First Official Image of Matt Ryan as John Constantine

• 121 results
Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio
Matt Ryan as Constantine

Huge news for Constantine and HELLBLAZER fans, the first official image of Matt Ryan as John Constantine has been released. Production has begun on this NBC pilot from executive producers Daniel Cerone & David Goyer.

“I’ve been a fan of John Constantine since he was first introduced in 1985. This Constantine, envisioned by Neil Marshall and embodied by Matt Ryan, looks like he sprang directly from the comics’ covers. Fans old and new are going to be in for a treat,” said executive producer David S. Goyer.

CONSTANTINE follows enigmatic and irreverent Liverpool con-man-turned-occult-detective John Constantine, who is reluctantly thrust into the role of defending our world against dark forces from beyond.

Featured in hundreds of comic book issues, John Constantine has been a DC Comics staple since his first appearance as a supporting character in Swamp Thing in 1985. The character was subsequently featured in his own bestselling Hellblazer and Constantine comic book series.

UK native Matt Ryan (Layer Cake, The Tudors, Torchwood) stars as the title character.

The CONSTANTINE pilot is executive produced by Daniel Cerone (The Mentalist, Dexter) and David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight films, Man of Steel). Neil Marshall (The Descent, Game of Thrones) is directing from a teleplay by Daniel Cerone, with story by Daniel Cerone & David S. Goyer.

Production has begun and we'll send more info your way as we get it. What do you think of the UK native's look as John Constantine?

Staff
#1 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

He's...perfect.

#3 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

No cigarette? NOT MY CON-JOB!

Looks good, but I wish there were more details about the story.

#4 Posted by Wilhelm_Dolle (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Perfect!

#5 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

Unlike the Flash costume, it will be hard to find a complaint about this.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a scouser? That's fantastic, I'm so glad they're paying that much attention to the comics.

#7 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes you wonder if Zatanna will show up and if they can pull off her look as well.

#8 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (1972 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, He definitely is John Constantine

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (42274 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet.

#11 Edited by Overlander (521 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid!

It's a good look.

#12 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks very good.

#13 Posted by longbowhunter (7091 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this pic yesterday. Looks like he'll make a great John Constantine. Hope the pilot gets picked up.

#14 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a scouser? That's fantastic, I'm so glad they're paying that much attention to the comics.

I keep seeing the term "scouse."

I'm a dumb American (Well, Canadian-American). What does that mean?

Staff
#15 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

hope it doesn't suck

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren: Have you read some of the blurbs about the series?

"a working-class Londoner with deadpan humor who is a mysterious conman and occult detective 
haunted by the recent loss of a young girl's soul. No stranger to the dark underworld that exists parallel to our own, Constantine has been studying the dark arts since he was a teenager. He's taught himself spells, rituals, curses and conjuring, but the one person he most wishes to see -- his mother, who died giving birth to him -- remains out of reach, at least so far. When Liv, the daughter of a late friend, is targeted by demons, Constantine steps in to save her and the two form an alliance."

#17 Edited by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I've read the blurbs, but I don't think any of them have talked about things like why John and Papa Midnite are at odds.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: Scouse or scouser is slang for someone from Liverpool. It's used in the same way as a cockney is from London, geordy is from Newcastle and weegie is from Glasgow.

#19 Posted by Bio Guyver (6852 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Edward Kenway!

#20 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: Scouse or scouser is slang for someone from Liverpool. It's used in the same way as a cockney is from London, geordy is from Newcastle and weegie is from Glasgow.

Man, I wish we had cool terms like that in the States.

Staff
#21 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good

#22 Edited by humanfly26 (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

no keanu? i'm disappointed...

i'm just kidding

#23 Posted by shroudofsorrow (3163 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say, they nailed it pitch-perfectly minus the cigarette. You can't really say that about too many other live action comic characters.

Still more excited for the Flash show though.

#24 Posted by cdw101 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks the part, just hope he smokes etc!

#25 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: You should invent some and then see if you can get it to catch on lol

#26 Posted by MaccyD (4062 posts) - - Show Bio

If Goyer is behind it, I wonder will it connect to the films?

#27 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#28 Posted by Erik (32796 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by longbowhunter (7091 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: If you think hard enough I bet there are slang terms like that here. Example, Hoosiers are from Indiana. There's gotta be more.

#30 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9728 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard the producers are still iffy on whether or not he'll smoke

#31 Posted by darkrider (450 posts) - - Show Bio

there is a smoke in the picture so he probably throw the cigarette before he took the photo

#32 Posted by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks awesome.

#33 Posted by Z3RO180 (6549 posts) - - Show Bio

Edward Kenway. Pirate, Lover, Assassin , Ninja and Paranormal Detective.

#34 Edited by GhostRider2 (3305 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by MaccyD (4062 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: The actor is technically Welsh, but I doubt most yanks would be able to tell the difference.

#36 Posted by Onemoreposter (4049 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it. Now listen, I've been a Hellblazer fan since I started picking up the book after his appearance in Sandman. However, I really enjoyed Keanu Reeves' Constanteen and was hoping we'd see an eventual sequel. Despite the vast changes made in the film, it had something....special.

I hope this doesn't suck but for some reason this guy just doesn't strike me as John.

#37 Edited by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by ccraft (5270 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks the part, but as I did with Shield I will remain skeptical until the pilot. I'm not really a JC fan, maybe the show will change that who knows.

#40 Edited by StMichalofWilson (3833 posts) - - Show Bio

Dat smug look on his face...xD

#41 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego: You should invent some and then see if you can get it to catch on lol

Working on it now

No need to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demonyms_for_U.S._states

People from IL are called "Suckers?" First, I've never heard of that. Second, BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Staff
#42 Edited by MaccyD (4062 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I'm just saying some of the accent will come through, when he tries to pull off a scouse accent.

#43 Edited by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's another pic:

BB

#44 Posted by RustyRoy (12718 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good.

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: It didn't when he did Edward Kenway in Assassins Creed.

#46 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: I like that cast/crew image better, actually. It's a little less staged, and he looks a little more grim.

#47 Edited by MaccyD (4062 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by asjmooney (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: a Scouse is someone from Liverpool. I myself am a Geordie as I come from Newcastle

#50 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4732 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope to piss off fans, he vapes the e-cigarette.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.