Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1561 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Awesome Toy Picks: John Constantine (Signature Collection)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we like to open the package of a cool comic collectible to see how cool it really is. We actually took last week off to recover from the massive Darkseid action figure. This week's figure is the guy moving up the ranks in the DC Universe thanks to the New 52 tweaks being made, John Constantine.

No Caption Provided

This Signature Collection figure is part of the MattyCollector line of exclusive figures. It was the Club Infinite Earths Figure of the Month for November and if you're a subscriber, it gets sent automatically. Like other figures in the line, it comes in a plane white box with just the name. Inside is the figure in the packaging you see above. The back has some artwork and a brief bio.

No Caption Provided

Constantine, as you know, is the lead in the (sadly soon to be canceled) HELLBLAZER series. He has been moving around the New 52 DCU as the 'leader' in JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK. The cancellation of his long running series will lead to a new series in the next 'wave' of New 52 titles, CONSTANTINE written by Robert Venditti with art by Renato Guedes.

How does the figure look out of the package?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I'm a little torn on how I feel about this figure. He is cool looking. The disheveled look of his tie is a nice touch. The biggest problem I have are his arm joints and hands. Trying to position his arms a little shows the seams in his arms. These figures don't usually come with accessories so you have to wonder what the purpose of having these hand molds are. He isn't going to be holding onto anything. It's also a shame he didn't come with a cigarette. But we all know smoking is bad. Still, this is an "adult collector" figure so why not make him come with what he's known for?

There is some nice little touches of detail on his coat. Rather than make a plain trenchcoat, some thought and effort was put in. The same can be said for his pants.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    What's he trying to do here?
    What's he trying to do here?

This is a simple figure but that doesn't mean he's not cool. Honestly, I never thought I'd actually have a Constantine figure. The fact that this was even released before his new, more mainstream comic is surprising. Despite the minor flaws, it's a cool figure.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

How does he fit in with other figures? Well, we still have a certain figure lying around so why not put him to use?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

How can you get this figure? You might want to keep an eye on his page at MattyCollector.com. I mentioned it was the figure of the month back in November but instead of saying "sold out," the page page says "coming soon." Sometimes they end up with extra inventory and sell the figures again. The other place is eBay. Doing a search will show quite a few with an average price of $20, which is fitting.

That's it for this week. What's coming next week? I still have a few sitting around waiting to be showcased so stay tuned to find out what's next.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The only thing that kills it for me on this Hellblazer figure is the joints. The look is awesome and would be more so if not for those joints. Love seeing him put a boot in Darkseid's @$$ though.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#2  Edited By cbishop

Anyone else think the figure looks like Will Ferrel?

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

I always get a "kick"---pun intended--out of these action figure pictorials.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#4  Edited By Cavemold

wheres his cig and drink ay

Omen14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Omen14

Cool, it's a guy with a tie. He also has a long jacket. Amazing.

If you can't follow, I'm being sarcastic.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By dreamfall31

The uncovered joints on all these DC characters are the main reason I'm not buying them. The Wonder Woman one looks the worst since it's on skin. It just looks like she had holes drilled in ther joints!

wowylied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By wowylied

20$ for this one ?

Well it is quite expensive for a dust trap.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Onemoreposter

Complete fail. Is that what John looks like in the new 52? How bland.....

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By lifeboy

I dont know gman, what is he trying to do there? Lol

The first couple of pic. It Iooked like constantines sleves could roll up. It would ha ve been off the hook if they could roll up to reveal the 2 matching symbol tattoos on his forarms. Then you could put the arms together like he does when the mess hits the fan. You bloody buggers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

@Onemoreposter said:

I think it's supposed to resemble the Vertigo John with the eye scar and all.

@lifeboy said:

The first couple of pic. It Iooked like constantines sleves could roll up. It would ha ve been off the hook if they could roll up to reveal the 2 matching symbol tattoos on his forarms. Then you could put the arms together like he does when the mess hits the fan. You bloody buggers

This isn't a figure of the movie character, so no harm, no foul.
    BB

Avatar image for shallbecomeabat
    Shallbecomeabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shallbecomeabat

Please give me a John Constantine statue, DC!!! I am reading Hellblazer for more than 10 years religiously and I own every single issue! I NEED A STATUE! Action Figures do, sadly, nothing for me! (Too small and I don't need the joints, prefer a cool pose) I want a nice Kotobukiya statue, which celebrates the end of Hellblazer and the start of his new 52 series. Pretty please?

BennyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BennyB

he looks ready to play air guitar.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Billy Batson said:

@Onemoreposter said:

I think it's supposed to resemble the Vertigo John with the eye scar and all.

@lifeboy said:

This isn't a figure of the movie character, so no harm, no foul.
    BB

Yea I was going to say this DCnU John doesn't have the scar 

@Shallbecomeabat said:
    Please give me a John Constantine statue, DC!!! I am reading Hellblazer for more than 10 years religiously and I own every single issue! I NEED A STATUE! Action Figures do, sadly, nothing for me! (Too small and I don't need the joints, prefer a cool pose) I want a nice Kotobukiya statue, which celebrates the end of Hellblazer and the start of his new 52 series. Pretty please?
    also this
    bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By bob808

The only thing I don't like is the joints.

rbenchley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rbenchley

@cbishop said:

Anyone else think the figure looks like Will Ferrel?

YES! It looks like Will Ferrell dressed as Harrison Ford in Blade Runner. This figure is complete garbage. With Hellblazer ending shortly, I'm almost through with DC. Once The Unwritten and All Star Western are done, so am I.

ReadItNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By ReadItNow

I like joints

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azrael66

Constantine is awesome but that figure's arms look weird.

And yeah, Constantine statue. Pretty please.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Nice looking figure, but the hands look too early 90's action figure grip, y'know? Also, no cigarettes? That's part of his motif!

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

John Constantine, Real Name: John Constantine.

Well, yeah. It's like an over simplified 'Bond, James Bond'.

But yeah, those clunky robot arms are a little weird.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Shallbecomeabat: This might be a little small, but it's not an action figure at least:

https://www.eaglemoss-shop.com/shop/fulldetails/3052

Shallbecomeabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shallbecomeabat

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Hey, thanks! I will get me one of those. its a bit small, but better than nothing.

I think I will add a hellblazer tattoo to my arm, somewhere down the line. Even better than a statue^^

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Shallbecomeabat:No problem. I haven't seen this figurine in person, but I have a good few Eaglemoss Marvel figurines, and am 23 pieces into the Batman chess set, and I can say that they do make good products.

Gosh, that'd be a big commitment. Are you a big fan then?

benblanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By benblanks

Eh, I'd have liked a Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon run-based figure personally, but I guess the Preacher figures didn't come out that well so maybe not...but yeah, no cigarettes? Almost as disappointing as the end of the already deplorable movie where instead of saying f**k it and smoking a cigarette after ridding his body of cancer he takes out a stick of gum instead, which is so out of character. I'm with the masses, let's get a statue.

Old_Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Old_Chris

Cool toy. Looking forward to buying it in the store.

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RoTheKid

Pretty cool toy! Thanks for posting these pics, Tony! :)

Avatar image for snootchie_bootchies
    snootchie_bootchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Minor flaws? There is nothing to this figure. It looks like a detective who would ask Batman questions at a crime scene. This figure reminds me of The Far Side comic strip when the dinosaur kid gets his "nerd' figure and completes his set.

irmensul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By irmensul

This can hardly be said to be awesome or cool..look at the atrocious articulation! That old space ghost toy is how the articulation should be done

Avatar image for mynemesistotoro
    MyNemesisTotoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MyNemesisTotoro

I like the figure but the trench coat is the EXACT same template as the one used for the Question DC Universe Classics figure. I probably only noticed because of how huge of a Question fan I am. Still a cool figure.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CitizenJP

Too bad he doesn't come with cigarettes.

Shallbecomeabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shallbecomeabat

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Yeah, yeah. Big time Hellblazer fan! Loved Azzarellos, Diggles and Milligans run the most, but liked overall nearly every issue. He is my favorite character in all of fiction after Batman. But the tattoo thing isn't that big of a thing for me since I am already heavily inked. You can see a few in my picture on my profile site. I already have three Batman tattoos and one giant Superman related. I think its only a matter of time until I add John. Only reason he is not on my skin yet is that some guy in a trenchcoat who smokes like a chimney isn't as iconic as Batman or a Superman logo. Are you a big Hellblazer fan?

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@cbishop: No

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThomasElliot

What happened to his face? (And I don't mean the scar).

Look up the DC Direct Hellblazer figure.... the coat isn't as detailed, but I think the face looks way better on that one.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Shallbecomeabat: I only started reading comics early last year, and have a few loose Hellblazer issues. I decided to wait until #300 before starting to buy them, but when I found out it was to be cancelled, I decided to buy the last story arc. It seems like a good series, but I got into comics at the wrong time for being a monthly reader. I'm planning on getting some TPBs at some point though.

I'm a Justice League Dark reader, and I'm planning on giving 'Constantine' a go when it starts, but I've heard mixed opinions on the DC version of him. What do you think?

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By KRYPTON

Thanks for the weekly toy picks. What kind of camera do you use? These are some great photographs!

Shallbecomeabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shallbecomeabat

@V_Scarlotte_Rose I think you should definately check him out. The great thing with Hellblazer is that you can start almost anywhere, since most creative teams don't influence each other much. Just make sure you start at the beginning of a writers tenure on the title. I would recommend newer stuff, like Azzarellos, Diggles or Milligans run. In my eyes among the best runs and all of them are relatively current, so the art isn't as old fashioned as older stuff, which can be jarring for someone who is new to comics. Azzarello has four trades out, I believe. Starts with "Hard Time". Diggles run starts with "Joyride" and Milligans with "Scab". Let me know if you checked any of them out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.