Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1558 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Constantine Definitely Cancelled

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

source

"

NBC canceled Constantine last month, but there was still hope that the show would survive. Rumors had NBC corporate sibling, Syfy as a likely destination. Arrow star Stephen Amell offered to appear in a crossover episode if Constantine was renewed. Even Star Trek icon, William Shatner voiced his support for the series.

But time has run out for the show and even John Constantine himself can’t find a solution for this problem.

Constantine showrunner and executive producer Daniel Cerone updated fans about the series’ fate and revealed that rescue efforts have failed.

“I promised I’d share news when I had it — sadly, that news is not good,” wrote Cerone. “The cast and writers of Constantine are being released from their contracts. The studio tried to find a new home for the show, for which we’re forever grateful, but those efforts didn’t pan out. I’m sorry, I wasn’t provided any information on the attempts to sell the show elsewhere. All I can report is that the show is over.”

Cerone added that “the writers of Constantine lived the dream, because we’re leaving behind wild and passionate fans who believe in and were moved by what we tried to do. To leave such a significant, dedicated, and active fan base on the table — that’s the real sadness. You all deserve many years of the series we set out to make, and we’re disappointed that we couldn’t deliver that to you. The good news is that Constantine will live on for years in many more forms. But our time as caretakers has ended. Thank you for letting us in.”

The future of Constantine on NBC was foreshadowed when the network declined to order the back 9 episodes for a full season. That’s why Constantine ended with the revelation about who was behind the Rising Darkness but without an ending for that storyline. It was also the only DC-inspired TV drama that did not get renewed last season.

Will this become the new Firefly? Will a groundswell of support lead to some other medium years down the road? Constantine fans, share your thoughts about the end of the series in our comment section below!

HT: TVLine"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.