Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1558 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Lucy Griffiths Cut From "Constantine" TV Show

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

NBC's upcoming DC Comics-based drama"Constantine" has made a major casting move, with co-star Lucy Griffiths off the show, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The site stated reason for the move: "the show's creators opted to move in a different direction." The role will not be recast, but rather replaced by Zed -- not yet been cast -- a character from early issues of the "Hellblazer" comic.

Griffiths' character Liv, created for the TV series, was positioned as the co-lead of the show; the supernaturally gifted daughter of one of main character John Constantine's (Matt Ryan) oldest friends. NBC's official series description reads: "So, together, Constantine and Liv must use her power and his skills to travel the country, find the demons that threaten our world and send them back where they belong."

THR describes Zed's character as, "a foil for the show's title character who becomes his right-hand woman," and discloses that "additional characters from 'Hellblazer' and the occult DC universe" will be introduced later in the series.

"Constantine" is set to debut at 10 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 24 on NBC, but before that, will be screened on both Wednesday, July 23 and Saturday, July 26 at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

Co-Star Lucy Griffiths Off "Constantine" - Comic Book Resources

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By MrMazz

Having only seen the pilot, while I didn' really enjoy her preformance she is not what is wrong with the pilot (besides the fact that its a pilot). The writing wasn't that good but figured it would even out as they produced more episodes.

cmon Zatanna never mind it appears they are introducing Zed instead

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz: I'm actually glad she's gone

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@jonny_anonymous:

I agree with you and it's cool to get Zed instead. Would be funny if they dropped the character due to the pilot leak's reception, lol.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By LyraFay

Well she was the only thing I had a problem with in the pilot. So fine by me. But I wished Zatanna was going to be in it from the start.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

My problem with the character wasn't the actress, it was that she was basically nothing more than a tool to explain Constantine's world to the audience. She has no character outside of that. Even when they tried to give her specific character traits it just came off as tacked on or rushed. That scene with her mother was pointless, and they fortune cookie scene's creativeness was diminished by the cliche "I want more out of my life, I want an adventure" trait.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

@lyrafay said:

Well she was the only thing I had a problem with in the pilot. So fine by me. But I wished Zatanna was going to be in it from the start.

this

My problem with the character wasn't the actress, it was that she was basically nothing more than a tool to explain Constantine's world to the audience. She has no character outside of that. Even when they tried to give her specific character traits it just came off as tacked on or rushed. That scene with her mother was pointless, and they fortune cookie scene's creativeness was diminished by the cliche "I want more out of my life, I want an adventure" trait.

And this. She was nothing more than an expository device.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By MrMazz

Well they've cast Zed, actress Angelica Celaya, known for her work on Telenovela's and Dallas

No Caption Provided

There's also talk that they could possibly introduce Jim Corrigan who is eventually one of the hosts of the Specter. They claim the talk of "No Smoking" is greatly exagerated and Constantine won't be bisexual in the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.