Why should I start reading Hellblazer?

#1 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of my friends are recommending to me Hellblazer,but they aren't giving me a good reason why should I start reading this book.So can somebody give me a good reason?

#2 Edited by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I endorse it

Moderator
#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously though, there are many good reasons to buy it, the first and foremost of which is that it's the best ongoing comic from either of the Big Two right now...also, because the writing is so fluid and you never really know what's coming next but it's always awesome...and because the art is awesome whether it be Camuncoli or Bisley

also...look at those covers and tell me you don't feel the need to own them

Moderator
#4 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

Seriously though, there are many good reasons to buy it, the first and foremost of which is that it's the best ongoing comic from either of the Big Two right now...also, because the writing is so fluid and you never really know what's coming next but it's always awesome...and because the art is awesome whether it be Camuncoli or Bisley

also...look at those covers and tell me you don't feel the need to own them

This

#5 Edited by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

If they are telling you too I would hope that it is because they think you will like it or cause you like similar comics. If you like mature supernatural type comics though you will most likely like it, if you can actually get through the first 20 or so issues (the most dense issues to read) and like it your love for the series will grow with each issue.

Edited to add:

Going by your pull-list I don't think you will like it much.

Moderator
#6 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

Because I endorse it

pic looks strangely familiar...
BB

#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

If they are telling you too I would hope that it is because they think you will like it or cause you like similar comics. If you like mature supernatural type comics though you will most likely like it, if you can actually get through the first 20 or so issues (the most dense issues to read) and like it your love for the series will grow with each issue.

Edited to add:

Going by your pull-list I don't think you will like it much.

Hey now, no need to be the Negative Nancy...you can have a pull-list of comics, then read another one and completely change your opinion on what comics you enjoy, that happened to me

Moderator
#8 Edited by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost: true but nothing in his pull list, fav heroes, villians, artists or writers shows an inclination to like Hellblazer, the fact that the OP is getting Haunt is a little odd (might just be cause they like the art) but other then that Zatanna is the closest thing genre/style wise to Hellblazer. There is also the fact that Hellblazer is very dense at the beginning, lot of reading, lot of thinking and contemplating and nothing in the OP's pull list is very thought intensive, not saying any of them are bad or anything, I read everything on that list but they are mindless entertainment.

Moderator
#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I've also heard that reading Hellblazer:

  • makes you more alluring to the ladies
  • causes bank errors that result in large sums of cash heading your way
  • is an instant win in the minds of 60% of voters
  • allows you to talk with the dead
  • cures your insanity...by making you think you're normal...even though that's a lie
Moderator
#10 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it f**king awesome. This coming from a dude that doesn't really read Vertigo. Until some random dude convinced me to. *Cough* Aztek *Cough*

#11 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

I've also heard that reading Hellblazer:

  • allows you to talk with aztek

fixed.
BB

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried to read it but I don't know where to start.

#13 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: well yes but I think we need to take baby steps with our friend here and suggest the current Hellblazer run by Milligan...I mean when somebody asks if they should read some X-Men series, you think of the current writer's run when you answer...not the entire series, I think the same rule applies here

and then, if they enjoy the current Hellblazer stuff, they can go look at some of the older stuff...I mean let's face it, starting from the beginning...very few people would probably ever get to the current run if they had to enjoy everything before it as a prerequisite (including myself)...and I think Original Sins at least is accessible, it's once you get to Fear Machine you start losing people...and I mean most Hellblazer isn't even available in trades that are actively in print so just getting the current stuff seems the best approach for someone who just wants to test the waters

Moderator
#14 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

If they are telling you too I would hope that it is because they think you will like it or cause you like similar comics. If you like mature supernatural type comics though you will most likely like it, if you can actually get through the first 20 or so issues (the most dense issues to read) and like it your love for the series will grow with each issue.

Edited to add:

Going by your pull-list I don't think you will like it much.

first 20 issues of Delano's run?
BB

#15 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

I tried to read it but I don't know where to start.

#251 is the best starting point if you want to catch up to the current stuff as it's the beginning of Milligan's run

although really you could probably jump in at various places throughout the series, I'm sure you could even enjoy just random individual trades...yes, stuff ties together but there are many breaking points where the previous stuff isn't really essential to understanding the book

Moderator
#16 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Because it f**king awesome. This coming from a dude that doesn't really read Vertigo. Until some random dude convinced me to. *Cough* Aztek *Cough*

that's right...convinced, nothing sinister

Moderator
#17 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost: hey thanks next time, I will look for it.

#18 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore. Jamie Delano. Garth Ennis. Paul Jenkins. Warren Ellis. Brian Azzarello. Mike Carey. Peter Milligan. Grant Morrison. Neil Gaiman. There's a reason why the top writing talents of the industry have put their time in on this character. This series has been, consistently, the best written title published by DC Comics for over 20 years. The book is dark, provocative, horrific, absurdly funny, with a roguish protagonist who is, at once, a noble man & a right royal bastard. Honestly, I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't buy the book.

#19 Posted by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost: eh I've never been a fan of not starting at the beginning, just not my style. If a person has to do it though it would be better to start on one of the stand alone OGN's like Pandemonium.

@Billy Batson: ya, I've only been able to read the whole series (up to 2009) once, I've tried four or five times to re-read it but I can never get through the second trade, it's just so dense and hard to keep interested so I taper off usually in the first trade but sometimes in the second. I've been planning on making another attempt soon though since I'm working through the Swamp Thing trades of the '86 series, should be reading the fourth one later today or tomorrow.

Moderator
#20 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper:

You're an odd penguin. Complaining about Delano's run. People usually complain about Mina's run.
BB

#21 Posted by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Mina's run was a bit tough but ok, I'm more iffy on old Vertigo, I can't stand Invisibles and I didn't start liking Sandman until this year.

Moderator
#22 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: it's not my style not to start from the beginning either but Hellblazer is a big thing to expect someone to catch up on when it's most likely people are talking about it because of the current happenings...I could understand if the series was ended and someone recommended it, but if you just want to be able to add it to your pull-list, it would take a long time to catch up just to get to the current stuff and then it's quite possible stuff that doesn't properly reflect the most recent decade turns you off when you're reading the first decade or something like that...I think my favorite OGN is All His Engines personally, although I'm sure some of the trades of the series would read like OGN's (Ellis' stuff for example?)

Moderator
#23 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

Because it f**king awesome. This coming from a dude that doesn't really read Vertigo. Until some random dude convinced me to. *Cough* Aztek *Cough*

that's right...convinced, nothing sinister

Yep, I'm not going to mention that there was any sort of knife involved or anything. It was just a friendly conversation where I was convinced.

Seriously though, John Constantine is one of the pearls of the Comic Books and a unique experience unto itself.

#24 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

Alan Moore. Jamie Delano. Garth Ennis. Paul Jenkins. Warren Ellis. Brian Azzarello. Mike Carey. Peter Milligan. Grant Morrison. Neil Gaiman. There's a reason why the top writing talents of the industry have put their time in on this character. This series has been, consistently, the best written title published by DC Comics for over 20 years. The book is dark, provocative, horrific, absurdly funny, with a roguish protagonist who is, at once, a noble man & a right royal bastard. Honestly, I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't buy the book.

No Andy Diggle? What about Jason Aaron? Or even Eddie Campbell (didn't like his story personally but come on, he's kind of a big deal I think).

Moderator
#25 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

@Billy Batson: Mina's run was a bit tough but ok, I'm more iffy on old Vertigo, I can't stand Invisibles and I didn't start liking Sandman until this year.

shakes head

I can understand not liking some old Vertigo like the weird stuff which probably isn't for everyone but those are classics I say, classics!

Moderator
#26 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper:

So you're saying Mina's run is better than Delano's? O.o
Well I like both eras of Vertigo, the 90's and the '00-11 era though the Invisibles isn't really my cup of tea.
BB

#27 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

Alan Moore. Jamie Delano. Garth Ennis. Paul Jenkins. Warren Ellis. Brian Azzarello. Mike Carey. Peter Milligan. Grant Morrison. Neil Gaiman. There's a reason why the top writing talents of the industry have put their time in on this character. This series has been, consistently, the best written title published by DC Comics for over 20 years. The book is dark, provocative, horrific, absurdly funny, with a roguish protagonist who is, at once, a noble man & a right royal bastard. Honestly, I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't buy the book.

Gaiman only wrote one issue and the same goes for Moore or was it just an introduction? Morrison wrote only two issues IIRC. So those writers didn't really give much time for the title :p but yeah pretty much agreed.
BB

#28 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@chalkshark said:

Alan Moore. Jamie Delano. Garth Ennis. Paul Jenkins. Warren Ellis. Brian Azzarello. Mike Carey. Peter Milligan. Grant Morrison. Neil Gaiman. There's a reason why the top writing talents of the industry have put their time in on this character. This series has been, consistently, the best written title published by DC Comics for over 20 years. The book is dark, provocative, horrific, absurdly funny, with a roguish protagonist who is, at once, a noble man & a right royal bastard. Honestly, I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't buy the book.

Gaiman only wrote one issue and the same goes for Moore or was it just an introduction? Morrison wrote only two issues IIRC. So those writers didn't really give much time for the title :p but yeah pretty much agreed.
BB

he said character, not series...Moore wrote Swamp Thing and Gaiman used Constantine in Sandman (although briefly) and Morrison has used him elsewhere I'm sure (can't think of it right now, although he has parodied the character and used rip-offs of him in Doom Patrol)

Moderator
#29 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

@aztek_the_lost: true but nothing in his pull list, fav heroes, villians, artists or writers shows an inclination to like Hellblazer, the fact that the OP is getting Haunt is a little odd (might just be cause they like the art) but other then that Zatanna is the closest thing genre/style wise to Hellblazer. There is also the fact that Hellblazer is very dense at the beginning, lot of reading, lot of thinking and contemplating and nothing in the OP's pull list is very thought intensive, not saying any of them are bad or anything, I read everything on that list but they are mindless entertainment.

That's why I made this topic.Because I don't read anything similar to Hellblazer,but I think I will like it.

#30 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

he said character, not series...Moore wrote Swamp Thing and Gaiman used Constantine in Sandman (although briefly) and Morrison has used him elsewhere I'm sure (can't think of it right now, although he has parodied the character and used rip-offs of him in Doom Patrol)

I know but it's about the series not the character so :p
BB

#31 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

he said character, not series...Moore wrote Swamp Thing and Gaiman used Constantine in Sandman (although briefly) and Morrison has used him elsewhere I'm sure (can't think of it right now, although he has parodied the character and used rip-offs of him in Doom Patrol)

I know but it's about the series not the character so :p
BB

yeah but some of the best Hellblazer stuff isn't part of the main series and some of the worst is, so I think his point is valid

Moderator
#32 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Billy Batson said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

he said character, not series...Moore wrote Swamp Thing and Gaiman used Constantine in Sandman (although briefly) and Morrison has used him elsewhere I'm sure (can't think of it right now, although he has parodied the character and used rip-offs of him in Doom Patrol)

I know but it's about the series not the character so :p
BB

yeah but some of the best Hellblazer stuff isn't part of the main series and some of the worst is, so I think his point is valid

THE MAIN TITLE IS THE ONLY TITLE WORTH MENTIONING...except for Swamp Thing. And I said that I agree :p
BB

#33 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson:  Just to clarify, Moore created the character, in Swamp Thing, so he wrote the earliest Constantine stories. You are correct, though, in that he never wrote the Hellblazer series proper. Gaiman did only write one issue of Hellblazer, but it was pretty much a perfect issue. One of the best stories I've ever read. Gaiman also stole Constantine for his Books of Magic mini-series, as well as a memorable appearance in Sandman. I agree that Morrison could have done more, but at least you get a taste of what a Morrsion Hellblazer run might have been. 
#34 Posted by Billy Batson (58152 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark:

Yeah I've read the first stories with John but they were more about Swamp Thing and John was just a side character since the title was Swamp Thing. Great stories though.
BB

#35 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek_the_lost: I neither dispute the contribution nor the quality of Andy Diggle, Eddie Campbell, or even Denise Mina's talents as writer's for the Hellblazer series. I just didn't feel their names were as recognizable to the average fan, as the writers I listed. Ultimately, though, my point stands. Regardless of who writes the series, Hellblazer is a must read for anyone who enjoys good storytelling, & ... Hell... just plain old good comics.
#36 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson: Agreed. Those stories, though, were where the foundation of Constantine's character was laid, so I include the reference. If TDK_1997 really wants to tackle John Constantine, might as well take it all the way. If that means that Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run gets read, too,... well... that's not exactly a bad thing.
#37 Posted by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@pikahyper said:

@Billy Batson: Mina's run was a bit tough but ok, I'm more iffy on old Vertigo, I can't stand Invisibles and I didn't start liking Sandman until this year.

shakes head

I can understand not liking some old Vertigo like the weird stuff which probably isn't for everyone but those are classics I say, classics!

I love the weird stuff, I'm one of very few people that read Muktuk Wolfsbreath and loved it; Outlaw Nation, Cruel and Unusual, Flinch, Filth, 2020 Visions, Ghostdancing all of them were perfection, it wasn't "cool" to be reading that stuff when it was first being published but I devoured it, there are very few Vertigo books I don't like and I've read almost all of them and almost all of the ones I didn't like it was based on age cause I read them when I was still in high school and as I re-read them now I love them. There is only two series that I continue to dislike; Invisibles and Books of Magic, I re-read Invisibles three years ago and still didn't like it, Books of Magic I plan on re-reading, at least the ongoing series, I won't re-read the BS Life During Wartime and I'll probably end up liking the ongoing but I'm not holding my breath.

Moderator
#38 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I say so .. lol

#39 Posted by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark: JC by Alan Moore in Swamp Thing is totally worth reading, I'd even go so far as to say that that should be the first thing to read if a person just wants to dip their toe in, nothing cooler then underwater f**kin vampires, god damn genius.

Moderator
#40 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper: That was a great story. Fond memories of it to this day.
#41 Posted by pikahyper (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark: I'm shocked that nobody has stolen the idea cause it really makes sense and there are just sooo many stories that could be created from it, would be even better then 30 Days of Night, just have a vamp find Atlantis and the call goes out and you have an entire kingdom just full of them taking down fishing ships and cargo ships.

Moderator
#42 Posted by chalkshark (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper:  It's even more amazing when you consider that Varnae, historically Marvel's first vampire, was an Atlantean sorcerer prior to becoming a vampire. How no one has connected the dots since then is just astonishing. Perhaps there will be an I, Vampire / Aquaman crossover that will see that idea bear fruit. Awful, awful fruit that will haunt your children's dreams.  
 
Barring that, I'd be all for Aquaman paying a return visit to that town in Swamp Thing. So many possible avenues to reach the destination, if only someone will start the car.
#43 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

If your into a more darker and sadistic tone, than Hellblazer is for you. Its got a lot of what some comic fans don't tend to like, such as language, nudity, and all that stuff (which in contrast to those it offends, is actually why i like it). As for a jump on point, just about any time in which a new writer takes over imo. Most recently and currently Peter Milligan. But to catch up i would recommend the Original Sins and Dangerous Habits arcs, those two are definetly must reads imo.

#44 Posted by jaywray (631 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

I've also heard that reading Hellblazer:

  • makes you more alluring to the ladies
  • causes bank errors that result in large sums of cash heading your way
  • is an instant win in the minds of 60% of voters
  • allows you to talk with the dead
  • cures your insanity...by making you think you're normal...even though that's a lie

I... I think I love this.

#45 Posted by FacetiousBeard (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I thoroughly enjoy Hellblazer for a number of reasons but one that I particularly enjoy is the 'All myths are true' universe leading to a large variety of story lines and a sizeable roster of characters, and that the principal one is one of the finest world-saving selfish pricks I enjoy reading. Also, those stories are always well written/clever or, failing that, are full of death, demons and swearing which, sometimes, is just what you need.

#46 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine tricks (an alternate version of) Satan into drinking holy water then gives him the finger.

He tricks the Lords of Hell into an impossible negotiating position that basically ensures he will more than likely be immortal.

Read Dangerous Habits, Son of Man and Warren Ellis' run. Then stick around and enjoy the best anti-hero EVER written (in all mediums) IMHBAO =)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.