Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Green Lantern's (John Stewart) Must Watch Justice League Episodes

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Justice League ran from 2001 to 2004 and gave the world 52 glorious episodes. And you know what? They hold up! Seeing as John Stewart was a recent character of the month, we thought that was the perfect excuse to watch the animated show's two seasons all over again. After all, the show created countless John Stewart fans. The cosmic hero gets a whole lot of love in the series and he has some standout moments in episodes like "War World," "Legends," and "Metamorphosis," but we're going to highlight what we consider to be the dude's must watch episodes. If your favorite one isn't below, go ahead and give it some love in the comments.

Secret Origins: Part 2 (Season 1, Episode 2)

No Caption Provided

"Who's the rookie in the tiara?"

John Stewart makes an awesome first appearance in this animated world. I mean, it doesn't get much better than saving BatmanandMartian Manhunter during your big debut, right? After that, he goes on to save Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, and Flash. Not shabby, yeah? The team would be in major trouble if he wasn't there to shield them from danger. Sure, Flash later returns the favor and needs to save G.L., but hey, no one's perfect. It's not the most emotional and compelling debut around, but it sure is awesome and he steps up to organize the team.

In the Blackest Night (Season 1, Episodes 4 & 5)

No Caption Provided

"We solved our lawyer problem a long time ago."

These two sci-fi heavy episodes take us into all of the surreal things going on out in the universe and these events show us just how strong John's character really is. When faced with a serious criminal charge and the punishment is the death penalty, many people would do everything they could to avoid that fate. John, though? He legitimately believes he's done something wrong and will accept whatever punishment is sent his way. He doesn't beg to find another way out of it; he doesn't lie in an attempt to save himself. He stands tall and is willing to accept whatever happens. That takes courage.

Before we go into space court (totally not what it's called, but you get what I mean), the sci-fi heavy-story gives us some really strong scenes back on our little planet. John possesses great power -- power which can be used to save the planet -- but he doesn't let that get to his head. He uses what he has to stop a simple robbery and spends some time back where he grew up. (Seeing a kid admire him and want the same haircut is adorable.) Then, we get some craziness as Manhunters get into an explosive brawl with Johns' allies. It's a fun dose of character and action before leaping into the bigger picture that'll take place out in the cosmos. And, of course, it concludes with a massive action sequence, one which gives Stewart plenty of room to shine and he saves Flash not once, but twice! Plus, seeing Hawkgirl stand up for John and get into a brawl with his fellow Green Lanterns was a blast and a little nod to the close relationship those two will soon have. If you know where their story takes them, it's pretty heartwarming to see she's already fighting for him. I mean, odds are she'd do the same for any of her teammates, but this path leads somewhere far more moving.

Hearts and Minds (Season 2, Episodes 9 & 10)

No Caption Provided

"You sound like an old married couple."

The introduction of Despero generates a story that gives us yet another look at the Green Lantern Corps while also teasing the tension between Hawkgirl and Stewart. The introduction of Katma gives us a little more insight into Stewart's history and really pushes him as he's left unable to use his ring. The history between them is most definitely noticed by Hawkgirl, but instead of playing the blatantly obvious and cringeworthy jealousy card, Hawkgirl helps motivate John when he needs it the most. And, even though it's not intentional, she once again motivates him when she's in danger and only he has the power to save her. One thing is clear: they make each other stronger. As always, there's plenty of fun action in here, especially towards the end, and no one will ever forget the "love tap" Hawkgirl gave John after their talk. And who doesn't love a Flash and Kilowog team-up? Their investigation of Stewart's apartment is priceless.

Wild Cards (Season 2, Episodes 21 & 22)

No Caption Provided

"Is it just me or is there something going on between those two?"

There's plenty of reasons to love these two episodes. From Mark Hamill's delightfully twisted Joker to all of the mayhem with the Royal Flush Gang, "Wild Cards" is a really, really entertaining storyline. If you've seen "Epilogue," then odds are you'll find the focus on Ace to be especially powerful. But all of those reasons begin to fade away as the story reaches its final minutes. That's when things get gripping, emotional, and hugely rewarding. After all of the Han and Leia-ish banter between John and Hawkgirl, the two finally have a beautiful heart-to-heart conversation. It's only fitting the background is gorgeous as these two stop playing around and finally express how they really feel. All concerns that superheroes usually have about relationships are swiftly cast aside and their passion for each other takes over. After so much buildup, these two have their first kiss and it's a wonderful scene.

Comfort and Joy (Season 2, Episode 23)

No Caption Provided

"Feeling more festive?"

With so many episodes featuring big threats and dire situations, having an episode that's forced purely on fun character dynamics and heartwarming moments is amazingly refreshing. The subplots with Flash and Martian Manhunter are touching and well-written, but this episode is the perfect way to focus on John and Hawkgirl's brand new relationship. They come from different worlds and have totally different interests, but that doesn't stop them from doing what they can to make the other happy. They try their hardest to embrace what the other person loves and the result is two funny, joyous and humanizing scenes. It's an episode that'll put a smile on your face. Honestly, who doesn't want to see a superhero snowball fight?

Starcrossed (Season 2, Episodes 24-26)

No Caption Provided

"You can kiss my ax."

This 3-episode story arc is the perfect way to end Justice League. It's a huge adventure with high stakes and it gives each character a satisfying amount of the spotlight. But best of all? Hawkgirl and John Stewart's relationship is right in the middle of this epic finale. We won't spoil how it concludes (some people out there are still catching up!), but having Hawkgirl reveal she's a spy and in a relationship with another guy (Hro Talak) was a real jaw-dropper. The story pushes the connection Hawkgirl and John have built and it all ends with an incredibly captivating conversation. Emotional, full of twists, and packed with thrilling action, "Starcrossed" isn't just a must watch for John Stewart fans; it's a must watch for all DC fans.

No Caption Provided

What's your favorite John Stewart episode of Justice League? If this article does well, we might highlight his best Justice League Unlimited episodes, too!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

This is a great list of episodes, with some really great character moments! Thanks @k4tzm4n!

Hearts and Minds is definitely John's best episode on Justice League, and it depicts what I think is the quintessential John Stewart. He doesn't give up, and he's "more than just a fancy ring." :)

Loading Video...

Wild Cards is pure fun. It's great seeing the team dynamic in play between Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Hawkgirl. But the best scenes are the ones with the Han-Leia dynamic between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl.

Loading Video...

Legends gave us a great look at John's geeky side, and it was a fun take on the Justice Society. The Flash's Andrew Kreisberg wrote the episode, and you can see him putting pieces of himself into John.

Loading Video...

I loved seeing John's neighborhood in In Blackest Night, which also helped set up the Flash and Green Lantern buddy-cop relationship on the show.

Loading Video...

The Savage Time was great because we got to see John in full soldier mode, haha.

Loading Video...

Speaking of soldiering, it was great seeing John's dynamic with his old friend Rex Mason in Metamorphosis.

Loading Video...

John had a bunch of great moments on Starcrossed, which was also a great team story. We got to see all of the members work together in their secret identities, Batman and Green Lantern had their first girl talk, and John kicked a lot of butt.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Paul Dini's Comfort and Joy gave us a great glimpse at what Green Lantern and Hawkgirl liked to do during their downtime. It's my favorite superhero Christmas special because all of the storylines--Flash's and Martian Manhunter's included--were really strong.

Loading Video...

John also got a lot of shine on Justice League Unlimited. Kid Stuff, The Once and Future Thing, and Ancient History are just some of the awesome JLU stories that he's in. :)

--

Follow the links above for commentary on each episode made by the cast and crew!

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Dang, this show was the best. It's on Netflix (or it was, at least) for anyone feeling nostalgic now! I know I am

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

One of my favorite memories of this show was Wally West trying to defend John in space court.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Dang, this show was the best. It's on Netflix (or it was, at least) for anyone feeling nostalgic now! I know I am

Yeah, this and some of the other DC animated shows are available to stream until the end of the month.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By John-PH

My favourite episodes are the ones where they go to the Silver Age universe

@the_average_bear said:

Its still on Netflix (At least in the US)

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great artcile. I would have included "The Brave and the Bold" and "Eclipsed." While they may be Flash episodes, John is right alongside Wally and those adventures really show the duo's great relationship.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This show needs to come back :(

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great episode with some awesome John moments was this one.

No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zaied

I also liked Savage Times. We got to see some of John's military experience in action, and how resourceful he is without the ring. Legends is another good episode for a bit of backstory on him.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Awesome list, but his month already ended

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @amazingwebhead said:

I over spent a week of his short month unable to do a lot of the work I wanted to. (Caught something nasty at Toy Fair.) I figure most people would prefer "better late than never."

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea that the JL cartoon is released in Blu Ray copies. I need to go and pick it up.

Amazing article, @k4tzm4n.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourite is still the very first time I ever heard the Green Lantern Oath, and it was from my man John in "Darkest Night."

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain13

@bigl said:

This show needs to come back :(

Bruce Timm is producing Justice League: Gods and Monsters, which is due sometime this spring. I hope it has some of this show's charm. :)

@blacklegraph said:

My favourite is still the very first time I ever heard the Green Lantern Oath, and it was from my man John in "Darkest Night."

So good!

Loading Video...

Phil LaMarr owned the role!

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, the whole episode is great, but I especially love the Wally reference.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By amazing_webhead
    @k4tzm4n said:
    @amazingwebhead said:

I over spent a week of his short month unable to do a lot of the work I wanted to. (Caught something nasty at Toy Fair.) I figure most people would prefer "better late than never."

understood. my apologies for not knowing

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:
    @amazingwebhead said:

understood. my apologies for not knowing

No need to apologize; just wanted to explain why Stewart's getting some love after his month is over.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Captain13

@desh said:

Great artcile. I would have included "The Brave and the Bold" and "Eclipsed." While they may be Flash episodes, John is right alongside Wally and those adventures really show the duo's great relationship.

Yeah, those two were comedy gold.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

And you could tell there was more between them than just laughs. Their friendship really developed as time went on. By the end of JLU, they were a well oiled machine. I love Green Lantern and Flash's catapult scene in JLU's Destroyer.

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Desh

I think "War World" is a key episode for John, because I believe that is when he and Hawkgirl really noticed each other. Their back and forth dialogue stole the show in that one, but I do love Superman's fight with Draaga, too. I definitely think "Legends" should have made this list, though. It's one of the better Justice League episodes, and John is really important in it.

It's notable that John has the climactic showdown with the antagonists in both season finales, "The Savage Time" (with his battle against Vandal Savage aboard the jet) and "Starcrossed" (against Hro Talak).

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SodamYat

1. Justice League/Justice League Unlimited

2. Xmen (From the 90's)

3. Dragon Ball Z

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

The ones where is gets it on with HAWKGIRL!!!

~MIB

Techherofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited sure brings back some fond memories.Also reminds me of Bruce Timm's upcoming Justice League project.Wonder when that's going to get a trailer or is it still in development?

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#23  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Great episode choices!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss this show, I miss the quality. Don't find it on the current crop of superhero shows.

CAGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despero is the beginning...Despero is the end...Despero is ALL. Lol. Screw that...all hail John Stewart! All hail John Stewart! All hail John Stewart!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

Why is comicvine trying to alienate Hal Jordan fans?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethysquare: How is comicvine alienating Hal fans? John was COTM last month, which is why he's been getting lots of attention at the time. This article was supposed to be posted on that month, but came in late.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was the most fleshed out character of the entire series. He was the backbone of that team.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It thinks it's without a question that John Stewart is one of the show's breakout stars. For many people who grew up on this show (and those are a lot), JS is the main Green Lantern. While I don't personally feel this way, he's still one of my favorites. Another thing that this show hit a homerun with, is the fact they made you care about the blooming relationship between two relatively unknown characters (GL and Hawkgirl). It was built up well, when it finally happened it was extremely strong, and it was heartbreaking when it ended.

CAGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CAGL

@sethysquare: "Why is comicvine trying to alienate Hal Jordan fans?"

Mysoulz ->; Sethysquare: "How is comicvine alienating Hal fans? John was COTM last month, which is why he's been getting lots of attention at the time. This article was supposed to be posted on that month, but came in late."

CAGL ->; Sethysquare: If there were a movie or story being told about all the Earth lanterns and had excluded Hal, then you would have a right to ask that question. In Feb 2015, Hal wasn't even among the nominees, it was his colleague John Stewart who not only was nominated, but had won. Thus for an entire month the only lantern to be discussed would be John. How selfish and egocentric of a Hal Jordan fan must you be to even ask such a question? It's not enough that he had his own cartoon, his two animated movies, the JL animated movies, the main focal point of the GL comics, and had his own 2011 live action movie, then there's fans of his that complain about him not being in the JL animated series that featured John Stewart and you questioning why Hal hasn't or wasn't the main focal point of John Stewart's month. Dude get real. Speaking of real, here's a reality check for ya, every time you go to sleep at night, know that John was the 1st ever GL to become COTM and that through the power of the people and social media, he was elected as such. Could Hal Jordan declare the same? Know that the social media programming is in support of John being featured in the DCCU more so than Hal. What's disturbing is that many Hal fans are so delusional that you think that Hal is THE GL corps. It's not called the Hal Jordan corps it's called the GL corps. and Hal just represents one of many therefore the DC/WB studios could use whichever lantern that they want and isn't handcuffed to the comic source material. Hal fans are threatened by John's presence and popularity aren't they? You fear that he might take up the mantle while leaving Hal in the dust aren't you? Well good, because that's what fans of other lanterns had to endure from you pompous, arrogant, know it all Hal fans. That's funny, because Hal's personality matches the words I just used. I do hope that you don't choke on this unpleasant reality pill, because it can be one tough pill to swallow.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I always hated John with Hawkgirl

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

All those episodes where great, loved the Manhunter episode. I always wished they had a two parter to go into more detail about the GL Corps. I still believe that they could have pretty easily included Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, and Guy Gardner. Or had a Paralax story to explain where Hal has been.

Just one more season, that all I wanted!!!! :,(

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John is love, John is life.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice picks.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By scavengerFist

This, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, and Teen Titans were my go-to DC animated shows; they built the foundation of my superhero fascination (add my zeal for Bats and respect for Wally).

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

This is a fun episode too, seeing child John Stewart get excited on the rings' capabilities was heartwarming and a nod to my childhood. (If I had the ring we'd totally have the same reaction.)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, and Teen Titans were my go-to DC animated shows; they built the foundation of my superhero fascination (add my zeal for Bats and respect for Wally).

@teerack said:

No Caption Provided

This is a fun episode too, seeing child John Stewart get excited on the rings' capabilities was heartwarming and a nod to my childhood. (If I had the ring we'd totally have the same reaction.)

Kinda makes you wonder why you don't see more rings seeking out younger people who are too foolish to be fearful and are just nothing but will and over confidences.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Yeah, that's a good thought to ponder on. Then they'd mature while on the job, other kids would feel other strong emotions that'd eventually branch out to other lantern corps. That'd be gold.

CAGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those of you interested in reading Green Lantern articles, then go to the following webpage:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/03/12/please-dont-cast-chris-pine-as-green-lantern-in-justice-league/

Avatar image for divine_disorder
    Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love John Stewart. He was my first Green Lantern thanks to this show. (Hal's alright but I prefer John.) Really need to watch this whole series and JLU again.

Good article. Thanks for the nostalgia.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.