Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1561 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Where to start with Constantine?

yoshikiuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yoshikiuk

I have Delano's Hellblazer run, and want to try to read the series chronologically from there, but i know that Alan Moore created Constantine in Swamp Thing. In the first few issues of Hellblazer there is reference to 'Emma' and some ghosts that are haunting Constantine after the apparently had something to do with their deaths. Do these events happen in Swamp Thing, and if so which issues? And are there any other issues of Swamp Thing that have an effect on future Hellblazer storylines?

Thanks.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

Eh, haven't read the early Hellblazer and Swamp Thing in a long time but I'll try. I'll be soon reading both series fully though.

The issue that you're referring to is most likely issue #4. It's not Emma but Gemma, John's niece. The issue isn't connected to Swamp Thing.

Hellblazer and Swamp Thing do have a small crossover in issues #9 and 10 of Hellblazer and #76 of Swamp Thing. The Swamp Thing issue happens between those issues. Pretty sure that the new edition of Original Sins collects those issues.

John Constantine also appears in these issues of Swamp Thing and you can see the trades in the volume page. It's not fully collected though.

BB

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    The crossover is the root (pun unintended) of John's tattoo. Hilarious stuff. 

@Billy Batson: Emma was his girlfriend that (surprisingly, I know) died because of him. I think # 1 references her and/or shows her on panel as a ghost that is only visible to John.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

@Morpheus_:

Bah, such an obscure character that you tend to forget. According to CV she died in issue #37 of The Saga of Swamp Thing. So the OP should read that as well.
    I see that you're too lazy of a mod to move the thread :p
    BB

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Billy Batson: Hh. Justifying my besting you, senior Batson! :P 

I hadn't even noticed, actually. It shall be done momentarily.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.