Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1561 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Favorite Writer?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The Lobster

So a lot of writers have written John Constantine, Let's name a few.....

Andy Diggle: #230-244, 247-249
    Brian Azzarello: #146-174, 250
    China Miéville: #250
    Darko Macan: #144-145
    Denise Mina: #216-228
    Dick Foreman: #32
    Eddie Campbell: #85-88
    Garth Ennis: #41-50, 52-83, 129-133
    Grant Morrison: #25-26
    Jamie Delano: #1-24, 28-31, 33-40, 84, 250
    Jason Aaron: #245-246
    John Smith: #51
    Mike Carey: #175-215, 229
    Neil Gaiman: #27
    Paul Jenkins: #89-128
    Peter Milligan: #250-?
    Warren Ellis: #134-143  

So here's my question, out of all those writers who is your favorite writer and the one to have written John Constantine the best.

Personally I liked Brian Azzarello, Garth Ennis, Mike Carey, and Andy Diggle the best. I know Jamie Delano practically created the character but the only stuff I liked from him was The Hellblazer: Pandemonium graphic novel.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Silkcuts
    @The Lobster : my Fave "Hellblazer" writer is Garth Ennis, it was him who got me hooked with the Royal Blood Ripper story. 
    Fave all time writer is Alan Moore, American Gothic was great!
    But modern age Andy Diggle had the tightest and most fan loyal written run.   He gave nods to Sting with "message in a bottle" and he gave John his edge back.

Warren Ellis' run should of been my fave, but it was cut short.  Shoot is the best Hellblazer he wrote and it was not published, thank God I read the online leak.  Also judging by William Grave and other Constantine like Characters, he could of brought John to new heights. 
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Silkcuts
    @aztek the lost: Paul Jenkins' runis hardly every talked about because it was never collected and hard to get all the issues.  Mind you the 1st few issues I think, can't confirm since it was not credited we co-written with Eddie Campbell (From Hell and Alec).  

Its been a long time since I read this run, what I remember from it I enjoyed it, but it didn't create any lasting events that I remember later writers returning to.  Paul Jenkins' run was the one that revisited other peoples plot points, such as the 1st of the Fallen.  It is good you read Garth 1st, I don't think Paul Jenkins run would read well in trade if you have not read Jamie Delano's HB#11 "A taste of things to come" and Garth's Rake at the Gates of Hell arc.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I love Tom Defalco's writting 

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I've only ever red the first issue. I wanted to carry on reading them, but I got side tracked with other comics at the time. I'll try and get back into them again. I mean, I'm from Liverpool to, so I should read a fellow Scouser.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Silkcuts

" @Silkcuts said:
    " @The Lobster : my Fave "Hellblazer" writer is Garth Ennis, it was him who got me hooked with the Royal Blood Ripper story.  Fave all time writer is Alan Moore, American Gothic was great!But modern age Andy Diggle had the tightest and most fan loyal written run.   He gave nods to Sting with "message in a bottle" and he gave John his edge back.  Warren Ellis' run should of been my fave, but it was cut short.  Shoot is the best Hellblazer he wrote and it was not published, thank God I read the online leak.  Also judging by William Grave and other Constantine like Characters, he could of brought John to new heights.  "
    ah, I loved that Calibraxis storyline! of course, like I said, not being British and familiar with all their political figures means I had no idea which unnamed royals were being referred to throughout 

That is the beauty of good writing, the story is still great without the knowledge (pardon the pun).  I am not British as well, but that is what wiki is for j/k.  But The story works without needing to know who is who.  The snorting of the ashes may just be my all time fave con.

@Silkcuts said:
    " @aztek the lost: Paul Jenkins' runis hardly every talked about because it was never collected and hard to get all the issues.  Mind you the 1st few issues I think, can't confirm since it was not credited we co-written with Eddie Campbell (From Hell and Alec).     Its been a long time since I read this run, what I remember from it I enjoyed it, but it didn't create any lasting events that I remember later writers returning to.  Paul Jenkins' run was the one that revisited other peoples plot points, such as the 1st of the Fallen.  It is good you read Garth 1st, I don't think Paul Jenkins run would read well in trade if you have not read Jamie Delano's HB#11 "A taste of things to come" and Garth's Rake at the Gates of Hell arc. "
    Yeah, I always wondered about the run as a chicken egg thing. Was it not collected because nobody talked about it, or does no one talk about it because it wasn't collected? Right now I've read #1-90 and 251-266 of Hellblazer. I know that #85-88 were credited to Eddie Campbell and #89-90 (credited to Jenkins) are basically a direct continuation from Eddie's story, which I thought was odd since up until that point, temporary writers coming onto the title seem to have out-of-place stories that although sometimes good aren't referenced again (Morrison, Gaiman, Foreman, Smith, etc.) So maybe there was some collaboration there. And I'm usually quite adamant on reading titles in the order the issues were published and not skipping issues so that I'll catch things like Jenkins bringing back the First of the Fallen and such. It actually took quite a lot of willpower to catch up on Milligan's run and that was just because at the time it was the only ongoing from Vertigo I wasn't reading. I like Milligan's however, his Shade, the Changing Man series is one of my favorite comics of all time and I'm thrilled to see a Shade appearance in the arc that kicks off on Wednesday! "
    I see how you would see it as the chicken and the egg thing.
    If they ever go back and number Hellblazer I can see it collected then.
    But how do you number a series that ties into Swamp Thing for a few early issues because it was a spin-off? 
    And now that John has little or no part of the DCU in his world, how important is the early issues?

I loved the 3 issue John Constantine story in Shade.  I look forward to collecting the whole series now that it looks like it will finally be in full trades.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.