Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1833 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Green Lantern #49 Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dr. Detfink

I loved this issue because it finally pushed John past all the guilt of having an entire planet die on his watch. It also showed a super hero coming to terms with the fact not every day is going to be a good day. Finally, I loved the story about John being in a "Blackhawk Down"-esque story where his fears were examined. 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

I felt like I should've liked this more than I did.  I'm sure people are going to disagree with my rating but each review mainly is one person's opinion.  Maybe I just didn't like the way it ended.  I do think it's great finally seeing John get rid of his baggage.  I can't wait to read Blackest Night #6.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Well, nothing significant happened to change the status quo of Blackest night, which is why the back up story was almost more important as it relates of the core book.

The issue itself was oddly placed in the Blackest Night continuity. It's sort of a "oh we forgot about John" issue. I think the rings landed on the planet all the way back in Blackest Night #1 when they kind of stretched this out till 5 months into the event.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Grendel

I think reducing John Stewart to "I'm a killer that needs to keep my enjoyment of murder in check" was pathetic. And I've loved the previous Green Lantern issues.

Avatar image for emerald_lamp_2814
    emerald_lamp_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By emerald_lamp_2814
    @G-Man: 
       He never was in the marines in the comics but they changed it because in the animated series justice league unlimited that was his origin so that’s how the mainstream would know him .
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Really? I don't know if I interpreted it as John being a killer who needs to be kept in check but rather, John's deepest fears were connected to this uncontrollable rage that comes from being unable to save someone and watching as they are humiliated and killed in front of him.

That's the issue is John had to come to terms that yes you can fight a losing battle in the military but keeping yourself alive in a crisis isn't cowardice because in war there is no such thing as a coward. 

And yea, they've done so much history revisionist stuff in GL. For example, Sinestro has been killed before why didn't Nekron go after him as well when Bruce puked out the rings?

BestChanceThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestChanceThor
    @Dr. Detfink:
    Grendel is just trying to compare those in the military to "killers" and murderers but thats not John and thats not the military. It wasnt about his enjoyment because he doesnt enjoy killing. Its about his upbringing and how his time in the marines change his outlook on life
    redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By redmanta

i just read Blackest Night   6  and  wow    
    Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

It really shows in this review, and in that issue allot of what John is in comics right now. This was a really good issue, and G-Man hit on allot of the things that really happened. Yet, Johns didn't even have enough for a full issue of John, an as a result didn't give G-Man enough to fill an entire review. John is an awesome character, and he was really made interesting in the JLU universe, but just tryina copy that won't work. It's been a while since he's had any major storyline in GL, an that needs to change if Geoff wants people to care about him. This was the first time in his run i've seen Geoff do real character  work on John, other than the retcon of course, and i'm really pleased with that. Hopefully we can get more of what makes him a great character, and a great GL. Otherwise we can't really be surprised when people dn't love him. 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

I thought John was in the marine's befor becoming a GL.

Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Whitley

He was in the DCAU. I really found the Jon Stewart character the most interesting of the Earth GLs and it is a real shame when the GL movie gets made it is going to be about Hal Jordan. Stewart is such a more interesting GL. You could open the movie showing that Stewart came from a tough neighborhood and a teacher that looked after him kept him from the wrong side.....then he is in the Marines and show him touging up and not taking crap from anyone. Then you can give him the GL ring. It does not have to be long only like 5 minutes at the beginning of the movie. 

After that you have established that Jon Stewart is going to kick ass with or without the ring.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Yung ANcient One

JOn Stewart is AWESOME... the only GL that can kick ass with out a Ring... all the other human GLs cant hold a candle to Stewart

qorecutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By qorecutter
    @Whitley said:
    " He was in the DCAU. I really found the Jon Stewart character the most interesting of the Earth GLs and it is a real shame when the GL movie gets made it is going to be about Hal Jordan. Stewart is such a more interesting GL. You could open the movie showing that Stewart came from a tough neighborhood and a teacher that looked after him kept him from the wrong side.....then he is in the Marines and show him touging up and not taking crap from anyone. Then you can give him the GL ring. It does not have to be long only like 5 minutes at the beginning of the movie.  After that you have established that Jon Stewart is going to kick ass with or without the ring. "
    No offense but that idea of introducing John Stewart via tough neighborhood with a teacher keeping him from doing wrong sounds pretty cliche. That tends to be the main focus of many films that surround films about young minorities from tough neighborhoods and their journey through education. It's also quite common as the past of black characters who are successful in most other forms of media.

In my opinion the best way to introduce John Stewart would be to show him as an Architect where he is thrust into a situation where he can perform any military feats (have a mugger attempt to mug him and he fights him off while any colleagues will be surprised by his skill).

All I'm saying is I think I've seen enough ghetto born characters in media that I feel it would be much more refreshing to see a character that is what he is because of his own choice and not because he had no choice in the matter out of being placed in the wrong place.

Now I don't know about John Stewart completely but still I grow tired of these common origin stories.
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By drawme

Not a fan of him at all.

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LP

JOHN STEWART! He's my favorite Green Lantern. =)

jagged glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By jagged glass

Dammit! I can't get any comics till Jan 9th cause all the comic shops over here are shut down. This REAALLLYY SUCKS!!
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By timrothsays

pretty good issue. especially military-part

Samurai X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Samurai X
    @jagged glass said:
    " Dammit! I can't get any comics till Jan 9th cause all the comic shops over here are shut down. This REAALLLYY SUCKS!! "
    You should just order them online
    Most stores tend to overprice
    Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Whitley
    @qorecutter: 

It can be cliched if not done right. But that quick off the top of the head origin comes from a couple Justic League episodes. The first bit about the neighborhood and a teacher that watched out for him comes from the first season Justice League.  Where Stewart is back in his neighborhood after being gone for years. And runs into his old teacher and his grandson. Stewart's military background in touched on when they go back in time to correct the timeline (the alteration was Vandal Savage lead WW2 Germany  and the Axis won with future tech).  

See to me, Stewart being able to rise above his circumstances when there is a lot going against him, and becoming a guy that is able to take care of himself and do what is right  before getting the ring is very attractive. Just like Barry Allen would always have that heroic mold to him, so does Jon Stewart.
    qorecutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By qorecutter
    @Whitley: Understandable, but like I've said the idea is a cliche to me not just how it's done I've seen a lot of films that perform it well enough for me to ignore the fact that that happened but in the end I always recall that cliche story. I just want characters who gets introduced to the world as a hero who chose to become a hero even if he didn't have to be one. 

I'm not really a fan of heroes that are products of their environments especially if it uses the tough neighborhood route but hey one man's trash is the next man's treasure one man's pain is the next man's pleasure.
    Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Whitley
    @qorecutter:
    While it is overdone in the comics (especially in the 70s when comics tried to talk "black"). I really struggle to recall it very often in the movies. Outside of the Batman origin but that is his entire motivation to become that. I don't know...I think serving in the marines that Stewart did before becoming a GL is exactly what you are looking for. How many people could be Marines and that is choosing to put your life on the line for really an ideal.  Sounds pretty heroic to me. As I said before I think it could be done very well. 

Maybe what you do is have Stewart reflecting back at his marine graduation or something like that. It would be natural for him to reflect back. Something like that....it would allow some natural flow and deepening the character early on. Then maybe you see him in action as a Marine and that establishes his hero credentials. Maybe the hardest thing to do would be to get him the ring in the first place. 

It's just a shame they are starting with Hal Jordan who is easily one of the least interesting GLs available to them.
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By timrothsays
    @Yung ANcient One: 
    >>all the other human GLs cant hold a candle to Stewart 

Guy Gardner?
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By greenenvy

I forgot about john because he was not in blackest night that much but this issue kicked ass and made him return as a bad ass so I  enjoyed. 4.5 out of 5 and man I cant wait for blackest night 6 because hopefully It will show how good and satisfying only one comic can be out the whole week.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grendel
    @BestChanceThor:  That wasn't what I was doing at all, not even in the slightest. I have family in the military as well veterans. I'm most definitely anti-war but not anti-military.

My issue with Johns take on John is that it's an unnecessary retcon and an extremely uninspired one at that. This issue was probably the worst of the relaunch so far.
    BestChanceThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BestChanceThor
    @Grendel:  ok, I'm sorry then. From when I first read it that's what it seemed to be to me. Anway, getting to your second point, I feel that this issue wasn't great, but it shows more of what to expect from John going forward moreso than his past being exposed. I think the main point was to show him overcoming his enveloping anxiety over xanshi moreso than shine light on his retconned past. Besides its really only the older heroes that have cool origins not the newer ones. Secondly, the older heroes have their origins cemented while newer ones like John stewarts can be changed before it becomes entrenched
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Grendel
    @BestChanceThor:  No offense taken. I felt this issue reduced Stewart to a soundbite: "I'm a soldier with a chip on shoulder". Too superficial especially when coupled with a lackluster plot.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

I'll stick with Blackest Night.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.