Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

John Stewart's First Fight as a Green Lantern

• 60 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

For many, John Stewart is the first Green Lantern they ever saw. When the Justice League animated series debuted, in 2001, John Stewart was the Green Lantern first introduced to those new to the DC Universe. Comic readers are aware that Hal Jordan became the first Green Lantern from Earth in 1959 with John making his debut in 1971's GREEN LANTERN #87.

As a Lantern, Jordan had fought many different threats but John Stewart introduced him to a different kind of danger.

No Caption Provided

Hal Jordan and the Guardians of the Universe were about to appoint an alternate Green Lantern on Earth. When an Earthquake struck, Guy Gardner was injured saving a child and would be in recovery for at least six months. The Guardians then directed towards their next choice--John Stewart.

Seeing John having a discussion with some police officers who were harassing a couple kids from the neighborhood, Hal had his doubts over their selection.

No Caption Provided

Hal's concern was over John's attitude and if he could keep it in check while having a Power Ring. With hesitation, he followed the Guardians' judgement and offered John the job. John was willing to accept it since, "...jobs aren't exactly plentiful for black architects in the Land of the Free these days..."

Hal took John to a secluded area to give him a crash course in using the power and teaching him the Green Lantern Oath.

No Caption Provided

John immediately decided he wouldn't wear a mask with his costume and has stuck with that decision over the years.

Hal and John eventually found themselves flying by the airport. There was a big crowd as they figured a "celebrity" must be landing. It turned out to be a senator that was running for President.

When a fuel truck went out of control and headed towards the crowd and Senator, the two Lanterns saved them but due to John's "carelessness," some oil got on the Senator's face. Hal was mad because it clearly wasn't an accident. John told Hal that the Senator was a major racist.

No Caption Provided

The fact that the Senator may or may not be a racist wasn't a concern of Hal's. After all, he didn't have a lot of experience with racism himself. To try to teach John a lesson, Hal told him he'd be guarding the Senator that evening at a rally.

During his speech, the Senator was shot by a black man who yelled out, "You'll die for your lies!" Hal and John witnessed this and Hal ordered John to move after the shooter. John refused, saying he was leaving.

This was the last straw for Hal. He caught the shooter but it turned out there was another shooter outside. That's where John went. It turned out the shooter that Hal caught had blanks in his gun. The one outside was about to shoot a police officer from behind. John had seen the two men with the Senator at the airport. It was all part of a trick to make it look like "...the blacks [were] on a rampage."

No Caption Provided

In all of this, Hal (and readers) learned a lesson. Racism was a problem and John was a better man than Hal gave him credit for.

It seems John didn't put on the ring for some time. After a few more issues, the GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW series went on a four-year hiatus with the two appearing in the second half of issues of THE FLASH. The GREEN LANTERN series later returned in 1976 with John being called into action by Black Canary, of all people in GREEN LANTERN #94, when Hal had become injured.

No Caption Provided

John had a few more appearances but when Hal decided to quit the Corps in GREEN LANTERN #181, the Guardians appointed John as his full replacement. John has continued as a Green Lantern, becoming one of the greatest Lanterns the Corps has known.

As John Stewart is the Character of the Month here for February, be on the look out for more articles and features on the character some would argue is the best Green Lantern there is.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman

Imagine if his character was still like that........

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Good to see John getting a little love.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Human Green Lanterns just aren't very interesting sadly.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Ah, the 70's. When no-nonsense guys like John Stewart & Blade were saying things like "can you dig it?"

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

John sort of sounds like a caricature at times.

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This Black Man lets it all hang out!"

I love it.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty deep. Hats off to dc for tackling this storyline

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Misterwizz

I like John's first appearance, but I'm glad writers built on his character so he didn't just turn into a sterotypcial angry black man. He went through a lot of change and that definitely made interesting and better as a character.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like John's first appearance, but I'm glad writers built on his character so he didn't just turn into a sterotypcial angry black man. He went through a lot of change and that definitely made interesting and better for as a character.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rageex2 said:

@misterwizz said:

I like John's first appearance, but I'm glad writers built on his character so he didn't just turn into a stereotypical angry black man. He went through a lot of change and that definitely made interesting and better for as a character.

I think it's time for the angry black man to make a come back! He does have a lot to be angry about recently.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Ah, the 70's. When no-nonsense guys like John Stewart & Blade were saying things like "can you dig it?"

I love it.

This is pretty deep. Hats off to dc for tackling this storyline

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By vinomonster

@ostyo said:

Human Green Lanterns just aren't very interesting sadly.

No Caption Provided

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain13

Here is the story behind the story for those who haven't heard it:

Loading Video...

Bruce Timm on the Mask:

Bruce Timm on Green Lantern’s design: “John Stewart was the one Green Lantern in the comic book continuity who never, ever wore a mask […] most of the Green Lanterns wore a little domino mask. So, he was the first Green Lantern to say, ‘No, forget it, I’m not wearing a mask. You know, I’m not ashamed to be a Green Lantern; I’m not ashamed of being John Stewart,' so we thought that was a really important part of the John Stewart version of Green Lantern. But, just purely for visual sake, we thought we needed to give him some kind of visual gimmick for his close-ups, so we came up with the idea that he’s been a Green Lantern for so long that the energy of the Green Lantern has kind of infused his entire being, so that it’s even in his bloodstream and it glows out of his eyes and it certainly makes an interesting visual (courtesy of Justice League: Justice on Trial DVD).”

Bruce Timm on John's Personality:

“One of the things we really wanted to avoid was having a group of characters who were all pretty much interchangeable. Going back and rereading a lot of the Silver Age Justice League comics, they really are all the same character—Batman [had] no different a voice than Superman or Flash. They’re all kind of the same character; the only thing that differentiates them is what colors they’re wearing and what powers they have. So we really wanted to make sure they had a much more interesting group dynamic than that and that they all had different personalities. Going back to the original version of John Stewart from Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams’ day, the thing that made him interesting to us was that he was quite a bit more of a badass. If you go back and read those, he comes across as a stereotypical, angry, young black man. We knew we didn’t want to do that exactly, but we still wanted to keep a little bit of that edge to him so that he would be one of the more strident of the characters. We hit upon the idea of the Green Lanterns being kind of a paramilitary force, so we said, ‘Ah, marine. Okay, Louis Gossett Jr., Samuel Jackson.’ So that became our take on him (courtesy of Modern Masters: Bruce Timm).”

Phil LaMarr on the addition of John's Marine background:

“In my mind, the John Stewart on Justice League [still] the [character created by Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams]; he just has gone through a military life as well. I think he is a little older, but he still has that level of energy. He suffers no fools and he’s still very no-nonsense, but he’s also a little tempered. This is also a different time, too. The social wounds aren’t as raw, so the anger is not as present (courtesy of Back Issue Magazine).”

http://jl.toonzone.net/lantern/lantern.htm

Thanks for the article @g_man! It's great to see John get such an awesome homecoming. :-)

Loading Video...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Captain13

@amazingwebhead said:

Loading Video...

Human_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Stewart is one of the most powerful human green lanter. After Hal Jordan but in some cases John would beat Hal

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain13
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

@dernman said:

No Caption Provided

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJ_Was_Here

I say "can you dig it?" all the time. Actually, I shorten it to "dig it?" but really that's neither here nor there. Then again, I'm super old.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead said:

I say "can you dig it?" all the time. Actually, I shorten it to "dig it?" but really that's neither here nor there. Then again, I'm super old.

I say 'ya dig?' from time to time, i'm not super old......

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Cool, never see his origin before

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can dig it. :)

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, never see his origin before

He actually has a new one, as well as a prophecy surrounding his birth. I hope those are covered as well. :-)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@jj_was_here said:

@amazingwebhead said:

I say 'ya dig?' from time to time, i'm not super old......

Fair enough

TomHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TomHunter

My first exposure to John was when Hal fell in the tub and knocked himself out while showering in an issue of JLA (somewhere around 115).

John Stewart has been my favorite GL since he took the lead in the Green Lantern series for several issues years ago. The tweaks to the character for the animated series of JL only made the character stronger.

John Stewart - not Hal Jordan - deserves to be the GL in the upcoming JLA film!!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting origin. I do however prefer John's modern look over the 70's version.

lancescott70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only argument with this article is that Hal Jordan was not the first Green Lantern, he was the first associated with the Oan's and the Green Lantern Corp but not the first. Alan Scott was the first Green Lantern with a completely different back story and power origin from an alternate Earth. His ring and Lantern were magically powered with different weaknesses and strengths. Costume was very different he was part of the Justice Society with the Original Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Flash and many others. They were set in the 1930's and 40's.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Captain13

@lancescott70 said:

My only argument with this article is that Hal Jordan was not the first Green Lantern, he was the first associated with the Oan's and the Green Lantern Corp but not the first. Alan Scott was the first Green Lantern with a completely different back story and power origin from an alternate Earth. His ring and Lantern were magically powered with different weaknesses and strengths. Costume was very different he was part of the Justice Society with the Original Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Flash and many others. They were set in the 1930's and 40's.

I was thinking the same thing, but I thought people would say I'm splitting hairs.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Pretty cool article. I can dig it!

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lancescott70 said:

I was thinking the same thing, but I thought people would say I'm splitting hairs.

You'd be correct. But I think we need to differentiate between Green Lantern, the super-hero (Alan) and Green Lantern, the para-military organization (Hal, Guy, John, Kyle & Simon).

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 said:

@lancescott70 said:

You'd be correct. But I think we need to differentiate between Green Lantern, the super-hero (Alan) and Green Lantern, the para-military organization (Hal, Guy, John, Kyle & Simon).

Yea, we do needa differentiate them, but I don't think Super Hero and Para Military orginization are very good categories... I mean, I consider Hal, John, Guy, etc. "Super heroes" as well...

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm I the only one weirded out by the fact that John is physically putting on his costume? I never read the super early GL stories so I assumed that the costume was always created by the ring as a construct.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm I the only one weirded out by the fact that John is physically putting on his costume? I never read the super early GL stories so I assumed that the costume was always created by the ring as a construct.

Yeah, all the GLs used to put on their costumes like that in the early days. The construct costumes are a step up.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sbyrstall

@kingwillie said:

@sbyrstall said:

@captain13 said:

@lancescott70 said:

Yea, we do needa differentiate them, but I don't think Super Hero and Para Military orginization are very good categories... I mean, I consider Hal, John, Guy, etc. "Super heroes" as well...

We need to watch the articles. Yes, they are all super-heroes in their own right. But Hal, John, Guy, etc. are A Green Lantern. Alan was THE Green Lantern.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Even though I haven't read his origin story (thanks for the effort, btw), why did I get the feeling that this is going to have something to do with racism?.....

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Captain13

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

Even though I haven't read his origin story (thanks for the effort, btw), why did I get the feeling that this is going to have something to do with racism?.....

Because of the time period?

Don't worry, he has a new, modern origin.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Hellllllllllllll yeah John Stewart MY BOY!!!!

~MiB

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JuanHDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JuanHDZ

Green Lantern V3 #015

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real comment I have for this is thank god he changed up his look later on. That suit just doesn't work well for him, not to mention the hair.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.