Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1560 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Where to start in HELLBLAZER!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Squalleon

I wanna start reading Hellblazer so......does anyone know a good starting point except issue 1 :-P

thanks in advance!

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I think it starts at Hunger IIRC

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

ask ....he's the one who got me started but I forget where he told me to start

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Squalleon: Honestly, you might as well start with #1, since it won't be continuing past February. Otherwise, why not start with Peter Milligan's run? He's the current and final writer for the series and started with 250, I believe.
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon

@Kal'smahboi: @danhimself: @The_Lunact_And_Manic: Thanks :-)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Billy Batson

You can just start reading it from any writer's run but it can be rewarding if you've read some past stuff for some of the runs.
    But like others said, just start from the beginning.
    BB

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @aztek_the_lost said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@Squalleon: Honestly, you might as well start with #1, since it won't be continuing past February. Otherwise, why not start with Peter Milligan's run? He's the current and final writer for the series and started with 250, I believe.

This is pretty much the best answer (although his run technically began with #251, 250 was an anthology). They are making new trades and collecting issues that had previously never been collected and since the series has been cancelled, it's really the best time to catch up from the beginning. You'll get some bad issues (some even awful) here and there usually because of guest writers but for the most part, the series is good for all 25 years of its run. Everything in Milligan's run (#251-300) is amazing though.

Yeah, I'm taking the opportunity to start from the beginning, since I only started around #280-something. I've read Original Sins but I'm very excited to start collecting further and reading the rest of this great series.

In other news, I came across a first edition copy of Hellblazer #1 that had never been removed from the original shipping box since 1988. It's in mint condition. I'm very excited to have it :)
    Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Epicbeast3000

I DAH BEAST

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By spinningbirdcake

I hear issue #300 is supposed to be a really good jumping on point.

Avatar image for thelaughingmagician103
    TheLaughingMagician103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

start with the "original sins " collection. has all of the first 9 issues as well as his appearances in swamp thing (if you're getting this version, that is ) :

http://www.amazon.com/John-Constantine-Hellblazer-Vol-Original/dp/1401230067/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434221223&sr=8-1&keywords=hellblazer+original+sins

Vonstantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear issue #300 is supposed to be a really good jumping on point.

Not at all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.