Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

John Stewart's New Origin & Birth Prophecy

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Did you know that John Stewart got a badass new origin in Secret Origins #9? If you missed it, then let me show you why it's so dang awesome. :D

No Caption Provided

Secret Origins #9

The story opens with the Guardians of the Universe discussing John's history. They start by examining John during his teenage years, while he engages in peaceful social protest alongside his mother Shirley Stewart, a social activist. The two manage to keep their cool despite the violent tactics used by the police.

No Caption Provided

This scene is meant to establish that John is willing to stand up to authority, that John is socially conscious, and that John is committed to nonviolent, direct action. It's also a callback to John's original introduction.

The Guardians then examine John's experience in the United States Marines.

As you can see in the panels above, John joins the Marine Corps to serve his country, to see the world, and to pay for college. John excels in military life, becoming a sniper. He eventually receives an honorable discharge despite being court marshaled for disobeying orders and standing up to his superior officer, who was willing to put innocent lives at risk.* Some of the Guardians worry that if John is selected for the Green Lantern Corps, he will be too emotional or too quick to challenge authority. This scene is meant to establish John's commitment to saving life and willingness to stand up to authority.

*Note - This story is more fleshed out in Green Lantern Corps #25, which is set during the Batman: Zero Year event.

The Guardians then turn to John's life as an architect. As in his military career, John excels. Carol Ferris hires him to build Ferris Air from the ground up, which is a callback to a 1980s story in which John helped to rebuild Ferris Air.

No Caption Provided

The Guardians of the Universe are deeply intrigued by John's status as both a "destroyer and builder," which is a callback to Green Lantern Mosaic #17--further discussed below. The Guardians unanimously agree that John should be selected for service in the Green Lantern Corps, which establishes that John wasn't chosen just because he is close by. The Guardians believe that the Corps needs John.

Of course nothing comes easy, and the Guardians decide to test John before admitting him into the Green Lantern Corps. They do so by sending a Manhunter to attack him at Ferris Air.

John stands up to the Manhunter to save Carol Ferris, even though doing so puts him in considerable danger. It's worth noting that in the midst of all this, John retains his sense of humor.

As a result of his heroic deed, John is rewarded with a Green Lantern power ring that seemingly appears out of nowhere. The Guardians' interest in John and the absence of any other Green Lanterns indicates that John was never a back up Green Lantern in the current continuity.

After battling the Manhunter across Ferris Air despite having no formal training, John exploits the Manhunter's weakness with his clever thinking to pull off a win--a recurring theme with the character.

John is then summoned to Oa for training under Kilowog's tutelage and to meet the Guardians personally. The Guardians tell John why he was chosen above all others.

Behind closed doors, the Guardians discuss their optimism about John but they remain worried that he will challenge them. The Guardians resolve to keep their involvement in John's origin secret.

I would definitely recommend picking up Secret Origins #9 to see the parts of John's origin that I glossed over. I really enjoyed the John Stewart segment in the issue, and I would love to see it expanded on--which brings us to Green Lantern Mosaic #17.

--

No Caption Provided

Green Lantern Mosaic #17

In this issue, Hal Jordan discovers that John's birth was prophesied by the Malthusians--the race from which the Guardians of the Universe sprouted. The Guardians--and many others--believe that John Stewart is the "Opener of Doors," a legendary hero destined to guide the universe toward a brighter future.

The parallels between this story and John's current origin are immediately apparent. And, in a property so heavily entrenched in prophecies like the War of Light and the Blackest Night, it's great to see that the prophesy surrounding John's birth is being expounded upon. I can't wait to see where things go from here!

--

For more on why John Stewart is awesome, check out my comparative analysis of John Stewart and Jon Snow. (Note that there are spoilers.)

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MeanAndGreen

This is SO awesome. Jensen REALLY did his research. I can't wait to see where this goes, and I wouldn't mind seeing this origin in longer format. :)

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Another great, well written and reasoned article, Captain. I really enjoyed how much Jensen honored continuity that has not been mentioned at all in recent years, like John working at Ferris Air, and the Guardians choosing him directly. I hope more stuff about him being prophesied comes up in future stories. The writers really need to reference Mosaic more.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@desh said:

Another great, well written and reasoned article, Captain. I really enjoyed how much Jensen honored continuity that has not been mentioned at all in recent years, like John working at Ferris Air, and the Guardians choosing him directly. I hope more stuff about him being prophesied comes up in future stories. The writers really need to reference Mosaic more.

Definitely! After thinking about it some more, the social activist portion of John's origin sort of reminds me of this scene on Justice League:

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.