Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1821 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

According to IGN/Fans, John Stewart should be the movie GL

• 96 results
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He and Jordan are the only two choices imo.Because one is a Flight pilot, and the other is an ex-Marine.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gljs said:

It's not just IGN. John also smashed Hal over at a cbr poll:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?457700-Justice-League-Movie-and-Green-Lantern-Reboot-John-Stewart-or-Hal-Jordan

If WB ignores all of this, Hal's failed movie and canceled cartoon, then they're absolute idiots.

Damn

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

So other than Idris Elba, who do you guys think would be a good fit for the role of John?

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson: umm how is John more popular than Hal?...

Because far, far more people saw the justice league show than ever read anything with Hal in it. As it should be, because the DCAU could write circles around the comic books.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: When the Green Lantern movie was being shown, most people were like "Why is the Green Lantern white? I saw the Cartoon, he's black! RACIST!"

Stewart is far more well known and liked because Hal is traditionally boring.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By batmannflash

@guardian_of_gravity: That was a select few who never knew that there was a white Green Lantern. Kyle Rayner and Jordan even had brief appearances in the show so they have no excuse to question why GL is white. Stewart's popularity peaked during the time of JLU but hasn't been as popular as Jordan ever since. Jordan is the iconic Green Lantern, even to non comic book fans. And now even more than ever. Hal Jordan had a solo film and his own animated tv show.

Even if Stewart was well known, he is by no means "far more" well known. Hal Jordan being boring is your opinion. If you look on this site, Jordan is talked about way more and has more fans.

You could honestly say Stewart and it'd be understandable but I just hear about Jordan more among my non comic book fans.

To comic book fans and non comic book fans alike, Jordan is most commonly associated with the Green Lantern mantle.

Stewart has showed up in: JLU and Young Justice. JL Heroes, DCU Online, JL Injustice for All, JL Chronicles, Injustice Gods Among Us. Besides JLU, he is an extremely minor character in all I just mentioned. In Injustice is just a skin for Hal Jordan.

Jordan has showed up in: Legends of Superheroes, Superfriends, JLU, Duck Dodgers, The Batman, New Frontier, Brave and the Bold, First Flight, Crisis on Two Earths, YJ, Emerald Knights, GL live action movie, GL TAS, JL Doom, JL Heroes, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, Brave and the Bold video game, DCU Online, GL Rise of the Manhunters, Lego Batman 2, Injustice Gods Among Us. He has a significant role in most of these. He's even the main character in a couple.

Because of the live action and the tv show, the public has gotten to associate Jordan with GL, not Stewart. As for comic book fans, Jordan's a main centerpiece in the GL comics and is a JL member.

Jordan has 205 threads on here and Stewart only has 39.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Yeah sure, bring Hal in later on.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@tdk_1997 said:

I never had any big impression from the sharp minds of IGN fans.

It's not like Comicvine as a whole should be judging any other website for their intelligence.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: Hal appeared for like three seconds in JLU and Kyle for maybe five minutes in total. And the DCAU to this day remains to many people, the definitive take on DC. I certainly hold it as the best writing DC has ever had. Which is why I own pretty much everything to come of it.

I mean the DCAU ended up influencing the comics pretty heavily, what with Harley becoming a major fixture, it's interpretation of Mr.Freeze becoming pretty much the definitive one, John starting to appear more and more, and hell, even Alan Moore liked it.

And Alan Moore doesn't like much of anything.

I'd say that pandering to the DCAU may be a smart move considering how strongly it influenced many people's views of DC as a whole.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: You're right. I do agree that the DCAU has effected the DC a lot. I love the DCAU; it's amazing. But that's not what this is about. The DCAU has definitely effected John Stewart and made him much more popular than he was before. But his popularity isn't what it used to be. In the last couple years, Jordan has risen in popularity and surpassed Stewart. Despite the immense influence of the DCAU.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

I never had any big impression from the sharp minds of IGN fans.

It's not like Comicvine as a whole should be judging any other website for their intelligence.

We shouldn't be judging but most of the times IGN write articles that are far different from my opinion and a lot of the guys that I know and love comic books.And they write stuff that I don't agreee with. :P

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Yep. JOHN STEWART FTW!!! and EDRIS ELBA FOR GREEN LANTERN!!!!

I brought this up on the CV podcast also.

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: You're right. I do agree that the DCAU has effected the DC a lot. I love the DCAU; it's amazing. But that's not what this is about. The DCAU has definitely effected John Stewart and made him much more popular than he was before. But his popularity isn't what it used to be. In the last couple years, Jordan has risen in popularity and surpassed Stewart. Despite the immense influence of the DCAU.

Stewart's title is one of the highest selling DC books. The only GL that outsells his is the main one but only because it's the main one and not a spin off. Stewart is very popular--which DC forget to their BIG mistake.

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Desh

I don't think Jordan is more popular now. He has just appeared in more things lately, and his movie was bad, his cartoon went off the air quickly, and all those DTV movies are only viewed by a niche audience. Nothing Hal Jordan has done has had near the positive effect as JLU.

By the way, speaking of the polls, back at CBR, the Hal Jordan fans realized they were getting stomped hard, so, in hopes of maybe winning, they started a new poll with a new twist - add in the other Green Lanterns. Oh, these people >___>

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?465444-Justice-League-Movie-Which-Green-Lantern-Hal-Guy-John-Kyle-or-Simon

Oh, and as of my posting this message, John Stewart is winning... again!

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By silent_bomber

I agree with them, John Stewart is a much more interesting character.

And I'm not just coming off the Justice League cartoon either (which was excellent), I've read Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, Emerald Twilight, New Dawn, Mosaic, and most of The Road Back (so far, will check out Circle of Fire next).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Because Warner Bros totally listened to the fans when they wanted Adkins or Jensen Ackles/that guy from Supernatural to play Batman. It's hinted they want Mark Strong to play Sinestro again and Sinestro and John don't have any chemistry really. Hal's the iconic, most recently rising in popularity character and to those who use the Timmverse as the example of the epitome of the depiction of DC's characters, I agree to an extent but the DC Cinematic Universe is different from the animated universe. I like John but you Stewart fans are quite vocal on here.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure Hal Jordan is still going to be the center of the corps in the DC cinematic universe, regardless of John popularity to the general public.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No doubt

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I fail to see how people consider John more interesting than Hal or Kyle when it comes to comics.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: A majority of it comes from the fact that they simply grew up with John due to the JL animated serie. But as cool as I think it would be to have John in the film I'll be content if they use Hal since both he and John are my favorite Lanterns (just as long as Hal is done right this time). As for Kyle.... I was never really big on him to be honest. That's just me though.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By M3th

Dam Str8!

He should be the Green Lantern on the JL movie. Especially so people can forget about Hal's terrible debut.

-m3th.O.D.-

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#74  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager: A majority of it comes from the fact that they simply grew up with John due to the JL animated serie. But as cool as I think it would be to have John in the film I'll be content if they use Hal since both he and John are my favorite Lanterns (just as long as Hal is done right this time). As for Kyle.... I was never really big on him to be honest. That's just me though.

I was 10 years old when JL premiered. I watched it too. And John was boring. And his "relationship" with Hawkgirl was horrible (call me a purist, but Hawkman/Hawkgirl is an underrated relationship).

Hal is way more interesting and he has been through much more. I don't think Kyle is as good, but still good. And honestly, Kyle would be possibly pretty fun to do in a movie, because he is good good with constructs.

I mean I get that 2011 movie sucked, but that's not Hal's fault. Or even Ryan Reynolds fault to be honest. That character they wrote in 2011 WAS NOT Hal. Hal's not some douche bag who gives up so easily. And lets not get started on Parallax...

Mark Strong can come back as Sinestro though. All. Day. Long. That dude was born to play villains.

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thorough thoughts on the matter:

http://greenlantern.co/john-stewart-for-new-justice-league-and-green-lantern-movies-and-commentary-on-the-green-lantern-fanbase/

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@desh: interesting article!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@desh said:

http://greenlantern.co/john-stewart-for-new-justice-league-and-green-lantern-movies-and-commentary-on-the-green-lantern-fanbase/

You overrepresent the popularity of John based on your own personal preference for him I'm afraid. This is somewhat skewed in the opinions of your preference and a chance for you to act all annoyed and make claims that fans of John Stewart have been marginalised by people who actually find Hal and Kyle the much more interesting and deep characters. And your fatal mistake is thinking that there is any sort of similarity between comic book John Stewart and Bruce Timm's DCAU John Stewart. In order to make Stewart a popular character in the cartoon, they had to change radical things about his personality and give him a romantic tension and eventual love interest with Hawkgirl.

Comic book John Stewart hasn't been nearly as successful as his good runs have come about due to O'Neil's fascination with the social rights movement at the time of creating and writing Stewart, some kind of editorial mix up with Mosiac cancelling it and him blowing up planets 3 times. The same one twice actually. I like John mostly for his DCAU appearance but I don't find him as interesting as Hal or Kyle for many reasons that I'm sure you don't want to hear. His comic book version is nowhere near as interesting overall as his animated version.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

What the hell is interesting about John Stewart? "Rawhr I is a STRONG BLACK MAN, hear me roar!"

That's it!!!!! He has nothing else to offer, unless ya need a planet or two blown the hell up!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@lvenger said:

@desh said:

You overrepresent the popularity of John based on your own personal preference for him I'm afraid. This is somewhat skewed in the opinions of your preference and a chance for you to act all annoyed and make claims that fans of John Stewart have been marginalised by people who actually find Hal and Kyle the much more interesting and deep characters. And your fatal mistake is thinking that there is any sort of similarity between comic book John Stewart and Bruce Timm's DCAU John Stewart. In order to make Stewart a popular character in the cartoon, they had to change radical things about his personality and give him a romantic tension and eventual love interest with Hawkgirl.

Comic book John Stewart hasn't been nearly as successful as his good runs have come about due to O'Neil's fascination with the social rights movement at the time of creating and writing Stewart, some kind of editorial mix up with Mosiac cancelling it and him blowing up planets 3 times. The same one twice actually. I like John mostly for his DCAU appearance but I don't find him as interesting as Hal or Kyle for many reasons that I'm sure you don't want to hear. His comic book version is nowhere near as interesting overall as his animated version.

^

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Desh

@lvenger:

How can I over represent John Stewart's popularity? The polls represent themselves, and what I said is true. If you believe that what Hal Jordan has done is greater than being a key character in what is largely thought of as one of the best comic book cartoons ever, which was watched by millions and millions over the course of years and still watched now... I'm not sure what to tell you. What has Hal Jordan done that is on that scale? Be in a terrible, critically panned movie that lost money? I don't think that's the sort of thing that gets you popular. I mean, that is one of the reasons many people don't want to see him.

And I'm not sure what differences between "comic book John" and "DCAU John" have to do with anything. Bruce Timm made changes to John Stewart because they supported the dynamic between the characters he wanted for the show he was working on, and he could afford to make them since, at the time, John Stewart wasn't a very well established character in the minds of the public. He also made changes to Wally West. Are you going to say he did that because of some deficiency in Wally's character, too? Again, he made those changes to make the dynamic between the Leaguers more interesting.

Also, not to sound confrontational or rude, but it really does not matter to me which Green Lantern you prefer or why. Whatever your reasons are, they're your own reasons and that's fine with me.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@desh said:

@lvenger:

How can I over represent John Stewart's popularity? The polls represent themselves, and what I said is true. If you believe that what Hal Jordan has done is greater than being a key character in what is largely thought of as one of the best comic book cartoons ever, which was watched by millions and millions over the course of years and still watched now... I'm not sure what to tell you. What has Hal Jordan done that is on that scale? Be in a terrible, critically panned movie that lost money? I don't think that's the sort of thing that gets you popular. I mean, that is one of the reasons many people don't want to see him.

And I'm not sure what differences between "comic book John" and "DCAU John" have to do with anything. Bruce Timm made changes to John Stewart because they supported the dynamic between the characters he wanted for the show he was working on, and he could afford to make them since, at the time, John Stewart wasn't a very well established character in the minds of the public. He also made changes to Wally West. Are you going to say he did that because of some deficiency in Wally's character, too? Again, he made those changes to make the dynamic between the Leaguers more interesting.

Also, not to sound confrontational or rude, but it really does not matter to me which Green Lantern you prefer or why. Whatever your reasons are, they're your own reasons and that's fine with me.

True

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Captain13

@mysoulz said:

@desh said:

@lvenger:

True

Win. The article Desh posted is really well written. Will you post it here on another thread?

Also, this audio clip may interest you: http://lucwiz50.tumblr.com/post/60723339751/audio_player_iframe/lucwiz50/tumblr_mstyg4mBYi1sbfhn2?audio_file=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tumblr.com%2Faudio_file%2Flucwiz50%2F60723339751%2Ftumblr_mstyg4mBYi1sbfhn2&color=white&simple=1

One of John's co-creators backs up everything you said, Desh.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Captain13

@jointron33 said:

What the hell is interesting about John Stewart? "Rawhr I is a STRONG BLACK MAN, hear me roar!"

That's it!!!!! He has nothing else to offer, unless ya need a planet or two blown the hell up!

Just because you cannot see past his race doesn't mean other people cannot.

Let me demonstrate your fail in a way you may understand:

What the hell is interesting about [Bruce Wayne]? "Rawhr I is a STRONG WHITE MAN, hear me roar!"

The words you used word diminish any character, fanboy. And the polls speak for themselves.

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's pretty sad when people say all that John has going for him is being black. If the only Green Lantern material one has seen are Geoff Johns comic books, in which John was mishandled and underutilized, then I can see them thinking that. But John was involved in one of the most groundbreaking super hero romances ever with Hawkgirl, and he starred in a comic series that was totally unlike anything Green Lantern has had before or since. Those are just two things. There are plenty more.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TommyJones1945

Since when did DC give a rats @$$ about what IGN readers think.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No matter how much DC is trying to make fans forget John it's nice to see he still has fans

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that all Earth based GL's are more or less mediocre characters,but with that said John at his best (JL/JLU) was/is leagues better than Hal Boredom at his best(supposedly Johns ultra popular and spectacular GL run). Bland Jordan only exists because Johns loves him and he cant let go of his fanboyism,the character is dull,uninspired and shallow,he has as much depth as a cardboard.

"WAH Green Lantern got this",when a character has dialogue like this under a writer who likes him then you there is something seriously wrong.

Jordan sucks period,and no I'm not a Stewart/Rayner fanboy.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad Pitt could be great John Stewart.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer Chadwick Boseman, Idris Elba, or Boris Kodjoe.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian said:

I would prefer Chadwick Boseman, Idris Elba, or Boris Kodjoe.

Idris Elba would be great, but I like Pitt more :D

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Desh

Chadwick Boseman gets my vote, too. I really like Idris Elba (Obsessed is kinda' a guilty pleasure of mine, and I loved him in that), but I think he's a bit too old for the role. Especially if sequels and things are to happen in the future. I'd prefer someone more fresh.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By CheeseSticks

Brad Pitt as John Stewart?... ehhh no please.

I'm happy to see John as the most popular. He's my favorite and i think that a movie with John will be more popular than with Hal. His cartoons got canceled, he's movie was horrible and he's a douche

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Captain13

@desh said:

Chadwick Boseman gets my vote, too. I really like Idris Elba (Obsessed is kinda' a guilty pleasure of mine, and I loved him in that), but I think he's a bit too old for the role. Especially if sequels and things are to happen in the future. I'd prefer someone more fresh.

Totally agreed. He would have been my number one choice if it weren't for his age. You just know that they would try to turn him into the magical negro mentor trope for a younger white hero in the sequel, haha. Most people know that he should be the center piece of the franchise. Further down the line, I'd like to see John Boyega in the role when he's in his late 20s or early 30s. He was great in Attack the Block.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Captain13

He would be a better Martian Manhunter. ;-P

No Caption Provided

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By bigcimmerian

@bigcimmerian said:

He would be a better Martian Manhunter. ;-P

No Caption Provided

Nah bro trust me, he'd be totally awesome as John Stewart! :D

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that all Earth based GL's are more or less mediocre characters,but with that said John at his best (JL/JLU) was/is leagues better than Hal Boredom at his best(supposedly Johns ultra popular and spectacular GL run). Bland Jordan only exists because Johns loves him and he cant let go of his fanboyism,the character is dull,uninspired and shallow,he has as much depth as a cardboard.

"WAH Green Lantern got this",when a character has dialogue like this under a writer who likes him then you there is something seriously wrong.

Jordan sucks period,and no I'm not a Stewart/Rayner fanboy.

This post made laugh

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.