Inkwash & Watercolors: The New Way to Draw Comics

Posted by G-Man (33940 posts) - - Show Bio

Artists, pencilers, inkers...ink washers? When you look at the credits in a comic, there are different titles given to those responsible for the drawing portion. While it might not exactly be a new way to draw comics, the inkwashes and watercolors method is getting more popular. We had a discussion on our podcast before over John Romita Jr's art on Kick-Ass 2 (with Tom Palmer doing inkwashes over his pencils) compared to his work on Avengers.

If you've read the recent Flashpoint: Reverse Flash one-shot or seen some of our past Awesome Art Picks, you've seen Joel Gomez use the process (he was also part of our Batman With A Broom video).

We asked Joel to give us a look at some of his art. He did more and even created a couple pieces as a Comic Vine Exclusive. These haven't been seen before! Check out his rendition of Darkseid.

When asked about the process, this is what he had to say.

These were samples I put together to showcase an ink-wash style that I felt could work reflecting the mood/tone of the book, interpreted in a new way.

These days, fans are finding their favorite characters or storylines being interpreted in so many new ways, enhancing the story and overall reading experience.

I think the ever-evolving approach to how comics are made is an important part of keeping comics relevant and interesting for fans new & old. With the demand for variety, in ways comics are consumed these days, the demand for more than one interpretation of these character or stories is increasing.
== TEASER ==

Here is a look at Joel's interpretation of Supergirl.

And tell me these Batman Beyond pages don't make you want to see Joel on a Batman Beyond reboot. These were done just for fun. Sheesh. Looks like he's having too much fun.

Besides being a great artist, Joel's also a really cool guy. To see more of his work, check out his Tumblr page and you can follow him on Twitter.

Staff
#1 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

I like. Too bad we can't have Alex Ross do his paintings for everything though, now that is always something.

#2 Posted by WolfMonkey (302 posts) - - Show Bio

this is sweet

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12761 posts) - - Show Bio

I likey!!

#4 Posted by ninjacommando (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it long time.

#5 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

=D

#6 Posted by Owie (3734 posts) - - Show Bio

Really nice. And a much better Supergirl costume.

#7 Posted by BatUniverse (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, I'm going to learn how to do that!

#8 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool batman beyond...

#9 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daveyo520 said:

I like. Too bad we can't have Alex Ross do his paintings for everything though, now that is always something.

Yep, once in a lifetime thing to see a current Alex Ross painting. It would be nice to see him make something

#10 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@KRYPTON : I saw some of his work for sale at NYCC a few years ago, let's just say it was not cheap.

#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

inkwashes and watercolors method. 
Interesting stuff..

#12 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

OH SUPER YEAH! :D

#13 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator said:

OH SUPER YEAH! :D

lol

#14 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

batman beyond is slotted to return in 2012. we should twitterbomb DC comics and tell them we want him on it!!!!! id like to see him do the pink glowy person!!!

#15 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daveyo520: Yeah I saw the same at NYCC, forget how many years ago that was, two or so. Great artwork is usually never cheap.

#16 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

its weird most people want batman beyond to look like the show but honestly thats great

#17 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I would buy a batman beyond book drawn by him

#18 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who calls inkwash and watercolors something new to comics clearly needs to get themselves out of the tiny box they've locked themselves into.

#19 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the effect, but like anything it would have to be done well.

#20 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

It still takes talent to create these wonderful comic images. Thanks for this great article.

#21 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is an awesome art style! That Darkseid and Supergirl are top notch! I say include it more and more because I love variety as much as the next person :)

#22 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic!

Great read^^

#23 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio

@Psychotime said:

Anyone who calls inkwash and watercolors something new to comics clearly needs to get themselves out of the tiny box they've locked themselves into.

Exactly my thoughts. I've been messing around with watercolours since forever because that's what I learned to paint with, not that I'd consider myself to be a proper artist or anything, it just seemed like a natural and easy way to colour comic art. But people like Mike Mayhew have been doing this for years, not to mention Jill Thompson on Beasts of Burden and many others. Different in a world where digital colours is the norm, but hardly groundbreaking.

#24 Posted by SC (13101 posts) - - Show Bio

Awwh coolness! Great thread! 

#25 Posted by FalcomAdol (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daveyo520 said:

I liked Alex Ross better when he was called Sam Kieth.

#26 Posted by Crowman (435 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff. Could be better. But good.Stuff.
#27 Posted by The Jeff (290 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl looks just like Dee Reynolds

#28 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

Great blog.
The ink Wash is great that this site is teaching it.
The Ink Wash is part of the reason I prefer DC visually right now.
Manapul is a great example.

#29 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.
BB

#30 Posted by darksoul7th (210 posts) - - Show Bio

WE NEED DARKSEID BACK!!

#31 Posted by J1ml33 (538 posts) - - Show Bio

taking notes ...

#32 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

it's alright for comics.

#33 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Is batman beyond gone for good?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.