Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1833 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Well is John Stewart the second strongest Green Lantern?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YoungGunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By YoungGunna

if not first

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By karrob

IMO he's tied with Guy @ #2. Kyle and Hal are like top tier ring slingers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Outside_85

Currently i'd say Gathet takes the first place. 

However its hard to say who is stronger since they all have the same ring.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Nah.  

Guy has so much willpower his ring sparks even when he's not using it.  
    Kyle's got more imagination than all the others, and the willpower to back it. 
    Hal's got the most experience.  

John's got the will, but that's really ALL he has. His Earth battle experience is helpful, but Earth battles aren't the same as space battles. 

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By velle37
    @Icarusflies said:
    "Nah.   Guy has so much willpower his ring sparks even when he's not using it.  Kyle's got more imagination than all the others, and the willpower to back it. Hal's got the most experience.   John's got the will, but that's really ALL he has. His Earth battle experience is helpful, but Earth battles aren't the same as space battles.  "

John has more experience than Guy. He also has been in many space battles. John's actually the only GL to be in a battle completely outnumbered by Black Lanterns and survive (fought an entire planet of them alone), other than Mogo (who of course anihilated the Black lanterns due to his ability to exponentially increase his gravitational pull). John's constructs are noted be incredibly solid. He has even maxed out the rings capabilities with his willpower. Idk why you think so lowly of him.
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By velle37
    @Outside_85 said:
    "Currently i'd say Gathet takes the first place.  However its hard to say who is stronger since they all have the same ring. "

I think Ganthet's ring is different from theirs. It looks different, and Ganthet forged it himself.  

Also Kyle's ring is noted to be different since its creation (no time limit, no initial yellow weakness). Then Kyle made it even more different as Ion when he made adjustments to it, to make it uniquely his own (always reserve energy, always comes back to him).
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

I think Hal is one, Kyle is 2, after that IDk

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @hydrabob said:
    " I think Hal is one, Kyle is 2, after that IDk "
    Hal is written to be number one, we're explicitly told he's number one, he's hasn't really proved it though. I think Kyle has better feats of willpower than Hal.
    In my opinion:
    Kyle 
    Hal
    John, the whole only lantern to make solid objects is pretty amazing
    Killawog
    The squirrel lantern
    Sodam Yat(Mostly because I hate him)
    Unnamed lantern 145
    Guy Gardner.
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By hydrabob--defunct
    @TheCrowbar:  love your respect for Guy, I really know who is best I've just started reading about the Lanterns
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @hydrabob said:
    " @TheCrowbar:  love your respect for Guy, I really know who is best I've just started reading about the Lanterns "
    I'm really rigid with Green Lanterns just because of how willpower is more represented as a pseudo-mystical force than an actual character attribute. Going villainous or allowing your rage to take over is not a feat of willpower.
    TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheThe

John is not  the 2nd strongest ,he"s the first.But they wont let him because they are afraid of the fanbase.I think tDC wont make him the number one because a lot of readers are not used to see a black character rules the GLC.That's why John was always seen as Hal minion and side character.

But if you look deeper,it's stupid because everything on him cries"Best potential for greatest lantern".If you think logically,John has to be the greatest Green Lantern : His willpower excedeed the ring,thats means his imagination,creativity and skills are beyond the limits of the ring.Also,he is a former architect. And what's the point of the lanterns again ? To construct objects.So,John creation are the most durable,solid and with the best capacities,because he was trained to that,it was is work.How can a architect be outmatched in his own domain ? That's make no sense at all.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @TheThe said:
    " John is not  the 2nd strongest ,he"s the first.But they wont let him because they are afraid of the fanbase.I think tDC wont make him the number one because a lot of readers are not used to see a black character rules the GLC.That's why John was always seen as Hal minion and side character.But if you look deeper,it's stupid because everything on him cries"Best potential for greatest lantern".If you think logically,John has to be the greatest Green Lantern : His willpower excedeed the ring,thats means his imagination,creativity and skills are beyond the limits of the ring.Also,he is a former architect. And what's the point of the lanterns again ? To construct objects.So,John creation are the most durable,solid and with the best capacities,because he was trained to that,it was is work.How can a architect be outmatched in his own domain ? That's make no sense at all. "
    What?

Kyle is number one, only Geoff Johns thinks Hal is number one, and the people who started reading GL at V4. Kyle has the best feats, Kyle restored the Corps, Kyle is the Torchbearer, and Kyle is number one. Race has nothing to do with it.
    TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheThe
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @TheThe said:
    " John is not  the 2nd strongest ,he"s the first.But they wont let him because they are afraid of the fanbase.I think tDC wont make him the number one because a lot of readers are not used to see a black character rules the GLC.That's why John was always seen as Hal minion and side character.But if you look deeper,it's stupid because everything on him cries"Best potential for greatest lantern".If you think logically,John has to be the greatest Green Lantern : His willpower excedeed the ring,thats means his imagination,creativity and skills are beyond the limits of the ring.Also,he is a former architect. And what's the point of the lanterns again ? To construct objects.So,John creation are the most durable,solid and with the best capacities,because he was trained to that,it was is work.How can a architect be outmatched in his own domain ? That's make no sense at all. "
    What? Kyle is number one, only Geoff Johns thinks Hal is number one, and the people who started reading GL at V4. Kyle has the best feats, Kyle restored the Corps, Kyle is the Torchbearer, and Kyle is number one. Race has nothing to do with it. "
    Not in my book. Kyle is number 2 too me.We dont even  know what John is really capable of,because they never gave him any chance at anything.He was NEVER developped like Kyle or Hal were.
    The writers wanted them to be "THE" green lanterns,that's all. If they gave those 3 a equal treatment,John would have clearly slaughter them.They create him to have much more diversity in the human corps.You know Lanterns is an outerspace corps,with aliens from different planets.If the ring  choosed constantly a regular white hero,that wouldnt be a good image for "DC".That's explain why Kyle is 25% latino and why John is black. I just say that ,in my opinion a lot of readers dont relate to John,because the writers depicted him as one dimensional : he is the black green lantern,that's all.They never tried to digg a little more in his character.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.