Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1561 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

DC Comics Announces Next 'New 52' Title, CONSTANTINE

• 134 results
    Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By Stormbox

Wow this seems to be a very controversial move from dc...

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

@SmashBrawler said:

@Lvenger said:

@EvanTheMexiJew said:

This is more proof that DC is building up an event based on Alan Moore's "Twilight of the Superheroes". Google it.

A user called Trodorne wrote a blog on it and I really don't think that's the case. I mean it would be one reboot followed by another. That would be non sensical. I just don't see it happening. Not even DC executives are that crazy to do Twilight of the Superheroes.

They could go with an alternate universe event, though.

Or it could involve the Multiverse like every other DC event & have less destructive consequences

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will read.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By judasnixon

I want to pee on Dan Didio's cat.

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Mokey

Haha, Bob Harras and his Marvel goons do it again!

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By CounterShock

Cool! I haven't really read JLD, but i'll definitely check this one out!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#107  Edited By Trodorne

yeah this just effectively killed vertigo. Shame on DC.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By modunhanul

@SmashBrawler said:

@modunhanul said:

By the way, they're changing Demon Knights' author? Is Demon Knights good? I haven't read it yet, so I don't know.

Demon Knights is pretty damn good right now. It's in my Top 10 current DC series, as a matter of fact.

I don't know how Venditti will handle the book (he joins in issue 16) but I can certainly recommend the current run by Paul Cornell. It's got great characters and dialogue, an entertaining plot and an amazing fantasy setting.

Thanks, I will start to read Demon Knights.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Woe as me...I'm definitely not happy about this.

@pikahyper: Shall we get the RIP's underway now?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#110  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@RedheadedAtrocitus: only if Fables get's cancelled.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By Billy Batson

Still teh suxorrr!!1!

Where are Aztek and Silk?

BB

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112  Edited By Om1kron

Renauto! take my money!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#114  Edited By Lvenger

@EvanTheMexiJew: The possible 3 Justice Leagues clash isn't the same as the Houses theme Moore had though.

@SmashBrawler: Morrison's setting up the DC Multiverse in Multiversity. And he and Moore have a major rivalry going on. He wouldn't demean himself by setting up one of Moore's shelved stories.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Lvenger: You're right, I forgot about Morrison's thoughts on Moore.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#116  Edited By Lvenger

@SmashBrawler: Both are among my favourite writers so I don't read too much into the disputes between the two.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Lvenger: Same here.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By Billy Batson
    No Caption Provided

BB

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#119  Edited By nappystr8

Constantine has been a major player in the New 52 so it makes a lot of sense to give him a solo title that is based squarely in the DC Universe. Hellblazer has lasted 300 issues, that's a lot more than most books can boast. It can rest for a while to give Constantine a chance to be involved in something new. There will be some heavier editorial mandates which may not be preferable, but seeing Constantine interact with the greater universe is a fair tradeoff.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#120  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @aztek_the_lost said:

@danhimself: @Mercy_

the things I want to say are inappropriate on this website but I think I might go spam my hate elsewhere and from now on I will try and have nothing but venom and vitriol for all things DC New 52, they crossed the line

damn right they did
    cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#121  Edited By cameron83

I don't really get what everyone is mad about....if it's the series being cancelled then.......oh

But for everyone complaining,can you please keep it down..

If you want the old crap back,then read the old crap,but bringing back a regurgitated version of something that was already done and failed miserably is not a smart thing to do.For a tim drake solo series,I don't think some of you can fathom the idea that we need to put spotlight on others first,to add popularity and learn more.So your characters are going to have to wait for their turn.With that aside,I also have to say that they cannot pull a new series out of their a$$.Even a tim drake one wouldn't last.All the complaining is just retarded,you are going to get cass and steph and donna back.WE CANNOT GET ALL OF THE OLD CHARACTERS BACK IN ONE MONTH.they would not fit.We are going to see the characters soon,don't worry.Stop complaining,they are coming,but obviously they have to make a grand appearance,all you people want is to see them just to see them (not fighting,or making a grand appearance,just a cameo in the coffee shop).And if you don't see them in 5 minutes or less,then they don't exist.Not only that,I f*cking hate wally as flash.I hated it.I always thought barry was more cool,interesting,etc and he never really got a chance.Wally should be his own character,not kid flash,not flash,something on his own.It is like killing bruce (permanently) and replacing him with dick. Basically,fans complain about the dumbest things,and can only hear this from a higher person (like G-man) for them to finally say,"wait,what was I so mad about?"

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By SmashBrawler

@cameron83 said:

I don't really get what everyone is mad about....if it's the series being cancelled then.......oh

But for everyone complaining,can you please keep it down..

If you want the old crap back,then read the old crap,but bringing back a regurgitated version of something that was already done and failed miserably is not a smart thing to do.For a tim drake solo series,I don't think some of you can fathom the idea that we need to put spotlight on others first,to add popularity and learn more.So your characters are going to have to wait for their turn.With that aside,I also have to say that they cannot pull a new series out of their a$$.Even a tim drake one wouldn't last.All the complaining is just retarded,you are going to get cass and steph and donna back.WE CANNOT GET ALL OF THE OLD CHARACTERS BACK IN ONE MONTH.they would not fit.We are going to see the characters soon,don't worry.Stop complaining,they are coming,but obviously they have to make a grand appearance,all you people want is to see them just to see them (not fighting,or making a grand appearance,just a cameo in the coffee shop).And if you don't see them in 5 minutes or less,then they don't exist.Not only that,I f*cking hate wally as flash.I hated it.I always thought barry was more cool,interesting,etc and he never really got a chance.Wally should be his own character,not kid flash,not flash,something on his own.It is like killing bruce (permanently) and replacing him with dick. Basically,fans complain about the dumbest things,and can only hear this from a higher person (like G-man) for them to finally say,"wait,what was I so mad about?"

This is not true. When did Hellblazer "fail miserably"?

And how is this complaining about "the dumbest things", Hellblazer was beloved title with its own continuity that it's getting canceled in order to make a PG version of it. Does that sound fair?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By cameron83

@SmashBrawler: I am not talking about hellblazer at all,i'm talking about the overall complaints.

My only sentence regarding hellblazer was the first sentence

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By cameron83

ALSO,the new 52 isn't sloppy at all,everything fits together (may not be perfectly,like a tessellation,but it was way better than the old universe).

The old universe had millions of flaws.And the only 'flaws' about the new 52 are easily answered by just waiting...what I mean is that there are no (major) flaws,the only holes are holes that are obviously going to be filled....btw,this is in regards to what some idiot said,I am not talking about hellblazer or anyone specific here.

nobody wants to give the new 52 a chance.All the things of the old universe was utter bulls*it.

OH YEAH,I just need to note again,before someone unnecessarily replies to me,note that I am talking about someone's comment from another site

EDIT: (SIDE NOTE),OOOHHH.....you guys are mad that there is gonna be no more vertigo.....that's understandable.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SmashBrawler

@cameron83: The what's the point of complaining about stuff that has nothing to do with Hellblazer in a Hellblazer thread?

If you dislike fanboy rage so much, make a blog post explaining your thoughts on the matter.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By cameron83

@SmashBrawler: kinda got carried away a bit.Because as I was typing this I was also on another site in a new tab,so that's my mistake....

anyway,Hellblazer sounds like it was good,can't say this will replace it,but maybe this can be something in it's own that will make us forget hellblazer (we won't really forget,but we'll just accept this new thing as something new and it would suffice for the replacement of hellblazer.)

That's only if it's good enough,and i think this guy said he knows about hellblazer,so he may just be fans of it like you guys are.....who knows?

badgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By badgame

Do not want.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#128  Edited By kuonphobos

Vertigo's Hellblazer brought me back to comics. I have the entire run (minus 27) up to Mina and am caught up on all the trades through Phantom Pains. I have yet to read John's appearance in Brightest Day, JLD or any other New 52 appearances. I have avoided these because I don't like costumed comics and to see John sharing page time with a costumed loon just pisses me off.

I read Avatar, DH, Boom! and Image not Marvel or DC and am seething with rage over this decision! One of the very few titles I read from the "main stream" (the others being Fables and it's spin-offs) and they couldn't just keep their hands off of it! And it is currently really on a roll with a great writer, great supporting characters, and a great legacy. All for what? A friggin' CW version of Constantine?

DC you have officially joined Marvel in the realm of suckdom!

Mr. Ellis could you please bring Gavel (at Avatar) back to help ease a little of this idiocy? Thanks.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Loki9876

I never eally read much Hellblazer so I guess it would be a good jumping on point but I feel bad for the long time fans.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#130  Edited By sethysquare

@kuonphobos said:

Vertigo's Hellblazer brought me back to comics. I have the entire run (minus 27) up to Mina and am caught up on all the trades through Phantom Pains. I have yet to read John's appearance in Brightest Day, JLD or any other New 52 appearances. I have avoided these because I don't like costumed comics and to see John sharing page time with a costumed loon just pisses me off.

I read Avatar, DH, Boom! and Image not Marvel or DC and am seething with rage over this decision! One of the very few titles I read from the "main stream" (the others being Fables and it's spin-offs) and they couldn't just keep their hands off of it! And it is currently really on a roll with a great writer, great supporting characters, and a great legacy. All for what? A friggin' CW version of Constantine?

DC you have officially joined Marvel in the realm of suckdom!

Mr. Ellis could you please bring Gavel (at Avatar) back to help ease a little of this idiocy? Thanks.

Then theres no loss for DC.

Since you don't read DC in the first place. Go try out other vertigo books. I'm sure you'll start to find great books. Snyder and Lemire are both releasing new books at vertigo.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#131  Edited By kuonphobos

@sethysquare said:

Then theres no loss for DC.

Since you don't read DC in the first place. Go try out other vertigo books. I'm sure you'll start to find great books. Snyder and Lemire are both releasing new books at vertigo.

And no gain for DC either.

I do read Vertigo for Fables. But it doesn't seem that Vertigo has much longer to live. Boom!, DH, Avatar and Image seem to be giving new creators the most freedom.

lrod557

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By lrod557
    RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By RScottH08

I feel like I should have seen it coming. I've stated before that I'm not the biggest fan of the new 52 Constantine, I like how they took him a bit more to his roots, but he just seemed a little watered down. Of course just about any other version of him would be watered down compared to the Vertigo one the past few years. Though mad, I'm also actually excited at the same time now too, I've been a Robert Venditti fan since his Surrogates mini, so I'll definetly be giving this new one a shot. Still sad to see my favorite series Hellblazer go, really seems like it was the heart and soul of Vertigo or a cornerstone and all those other cliches.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#134  Edited By TDK_1997

I just started reading it and I have been loving it and now it's ending.....NO!

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135  Edited By feebadger

This is sad, sad news.

jonathanwint1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By jonathanwint1

Constantine in HellBlazer is Ending Last Book of the Old DC/and Vertigo Universe with 300 one of the longest running books with no renaming or rebooting or renumbering, Now there doing a ongoing Book called Constantine of the DC52 Just hope it dose it Justice and Dark feel.And Dark Origins and characters and or reintroduces them.Chantinelle(Ellie) Friend and demoness(tried to kill all his friends once but they made up he deserved it), Nergal (rival Arch enemy) First of the Fallen(is back shown in Demon nights) Epiphany(young wife be funny to see her as this little kid Saying "you Will be Mine"), Maria Constantine Demon and daughter never did enough with her as she turned our in the End to be a true Constantine a true demon and a true Human!, His Niece , Well it was the Gritty cast that made the book I hope that Stays.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.