My Dream Hellblazer Game

#1 Edited by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wanted to share with you all my dream idea for a Hellblazer video game.

Title: HELLBLAZER

I know, not the most creative title in the world, but honestly, I think it works just fine.

Developer: Telltale Games

Why Telltale? Well, for one, they've already adapted the Vertigo series 'Fables' into a game called The Wolf Among Us. This makes them a likely candidate for another Vertigo-based game series - Hellblazer

Another reason I think Telltale would be a perfect developer for the game is because they're style and gameplay just suit the world of Hellblazer and the sort of character Constantine is. John isn't about to fight his way through hordes of enemies single handedly.

No sir, John's the sort of guy to manipulate his enemies and friends into fulfilling his goals, use magic to affect surroundings and make difficult (sometimes morally questionable) decisions all for the greater good.

Telltale has proven their brilliance in creating this sort of experience, with their critically acclaimed Walking Dead videogame series.

Gameplay:

Much like Telltale's other games, Hellblazer will be a point and click adventure with a heavy emphasis on choice.

To use The Walking Dead as a frame for reference again, you can interact with objects and pick up relevant ones (such as book with a useful spell, a piece of chalk to draw a sigil or a demonic artifact), investigate objects via your icon/mouse/clicker-thing and perform most options with your right click/A button/X button.

Illusion casting is a major part of the game. John has to choose what his target sees when he puts them in an illusion, in order to trick them. The player chooses from a selection of 4 different illusions depending on who they are casting it on and where. If the illusion is out of place or does not suit the person it is being cast on, they will break the illusion.

Storyline:

The first installment of the game will take place across 5 episodes. Each episode will draw heavily from the source material of the comic to form the plot, yet will not be a direct adaption. For example, the overarching plot will be John attempting to battle against the First of the Fallen and rescue the soul of his damned friend that he was responsible for. In episode 4, it's revealed John has lung cancer, giving him another reason to go after the FotF.

The man himself:

If it were up to me, John would be voiced by Robin Atkin Downes (the voice of Manchester Black in Superman vs the Elite).

Much like in TWD, the player can choose John's responses through a dialogue tree. John's attitude towards certain characters changes based on how he acts. If he decides to act like jerk to one character, he may not be able to count on them later in the game, while if he befriends another character, they may choose to come to his aid (though obviously, that might not always work out so well for them).

John's choice of words can also affect how he gets out of situations. He may choose to use his silver tongue to fool an enemy into siding with him, talk them into killing themselves or, if we can't talk his way out, use an illusion to trick them. These are only some of the examples of how John can apply his charm.

In short:

Have the Walking Dead as a template. Except less zombies and more magic, less Lee/Clementine and more John, less post-apocalypse and more rapture etc. You get the gist.

...Actually, Clementine might be a cool edition.

Oh and just for the hell of it, make this the credits song:

#2 Edited by JonSmith (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd play a Telltale Hellblazer game. Granted, the main aspect of Constantine's personality is that he's a double crossing, smooth talking, backstabbing son of a b****. So putting his morality and tone of speech up to the player might easily take him out of character.

#3 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

I'd play a Telltale Hellblazer game. Granted, the main aspect of Constantine's personality is that he's a double crossing, smooth talking, backstabbing son of a b****. So putting his morality and tone of speech up to the player might easily take him out of character.

He could simply have different shades of slimy bastard.

#4 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry @veshark I got a bit distracted with this to finish off my closing argument.

I was inspired by your pitch for a Captain America game.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

oh god yes

#6 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: @jonny_anonymous:

What do you guys think of the 'Illusion casting' game mechanic I thought of? It would only be implemented on pre-determined characters and such, but I like it.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: yea but there should be some sort of penalty for using it

#8 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: yea but there should be some sort of penalty for using it

Hmm, well John would only use it sparingly anyway. It's not something you could just use on every enemy. Maybe once or twice a mission.

#9 Edited by JonSmith (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you guys think of the 'Illusion casting' game mechanic I thought of? It would only be implemented on pre-determined characters and such, but I like it.

Could be cool. Would encourage exploring all dialogue options to get a better feel for all the characters, just in case you end up turning on them (which, as Constantine, is entirely likely). Might be even cooler if you control how long the illusion goes on: Choose the perfect illusion against an enemy, and you can choose to end it at different points for different effects: Do you want to just scare the enemy for information? Break their minds to send them against another enemy? Or trick them into full on killing themselves, eliminating them?

That'd play into the whole manipulation thing Constantine has. 'Course it would be rarely used, given the intricacies, but the implications could be awesome: Imagine breaking an enemy, and then sending them against another faction to start a war between the two factions, giving Constantine an opening later on. Or scaring him into giving you information on his bosses, giving Constantine more options and avenues of dialogue against them. Or just kill his a**, scaring everyone at Constantine's skills and making them more vulnerable to Constantine's silver tongue by way of fear.

#10 Edited by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@comicstooge said:

Could be cool. Would encourage exploring all dialogue options to get a better feel for all the characters, just in case you end up turning on them (which, as Constantine, is entirely likely). Might be even cooler if you control how long the illusion goes on: Choose the perfect illusion against an enemy, and you can choose to end it at different points for different effects: Do you want to just scare the enemy for information? Break their minds to send them against another enemy? Or trick them into full on killing themselves, eliminating them?

That'd play into the whole manipulation thing Constantine has. 'Course it would be rarely used, given the intricacies, but the implications could be awesome: Imagine breaking an enemy, and then sending them against another faction to start a war between the two factions, giving Constantine an opening later on. Or scaring him into giving you information on his bosses, giving Constantine more options and avenues of dialogue against them. Or just kill his a**, scaring everyone at Constantine's skills and making them more vulnerable to Constantine's silver tongue by way of fear.

Exactly. Endless possibilities.

#11 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry @veshark I got a bit distracted with this to finish off my closing argument.

Don't sweat it, like I said, no rush ;)

Oh yeah, I remember that post. Man, I'd play the poop out of a Cap game like that. Can't comment much here since I'm not too big of a Constantine fan, though I should get around to the old Vertigo stuff (being a Ennis fan and all).

#12 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@comicstooge said:

Oh yeah, I remember that post. Man, I'd play the poop out of a Cap game like that. Can't comment much here since I'm not too big of a Constantine fan, though I should get around to the old Vertigo stuff (being a Ennis fan and all).

Have you played any of Telltale's games, man? I love TWD games (and I don't read the comics or watch the show anymore) and I intend to get the Season pass for TWAU.

#13 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@comicstooge said:

Have you played any of Telltale's games, man? I love TWD games (and I don't read the comics or watch the show anymore) and I intend to get the Season pass for TWAU.

Nah, I've never played their TWD stuff before, but damn - I didn't know they were making a Fables game! That's pretty dope.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: You should write up something similar for the Hellblazer TV show NBC are making

#15 Edited by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@comicstooge said:

@veshark said:

@comicstooge said:

Nah, I've never played their TWD stuff before, but damn - I didn't know they were making a Fables game! That's pretty dope.

I'd heard of Fables, but I'd never known the basic plotline. The game looks cool, though.

Have you seen the trailer?

#16 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: You should write up something similar for the Hellblazer TV show NBC are making

Hmmm, I'll definetly consider it.

Not gonna lie though, a HBO would make me far more optimistic.

#17 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yea definitely, I can see this turning out to be American Heckblazer

#18 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ugh, I hope not.

I wouldn't mind if he goes to America at one point, but the show should start and end in Britain.

#19 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ugh, I hope not.

I wouldn't mind if he goes to America at one point, but the show should start and end in Britain.

Would be cool to see a traveling Constantine, I kinda want to see him in some dingy Hong Kong back ally for some reason.

#20 Edited by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ugh, I hope not.

Would be cool to see a traveling Constantine, I kinda want to see him in some dingy Hong Kong back ally for some reason.

Haha, I've been to Hong Kong. A grimy back ally there would suit Constantine just fine.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ugh, I hope not.

Haha, I've been to Hong Kong. A grimy back ally there would suit Constantine just fine.

but I cant see them going for that, we'll likely get New York.

#22 Edited by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@comicstooge said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ugh, I hope not.

but I cant see them going for that, we'll likely get New York.

They should a least have him traveling around America.

#23 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger what do you think, being a ConJob fan yourself?

#24 Posted by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: I've heard of Telltale's Walking Dead Games and I have to say your reasoning for wanting them to do a Hellblazer game is very solid indeed. The story sounds like it would fit in with both genres that Telltale and Hellblazer bring to the table, the choice system allows for intricate player made story decisions to be made and the options available are enough that they are accustomed to Telltale's game engine but don't stray at all from what Constantine's abilities are in the comics. A very well written piece indeed my friend, I'd be intrigued in a Hellblazer game now.

#25 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

No Hellblazer game is complete without Johnny doing this...

#26 Edited by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

We need this game

#28 Posted by ComicStooge (12427 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.