Joe Madureira on Drawing More at Marvel

Posted by G-Man (30669 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Madureira has recently started making his return to comics. After seven years working on video games with Virgil and THQ, he's now ready to start drawing again. He made his return on the first three issues of AVENGING SPIDER-MAN. We haven't seen too much from him since.

In an interview with Nerdist.com, Joe mentioned his next project won't be back in AVENGING SPIDER-MAN and gave a hint what we could expect.

Sorry, this isn't a new piece of art.
I’ve moved on to a different Marvel title, and while it isn’t the Avenging Spider-Man, it does feature Spidey (and this time he’s teamed up with Wolverine… and Elektra!). Spidey will always have a special place in my heart, and I usually jump at the chance to draw him, so let’s see what else comes down the pipe after this project... All I can say is that it’s got Wolverine in it, Spidey and Elektra. And Ninja. Lots of Ninja.

What title could he be talking about? Wolverine already has two new Marvel NOW! titles coming. Will this be just a guest appearance, a miniseries or something more?

Head over to Nerdist.com to read the full interview along with more on why he left video games and the status of BATTLE CHASERS.

Staff
#1 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

That Hulk is perhaps the most hideous creature I have ever laid mine eyes upon.

#2 Posted by scarspider (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Joe Mad's work! I don't know why he doesn't do more comic stuff.

#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (36459 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! I love a good deal of his work, most notably his UXM 350 cover:

Staff
#4 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

More Joe MAD would be awesome, but I'd rather see him work on an original story than Marvel stuff. I bought a lot of the early BATTLE CHASERS. I loved it but the release was so random.

#5 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad about his depature but ALL ABOARD D MAD COMIC TRAIN HOOT HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like an issue of A+X

#7 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers?

#8 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

My second favorite artist of all time. Loved Darksiders!!!

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see him do some more Spider-Man (if Humberto Ramos isn't around, that is :P)

#10 Posted by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@Azrael66 said:

Are you certain?

#11 Posted by MagmaGazer (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. Loved this guy's work, and it's great to have him back in comics.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32867 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Knights?

#13 Posted by Novemberx2 (407 posts) - - Show Bio

please don't be the ultimates again!

#14 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

My second favorite artist of all time. Loved Darksiders!!!

Darksiders was under rated. Did you play Darksiders 2 aswell? That's probably my favourite game of this year.

#15 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see this new project Joe Mad is working on. Really hope we don't have to wait for too long for it. I really digged his arc on Avenging Spider-Man and I loved his work on Ulitmates 3. Even if the story was shit.

#16 Edited by wmwadeii (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

Sounds like an issue of A+X

That's what I was thinking. Love MAD's art. I wish he would take over the AoA series art. I don't care for the dark style it has, preferred the style of the original series back in the 90s.

#17 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Joe Mad's artwork/style...I'll read crappy comics just to see his work.

@Azrael66 said:

You must meet my mom then.......ooooh, sick burn....on myself, damnit.

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad he's coming back. Hope to see some good stuff from him.

#19 Posted by dementedtheclown (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes an amazing artist

#20 Posted by Grey56 (728 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Marvel Knights?

This would be nice. Just so long as it's not 'Ultimate' this or that or some ridiculous new "ongoing" which "goes on" for all of a few issues. Put the man on a flagship title and I won't care if it's a third tier character - I'll buy it. Until then though I will void it as I have all the others. Battle Chasers though - not a gale force from hell could keep me from that.

#21 Posted by alex6166 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

There's one word for this: ULTRA-MEGA-AWESOME!

I have that House of M variant, btw. It had different colors. That looks like a fan-job. Battlechasers? Man, what a book. Look at the Hobbit coming out, you think Hollywood would finally make the thing. maybe give Joe Mad a nudge to finish it. Yeah, I bought Ultimates 3, too. Hey, atleast it looked cool.

#22 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent work, if I do say so myself!

#23 Posted by Mr Marvel82 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooo!!! Please don't be anything X-men related. I remember his work from back in the 90's with Onslaught. No more... please. No more of that.

#24 Edited by sheldipez (73 posts) - - Show Bio

His work in Avenging Spider-Man was great

More please.

#25 Posted by DarklyDreamingDeadpool (174 posts) - - Show Bio

i love his art, it looks like back in the 90s, awsome.

#26 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite artist all time. If he can do more than three issues a year , I'm with it.

#27 Posted by Kimeraevent (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, no. Just no. I'm tired of him coming on books or starting books and either never finishing them (Battlechasers) or leaving after doing a handful of issues (Avenging Spiderman). Or waiting for MONTHS for a single issue that he was commissioned at least 6 months beforehand to finish. Also Ultimates 3 was a bastardization of the entire Ultimate Marvel line. He and Loeb took the look and feel Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar put on the series and just crapped all over it. His work started out very innovative, distinct and worthwhile, but since he started Battlechasers he has just let it all slide. He is just as bad for a regular book as J.Scott Campbell. It always sounds cool and seems like a great idea, but it will end badly. And quickly. Very very quickly.

If he does anything he should just do it as a graphic novel. Definitely. I would buy a completed story Joe Mad graphic novel. Never a monthly from him, never again.

#28 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

i love Joe's work just as long as he keeps working on it.

#29 Posted by pingclang (243 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with a lot of you, Mr. Madureia has a great style, I love people you can instantly recognize and don't try for photo-realistic art. That said if he is going do a book, which is very exciting, I just want him to stick with it. Uncanny X-Men was his longest stint on a book and it wasn't all that long. We will see.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.