward has never been the lead of that show. He couldn't have been, they never gave him the elements needed to be the lead. He is at best the leader of the ensemble when Hal is not around.

Your newsarama article says that same thing I said. He has never been developed to have the elements needed of a lead. Jensen claims he will develop them and make John Stewart into a lead. We will have to wait and see how it works out. It's going to be hard because he doesnt a fit a classic mold so it will take time and a really good writer to develop him logically and not become boring.

#136 Posted by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

@captain13: If you have to say he was "A" lead then he was not "THE" lead. Superman is THE lead of his show, Batman is THE lead of his show. If it's John and Guy (and Kilowog and Tomar-re etc...) than they are not the lead they are an ensemble. He's the good cop to Guy's bad cop. John Steward has never been the lead of that show. He couldn't have been, they never gave him the elements needed to be the lead. He is at best the leader of the ensemble when Hal is not around.

Actually since he was the main character of several episodes, meaning that the episode focused on him and he drove the plot, that means he was a lead character on the show. Would you like me to list the episodes he was the lead in? Or would you like me to point out that the GL side of the universe functioned just fine with John in the lead on that show?

#137 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't need you to do anything. You obviously don't know what it means to be the lead character and are just arguing semantics because you are buttsore because you didn't realize the article you posted says EXACTLY what I have been saying. He has never been fully developed. He has no clearly established characteristics or motivations. The writer acknowledges he will need to develop them if Stewart is to be the lead character of the book. I hope he does. Maybe it will help you understand the difference between the lead and the character an episode focused on.

#138 Edited by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711: The writer is talking about comics Stewart, not cartoon Stewart for one thing. And plenty of non-well developed characters become leads, then get development. Look at Miles Morales or Simon Baz, chief. Finally, if you're the lead of an episode then you're a lead. The original cartoon had seven leads. The Avengers movie had 5 leads. Do you even know the meaning of the word?

A leading actor, leading actress, star, or simply lead, plays the role of the protagonist in a film or play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_actor

There are only two types of characters: leading and supporting. John Stewart was a leading character in most episodes. But you are too "buttsore" to get that.

#139 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly, your definition proves my point as well. John Stewart does not fulfill the role of a protagonist. The protagonist is the character the audience most identifies with. He has never been a successful protagonist because he has no clearly identifiable characteristics. Simon Baz has been in 5 issues and he is already more fleshed out that Stewart. Stewart is a black architect that was once in the army... that's it. That is not a fleshed out character that the audience can identify with. You obviously must be either black or an architect or a soldier. But judging from how dull you seem to be I assume you are not an architect and I can't imagine a soldier would cry through this entire thread because people dont love his favorite comic book character. Most of us like a character that we share more in common with than just their skin color. But I guess you are just simple like that. In which case, might I suggest Christopher Priests Black Panther. So, you can finally see what a well developed superhero character looks like. Maybe the new writer will develop him into a real character with an interesting origin, clearly established flaws & weaknesses and personal idiosyncrasies the audience can identify with. Otherwise Steward will stay the dull b-list lantern that fills in if Hal is doing something more important and spends the rest of his time as the Danny Glover to Guy's Mel Gibson. Otherwise, the book will get cancelled or they will have to bring in a character the audience can identify with. ...and you will cry about it and insist people HATE him. Boo-Hoo.

I have seen an episode of the Simpson where Maggie was the focal character but that doesn't mean she is really the lead. And it certainly doesn't mean the character can be the lead of her own show or that Fox HATES her for not giving her a spin-off. It just means anyone that insists she is is being an idiot.

#140 Edited by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

Exactly, your definition proves my point as well. John Stewart does not play the role of the protagonist. That is the character the audience most identifies with. He has never been a successful protagonist because he has no clearly identifiable characteristics. Simon Baz has been in 5 issues and he is already more fleshed out that Stewart. Stewart is a black architect that was once in the army. You obviously must be either black or an architect or a soldier. But judging from how dull you seem to be I assume you are not an architect and I can't imagine a soldier would cry through this entire thread because people dont love favorite his funny book character. Most of us like a character that we share more in common with than just their skin color. But I guess you are just simple like that. In which case, might I suggest Christopher Priests Black Panther. So, you can finally see what a well developed superhero character looks like. Maybe the new writer will develop him into a real character with an interesting origin, clearly established flaws & weaknesses and personal idiosyncrasies the audience can identify with. Otherwise Steward will stay the dull b-list lantern that fills in if Hal is doing something more important and spends the rest of his time as the Danny Glover to Guy's Mel Gibson. Otherwise, the book will get cancelled or they will have to bring in a character the audience can identify with. ...and you will cry about it and insist people HATE him. Boo-Hoo.

You don't know how ignorant you sound making all of those assumptions. Try picking up a Green Lantern book before Geoff Johns wrote him. Stewart was the GL headliner/main character in the mid 1980s and he was the star of Green Lantern: Mosaic. Soon he will be the star of Green Lantern Corps.

You can find an in depth history of his exploits here.

You'll probably be surprised about how well developed he is since you only read Johns stuff which is a shi**y run for all these reasons and more.

FYI, I'm an environmental engineering student. I'm 3/4 white. I have never been a vet, though my father and grandfather are. And John Stewart, the marine, makes the most sense as the central human GL to me because he is the soldier who does what is right and what is best for the corps. In any military Hal would be kicked out (and he was). Guy is too much of a loose canon and show boater. While Kyle is very likable, he is not as experienced as John or as good a leader in heavy situations. And Baz is a ripoff of Kyle in terms of personality.

And if you're looking for book suggestions, pick up Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. But since you think someone can only identify with a character due to race, then maybe it's a waste of time, kiddo.

P.S. Van Jensen, the next writer of GLC is setting out to prove you wrong about John. Egg on your face.

P.P.S. I like how you think Baz is more developed because DC gave him like 5 issues. SMH. I guess that's all it takes. Too bad DC hates John.

P.P.P.S. I won't respond to your future comments on this thread because I'm guessing you're a troll.

P.P.P.P.S. Despite nearly zero use in the comics, John is definitely still more popular than Kyle, Guy, Baz, Sinestro, etc. That says something to me.

P.P.P.P.P.S. Good night.

#141 Edited by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

Pointless arguments, I see here.

But then at the same time, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to his status as lead character in the GLC book. I know DC. I'm about to give up on them completely soon.

#142 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing before Geoff Johns started writing carries over into Green Lantern. Now you are just pulling things from the bronze age out of your @$$ to keep from having to admit John Stewart is an undeveloped character that did NOTHING of great interest in 7 years worth of stories other than kill another Green Lantern. In every other story that still exists in this DCU John Stewart has contributed ZERO. This is a comic book not a government job where people get promoted for being there longest. He is a boring character. In this entire thread you have defended him but never once answered anyones question. What is his weakness? What are his character flaws? What is his motivation? What is his personal conflict? What is his backstory? Why does he even have the ring? If you love this character so much what are they and why do they make him more interesting than the other lanterns to you. But you can't without going back to the bronze age because Geoff Johns has never answered any of those questions. So just admit you are simple and only like him because he is black and are buttsore to see another black character get ignored by DC writers. "Black charcters vs. DC writers" is an interesting conversation but not you obtusely insisting one of the most boring characters in the DCU is not boring.

and as far as this quote of yours "Despite nearly zero use in the comics, John is definitely still more popular than Kyle, Guy, Baz, Sinestro, etc. That says something to me." It says you are drunk. Stop embarrassing yourself.

#143 Edited by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

Nothing before Geoff Johns started writing carries over into Green Lantern. Now you are just pulling things from the bronze age out of your @$$ to keep from having to admit John Stewart is an undeveloped character that did NOTHING of great interest in 7 years worth of stories other than kill another Green Lantern. In every other story that still exists in this DCU John Stewart has contributed ZERO. This is a comic book not a government job where people get promoted for being there longest. He is a boring character. In this entire thread you have defended him but never once answered anyones question. What is his weakness? What are his character flaws? What is his motivation? What is his personal conflict? What is his backstory? Why does he even have the ring? If you love this character so much what are they and why do they make him more interesting than the other lanterns to you. But you can't without going back to the bronze age because Geoff Johns has never answered any of those questions. So just admit you are simple and only like him because he is black and are buttsore to see another black character get ignored by DC writers. "Black charcters vs. DC writers" is an interesting conversation but you obtusely insisting one of the most boring characters in the DCU is not boring is just boring. You are boring. Why are you boring everyone. Stop being so boring.

Fail. A writer choosing not to use a character=/= a boring character. Hal Jordan was not used for the decade Kyle was the main GL, but look how that turned out. You're ready to jump on his and GJ's di**s. If all you need to do to make a character interesting is use him/her, then John will be used next month in GLC, so is that going to keep you quiet? John is fictional. He did not make any decisions (including how much he is used). If you can't figure that out... wow. And without the GL stuff before Johns there would be no franchise. SMH,=. Logging out because you're ill equipped to move this conversation forward...

http://www.comicvine.com/john-stewart/4005-10451/forums/the-history-of-john-stewart-exposed-1460654/#3

And you gave away your troll status by over doing it at the end, amateur.

#144 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio
@captain13 said:

P.P.P.S. I won't respond to your future comments on this thread because I'm guessing you're a troll.

P.P.P.P.P.S. Good night.

Well, that took all of 10 minutes. You really are drunk. None of that makes sense. As I said, only Geoff Johns run carries over. So whatever you are babbling about Kyle and me not being on GLs d!ck as much as you clearly are is just really moronic. You really are embarrassing. As far as your hopes for this new GLCorps the writer is a nobody. The odds that he will be able to do what no other DC writer has been able to do in over a decade, make John Stewart not boring, is a real longshot. But cheer up, you can always take a brown crayola to Geoff Johns' Hal Jordon run and if you can stay within the lines, it will be all you are really looking for in a Green Lantern. There is nothing wrong with liking this Green Lantern because he is black and wish DC would give him some love. But instead you idiotically insist the most boring character in DC for nearly a decade deserves more attention and then get all buttsore every time someone posts that they disagree. So, why bother post the thread in the first place if you are just going to cry when people respond?

#145 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio
#146 Posted by Reaperzero420 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: umm i tired hear of ur complain about rasict , let me tell sumthing truth... dc worker n ppl nothing do with color skin but hal jordan is so popluar origin comic but john stwart is seem fairly main character to okay but bit so boring n not fit as in comic that it

#147 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12516 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: umm i tired hear of ur complain about rasict , let me tell sumthing truth... dc worker n ppl nothing do with color skin but hal jordan is so popluar origin comic but john stwart is seem fairly main character to okay but bit so boring n not fit as in comic that it

i have no idea what the hell you're saying.

#148 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad that John, as well as the rest of the guys, will get their time in the sun with each getting their own book. Even Simon is in JLA. But hes a newb so probably after he puts some time in he'll make the corps book. Is it too late for Baz to ditch the Kick-Ass attire?

#149 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaperzero420 said:

i have no idea what the hell you're saying.

I also have no idea what the hell you're saying.

#150 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.