Follow

John Connor

Character » John Connor appears in 75 issues.

John Connor leader of the Tech-com rebellion against Skynet. Skynet is the mainframe computer of the planet which has calculated John Connor the leader of the enemy as being the biggest threat. He must continuously survive assassination attempts by Skynet in the past in order to save the future.

Terminator Salvation: The ComicVine Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I decided to do a brief written review as well (for those lacking speakers on their computer).  The bottom line is some people are going really like this movie and others might not.  Part of it will depend on where you're coming from.  How much do you cherish the Terminator franchise? 

No Caption Provided
    I was hooked when I saw the first film.  When T2 came out in theaters, it was a big deal.  T3 was a little bit of a let down but I still enjoyed it.  Terminator 2 3-D was cheesey fun.  I wanted to really like this movie.  I think in order to do so, you have to be willing to accept that certain changes may happen.  This isn't a typical Terminator movie as it's no longer in the present.  We also don't have Arnold walking around as the lead Terminator.  Because of those two factors, you have to view this sort of the next chapter in the franchise.

It is a refreshing change to finally be out of the present.  We've heard so much and have only had tiny glimpses into the future world.  This helps move the franchise and keeps it from getting stale.  I question the casting of Christian Bale as John Connor.  Only because this is the third John (fourth if you include Thomas Dekker from "The Sarah Connor Chronicles").  Bale is a good actor and does a decent job but it's still a little weird.  The plus to this is you can almost say he's not the lead in the movie.

No Caption Provided
    The story itself was far from perfect.  There were moments that felt slightly ridiculous but did serve to move the plot along.  If it wasn't for these minor glitches, the story wouldn't have succeeded.  This is where you have to ask what do you want out of this movie.  If you're looking for an entertaining movie, it accomplishes that.  On the other hand, if you're a Terminator purist, you're going to have some gripes.

If you allow yourself, you will enjoy the movie.  The visuals and effects are great.  We're finally seeing the war against humanity.  The theater I saw it in cheered at the end.  The movie will have successful weekend.  I was entertained.  My gut reaction was to give this movie a 4 out of 5.  I liked it.  It wasn't perfect.  There were some parts that bothered me.  But it was nice going back to the Terminator world and seeing what happens next.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

sounds like it wont be awesome... but i will still go ;-P

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

I so agree with you about being hooked with Terminator with the first movie.  This dates me, but the first Terminator movie was one of the first ones I'd rented on *gasp* VHS.  I was also--literally--the first one in the movie theatre to see T2 when it came out.  T3 was O.K., like you said.  Not great, but not bad.  This looks good.  I can accept Christian Bale in the role, no problem with it.  Despite all the hoopla regarding his immature ranting awhile ago, I think he's a good actor.  Can't believe you were able to see it already.  Blast You, G-Man!! 

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#3  Edited By TwilightThunder
    Pretty much what I expected to her and to read. Either way, thanks for the heads-up, G-Man. I knew McG wasn't going to redeem himself with a gig on Terminator, but hey, at least he pulled off what I thought was impossible for other directors and producers: he actually set the movie in the future I always wanted to watch on screen as a full-length movie and not just glimpses of it. And I think that's where T3 sort of failed. I wanted to see the future, the story was solved in T1 and T2. We don't needed present time anymore.

Regards, TwilightThunder (who just turned 20 years old, today).
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't know if I was being too picky.  Like I said, I did enjoy it.  It's weird because I've seen other reviews now and people are either loving it or hating it.

Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
    Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

gratz, and im going to go see the movie.

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#6  Edited By TwilightThunder

The Marines were badass in the first one. For me they were the unofficial starts of the first film. now I want them to have an even bigger part in this big sequel. And of course, the Transformers, those buckets of bolts have never looked so good on screen.

Oh, and I want Megan fox and Shia LaBeouf killed in action in this film, please.
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

The last I saw of the Terminator series was T2. Do I need to have seen Terminator 3 or The Sarah Connors Chronicles to be able to see this movie? If all I need to know is that it's John Connors and his group fighting off Terminators, then I'm in. 

I guess I'm not a purist or a completist - I thought the Terminator saga was pretty much contained to the first two movies...I guess there were further developments... 

Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Suigetsu

christian bale? the one ho did batman in dark knight?
    HAHAHAHA LMAO!

I hope it gets closed on its 1st opening week!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

Early reports list the midnight showing bringing in about $3 million.  It seems that not all theaters showing it had a midnight showing which could be why it made less than Wolverine did a couple weeks ago ($5 million).  As for how the movie will do, being that it's Memorial Day weekend, that could add to its weekend box office.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
    I just came from the Theaters... and I must say as a Terminator Fan... I liked this movie a lot... I give it an 85 out of 100

What I really liked about this film The Most though was Arnold Scwartzenegger's Terminator Cameo in it... I wish his part was a few minutes longer though

lmao
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Hellz Yeah son! This movie was everything a Terminator/Summer film should be. Loved the cameo, but what I really liked was how they split Marques' story and John Conners story. Added a new dimension that I really wasn't expecting. Kyle Reese/Checkoff (lil Star Trek humor for those who have seen both) was well played too. All in all I highly recomend this film. Sure its not re-eventing the wheel or anything but its a really good action flick with a really cool story driving it.

(Is it me, or is Common in everything now a days?)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn
    That dude who played Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation would be my vote for Actor of The Year... and he did a great job in the film... and he was Chekov in the Star Trek movie too ? Hell Yes
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

I like that you did the video review in the garage so G-Wife would not come out and yell at you for waking her up. :)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    " I like that you did the video review in the garage so G-Wife would not come out and yell at you for waking her up. :) "
    Yeah it was 2:30 in the morning.  I thought she might've heard me when I did the "We are all dead!" part the first time.  Luckily the garage is far enough away from the bedroom.  Lil' G-Girl was really bummed this morning as I finally went to sleep when they were just waking up (25 hours awake).  She was mad that I get to go to movies late at night and stay home and sleep during the day while she had to go to school.
    The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Psyentist

I'm seeing it this weekend. I hope I like it...

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn
    Arnold Scwartzenegger Is Back Snitches  !
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Really badass flick. Bloodmoon was great too.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
    @Gambler said:
    " Really badass flick. Bloodmoon was great too. "
    Yes She Was  !

Gak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gak

I really don't agree /w many of the reviews out there... i didn't think the movie was bad, i'd give the movie a B rating!
    u kno, even though the story didn't flow as well as T1 and T2, it made up for it with PLENTY of action.

and for once, we got to see what the whole apoc-future was like... i do think knowledge of the previous T-series was kinda important tho to really enjoy the movie.
    If they didn't put marcus's role in the trailers, i think it would have been a much better surprise when u actually see the movie and would've given the viewers something fresh =p

and yes Anton Yelchin as Kyle/chekov, he is gonna b an up and coming actor for sure =p (saw him in the Huff TV series and knew he'd make it big one day)

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

Just saw it, and recommend it to all!

mrjoshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By mrjoshua

The visuals and action were good but the story was weak. the part with Moon Bloodgood almost ruins it and the part with the heart transplant was just terrible. The cameo was great but went on a bit longer than it should. the movie starts off great, hits a few bumps throughout, the climax was good but the epilogue was horrid. Overall not a bad movie but nothing great either. I would still like to see another movie though.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.