Follow

John Romita

Person » John Romita is credited in 1229 issues.

John Romita is one of the legendary "Marvel Bullpen" artists of the Silver Age of comics. Co-Creator of Mary Jane Watson, The Punisher and Wolverine.

John Romita Sr's Variant Cover for Avengers #1

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

I have pointed out various times on the site that I don't like John Romita Jr's art... I do think is good, I think all looks good in proportion, but when it comes to rating it... it looks sloppy and everything that happens from the shoulders up, looks wrong.

I am going to read the new Avengers title, but to my dismay I will have to endure Romita Jr's art through it! On the other hand John Romita Sr's art... I love!
    Classics are always good:

No Caption Provided

Marvel.com shows off the variant cover to the upcoming Avengers #1, as drawn by John Romita Sr., legendary artist and father of the comic's artist, John Romita Jr.

Source

I think that if I had the money I would in fact get this cover rather than Jr.'s...
    What do you think?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

This cover is awful.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Martian
    @Vance Astro said:
    " This cover is awful. "
    I agree. Why does it feel like the actual Avengers are getting the worst art out of all of them?
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Nice JR SR is a beast

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

that cover isn't very good but I usually like JR JR's work especially on Spider-man

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @danhimself said:

" that cover isn't very good but I usually like JR JR's work especially on Spider-man "

Agreed but especially on DD :) 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Nobody said:
    Why does it feel like the actual Avengers are getting the worst art out of all of them? "
    Because Heroic Age is the new Heroes Reborn and Heroes Reborn kicked off with Leifeld's art.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Better than his sons id say.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " Better than his sons id say. "
    uh uh....
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By devilmanex

JR SR definitely draws the new Iron man armor better than JR JR does.  I love JR JR but the promo shots of his drawings for Iron Man's new armor I find atrocious.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    " Better than his sons id say. "
    Yep!
    The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By The Jeff

Romita Sr. is the best, this cover though....not so much

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

I actually prefer Jr over Sr. Dunno why.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@Vance Astro said:
    "This cover is awful. "

It's meant to have a classical look, you have to respect the classics
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @reaper2923 said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    "This cover is awful. "
    It's meant to have a classical look, you have to respect the classics "
    Well, then the classics are awful. Sorry. =P
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spidey 15
    @Nobody said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " This cover is awful. "
    I agree. Why does it feel like the actual Avengers are getting the worst art out of all of them? "

Actually spider-man is getting the worst art since the Gauntlet begun...=[
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @spidey 15 said:
    " @Nobody said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " This cover is awful. "
    I agree. Why does it feel like the actual Avengers are getting the worst art out of all of them? "
    Actually spider-man is getting the worst art since the Gauntlet begun...=[ "
    Untrue. Aside from that Electro story art, his art has been great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:
    " @reaper2923 said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    "This cover is awful. "
    Well, then the classics are awful. Sorry. =P "

Well he was a legend in his own time people are just used to the newer art
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @reaper2923 said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

" @reaper2923 said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    "This cover is awful. "
    Well he was a legend in his own time people are just used to the newer art "
    I know, his art is good, I was jk. I do prefer his son's though. Especially when it comes to this cover, aside from the Iron Man armor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:
    "@reaper2923 said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

" @reaper2923 said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    "This cover is awful. "
    Well he was a legend in his own time people are just used to the newer art "
    I know, his art is good, I was jk. I do prefer his son's though. Especially when it comes to this cover, aside from the Iron Man armor. "

Yeah his art looks a little too much like Kirby's
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spidey 15
    @InnerVenom123:
    Personally i think the only good art it was in ASM #617. Maybe if the coloring was better so the whole art.... 

Anyway this is off-topic...JR SR made a pretty cool Iron-man...=]
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LT1085

Both of the Romita's (junior and senior)art makes my skin crawl and feel insulted as an artist and a comic fan. Senior has my repect but needs to retire...Junior needs to take a f*cking art class and get into the industry they way everyone else did and not because you're someone important's 'kid'.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @LT1085 said:
    " Both of the Romita's (junior and senior)art makes my skin crawl and feel insulted as an artist and a comic fan. Senior has my repect but needs to retire...Junior needs to take a f*cking art class and get into the industry they way everyone else did and not because you're someone important's 'kid'. "
    What's wrong with Jr's art?
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LT1085
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @LT1085 said:
    " Both of the Romita's (junior and senior)art makes my skin crawl and feel insulted as an artist and a comic fan. Senior has my repect but needs to retire...Junior needs to take a f*cking art class and get into the industry they way everyone else did and not because you're someone important's 'kid'. "
    What's wrong with Jr's art? "
    Its is an atrocity to the art world. He is considered a professional and makes his living off of it. Imagine going to a really nice restaurant were a famous chef is preparing your favorite meal, you are paying for it out of your own pocket but it is ok because you really like this restaurant and it should be well worth it...BUT it turns out that this famous chef never went to cooking school and all of his food tastes like sh!t, but his dad was a pretty good cook, back in his day........
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @LT1085 said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

" @LT1085 said:
    Its is an atrocity to the art world. He is considered a professional and makes his living off of it. Imagine going to a really nice restaurant were a famous chef is preparing your favorite meal, you are paying for it out of your own pocket but it is ok because you really like this restaurant and it should be well worth it...BUT it turns out that this famous chef never went to cooking school and all of his food tastes like sh!t, but his dad was a pretty good cook, back in his day........ "
    You didn't answer my question, you just further described your hatred of his art and came up with a metaphor. What's wrong with JRJR's art? And if "It's is an atrocity to the art world." is your answer, then I'm afraid I'd like you to be more specific, please :)
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spidey 15
    @LT1085:
    Actually JR JR is pretty good on body i believe.... i hate his art on face.... that's why i believe he makes great work on spidey...b/c his mask covers his whole face..=]
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Sparda

JRJR is one of my favourite artists, and I always thought that JRSR's art was sweet in the older issues. This cover at first is pretty striking because of how "no-frills" it is, but I really like it. Something about the classic style it's giving off....I'm digging it. Sweet.

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By The Jeff

@ reaper2923   
    Romita's art looks nothing like Kirby's. 
    Romita (sadly) has lost his touch. His art has too much of a strong resemblance to his son's, which is simplistic and sometimes uninspired. This cover just shows that his skill (again sad to say) is declining :(

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Caligula
    @Vance Astro said:
    " This cover is awful. "
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LT1085
    @InnerVenom123 said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

" @LT1085 said:

Its is an atrocity to the art world. He is considered a professional and makes his living off of it. Imagine going to a really nice restaurant were a famous chef is preparing your favorite meal, you are paying for it out of your own pocket but it is ok because you really like this restaurant and it should be well worth it...BUT it turns out that this famous chef never went to cooking school and all of his food tastes like sh!t, but his dad was a pretty good cook, back in his day........ "
    You didn't answer my question, you just further described your hatred of his art and came up with a metaphor. What's wrong with JRJR's art? And if "It's is an atrocity to the art world." is your answer, than I'm afraid I'd like you to be more specific, please :) "
    haha I suppose I did. His understanding of anatomy is almost indefensible, If it weren't for Rob Liefeld existing, I'm sure SOMEONE would have said something to him about it by now. Everything he does is sloppy and only makes sense at times because people have seen the way other people have drawn characters and environments, so they know what he is attempting to do. How can someone who has been doing this for as long as he has, with eyes that see the world around him everyday, still be so horrible at interpreting it, and not get fired? To me, this guy has ruined every comic that he has ever drawn. We can see a comparison of other top industry artists, to what ever the hell you want to call what JRJR does...

Marko Djurdjevic  

Steve McNiven

JRJR. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @LT1085 said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:

" @LT1085 said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

" @LT1085 said:

You didn't answer my question, you just further described your hatred of his art and came up with a metaphor. What's wrong with JRJR's art? And if "It's is an atrocity to the art world." is your answer, than I'm afraid I'd like you to be more specific, please :) "
    haha I suppose I did. His understanding of anatomy is almost indefensible, If it weren't for Rob Liefeld existing, I'm sure SOMEONE would have said something to him about it by now. Everything he does is sloppy and only makes sense at times because people have seen the way other people have drawn characters and environments, so they know what he is attempting to do. How can someone who has been doing this for as long as he has, with eyes that see the world around him everyday, still be so horrible at interpreting it, and not get fired? To me, this guy has ruined every comic that he has ever drawn. We can see a comparison of other top industry artists, to what ever the hell you want to call what JRJR does...

Marko Djurdjevic  

Steve McNiven

JRJR. 

"
    Um.... I don't get how JRJR's art is bad compared to that. I know the anatomy is off a little bit, but I like the style. I guess it just looks different, but in a good way, at least imo.

BTW, what do you think of this artist's work?

Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man #4
    Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man #4
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LT1085
    @InnerVenom123: I guess we see things differently. I am not a real fan of that artist either though i greatly prefer it over JRJR's. The problem I have with that artist's style is that the artist goes overboard on the surrealism way to often and I frequently find myself wondering what the hell it is that I'm looking.
    pinchpaker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pinchpaker29

Marvel should give doing the art for the main Avengers title other people... Sorry if it offends any fans but, it does suck... bot Jr's and Sr's cover...  be honest with thy selves... :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.