Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

John Stewart has had the most inconsistent character run

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VampireSelektor

I'm behind on my homework, so I'll make this quick:

What character starts off as a furiously intelligent, out-of-work architect, ascends to the status of Green Lantern, ascends to the status of Guardian, enjoys a unique run on a popular animated series, and then plays bland, tortured second fiddle to his three other counterparts? John possesses a unique feel for his ring, and his skills as a diplomat and tactician are increasingly sidelined to make Hal look more competent than he deserves in-story. Bland, here, refers to Johns' characterization consuming the near-useless attributes acquired in the series (what has becoming a Marine really done for the character?) along with rehashing the same traumas. How many planets does John have to kill before an interesting plot comes his way? And its these plot points, and not his Guardian tenure or his more creative uses of the power ring a la the Silver Age, that are recycled every odd number of issues. Kyle was Ion. People remember he was Ion, and it's been referenced his Rebirth, and now he works as the Green Lantern representative in the New Guardians. Guy has enjoyed prominence as the "rebel" of the four 2814 Lanterns. And yet, John, a former GUARDIAN, still defers to Hal for some reason. What about that time Hal started a fight over a girl that decided to date John instead? What about the time Hal let his fear make vulnerable to Parallax? Johns rewards Hal for little aside his status as first Green Lantern of the Silver Age. This leaves John left to play stock "supporting, logical-if-boring black guy". His most interesting role in the last year was as a diplomat teasing Braniac 2 in "L.E.G.I.O.N". It would be nice if DC could find a writer genuinely interested in writing the character as opposed to planting him in stale stories. PLEASE, ANYONE!

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@VampireSelektor said:

What character starts off as a furiously intelligent, out-of-work architect, ascends to the status of Green Lantern, ascends to the status of Guardian, enjoys a unique run on a popular animated series, and then plays bland, tortured second fiddle to his three other counterparts? John possesses a unique feel for his ring, and his skills as a diplomat and tactician are increasingly sidelined to make Hal look more competent than he deserves in-story. Bland, here, refers to Johns' characterization consuming the near-useless attributes acquired in the series (what has becoming a Marine really done for the character?) along with rehashing the same traumas. How many planets does John have to kill before an interesting plot comes his way? And its these plot points, and not his Guardian tenure or his more creative uses of the power ring a la the Silver Age, that are recycled every odd number of issues. Kyle was Ion. People remember he was Ion, and it's been referenced his Rebirth, and now he works as the Green Lantern representative in the New Guardians. Guy has enjoyed prominence as the "rebel" of the four 2814 Lanterns. And yet, John, a former GUARDIAN, still defers to Hal for some reason. What about that time Hal started a fight over a girl that decided to date John instead? What about the time Hal let his fear make vulnerable to Parallax? Johns rewards Hal for little aside his status as first Green Lantern of the Silver Age. This leaves John left to play stock "supporting, logical-if-boring black guy". His most interesting role in the last year was as a diplomat teasing Braniac 5 in "L.E.G.I.O.N". It would be nice if DC could find a writer genuinely interested in writing the character as supposed to planting him in stale stories. PLEASE, ANYONE!

I agree with everything you'e said. My first exposure to the GL was during that of the Justice Leagues 's cartoon run and I became immediately interested in his character so when i hear people say Hal is the strongest GL of all time I sit back and think what exactly makes him that way. John has been given a lackluster seat behind Hal first and now even behind Sinestro as well. Poor John maybe one day he'll get someone who actually gives him the run he deserves.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

Because of the JL cartoon he had the potential to be the most successful Lantern of all.But DC dosen't give a crap about him

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By daredevil21134

@VampireSelektor said:

What character starts off as a furiously intelligent, out-of-work architect, ascends to the status of Green Lantern, ascends to the status of Guardian, enjoys a unique run on a popular animated series, and then plays bland, tortured second fiddle to his three other counterparts? John possesses a unique feel for his ring, and his skills as a diplomat and tactician are increasingly sidelined to make Hal look more competent than he deserves in-story. Bland, here, refers to Johns' characterization consuming the near-useless attributes acquired in the series (what has becoming a Marine really done for the character?) along with rehashing the same traumas. How many planets does John have to kill before an interesting plot comes his way? And its these plot points, and not his Guardian tenure or his more creative uses of the power ring a la the Silver Age, that are recycled every odd number of issues. Kyle was Ion. People remember he was Ion, and it's been referenced his Rebirth, and now he works as the Green Lantern representative in the New Guardians. Guy has enjoyed prominence as the "rebel" of the four 2814 Lanterns. And yet, John, a former GUARDIAN, still defers to Hal for some reason. What about that time Hal started a fight over a girl that decided to date John instead? What about the time Hal let his fear make vulnerable to Parallax? Johns rewards Hal for little aside his status as first Green Lantern of the Silver Age. This leaves John left to play stock "supporting, logical-if-boring black guy". His most interesting role in the last year was as a diplomat teasing Braniac 5 in "L.E.G.I.O.N". It would be nice if DC could find a writer genuinely interested in writing the character as supposed to planting him in stale stories. PLEASE, ANYONE!

Great Post

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VampireSelektor

@daredevil21134: Thank you

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

get over it

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Boo freakin hoo. All the other Earth lanterns had the reps warned for years to Make Hal look stupid and weak because the writers chose gimmickry over character development. It's about time fans of the other Lanterns know what it feels like to have your beloved character decay in front of you.

Avatar image for lightningtiger2190
    LightningTiger2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I believe it is because he is black and has the same exact move set as the first Green Lantern(who happens to be Johns' favorite). I firmly think the new 52 should give him a new back story. I would make the following changes:

- He is no longer an architect but an engineer. Architects don't always no the physics behind the stuff they design. John's construct show unusual knowledge of the inner working of machinery.

- De-age him to be older than Kyle but younger than Hal and Guy.

- He became a marine because he was granted a scholarship for college if he served. He grew to like it in a way but never gave up his passion.

- He gains his ring by surviving a failed mission and not giving up info about the U.S military. Because he refuse to give up information, members of his squad are killed. The ring chooses him based on this will. He is recognized as the lantern who makes the "Hard Decisions". It will also set up him causing the deaths of his comrades as a reoccurring theme and how he deals with it.

- Because He makes the hard decisions he is willing to use lethal force but only as a last resort(something to compare him to Sinestro).

- Unlike the other lanterns he has gone through CQC and armed combat. Have him make use of it regularly. Don't turn him into batman or anything but he Knows how to fight and use a weapon.

- Give his uniform something more personal. Have it redesign to be more militaristic.

-Have his eyes glow green while using powers and have his pupils be permanently green from exposure to the ring for some "mysterious reason".

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Kallarkz

@LightningTiger2190 said:

Honestly, I believe it is because he is black and has the same exact move set as the first Green Lantern(who happens to be Johns' favorite). I firmly think the new 52 should give him a new back story. I would make the following changes:

- He is no longer an architect but an engineer. Architects don't always no the physics behind the stuff they design. John's construct show unusual knowledge of the inner working of machinery.

- He became a marine because he was granted a scholarship for college if he served. He grew to like it in a way but never gave up his passion.

- He gains his ring by surviving a failed mission and not giving up info about the U.S military. Because he refuse to give up information, members of his squad are killed. The ring chooses him based on this will. He is recognized as the lantern who makes the "Hard Decisions". It will also set up him causing the deaths of his comrades as a reoccurring theme and how he deals with it.

- Because He makes the hard decisions he is willing to use lethal force but only as a last resort(something to compare him to Sinestro).

- Unlike the other lanterns he has gone through CQC and armed combat. Have him make use of it regularly. Don't turn him into batman or anything but he Knows how to fight and use a weapon.

- Give his uniform something more personal. Have it redesign to be more militaristic.

-Have his eyes glow green while using powers and have his pupils be permanently green from exposure to the ring for some "mysterious reason".

stopped reading after that

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mega_spidey01

that would be an interesting story development for john stewart. but i guess its easier to do the buddy cop think given a partner like danny glover and mel gibson.

Avatar image for lightningtiger2190
    LightningTiger2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kallarkz said:

stopped reading after that

Why? It's a reality. Him being black and having the same exact powers and Hal Jordan puts authors in tough spot. Completely forget about him and people will be mad. Shoe horn him into be a front runner and people will be mad. Give him a better background and more interesting stories. People will feel less like he is a product of AA and a genuinely cool character. I didn't appreciate him being shoved in my face when justice league premiered. I felt like DC was trying to appease me by having a diverse group. Screw diversity and give me cool characters. Imagine if Kyle Rayner brought his imagination to the team. They should John put him in charge of an elite hit squad of lanterns and have them go after some of the most dangerous criminals. Put that military background to good use.Have this be a mini series in the back of the official Green Lantern book like Shazaam is to JL to see how readers like it. If it blows up they can create there own comic. How cool would it be to see a team of the most highly trained lanterns go to different Planets and deal with touchy political matter, assassination attempts, special ops missions, etc.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VampireSelektor

@spiderbat87said:

get over it

No.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Boo freakin hoo. All the other Earth lanterns had the reps warned for years to Make Hal look stupid and weak because the writers chose gimmickry over character development. It's about time fans of the other Lanterns know what it feels like to have your beloved character decay in front of you.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. When has Hal been made to look weak and stupid? During Emerald Twilight, when he suffered a moral lapse and attacked his fellow corpsmen? Hal was allowed to redeem himself and then some, so why is this still an issue? And why should fans know what it feels like to have their favorite characters suffer poor story lines? Why is your response "It happens to everyone. Get over it."? Given his history, especially as Master Builder, why isn't John entitled to better stories?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

1. I'm simply saying that it's hard to sympathize with fans who helped destroy Hal and who talk him down at every occasion. People always go on about how boring Hal is and how he doesn't have any real development when the fact is that's not Hal's fault it's because Hal was the victim of the same thing that John Stewart/Guy Gardner fans are whining about right now. And once again, I'm expected to hail Emerald Twilight as if it were some sort of godsend that made Hal awesome when it truly wasn't. It was unessecary sodomy to Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern mythos, it wouldnt have had to happen if a competent writer hadbeen given the chance to shape Hal instead of adding gimmick plot device characters like Gardner, Rayner, and Stewart. But no. All you hear on this site whenever Hal Jordan is he's boring, he's an a-hole, he murdered his friends, you never hear about the good things he did period at ANY time in his history. So why should the other lanterns and their fans be shown the same respect and reasonable doubt that they refused to show Hal and his fans. No one cries bad writing when Hal screws up no matter how little sense it makes. Even now in Geoff Johns GL series, Hal has been turned into Guy Gardner and people just go on hating him and acting like he was always like that...it sickens me and hurts me to the very core

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Avenging-X-Boltsaid:

1. I'm simply saying that it's hard to sympathize with fans who helped destroy Hal and who talk him down at every occasion. People always go on about how boring Hal is and how he doesn't have any real development when the fact is that's not Hal's fault it's because Hal was the victim of the same thing that John Stewart/Guy Gardner fans are whining about right now. And once again, I'm expected to hail Emerald Twilight as if it were some sort of godsend that made Hal awesome when it truly wasn't. It was unessecary sodomy to Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern mythos, it wouldnt have had to happen if a competent writer hadbeen given the chance to shape Hal instead of adding gimmick plot device characters like Gardner, Rayner, and Stewart. But no. All you hear on this site whenever Hal Jordan is he's boring, he's an a-hole, he murdered his friends, you never hear about the good things he did period at ANY time in his history. So why should the other lanterns and their fans be shown the same respect and reasonable doubt that they refused to show Hal and his fans. No one cries bad writing when Hal screws up no matter how little sense it makes. Even now in Geoff Johns GL series, Hal has been turned into Guy Gardner and people just go on hating him and acting like he was always like that...it sickens me and hurts me to the very core

The original post wasn't written to put down Hal, it was purposed to rally up better material for John. And Hal IS boring and derivative now, but how about clamoring for better writing instead of dismissing the outrage of others?

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Superdork

@VampireSelektor said:

What character starts off as a furiously intelligent, out-of-work architect, ascends to the status of Green Lantern, ascends to the status of Guardian, enjoys a unique run on a popular animated series, and then plays bland, tortured second fiddle to his three other counterparts? John possesses a unique feel for his ring, and his skills as a diplomat and tactician are increasingly sidelined to make Hal look more competent than he deserves in-story. Bland, here, refers to Johns' characterization consuming the near-useless attributes acquired in the series (what has becoming a Marine really done for the character?) along with rehashing the same traumas. How many planets does John have to kill before an interesting plot comes his way? And its these plot points, and not his Guardian tenure or his more creative uses of the power ring a la the Silver Age, that are recycled every odd number of issues. Kyle was Ion. People remember he was Ion, and it's been referenced his Rebirth, and now he works as the Green Lantern representative in the New Guardians. Guy has enjoyed prominence as the "rebel" of the four 2814 Lanterns. And yet, John, a former GUARDIAN, still defers to Hal for some reason. What about that time Hal started a fight over a girl that decided to date John instead? What about the time Hal let his fear make vulnerable to Parallax? Johns rewards Hal for little aside his status as first Green Lantern of the Silver Age. This leaves John left to play stock "supporting, logical-if-boring black guy". His most interesting role in the last year was as a diplomat teasing Braniac 2 in "L.E.G.I.O.N". It would be nice if DC could find a writer genuinely interested in writing the character as supposed to planting him in stale stories. PLEASE, ANYONE!

Avatar image for assistanttomrsmathers
    AssistantToMrSmathers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As though anyone sets out to deliberately pen a stale story. John Stewart is a character, and as such, he can only be handled the right way or the wrong way by his writers/artists. Instances in which the character has been handled properly (JL Animated strikes me as the first memorable use of John since his initial appearances) demonstrate that he can be a front-liner when a writer knows how to handle him properly. Unfortunately, team books like the ones John is apt to appear in are mostly firework affairs that don't delve heavily into each character's motives/psyche. The lesson here is to seek out the writers and artists, not the characters, who will give you more of what you're looking for. If you want the feeling that John gave you in those JL cartoons or Adams/O'Neal adventures, I'd advise you to look for more of Adams/O'Neal's or Dini/Timm's work. Don't be afraid to try new characters. Also, don't be afraid to try new writers, but know the difference between a genuinely good storyteller and one who's just relying on the artist's ability to draw a punch or explosion. So many (I won't say "today", because it's always been that way) books are tepid and boring, possibly reflecting the imaginations of those involved, and some projects just don't come together, despite best intentions. To paraphrase George Carlin: "It's not enough to know what needs to be told, you need to know why it needs to be told."

Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mathematicscore

I don't mind the military angle, although I don't like when the wonderful work done during Mosaic is forgotten; He is far more interesting to me as liking atypical music and being something of an outsider than as a military stereotype. Just because a good portion of white america only has close dealings with other races in the military doesn't mean that's the only way to get to know him.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By dernman

Jordan is and should be the best GL. 
    John Stewart is an ok character but he isn't better then Hal and him becoming a Guardian was WIS. 
    Kyle my favorite should have the potential to be the greatest Lantern but it should remain at just potential.  
    John's being an architect is no better then Kyle being an artist when it comes to being a GL.
    Guy Gardner is a bad@ass and should remain a bad@ass should be Johns equal.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

You know DC! They don't like progressive storytelling. They hate change. Look at what they did to John Stewart's GL: Mosaic Run. DC canceled it for reasons DC doesn't even know.

master_wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By master_wright

See that's what I'm thinking. It's one thing to say oh boo whoo it happens to evrybody but it really doesn't. Guy and Hal and Kyle are alwyas seen they are always in a series they always have PERSONAL LIVES. Can you say that they don't? When was the last time John was doing something on Earth that had nothing to do with being a superhero? Had a single battle, that's one on one, with well anybody? Fought a major DC villain? Saved the day by not killing someone who otherwise would be an innocent? When was the last time JOHn said the oath? simple things like that are a disgrace. But I'm hopeful that this cureent arc is going to try a correct that but denying him his own feats and history acting like it never happened to appease people to sorry to read literally making the ignorant comfortable because knowledge scares them that is disgraceful.

DTFB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DTFB

@LightningTiger2190: im really feeling that kind of back ground that would be pretty cool

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mega_spidey01

sgt. james heller from prototype 2 reminds of john stewart his personality and attitude and will. hope they include in the justice league or Green lantern 2.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#23  Edited By cbishop

@Twentyfive said:

You know DC! They don't like progressive storytelling. They hate change. Look at what they did to John Stewart's GL: Mosaic Run. DC canceled it for reasons DC doesn't even know.

I think they do know. I've already said this in a blog, but Mosaic was cancelled one month after Coast City's destruction, and two months before Hal went psycho in ET. Looking at where Mosaic was going, I think Stewart was headed for the Parallax role, until DC decided to connect it to Reign of the Supermen (which you have to remember, was hot on the heels of the mega-selling Death of Superman). Gotta be honest, I think a little bit of it was that DC didn't want to turn a liked black character evil, for fear of the buyer backlash. So they went with Hal, which was greater shock value.

The "black guy as the bad guy" is a stereotype that comics, movies and TV have been trying to gloss over for the last 20 years (at least). Think about it: how many African-American characters introduced since 1985 have been incredibly smart and noble, rising above tragedy? That includes: 1) Static - a teenager who liked to hang with gang members, but still managed to have a brilliant grasp of science, 2) Steel, a super scientist who became a hero to keep Supes' memory alive and to make up for the mistakes he feels he made by designing super weapons for the military, 3) Hardware, who developed a super armor, but wanted to kill his evil employer, 4) Icon, born in a slave shack, but lived to be a wealthy, educated man, 5) Cyborg, also former friends with a gang member, who was formerly a product of his scientist father's experiments, and is now a scientist in his own right - gang friends a thing of past stories, 6) Luke Cage, whose origin was a stereotypical black character of the times: from the streets, a convict volunteered for an experiment, framed for a crime, who eventually proves his innocence. Marvel took him further down the gangster path later, but has brought him back as an Avenger and father, 7) Black Panther, not only king of an African nation, but a wealthy, technologically advanced African nation, 8) Black Lightning - former afro sporting, lightning powered hero/ teacher, fighting street crime and his own Kingpin in Tobias Whale, now a teacher turned Presidential cabinet member (who killed the guy that abused his daughter, but really, who holds that against him?), and 9) John Stewart, who although he f'd up and destroyed a planet full of sentients, is still a character who has moved beyond his initial attitude problems to become exceedingly noble, and yes, apparently a brilliant architect (often confused for engineer).

There's no getting around it: even though white people aren't the only ethnic group with trashy personalities scattered throughout, readers won't abide another ethnicity portrayed poorly, because that one character is somehow representative of the opinion of the entire ethnicity. I know some truly smart African-Americans - men who humble and inspire me - but that has in no way made me think that the entire skin tone is full of noble super geniuses. John Stewart had a great story going in Mosaic, but that story had him becoming the bad guy - and an awesome bad guy, at that. I would have much rather read that, than Emerald Twilight and all the Hal stuff that followed.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BatteredArmor

@cbishop: You forgot Mr. Terrific. Oh and brilliantly said

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#25  Edited By cbishop

@BlackArmor said:

@cbishop: You forgot Mr. Terrific. Oh and brilliantly said

I'm sure I forgot a few, but I bet any pointed out would fit the same pattern. Outside of Milestone, which portrayed non-white characters in all walks (awesomely, I might add) you're only going to find ethnic characters that initially fit the stereotype, but quickly blossom into something exceedingly better. That's pretty much to make up for the days when comics portrayed ethnicities like this:

(and no, that's not a pacifier in his mouth - that's his lips - smh in embarrassment)

The one exception I can think of is The Falcon, who was originally a social worker, then became high flying partner to Captain America ...only to be retroactively made a pimp in his pre-hero days, by some moron at Marvel, in recent years. o.O

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Onemoreposter

John has definitely had one the most inconsistent overall stories. Sad thing is he's had some great stories. From the Cosmic Odyssey, the death of X'anshi to becoming a human GotU and the Mosaic storyline Stewart has a lot of thought put into him by some excellent writers. It was unfortunate that all the development kept getting swept under the rug every time some major event (aka Hal makes waves) rolled around.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheThe

DC should be ashamed for the way they are portraying him. If they dont care about the character, why did they create him at first ? It's ridiculous and i'm starting to hate DC because of that.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Twentyfive

@TheThe said:

DC should be ashamed for the way they are portraying him. If they don't care about the character, why did they create him at first ? It's ridiculous and I'm starting to hate DC because of that.

I hear you. If you're like me, John Stewart was the first Green Lantern you've ever known, and practically THE Green Lantern. Now DC is doing their best to deliberately snub him because they lament the fact that John was the main GL in the cartoon, and he was pretty good.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VampireSelektor

@cbishop said:

@Twentyfive said:

I think they do know. I've already said this in a blog, but Mosaic was cancelled one month after Coast City's destruction, and two months before Hal went psycho in ET. Looking at where Mosaic was going, I think Stewart was headed for the Parallax role, until DC decided to connect it to Reign of the Supermen (which you have to remember, was hot on the heels of the mega-selling Death of Superman). Gotta be honest, I think a little bit of it was that DC didn't want to turn a liked black character evil, for fear of the buyer backlash. So they went with Hal, which was greater shock value.

The "black guy as the bad guy" is a stereotype that comics, movies and TV have been trying to gloss over for the last 20 years (at least). Think about it: how many African-American characters introduced since 1985 have been incredibly smart and noble, rising above tragedy? That includes: 1) Static - a teenager who liked to hang with gang members, but still managed to have a brilliant grasp of science, 2) Steel, a super scientist who became a hero to keep Supes' memory alive and to make up for the mistakes he feels he made by designing super weapons for the military, 3) Hardware, who developed a super armor, but wanted to kill his evil employer, 4) Icon, born in a slave shack, but lived to be a wealthy, educated man, 5) Cyborg, also former friends with a gang member, who was formerly a product of his scientist father's experiments, and is now a scientist in his own right - gang friends a thing of past stories, 6) Luke Cage, whose origin was a stereotypical black character of the times: from the streets, a convict volunteered for an experiment, framed for a crime, who eventually proves his innocence. Marvel took him further down the gangster path later, but has brought him back as an Avenger and father, 7) Black Panther, not only king of an African nation, but a wealthy, technologically advanced African nation, 8) Black Lightning - former afro sporting, lightning powered hero/ teacher, fighting street crime and his own Kingpin in Tobias Whale, now a teacher turned Presidential cabinet member (who killed the guy that abused his daughter, but really, who holds that against him?), and 9) John Stewart, who although he f'd up and destroyed a planet full of sentients, is still a character who has moved beyond his initial attitude problems to become exceedingly noble, and yes, apparently a brilliant architect (often confused for engineer).

There's no getting around it: even though white people aren't the only ethnic group with trashy personalities scattered throughout, readers won't abide another ethnicity portrayed poorly, because that one character is somehow representative of the opinion of the entire ethnicity. I know some truly smart African-Americans - men who humble and inspire me - but that has in no way made me think that the entire skin tone is full of noble super geniuses. John Stewart had a great story going in Mosaic, but that story had him becoming the bad guy - and an awesome bad guy, at that. I would have much rather read that, than Emerald Twilight and all the Hal stuff that followed.

Nicely said BUMP

myround0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By myround0

@dernman: Hal should be the Greatest Green Lantern

John Stewart should be the most powerful Green lantern and DC should not feel as if their hands are tied in exposing this issue. Mogo should be next and Hal should be number three.

You can show Hal's greatness first off he teaches John how to carry the Lantern inside his ring. Secondly Hal once his ring is repaired Hal while he can't access the emotions of all the other colors, his ring can create construct of many different colors. Hal will try to teach John this and while John gets a few colors, he doesn't get them all.

The worst story line is an ARTIST being the most powerful off all GREEN LANTERNS. This is where I feel DC shows is racial bias. There is no way an artist and his colorful canvas should be number 1 in combat. First off John is the only Lantern to be a Guardian, so he should be the guy given the multi-colored ring, not Kyle that doesn't fit, but we can't have John because he is the wrong color, and that sucks. The arc fits with the Marine who is the only Green Lantern who's will exceeds the limits of a LIMITLESS ring to be the multi-Lantern.

But the sad part is PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO SEE THIS FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN WHAT IT IS, ITS PURE HATRED...INDEFENSIBLE HATRED. Kyle should be nowhere near the top of the power board, it would be like saying Kyle was a priest and the most awesome killing machine because he knows how to reach people. The wearers will and his background shapes the ring Stewart as a Marine would be number one in willpower and he should be clearly the most powerful of the Green lanterns if you can define willpower, but that doesn't mean Hal is weak I mean the ring chose him over Superman, and we all know the will of the man of Steel, and Batman.

John Stewart was not chosen by the ring, THE GUARDIANS CHOSE HIM...

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

~sigh

We're never gonna get something as good as Green Lantern: Mosaic again, are we?

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MeanAndGreen

John is my favorite, and he certainly deserves more love.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.