Follow

Joe Quesada

Person » Joe Quesada is credited in 16942 issues.

Joseph Quesada is an American comic book editor, writer and artist. He is former editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics and current Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Entertainment.

Random Thoughts: Joe Q is a Concept Thief

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetropolisKid41

I guess this is an attempt at an editorial, but I'm sure its gonna be more along the lines of a rant about Joe Q.

Many people joke, poke fun at, or accuse Joe Quesada, Marvel's Editor-In-Chief of being a copy cat and idea stealer. In all comics you're going to see parallels, Quicksilver = the Flash, Thanos=Mongul, Avengers=Justice League, Cap=Batman, etc. the list goes on and on. But lately it seems pretty evident that Joe Q. has no problem stealing or adopting DC creative team ideas into his own practices at Marvel. You're always going to have some artists or writers who bounce back and forth between the big 2 companies and with them they'll spread their own artist and creative influence and fingerprint on those companies, that's understandable and not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a blantant copying of huge game changing original ideas and crossovers. Blackest Night, a phenomenol huge event, that really changed the status quo of the DCU many heroes long dead are back, some more died, all the while the heroes of the DCU were battling possessed reanimated corpses of their former teammates and friends. The whole event was centered around the Green Lantern mythos, who's main principle is overcoming fear, everyone knows that. No this isn't a super copy cat move, there have been much worse by Joe Q but you can't help but see the parallels in a crossover main event titled Fear Itself. Really, Fear Itself, that's what you're gonna go with it? And from what I understand, heroes are battling their possessed teammates and friends. Maybe I have that wrong, but that seems kind of Blackest Nightish to me.

But that is by far not the what really makes me mad at Joe Q. DC announced this huge game changing plan, to totally reboot their comics universe, not a clean up of continuity like they had done in the past with Crisis on Infinite Earths and the sequel Infinite Crisis, no I'm talking about all new #1s, and some characters, like Superman having their entire 75 year character history erased and started over from square one. That includes the 2 longest running comic series in the industry, Action Comics (over 900 issues) and Detective Comics starting over at #1. Wow now that is a bold move. So what does Joe Q and Marvel do 3 months later? He announces that coming in November, 3 months after DC's reboot, that a bunch of titles like Uncanny X-MEN and Fantastic Four will be rebooted starting with new #1s. And I'm going to guess we'll be getting a new Spiderman #1 after Spider-Island. Hmm, that sounds familiar doesn't it? Really you couldn't even wait a year? You had to jump on the reboot bandwagon 3 months later, how original.

Now don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying the X titles right now, they are the best they've been in a long time, and I'm excited to see what Schism brings, however no matter how good these stories are, it's difficult to respect an Editor like Joe Q who simply is copying what the other industry head is doing. What makes this situation even worse is that Marvel is the industry leader, yet they aren't coming up with very many new ideas these days, and have resorted to copying a competitor who has less of the market share than they do, not real classy of a company who touts themselves as "The House of Ideas."

I will continue to read Marvel books, mainly the X titles, like Uncanny X-Force, which is mind blowing awesome right now, but that doesn't mean I have to respect their Editor-In-Chief. Dan Didio may do a lot of things that upset fans, but damn you gotta respect a man who lays his neck on the line when he made a bold move like this to reboot DC. He is truly worthy of his postion at the helm of DC. Dan Didio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Joe Q.

The numbers don't lie, this truly has been a historic month for sales for DC Comics, and many comic shop owners believe it is what is going to push them into first place as the #1 comic company in the industry. I hope so, they deserve it, Joe Q will probably be okay with that as well, if DC brings in more money from sales, they will probably start pumping out even more bold ideas that Joe Q can steal.

Hopefully he'll eventually copy DC and make all their books only $2.99.  

Let the Marvel lovers' hate rain down on me now haha
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By turoksonofstone

LMAO. Joe Q is a better EIC than anyone DC has ever had. Get a Grip. People copy Marvel the Industry leader, not the other way around..

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Maybe everyone should just stop buying DC and Marvel and move on to bigger and better things...like Image or Vertigo :D

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @turoksonofstone

With the way sales are looking it will be DC who is the industry leader.  And no I think I've made a pretty clear argument here. DC announces a relaunch, comes out with 52 new #1's and instantly Marvel jumps on the bandwagon and starts re-numbering a bunch of issues in November with a new #1. Uncanny X-MEN is Marvel's longest running continuously numbered book, and in November they're starting a new #1. New Fantastic Four #1 as well. Marvel announced close to 15-20 new #1s in the month of November.  

@texasdeathmatch: 

Vertigo is an imprint of DC.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By iLLituracy

They both suck.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    I thought Blackest Night was more similar to Necrosha than Fear Itself.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

@texasdeathmatch said:

Maybe everyone should just stop buying DC and Marvel and move on to bigger and better things...like Image or Vertigo :D

You mean smaller things :p
    BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@TheGoldenOne said:
    I thought Blackest Night was more similar to Necrosha than Fear Itself.

This.
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By texasdeathmatch

@Billy Batson said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

BB

It's not the size that counts...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

@texasdeathmatch said:

@Billy Batson said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

BB

It's not the size that counts...

She lied.
    BB

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By texasdeathmatch

@Billy Batson:

No Caption Provided
    REBOOTCATEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By REBOOTCATEXE

Eh. The concept of the dead risen and the fear based stories are really old school, the former, especially zombies was popular in the media

at the time and both were riding that train and biting it's success.No foul there really.

As far renumbering, as another user, Vance I think well put this, renumbering is the way of starting a new volume of a series

in comics and is nothing new nor a concept. Marvel in fact does this so many times it's silly, and almost always this is

accompanied with the All-New All Different version of said comic.

Avatar image for catpanexe_reborn
    CATPANEXE_REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CATPANEXE_REBORN

On the other hand, DC did just have Jim Lee redesign their classics and relaunch them in a new version of continuity, one meshed

with other properties, like Jim Lee's for instance, with number 1 issues,

everyone's aware of that, so maybe your their is some concept theft...somewhere? ;P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.