Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1558 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Interview: Ray Fawkes Talks CONSTANTINE, Magic in Space and Music

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

John Constantine is getting to be a bigger character in the New 52 universe. He's already leading the Justice League Dark and has made numerous appearances in other books. It's starting to look like John is making it his mission to have a hand on several different things.

With a new series coming in March, Ray Fawkes will be writing the series with Jeff Lemire. We recently talked to Ray last month but there's so much we want to know, we took the chance to ask some more questions.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: What will be the goal for John in this series? Will he be seeking out trouble or just coming across it?

Ray Fawkes: He's always looking for trouble. John has a very specific fight he's actually involved in in this series. The first issue will reveal what it is he's after. But he's the instigator in a lot of the stories that are going to happen. In this book, he's the one looking for the trouble. Sooner or later trouble starts to find him because of all the things he's doing. But I would say John is very actively seeking trouble.

CV: In the preview images, we see Sargon the Sorcerer is back but now he's a 'she.' Will this be explained right away?

RF: Oh yeah, absolutely. That's actually Sargon's daughter who has claimed his title and has taken his magic. She has a very specific bone to pick with John.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

CV: Also from the preview, do you have plans for Mister E. to show up?

RF: Absolutely. You'll be seeing him in the first arc of the book actually.

CV: You've mentioned before about keeping this series and JLD going along each other but it's not necessary to read both. Do you plan on keeping those characters out of this book?

RF: You will see some of the people and the characters he deals with in JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK in CONSTANTINE but it won't be so much as a crossover. They are part of his life so you'll see them here and there. I don't think we'll be doing a lot of stories where you need to be reading both stories at the same time.

CV: Since this series won't have the same tone as HELLBLAZER, will we be seeing John partake in his certain habits like smoking and drinking?

RF: Absolutely. John is not your typical hero-type character. He has a lot of vices. You'll see him indulging in just about all of them. I mean sort of the only thing I can't do with him in this title is swearing directly. In the book, he drinks, he smokes, he does a lot of other dirty things.

No Caption Provided

CV: You've mentioned keeping him "under the radar" from other characters, have you thought about how his encounters with heroes like Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman might play out when the time comes?

RF: Yeah, I've actually given a lot of thought to that and that's because readers are going to see that sooner than later. If it was up to John, he would never meet these people. These are the people who are right in the spotlight on the world's stage. John, the way he operates, the things he's trying to do, the less anybody knows about him, the better off he is. Of course he can't get away with it for long. You're gonna see him dealing with individuals like Batman and Superman. You're going to see exactly how John looks in their eyes and how they look in his eyes. That's not always pretty.

CV: Is there anything you can tell us about his involvement with Trinity War?

RF: I can't say anything about that just yet. He is definitely deeply involved.

No Caption Provided

CV: What about crossovers with other books like PHANTOM STRANGER or SWAMP THING?

RF: It's possible. Anything is possible. It's not going to happen in the first three issues, I can tell you that for sure. Down the line, anything is possible. Also, some of those characters may appear in John's book without a direct crossover. Likewise I'm sure, John will show up in some of their books.

CV: We don't see a whole lot of magic in space in the DCU, do you have any thoughts on this?

RF: That will be dealt with a little bit. Over in JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK we're kind of showing that there are other worlds with magic. A little of the mechanics of magic are gone into in CONSTANTINE and there's always the possibility of seeing what magic looks like on other worlds

CV: What's the better song, "Magic" by the Cars or "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band?

RF: I'm going to go with the Cars. I'm a post-punk guy. I was tweeting the other day, I was saying the song John has on vinyl for sure is "I Walk the Line" by Alien Sex Fiend.

No Caption Provided

CONSTANTINE #1 is set for a March 13th release.

Crispy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Crispy91

Looks interesting. Might check it out

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

I bet they conveniently forgets that Constantine is bisexual

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By The_Soverighn

COOL

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Just because they don't mention it in an interview doesn't mean they have forgotten it, that said it's a minor detail.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Just because they don't mention it in an interview doesn't mean they have forgotten it, that said it's a minor detail.

I was referring to how he said the only difference between this book and Hellblazer is the swearing but I bet DC where like "let's just not mention the times John had sex with all them guys"

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xtremekidx

this is quite interesting!would check it out definitely.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By sethysquare

I am so going to buy this. Ray Fawkes did a fantastic job with Batgirl in young romance and it was way better than anything simone did for batgirl, i mean i did like simone's writing, i just think fawkes did it better.

So I'm definitely following everyone of the titles he is writing.

dominicanjoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dominicanjoker

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Batwoman is a lesbian and they aren't shy about it. So I don't think DC should have any problem with him being bisexual.

RockyIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RockyIII

No impressed by the preview pages, at all. Didn't leave me wanting to read more. Not feeling the art or the narration boxes.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@dominicanjoker said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Batwoman is a lesbian and they aren't shy about it. So I don't think DC should have any problem with him being bisexual.

Yea but they sure have a problem with everything else that made John different

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Green ankh

What? He's Bisexuel? when the heck that happen?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

I was referring to how he said the only difference between this book and Hellblazer is the swearing but I bet DC where like "let's just not mention the times John had sex with all them guys"

They'll probably mention it if it's relevant to the story.

Manhunter2070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Manhunter2070

This looks quite promising. Glad to see old Sargon and Mister E get a mention also.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Or they'll just ignore it completely like there doing with the political overtones Hellblazer used to have.

@Green ankh: since issue #51 of Hellblazer

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bladewolf

I had some interest in this when I heard Robert Venditti was writing. Without him, I've got no interest. Don't get my wrong, I love Lemire and what little of Fawkes I've read has been good, but Venditti is a real draw for me.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabat
    Shallbecomeabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shallbecomeabat

What the hell!?!?! this looks like a superhero book??? F**K! I had a lot of goodwill towards this new series, since I love the character too much to just abandon him after he lost Hellblazer, but this totally annihilates every hope I had for this. I am so frikking dissappointed, I can't even describe it. Damn. Even If the story would be great, this isnot what Constantine is about. Everything is all wrong. Really, REALLY sad, guys. John is my second favorite character and I will still buy the first trade to check it out, but I am almost 100% certain that this new Constantine is not for Hellblazer fans. Shame, because I really liked him in JLD. Everything is wrong, his voice, the art, the whole vibe. I really want to puke.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Outside_85

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Why would they? We already have a lesbian Batwoman, a gay Bunker, Apollo and Midnighter. So what makes John so special they thought they should leave his bisexuality in the dust?

Added Fawkes says the only thing he cant do is make him swear.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Why would they? We already have a lesbian Batwoman, a gay Bunker, Apollo and Midnighter. So what makes John so special they thought they should leave his bisexuality in the dust?

Except they can't have him living in Britain, they can't have him missing a thumb or having the scar on his face, they can't have him 50yo, they can't have him married to Epiphany, they can't have his nephew the product of demonic insestius rape, they can't have him hanging out with Chaz and they can't have political tones in the book.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Outside_85

@Jonny_Anonymous: There was a reboot recently that deaged everyone and broke up just about every marriage and restarted just about everyone's history so it should hardly come as a surprise to you that he wasn't spared that.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: There was a reboot recently that deaged everyone and broke up just about every marriage and restarted just about everyone's history so it should hardly come as a surprise to you that he wasn't spared that.

Not quite everyone. Batwoman wasn't de-aged, so there may be some others.

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Don't forget Alan Scott too. :)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Outside_85 said:

The difference between that and this is all the regular DC books have kept there same basic tone and content. This however went straight from a hard r-rated book geared specifically towards adults to a book aimed at teenagers. It's like if they decided to reboot Game of Thrones and restart it as a Saturday morning cartoon and now had it set in china.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By jsphsmth

Looks good. Another great entry into DC's Dark line. Cannot wait.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Outside_85

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Outside_85 said:

The difference between that and this is all the regular DC books have kept there same basic tone and content. This however went straight from a hard r-rated book geared specifically towards adults to a book aimed at teenagers. It's like if they decided to reboot Game of Thrones and restart it as a Saturday morning cartoon and now had it set in china.

You clearly aren't reading Wonder Woman.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Outside_85 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Outside_85 said:

You clearly aren't reading Wonder Woman.

I am and it's not nearly the same.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By deadpool25mm

@Green ankh said:

yea... wtf. why cant they just keep people in normal "mode".

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@deadpool25mm said:

@Green ankh said:

yea... wtf. why cant they just keep people in normal "mode".

What?

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By BKole

Imma let Fawke's finish, but Milligan did the best Hellblazer o' all time.

All Time.

Seriously though, I'll give this a go. They rebooted Animal Man, my all time favourite character, and he came out differenter. He is a different character in many ways, but the same. To be fair, I agree with the comments about it not being set in England as a definite bad time - because even though Johnny is a mank, he belongs primarily in England. I think this is one of the major flaws with American comics, in that, everyone has to be in America. Still. It's better that we have a Constantine comic than none at all?

I'm sure many will disagree with that but, you know, it is what it is.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Still not Hellblazer sadly. Anyway, intrigued by what Fawkes said about how 'deep' Constantine's involvement will be in the upcoming Trinity War.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Billy Batson

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Uuuuggggghhhhhh

Meh, that was hardly featured or confirmed in Hellblazer.

@BKole said:

Imma let Fawke's finish, but Milligan did the best Hellblazer o' all time.

All Time.

Ha, agreed :)
    BB

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Loki9876

@BKole: Well I saw a solicit and he was going to London, I don't know for how long of coure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.