Hellblazer Is Ending, What The Writers Think

• 58 results
Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

Trish Mulvihill-

""Hellblazer" is ending? "

Joshua Hale Fialkov-

"one of my great regrets is never getting to write the "real" John Constantine."

Warren Ellis-

HELLBLAZER cancelled, replaced by PG version. Sad to see that place for British horror stories go.

Brian Wood-

"Ugh! [in reply to Ellis]" "Seems very likely if I had launched The Massive at Vertigo as originally conceived, they would have cancelled it by now."

Ryan Kelly-

"The only Hellblazer I'll ever get to draw is crappy fan art. I'll be at the bar, sobbing."

Kieron Gillen-

"RIP Hellblazer. One of the greats. The end of Planetary 7 comes to mind. "Time to be someone else". http://readrant.files.wordpress.com/...seeing-you.jpg ...

(Part of me also thinks "You're not a real British Comics Writer unless you've written Hellblazer". So that's me doomed)"

Declan Shalvey-

"What the...... god dammit"

Jock-

"sad news about HELLBLAZER."

"would it be crass to say that HELLBLAZER: PANDEMONIUM, by @jamiedelano and myself is still out, full of swearing, politics and blood?"

Dave Gibbons-

"[in reply to Andy Diggle] Know what you mean. I wrote a couple of short stories and it's a cliche, I know, but Constantine just spoke for himself."

Jordan White-

"I cannot tell you how upset I am that Hellblazer is ending. It's probably my favorite book DC is doing. I hope they give it a good ending."

David Gallaher-

"Bummed about the loss of Hellblazer. Image Comics has largely made Vertigo irrelevant. Can't say I'm surprised."

Paul Cornell-

"I guess I always sort of assumed that one day I would write Hellblazer."

Si Spurrier-

"[in reply to Cornell] Me too, mate. Closest I ever got was a pisstake in Bec and Kawl. Now I feel bad."

Tim Seeley-

"That's kinda the nail in the Vertigo coffin, yeah?"

Mark Millar-

"WTF? Hellblazer CANCELLED"

Ian Rankin-

"Just heard Hellblazer comic book is for the chop. Only series I've ever written for. Only one I wanted to write for. Constantine RIP..."

Leah Moore-

"Really don't see point of ending Hellblazer. Really doubt Constantine will replace it."

Jamie Delano-

"Always the last to know. Ravens and the Tower of London, I reckon. Without Hellblazer, Vertigo falls."

"Pricks could at least let him drop dead coughing his heart up between drags on a ciggie, not reduce him to some anemic rebrand. lastword"

Tim Bradstreet:

“It’s an amazing thing to hit 300 issues in any run. For that, Congratulations to Hellblazer! I was there for 200 Relaunching JC at DCU? Don’t like that at all. Hellblazer was the first Vertigo book. It launched the whole line, and there it should stay.”

-Tim Bradstreet.

Simon Bisley:

"I’m really sad about them cancelling the title. I already miss the character; I really enjoyed doing these covers…"

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Already saw it when it was announced and no shout out to Aztek and Silk? :p
Naturally I agree and feel the same. Would have wanted more opinions from the rest of Hellblazer writers/artist though.
BB

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't sure is and

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Well Silk still hasn't said anything about it so I don't know if he has even see it yet or if he's just sobbing <_<
Aztek did. You even replied to him. He also posted on IE's article with one of his alts (Jack the Ripper) :p
I also checked if Delano had said something about it on twitter and he did.
BB

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Yea but didn't Aztek say he wasn't going to be sharing his opinion on the site anymore or something?

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Said it was too vulgar to share :p In summarized he told me F*CK DC! and he's not going to support DC anymore (IIRC, too lazy to check)
BB

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: that's pretty much how I feel, I don't see why I should award the douchebags that makes these decisions with my cash.

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

I'm just washing of my hands from JLD and the upcoming new series for the time being :p
BB

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: I dropped JLD a few issues after Lemire took over anyway

#10 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: DC is really f*cking themselves in the a$$ these days, aren't they?

#11 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Editorial is going too far.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Actually, I think it was more about trying to strengthen the New 52.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85: By weakening the character

#15 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Dan Didiot said that he's "supremely proud" of Hellblazer's run. So proud that he's cancelling it. >_>

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

>__>

#17 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio

Would have wanted more opinions from the rest of Hellblazer writers/artist though.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: I would have liked to of heard from Karen Berger

#19 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous: I think we may hear what she has to say about it soon.
#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: I hope so but what makes you say that?

#21 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous: Hellblazer getting cancelled is a pretty big deal for Vertigo, and Karen has been with Vertigo for a very long time. Also, now that she is executive editor of Vertigo, she should have something to say about the situation.
#22 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

More opinions from the cover artists on the matter;

Tim Bradstreet:

“It’s an amazing thing to hit 300 issues in any run. For that, Congratulations to Hellblazer! I was there for 200 Relaunching JC at DCU? Don’t like that at all. Hellblazer was the first Vertigo book. It launched the whole line, and there it should stay.”

-Tim Bradstreet.

Simon Bisley:

"I’m really sad about them cancelling the title. I already miss the character; I really enjoyed doing these covers…"

BB

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: I shall add them to the OP, if you find any more just post them here

#24 Posted by Dorian Gray (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Hellblazer getting cancelled is a pretty big deal for Vertigo, and Karen has been with Vertigo for a very long time. Also, now that she is executive editor of Vertigo, she should have something to say about the situation.

now? she's been Executive Editor of Vertigo since the position was invented in 1994 (and before that she was informally the executive editor although she mainly just edited some of the core books and brought in a few others to edit the rest although she's the editor responsible for the entire imprint)

I don't think she would be allowed to say anything, writers and artists and such are hired help, editors are actual employees, I don't think the heads at DC want their own people publicly questioning their decisions although I'm sure she'll try to (as politely as possible) say that she's sorry to see the book go

she was the original editor of the series and edited the run of Swamp Thing it spun out of so there's no doubt she's upset about the decision

the only way I see her saying something is if she quits which to be fair, with the way the imprint is going, it wouldn't surprise me if she did

#25 Posted by Dorian Gray (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: I miss Bisley's covers already :(

#26 Edited by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dorian Gray:

Vertigo creators and editors usually write an eulogy at the end of their series, you should know though (no bashing though cause DC will never want to admit that they did something wrong)
And yeah, everyone will miss the Bizness. Guy knows how to go with a style (would have wanted an av out of the last cover but I guess a profile pic will do)

Hellblazer #300

BB

#27 Posted by TDK_1997 (15064 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah all of the comments cover up what I am thinking.

#28 Posted by Silkcuts (5123 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Wasn't sure is @Silkcuts and @aztek_the_lost where still around not seen them about. Yea I thought Azz would have said something

@Billy Batson said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Well Silk still hasn't said anything about it so I don't know if he has even see it yet or if he's just sobbing <_<
Aztek did. You even replied to him. He also posted on IE's article with one of his alts (Jack the Ripper) :p
BB

I have to be careful what I say, since one day I hope to write comics for a living and in the internet age it is easy to have things bite you down the line.  The truth of the matter is that the reality that 300 was the final issue was made clearer in each month that came closer too it. I guess my mourning started earlier than most.  I've made excuses my writing keeps me away from the review and the site, but maybe it was the 52 and the fact DC pissed on their own history by renumbering the series in which they are named from in Detective Comics. If the Trinity was not safe, I would be lying to myself if I didn't accept the fact that money/"exposure" could be the drive to promote all the characters.  John should of been the exception since he was created for the fringe. Moore took a series that was suppose to be canceled and made it a comics must. In that run of Swamp Thing, Moore created the King of the Freaks and Geeks in John Constantine. Removing him from his Vertigo roots completely defeats the legacy he as a character created and the magick in which made people like me love "sequential arts".  I only hope that Pete continues to please in the last remaining issues as his run has been a huge smile on my face.  In talking to the gods John needs to live on in at least OGNs under Vertigo, or the world did end metaphorically for me in 2012.  If Didio at crew honestly believe they made the right move to trade history for a more accessible series, I dare to compare quality issue to issue, arc to arc, and even how the series impacts a wrter's career since HB was the series many writers were on before "Exploding" and that is just assuming "Constantine" can even make it to 300.  Yes what guys like Morrison in Batman, Lemire and Synder in the dark Corner are doing are great and even full of depth, but much of that depth is lost to the casual readers anyway.  Hellblazer was my bible to what possible potentials can come from comics. The classic Vertigo voice is now dead. People seem now to have the need to be told what to read and how to read it. If the world loses Vertigo John for good, then the world lost a true Gem that the 52 version can never be shined enough to sparkle like.  Of course I am not happy with HB ending in 300, but I am not surprised. The pill is easier to swallow with so many of my loved Vertigo books coming to ends to early, now I can leave the imprint alone and be glad John at least has a solid number planned end.  I don't own the character, nor do I control the use of him. But those who know him best and loved him before the "Hype", know the Vertigo John lived and breathed in our world aging in real time, with our time.  I will miss uncle John. Maybe one day I'll meet him in a bar for drinks.  This might be the only response I make on CV about this topic.  I hope it was good enough.

Cheers
 - Kevin "Silkcuts" Gorospe
#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silkcuts said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Wasn't sure is @Silkcuts and @aztek_the_lost where still around not seen them about. Yea I thought Azz would have said something

@Billy Batson said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

BB

I have to be careful what I say, since one day I hope to write comics for a living and in the internet age it is easy to have things bite you down the line. The truth of the matter is that the reality that 300 was the final issue was made clearer in each month that came closer too it. I guess my mourning started earlier than most. I've made excuses my writing keeps me away from the review and the site, but maybe it was the 52 and the fact DC pissed on their own history by renumbering the series in which they are named from in Detective Comics. If the Trinity was not safe, I would be lying to myself if I didn't accept the fact that money/"exposure" could be the drive to promote all the characters. John should of been the exception since he was created for the fringe. Moore took a series that was suppose to be canceled and made it a comics must. In that run of Swamp Thing, Moore created the King of the Freaks and Geeks in John Constantine. Removing him from his Vertigo roots completely defeats the legacy he as a character created and the magick in which made people like me love "sequential arts". I only hope that Pete continues to please in the last remaining issues as his run has been a huge smile on my face. In talking to the gods John needs to live on in at least OGNs under Vertigo, or the world did end metaphorically for me in 2012. If Didio at crew honestly believe they made the right move to trade history for a more accessible series, I dare to compare quality issue to issue, arc to arc, and even how the series impacts a wrter's career since HB was the series many writers were on before "Exploding" and that is just assuming "Constantine" can even make it to 300. Yes what guys like Morrison in Batman, Lemire and Synder in the dark Corner are doing are great and even full of depth, but much of that depth is lost to the casual readers anyway. Hellblazer was my bible to what possible potentials can come from comics. The classic Vertigo voice is now dead. People seem now to have the need to be told what to read and how to read it. If the world loses Vertigo John for good, then the world lost a true Gem that the 52 version can never be shined enough to sparkle like. Of course I am not happy with HB ending in 300, but I am not surprised. The pill is easier to swallow with so many of my loved Vertigo books coming to ends to early, now I can leave the imprint alone and be glad John at least has a solid number planned end. I don't own the character, nor do I control the use of him. But those who know him best and loved him before the "Hype", know the Vertigo John lived and breathed in our world aging in real time, with our time. I will miss uncle John. Maybe one day I'll meet him in a bar for drinks. This might be the only response I make on CV about this topic. I hope it was good enough. Cheers - Kevin "Silkcuts" Gorospe

This is all that needs to be said really

#30 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silkcuts:

Always a pleasure to read your responses, Silk.

BB

#31 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

Delano sounds so....defeated.

Poor guy.

R.I.P. Hellblazer.

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: IKR he loves that character the most

#33 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

Simon Bisley, please continue drawing covers for Constantine.

#34 Posted by Grey56 (744 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to hear that it's going, know it's gotta be disappointing.

#35 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silkcuts: Superbly put, homey. And, as always, thanks for putting me onto the true Constantine. My life has been richer for my exposure to Uncle Johno's many misadventures.That which will be will be and I look forward to collecting all the stories of his past in my future.

#36 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven`t read enough of HB to care that much. I know that it`s an awesome series, though. Will read all of it some day. Maybe borrow it all from libraries.

I think the same as Jamie Delano.

#37 Posted by kuonphobos (4904 posts) - - Show Bio

That Biz cover for 300 is nearly perfect. Maybe a variant of John giving us all the finger could be the only improvement.

Ta for now Suicide Fairy...cheers...

#38 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Billy Batson said:

Well this almost counts, ennit? http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42457
BB

You can tell he's not happy about the decision but I was hoping for a bit more heartfelt.

I'm kind of hoping John and Epiphany both die together

Well he can't really say everything that he would want to and he's just giving Azzarello some competition in terms of interview answers :p
Well there's going to be more than one death, lol.
BB

#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silkcuts said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

BB

I have to be careful what I say, since one day I hope to write comics for a living and in the internet age it is easy to have things bite you down the line. The truth of the matter is that the reality that 300 was the final issue was made clearer in each month that came closer too it. I guess my mourning started earlier than most. I've made excuses my writing keeps me away from the review and the site, but maybe it was the 52 and the fact DC pissed on their own history by renumbering the series in which they are named from in Detective Comics. If the Trinity was not safe, I would be lying to myself if I didn't accept the fact that money/"exposure" could be the drive to promote all the characters. John should of been the exception since he was created for the fringe. Moore took a series that was suppose to be canceled and made it a comics must. In that run of Swamp Thing, Moore created the King of the Freaks and Geeks in John Constantine. Removing him from his Vertigo roots completely defeats the legacy he as a character created and the magick in which made people like me love "sequential arts". I only hope that Pete continues to please in the last remaining issues as his run has been a huge smile on my face. In talking to the gods John needs to live on in at least OGNs under Vertigo, or the world did end metaphorically for me in 2012. If Didio at crew honestly believe they made the right move to trade history for a more accessible series, I dare to compare quality issue to issue, arc to arc, and even how the series impacts a wrter's career since HB was the series many writers were on before "Exploding" and that is just assuming "Constantine" can even make it to 300. Yes what guys like Morrison in Batman, Lemire and Synder in the dark Corner are doing are great and even full of depth, but much of that depth is lost to the casual readers anyway. Hellblazer was my bible to what possible potentials can come from comics. The classic Vertigo voice is now dead. People seem now to have the need to be told what to read and how to read it. If the world loses Vertigo John for good, then the world lost a true Gem that the 52 version can never be shined enough to sparkle like. Of course I am not happy with HB ending in 300, but I am not surprised. The pill is easier to swallow with so many of my loved Vertigo books coming to ends to early, now I can leave the imprint alone and be glad John at least has a solid number planned end. I don't own the character, nor do I control the use of him. But those who know him best and loved him before the "Hype", know the Vertigo John lived and breathed in our world aging in real time, with our time. I will miss uncle John. Maybe one day I'll meet him in a bar for drinks. This might be the only response I make on CV about this topic. I hope it was good enough. Cheers - Kevin "Silkcuts" Gorospe

Wise words my friend. I think we can at least have faith that Milligan can probably give John possibly the best conclusion he could have. For a character who aged the way John did, I feel it was inevitable he would die one day, someone like that can only keep on going for so long. There's a part of me that thinks it's best to give him an epic conclusion in his prime is kind of the way he would want to go, the way he was always meant to go. What makes this such a tragedy is the way DC's already prepared to trot out his photocopied watered-down replacement before the real John barely hits the ground.

#43 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you seen Simon Bisley's interview over at CBR? It was kind of heart braking that he didn't even know they where rebooting John

#45 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Yeah, I read it. Was going to post it in here :p
Ignorance is a bliss, ennit?
BB

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a bad sign when the creative team gets changed before the first issue is even out

#47 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

It's a bad sign when the creative team gets changed before the first issue is even out

Yeah, saw it. Don't really care either way to be honest.
BB

#48 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: True, Lemire's take on John is one of the worst I'v seen at least if it had of been Venditti it would have been unkown till it came out. Wouldn't have read it ether way though.

#49 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Billy Batson: True, Lemire's take on John is one of the worst I'v seen at least if it had of been Venditti it would have been unkown till it came out. Wouldn't have read it ether way though.

Yeah, from what I've heard his John from JLD and JLD #0 isn't really...well I don't know what to say.
Even the covers are pretty horrible...

Going from McKean, Bradstreet, Bermejo and Bisley to this

BB

#50 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: yea in his JLD John is quoted to be someone "who would sacrifice everything for his friends" yea, that's the total opposite of what he is

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.